General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool/Bike Transition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-13 8:21 PM

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
Subject: Pool/Bike Transition
This is my bigget question as a newbie. Do ya just swim in your bike/running/tri shorts?

2004-05-13 10:49 PM
in reply to: #24830

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Subject: RE: Pool/Bike Transition
Hi,

They make one piece swim/bike/run outfits specfically for tri's.
www.worldwideaquatics.com has some nice TYR suits.

Good Luck,
Evelyn
2004-05-13 10:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
My only two mini-tris occured when the air temp was a bit chilly. I swam in my swimsuit and then put on pants and a singlet and a jacket for the bike. I lost the jacket for the run the first time, but I lost both the pants and jacket and added running shorts the second time. I'd rather lose time than have my a$$ hanging out for the run. Kinder for all, really. For my next mini-tri, I plan to wear tri-shorts and a jog top for the swim, and then put a top on over it for the bike and run portions.

I totally understand the question. It is a very puzzling part of the event for the newbie.
2004-05-14 7:06 AM
in reply to: #24856

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
and the coupon code 2488 is good until the 20th, not the 10th.  I finally ordered mine.
2004-05-14 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
England

Both my sprint tri's so far I used my lycra bike shorts and had no problems in the water or the on the run - didn't even notice they were wet on the bike etc. I've just got a trisuit to avoid need for putting on clothes at T1 etc but it is basically padded shorts with an integrated singlet top.

Biggest thing is a t-shirt made of a material that is easy to put on in the wet - in case nobody has already said it - don't even think about a cotton t-shirt and use a man-made running type top that goes on easy when wet. If in doubt, try it after a shower!

Edited by Bigpikle 2004-05-14 7:13 AM
2004-05-14 2:42 PM

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
Thanks for the comments so far. How much training do you usually do in the trisuit? Not sure I want to spend 30-50 and train everyday in them. I would prefer to run in my 'cheap' shorts and use my extra paddded shorts for long rides.

2004-05-14 5:21 PM

Walnut Creek, CA
I had a lot of questions about this too. I wear my tri shorts and a TYR training top (bathing suit material) in the pool. Then throw a running tank on at T1 and I'm set. I don't have clipless pedals yet so I don't have to do anything but stash my bike in T2. I am very budget-concious also so try not to wear the tri shorts unless I'm doing a swim/bike workout.
2004-05-14 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I can't speak for myself, yet. I just learned that my local Fleet Feet has a small selection of tri clothes. After my trip, I'll be heading down and picking up a pair of tri shorts and a bra-top-singlet thingy.

As for wearing your tri-shorts training, I can tell you that my BF wears his RNH shorts to swim class twice a week, and washes them once a week (OK, *I* wash them) and has been doing so for over a year now, and they're practically as good as new. He doesn't wear them for cycling, though. They aren't padded very much and he prefers to wear his regular cycling shorts (which have a thicker pad).

As for running, he generally wears his Umbro running shorts for that, but I've seen him use his tri shorts too.
2004-05-14 10:48 PM

OK, this goes far beyond your original question, but here is a good idea for working your way into the clothing part of this sport. If you don't already own a good pair of bike shorts, buy a pair of tri shorts for $30-40. If you look around you will find a good pair on sale for that. Wear them for training this year on all your rides (not runs or in the pool). Then next winter buy a good pair of Pearl Izumi bike shorts (will run about $75-100, but are well worth the price for how long they last and how comfortable they are). Then just use your tri shorts for racing. They will last another 3-4 seasons, as will the Pearl Izumi's. Buy a nice bike jersey that will breath really well. Buy it with your hottest race in mind. You can always put layers on top for cooler training rides. I spent $35 on a Pearl Izumi sleevless jersey. Over next winter (or when the retailers or online stores have their clearance sales) buy a good quality bike jersey. Then just wear the original jersey for races. Now you have a training combo and a racing combo. And if you plan it right you can maybe work the good bike shorts and jersey in as Christmas gifts.

Find a good swim short that is inexpensive. I wear the resistance short from http://www.tri-zone.com/and they last me about 2 years for under $20 (I only swim twice a week though).

For running clothes just go to the local sportsmart or other chain sporting goods store (you'll pay a premium at the local running store) and get a good pair of shorts and a long and short sleeved cool max shirt. The Nike dry fit shirts last forever if you can find them and you are comfy in them. Shorts...$20. Shirts....~$40 (for 2).

On race day wear your tri shorts and race jersey under your wetsuit and when you strip the wetsuit off you have no clothing to put on. Makes for VERY fast transitions. If you don't have a wetsuit just wear your tri shorts and slip on your race jersey in T1. It really helps if your race jersey has a long zipper in front (much easier to put on and also provides air conditioning during hotter races).

Hope this helps.
2004-05-16 1:53 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Good suggestions so far. Here's another one. Go to Ebay.com and type "triathlon" into your search. You'll be amazed at what comes up! Tri suits, bikes, watches, and all sort of other stuff. You can get some pretty good deals too. Good luck.
2004-05-16 7:54 AM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I just don't fit into the singlets. I've tried every brand, and even in an XL they are too tight in the chest and huge everywhere else. So, I'm going to wear tri-shorts and a swim top. Here's my question: Does the swim top offer enough support to wear alone for the bike/run or should I wear a sports bra under the swim top and take the swim top off for the bike/run? The guy at the tri store suggested the latter, but I think he may have just been trying to sell me more stuff.

2004-05-16 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I have a triathlon coming up on May 22 and had planned on doing the three legs in a pair of triathlon shorts which I ordered some weeks ago. I looks like they may not come in on time so I will simply wear an old pair of cycling shorts; I would not wear them for an Ironman distance but this is only a sprint so it will not hamper anything.....I hope.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool/Bike Transition Rss Feed