Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Painting finished wood trim - tips/tricks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-02 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Painting finished wood trim - tips/tricks?

I am going to paint the wood trim in my house.  Right now it has a pretty thick stain that is sort of milky, like a wash.  Of course that is also coated with a layer of clear lacquer, or whatever they finished wood with in 1950.  Fortunately I don't think any of it's been touched in the past 60 years otherwise.

I want to put on a standard white paint (the old Swiss Coffee from Behr, probably).

I assume I need to rough up the existing finish.  Is a hand sanding good enough?  How much grit to start with?  Or, should I actually try to use a wood stripper?  If I did, I would go with a liquid sander. I am not taking the wood off, anything I do happens in situ so I can't do anything that will wreck the floor.

I am just looking for advice for the easiest way to do this that will allow the paint to stick.  Any thoughts?

2012-05-02 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4185661

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Subject: RE: Painting finished wood trim - tips/tricks?
Hand sanding is fine.  They make these little sanders called a mouse sander.  I think they are around $20 and have the variated paper from coarse to fine that velcro to it.  Much easier!  Do a coarse paper of like 80 to get the old coat off, then run over it with a fine paper.  Wipe clean, let dry and paint over! 
2012-05-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4185716

User image

Elite
Cleveland
ecozenmama - 2012-05-02 9:48 AM

Hand sanding is fine.  They make these little sanders called a mouse sander.  I think they are around $20 and have the variated paper from coarse to fine that velcro to it.  Much easier!  Do a coarse paper of like 80 to get the old coat off, then run over it with a fine paper.  Wipe clean, let dry and paint over! 

Yup, that's about it.
Perhaps clean it real quick before you try to sand - just in case there's any kind of grime build up that the sand paper might end up just smearing around.

Test paint a small section before you do a lot of it, you may need to apply a primer first to get really good coverage with the paint.
2012-05-02 10:48 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Gladden makes a gel paint specifically for this task if you haven't bought pint yet. It is oil based and has a pretty strong smell for 24 hrs. But it goes on like glass and really looks nice when dry,
2012-05-02 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4186030

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Thanks!  I had already hand sanded a small section, so I was hoping that would work. It seemed so smooth still, but I can't tell between lacquer and smooth finished wood probably.

I will look for the gel Glidden stuff, thanks!

2012-05-02 4:29 PM

User image

Check with your local paint/hardware store.  Several manufacturers make a special primer that goes on over a lacquer or urethane finish.  Way easier than sanding.

2012-05-02 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4186961

User image

Master
Beijing

grizzlyclyde - 2012-05-01 5:29 PM Check with your local paint/hardware store.  Several manufacturers make a special primer that goes on over a lacquer or urethane finish.  Way easier than sanding.

This.  See if you can find a small piece of trim to take to the paint store with you.   I like Sherwin Williams (they had a primer for painting brick... I used it when painting our old house.  When I got it on my hands it WOULD NOT come off.  Great stuff.)  Show them what you're doing and they can recommend a primer for you.

Painting 2 coats will always be easier than sanding!  

I would also recommend getting something like a Wagner Power Painter or the equivalent.   Sprayed trim looks SO MUCH better, especially if you're using a gloss or semi-gloss.    Get a couple of sawhorses that you don't care about, and take everything out in the yard and start spraying.   Everything goes so much quicker than brushing.  

2012-05-03 8:23 AM

New user
Yorkville, IL

Start by cleaning the trim. I have had the best results with Soilax. It comes in a box and just mix it in a bucket of warm water. it cleans great and does not leave a residue.

Next you will need to sand the surface. You want to use a medium/fine grit for this. The two best methods I have found are either use a red scuff pad (found in the painting section) wrapped around a dried out sponge, or get one of the sanding sponges ready made (also in the painting section) The sponge will help the abrasive conform to the trim contours and will let you really speed through the sanding part of the job. You will want to be sure there is no glossy areas left when you are done sanding. If you are using regular sandpaper, shoot for a grit around 300, that will give a good balance of power without causing large gouges you will see through your new paint.

The sanding will seem like a real pain, but this is a job you do not want to redo. remember, a paint job is only as good as the base it is painted on.

Use a good masking tape on either side of the trim to protect the walls/floor as this will give you a nice sharp line, and will let you cruise with the brush and get done in half the time.

One last tip, use a good quality latex paint and dillute it slightly with water. No more than 5% dillution, but the dilluting will let the paint flow better and it will reduce the visible brush lines. Use a good quality brush too. Hope this helps, and good luck. Nothing like some nice fresh color to brighten up your abode

2012-05-03 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Also, Behr paint is TERRIBLE!!! Buy Lowes Valspar or Dutch-Boy.

Oil based Kilz will cover lacquer finishes nicely. I painted some 1960's paneling by priming with that and 1 coat of Dutch-Boy topcoat and it was perfect. Really visually opened up a narrow stairwell making it look much wider than the 3 feet it actually was.
2012-05-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4187857

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Wow, so many ways to skin a cat!  Thanks guys!

I'm thinking:

clean thoroughly to remove grease, etc

sanding sponge

visit hardware store to talk about primer/paint options.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-05-03 9:52 AM
2012-05-03 10:36 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I second (or triple or whatever...) looking for special paint.  Depending on how much trim - it can save you a LOT of time.  I just painted the doors that were 80's dark brown last year - found a paint called "Cabinet, Door and Trim" paint - it was Dutch Boy, but I'm sure all brands have its' own similar.  I actually primed, because the color was so dark...but just depends on instructions.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Painting finished wood trim - tips/tricks? Rss Feed