United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 19s
Overall Rank = 14/204
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off, climbed into the shower to wake me up, fed the dogs/cats/fish, made myself a PB&J sandwich, loaded up the Jeep and got on the road.

Got to the Speedway a little over a half hour later. Had to drive around a bit before I figured out that we were supposed to park INSIDE the Speedway. How sweet is that?

Took my stuff into transition and picked out a sweet spot on the racks. Gotta love running my sponsor's races. Team Ironhead has the best rack reserved just for us. Set my stuff up and went inside the garage to stretch and stay warm.

Finally met up with Matt and Jacob. Checked out Jacob's sweet new Blackwell disc/100 combo. Damn I'm gonna miss racing on my disc.

Then out of the blue I was approached by my buddy Austen. He was a kinesiology grad student and I volunteed for one of his experiments. I was the only one who was excited about getting muscle biopsies. Turns out he was here doing his first duathlon. He's a cyclist but doesn't run much so he was going to pace his wife along as she raced. Small world.

Time to warm up.
Event warmup:

Headed out on the run course to do a quick 15 minute jog. Circled around the inner track and took in the sight now because I knew I wasn't going to be paying attention later.

Headed the Jeep to step on the scale and get my pre-race weight. Went back to transition and dropped off my warm-up clothes. Stood through the pre-race meeting and then seeded myself near the front with the fast runneres.
Run
  • 11m 33s
  • 1.8 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

39 and under was the first wave and I was standing near the front with just one row of guys in front of me. Oh shit. What am I thinking?

Jack shot off the air horn and we were off. The rabbits jumped out immediately and they formed a group of 4 or 5. The chase pack wasn't far behind and within a quarter mile there were two dozen of us stretched out. Jacob was near the front, I was bringing up the back.

By the 1 mile mark the pack had split and I was running with two other guys at a nice clip. We were holding steady and slowly starting to reel people in. The 40+ group started 4 minutes after us so we were passing people left and right, but just a few were actually ahead of us.

As I made the turn for transition I started to take off my gloves. One less thing to do in transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Fastest run pace I've ever thrown down.
Transition 1
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Shoes off as I put on my glasses and helmet. Grabbed my bike and ran. Nothing else necessary; 4th fastest T1 overall.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 43m 40s
  • 16.3 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed before climbing into my shoes. Rode through the tunnel and got out onto the road. Passed three people in quick order and started to settle in to an appropriate race pace. Then I realized just how cold it was. OMG, it's freezing!

Down a small hill and picked off two more riders. Came around the Speedway shop and noticed the flags were perfectly still. So the freezing cold wind was just from the speed I was riding and the lack of warm cycling clothes.

Rode up the short hilly section and around the bend was the downhill stretch. Damn this was fast. Must have averaged 28MPH on this section, picked off two more riders along the way.

Came around the last corner and moved over to avoid the slower riders just getting onto the course. Two more laps to go. Now the course was more crowded and I was spending a lot more time passing people. No real good way to tell which ones were behind me and I was lapping and who was ahead of me and I was passing.

Tried to keep up a steady pace, but the cold was really starting to get to me. I just wanted this to end already. At least when I was running I was keeping warm. My HR was below my race zone and no matter how hard I tried I just keep it on target.

Mid-way through the 2nd lap two guys managed to pass me. One I had passed earlier and one I hadn't seen until now. Must have been the 40+ leader.

Came around for the start of the last lap and downed a Hammer gel from my flask. Took a bit of extra work becuase of the cold, but I was able to get to it.

This time around the flags were just starting to blow. Looks like I avoided the majority of the wind. Up the last hill and passing people left and right. I'm gonna kill in the overall standings today.

Final downhill and pushed the pace but didn't want to hammer too hard. Hit the last corner and headed back into the Speedway. Came down the straight away and climbed out of my shoes. Slowed and jumped off my bike before the dismount line. Ran full speed into T2.

Warmer clothing. I was miserable and it really hurt my time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Didn't quite get my bike racked as cleanly as I could have. My hands were freezing and it took me a second or two to unclip my helmet. Stumbled again getting my hat on. This transition was ugly. Got my shoes on and grabbed my flag as I ran.

Dropped the bottom half of the flag pole just before the timing mat. 15th fastest T2, but it was ugly and could have been a lot better.

Gloves would have kept my hands warm and I would have been much faster.
Run
  • 12m
  • 1.8 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good to be running again. There was one guy not far ahead of me so I used him as my rabbit and did what I could to hold a steady pace. My HR was slowly climbing and now I was back into my race zone.

The wind was picking up in the Speedway and the back side of the straight away was into the head wind. The winner was coming down the final stretch as I finished my first lap. Grabbed a glass of water and started to really push for the last mile.

There were only 10 people on the run when I started so 25 or so now seemed really crowded. I managed to pass 3 of the guys on their first lap. Great mental booster that late in the race. Around the final bend and across the finish line. Gasping for air and doing my best not to puke. Totally worth it for 2nd in my AG and 14th overall.

Nothing. Great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, put my warm-ups back on and headed to the Jeep to step on the scale again. Lost almost a pound and a half. Went back to get my Endurox and find out how everyone else did.

Stayed around for the awards. Team Ironhead took home 10 pieces of hardware and 9 of us were in the top 20. Just about as dominant as a team can be.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor clothing choices. The cold killed my bike split.

Event comments:

Awesome race. The run course on the inner TMS track was awesome. Advertised as 2 miles, Jack said it was 1.95, my Garmin said 1.8 on both counts. My times agree with 1.8 so that's what I'm calling it. Bike course was also longer than 15 but Jack never claimed he knew the exact distance.

There will more than likely be two TMS races next year and I'll probably be on board for both.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:33 | 01.8 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 27/204
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:43:40 | 16.3 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 12/204
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:12:00 | 01.8 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 21/204
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0.7
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-21 11:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-02-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: #698856

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Texas Motor Speedway Du
Great RR.  I can't imagine how cold your hands must have been.
2007-02-22 8:48 AM

Expert
Houston, TX
Nice job Aaron! Great race!
2007-02-22 10:39 AM

Champion

Wasn't it hard to run on the embankments?  I guess if you run fast enough it doesn't matter.

Heh.

2007-02-22 11:13 AM

Regular
Spring, TEXAS
Awesome race. Congrats on the hardware.
2007-02-22 11:28 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race, Aaron.  I didn't know the run course was on the inside of the track!  Was this the first time it was on the inside?

2007-02-22 11:53 AM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race!  Fast man, fast!
2007-02-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #699396

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great race Aaron. Yes, it was a t$t bit nippley for the tri outfit only. If we are calling the run portion 2 miles, I bet everyone had a personal best. 1.8 sounds about right.

Edited by docshock1964 2007-02-22 2:02 PM
2007-02-22 7:46 PM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Cold weather sucks during races.  Really makes it hard to get to your target HR and keep your hands from freezing.  Nice job.
2007-02-23 10:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
Wow.  Sounds like a fun race!  Great job!
2007-02-23 1:48 PM

Master
McKinney, TX
Great race. Hate that I missed it this year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Motor Speedway Du Rss Feed