General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance - How did you learn? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-05 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Bike Maintenance - How did you learn?
I need to learn basic bike maintenance and care.  I've found several websites and video clips to help with this.  

Any recommendations?  How did you learn bike maintenance?

My training partner bought one of those tool gadgets that has every tool needed to repair a bike.  I asked him if he knows how to use it and he said no.  I said, so if we're 20 miles down Plank road and somethng happens and I'm looking at you for help, you're going to pull out that fancy tool gadget and not know what to do with it!

With the rides getting longer, I want/need to be fairly self-sufficient at taking care of minor bike issues and basic maintenance.

2009-09-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2391091

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Bike Maintenance - How did you learn?
things broke and i had no money to fix them;-)

parktool.com has a lot of stuff in it.

the things you really need to learn though are derailer adjustments (this is what effects shifting)
how to change tires.
2009-09-05 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
My LBS has bike maintenance workshops, some of which are specifically geared toward women. I can see where that might be a draw even though the bikes don't really know the difference between girly bits and boy bits...do they? 

Anyhoo, the workshops are really helpful because they keep the classes very small, and they have you bring your own bike and work on it.

Maybe there is something like that in your area? If not, come back to beautiful O-H-I-O for a visit and we'll go hang at the LBS together!

Edited by GMM 2009-09-05 10:02 AM
2009-09-05 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I don't know much, but what I do know I've picked up from the internet and mechanics at the LBS. I'd bring it in and ask what they used to fix it and if it is a cheap tool, I'll buy it so I don't need to bring it in again (i.e. lockring tool and chainwhip)...stuff like that is cheap and will make you more self reliant and save you alot of money in the long run...If they aren't busy, then I'll hover and watch them too.I also just bought a stand and the Park Tool Big Blue Book and that seems to have alot in it. I've only thumbed through it so far. It's pretty cheap so worth getting in my opinion...I'm still not anywhere near where I need to be, but just tinkering with your bike helps alot.
2009-09-05 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
I bought the book Bicycling Maintenance and Repair and when I was in the LBS once day buying some spare tubes and CO2 cartridges one day the young man helping me offered to teach me how to change my tire right then and there. It was a very thorough lesson, too. He took me step by step and watched me do each part to make sure I did it right. I also bought some lube and he racked my bike and showed me how to do that as well. I have watched a few videos as well on derailleur adjustment, but if mine were really out of whack I'd most likely take my bike back to the LBS for adjustment. I think I'm the only woman among those I ride with who knows how to change my tire.
2009-09-05 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Zinn and the art of bicycle maintainance (great book) as well as trial and error.

2009-09-05 11:26 AM

Master
I'm not a bike guru, but I'm confident enough after a year of complete noobdom to keep it in tip-top working order with minor derailleur adjustments, entire drivetrain cleaning, and other little but important things like brake pad replacement and rim cleaning when it squeals. I've yet to take my Cervelo to the LBS for its 1st tuneup since I do it all myself and its fun and not time consuming.

I learned everything I know from youtube and Parktool videos. With a Cervelo, you can literally type in stuff like "how to remove a Cervelo rear wheel" and tons of videos will appear. I just removed my cassette for cleaning the other day - lots of good youtube stuff for that as well. 

I love books, but I tried using Zinn's manuals, and for sure, the youtube stuff is not only more interesting, but far more comprehensible and immediately applicable. I'd use Zinn mainly only after I knew how to do one setup really well and wanted to try other parts or setups. For learning from ground up though, youtube and parktool is awesome.
2009-09-05 11:30 AM

Master
Also as an aside - I'm surprised with how little you need to "maintain" a bike. I'd say it's easily doable with:- NO bike stand- Paper towels for wiping down frame & chain- Hex wrench set (take this with you for seat adjustments etc)- Bottle of Simple green (for degreasing) and a water spray bottle- Small bottle of chain lube- (Flat tire stuff to take with you en route)I use only this after each long ride.I own a bike stand , more tools, etc., but honsetly, if you get your bike tuned once at the LBS, this is all you'll need for months until something like a new tire. With today's excellent component quality, a new bike will rarely need derailleur adjustments after the initial cable stretch.I do the more extensive cleanjobs & breakdowns, but I honestly felt it was unnecessary since I clean my bike after almost every ride (takes <5 mins.)
2009-09-05 11:57 AM

New user
I took a class at a local bike shop. I was the only one with a road bike, as the place sells only commuter bikes and is in an area with tons of students. But the staff was very knowledgeable and I learned a good amount. It was $100 for 5 Sunday nights for 2 hours. We did fixing a flat, front hub adjustment, break adjustment, sizing and replacing chain, rear derailer adjustment.

Edited by chasing3 2009-09-05 11:58 AM
2009-09-05 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
REI does classes if there is one close by, or you want to make the drive up to the Raleigh/Durham area.  They have another one on 8/20
2009-09-05 6:28 PM

New user

Take it apart and figure out how to put it back. YouTube has some pretty good videos.

2009-09-05 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
msmogreen - 2009-09-05 11:42 AM  I think I'm the only woman among those I ride with who knows how to change my tire.

Wow Kathy, I'm surprised to hear that.  I just assumed that all serious bikers can take apart their bikes and put them back together in 10 minutes flat.... blindfolded even. Laughing

And Gina - don't joke about me coming up there cause I just might!

I had a feeling that most people were self taught by necessity.

I'll call my LBS because I'd rather do hands on training.  If not I'll check into the books and websites ya'll mentioned.

I just think I would feel more secure if I knew I can handle taking care of my own bike, esp if out on a desolate ride.
2009-09-05 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh, these women I ride with aren't serious bike riders, but they are the only bike riders I know. We're all kind of newbies to the whole tri thing...although I am the newest of the group.  Most of them even rely on their husbands to put air in their tires. They train very haphazardly for the events they do...they are just trying to stay active but really not taking anything seriously.  But fixing a flat is about the only thing I am prepared for on the road.

What I'd really like to do is take a bike handling skills course. I feel very ill-prepared for an emergency situation. I have a book that explains instant turns and emergency stops, cornering, etc., but I'd love to find a class for this.

Edited by msmogreen 2009-09-05 7:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance - How did you learn? Rss Feed