General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From Couch to Ironman Hawai Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-26 3:17 PM

Subject: From Couch to Ironman Hawai
I have watched the Hawai Ironman last year on NBC and started weeping, seeing ordinary people of all ages and backgrounds achieving one common extraordinary feat.

My mission is to be one of them one in 3 years. I am however challenged in the sense that I have all the excuses in the world for procrastinating and not following through.

I have tried all types of motivation techniques to get off the couch or computer and head to the gym. But I haven't been able to maintain a sustained for more than 2 months.

I spend hours reading about triathlon, training programs, diet and even buying gear - but I can't get myself out of the door and DO IT.

I am in need of a cohort of likeminded individuals that can help me push myself and are looking forward to achieving this same goal.

I think I am in the perfect place to find mentors, friends, and colleagues with identical goals and challenges.

The various contributors and members in this website inspired me to make it happen.

Thank you

Desty

2006-12-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #633474

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: From Couch to Ironman Hawai
welcome to our wonderful world! I love your goal. My first suggestion is find a local sprint distance race and sign up ASAP. Having money on a race has always been a good motivator for me. Also consider signing up for the mentor program. It will get like minded people on your side
2006-12-26 3:37 PM
in reply to: #633487

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ontherun - 2006-12-26 3:23 PM

welcome to our wonderful world! I love your goal. My first suggestion is find a local sprint distance race and sign up ASAP. Having money on a race has always been a good motivator for me. Also consider signing up for the mentor program. It will get like minded people on your side

Right... like he said... find a sprint and start there. And signing up and putting down your money is a real motivator. You KNOW you have to start training.

Otherwise, if you have a goal of an IM... and even Hawaii... you MUST start training. Every day on the couch is one less day you have to train towards your goal.

I also encourage you to experience the whole world of tri's. Triathlon isn't just IM Hawaii. That's just the one on TV that everyone knows about. Tri's are the sprints that happen weekly... the Olympic distances... the Half Ironman's and of course the Ironman.

Competing in ANY IM across the world is exciting and an accomplishment. When I watch videos of people crossing an IM finish line... the tears are not any less just because they are not in Hawaii.

Good luck and get your butt off the couch. You will NEVER make it to Hawaii just thinking about it. You have to put in the hours of training. Start now.
2006-12-26 4:52 PM

User image

I am however challenged in the sense that I have all the excuses in the world for procrastinating and not following through. I have tried all types of motivation techniques to get off the couch or computer and head to the gym. But I haven't been able to maintain a sustained for more than 2 months.

That's not a challenge.  A challenge is having only one leg.  Or being blind.  Or being Rick Hoyt.  Those are challenges.  you simply have what the rest of us normal joes and janes have.  Procrastination, doubts, fears, laziness. 

So,,,,,,,, the question is, how badly do you want to do one and improve your life?  It's up to you.  No one will do it but you.  the support here and in your logs can be tremendous.  But it's easy to turn off the computer and ignore us.

All that said.... Welcome Desty!!!  Sign up for a race.  Log your workouts so people can inspire you.  Post your questions.  Not sure where you are but join a tri club.  No one will get you out the door but you.  But it's nice to know someone's waiting for you to swim, bike or run.

Good luck!

2006-12-26 5:17 PM

User image

Welcome Desty!!!!!!

This is a great place to learn and get some motivation.

Do you mind if I ask a bit about your background? Have participated in any running, swimming or cycling events in the past? What is your running, swimming and cycling background?

Again, WELCOME and the happiest of Holiday Seasons to you and yours!

2006-12-26 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Welcome to BT! I know what you mean about motivation, I have been there. It took having a goal to keep me going. Sign up for a sprint tri in the Spring, put a training plan together and get out there and do it.

Join one of the mentor groups on this site.

Bill

2006-12-26 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
hey...a goal.  there is your start.  Enjoy!!
2006-12-27 11:07 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Welcome ~

Picking an event - paying for it is usually one of my first suggestions for people who are looking for motivation.....I get the feeling you need a little more than that to get your engine started....BT is a great starting place, the mentoring would probably be very helpful. I would also suggest getting involved in a local tri group - find some training partners - someone local that you are accountable to train with. Some people do very well on their own actually prefer to train by themselves, others do better with a group to help get them out the door each day. Start using the training log on BT - this will help graph exactly how much you are doing or not doing. Once you get started there will is a good chance you will be an "addict" and getting out and doing those workouts will be much easier. Find some local events and volunteer - I think that is very motivating - you will always see someone that inspires you to do more.

Good Luck -

Note:- IM Hawaii is an amazing event with amazing athletes and I would never discourage anyone from trying to achieve that. You need to have some other smaller goals in front of you that are easier to achieve along the way - stepping stones
2006-12-27 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Hi Desty,

Welcome to BT.  I hope you can find the motivation you are looking for from the many wonderful people on these forums.  I agree with those who have suggested that you sign up for a smaller, local race and then get out the door to train.  If you are truly starting from the couch, you may even want to consider doing just a running race (5 km or less) as your first event.  If you've been there done that, then a sprint tri would be a good starting point.

Goodluck.

2006-12-27 12:54 PM

WOW

I am impressed by the quantity and quality of feedback for an intro post.

If all of you took the time to post comments and cheer me up, I have no excuse for not getting my bum of the couch today.

For the background, I did a mini “family” triathlon in Switzerland two summers ago (150 meters swim, 17Km bike and 2.5Km run --- I made 15th (out of 16 participants) While I did not train for it at all, I did it because my friend told me I could not survive it. The lack of training resulted in a minor knee inflammation, and a determination to “beat” him next time I go to Switzerland (He made it 3rd place)
(The competition takes place every August)

The feeling at the finish line was more powerful than anything I have experienced before. The best part of it, is that the feeling lasts for a long time (I was happy and proud all summer)

I ran and biked, intermittently for years, mainly in gyms. I tend to overdo it, hurt myself and stop for months.

My approach this time will be more conservative and reasonable (A daily walk / stretch for a couple of weeks) then tackle a Couch to Sprint program.

I live in RI, and most of my friends are not into sports, but those who are, mainly lift weights. Which is kind of boring after a while. I am on a mission to find motivated tri-athletes and hope to join a team.

That being said - I thank you all for your support and I look forward continuous feedback. I look forward to a Sprint race this summer – is 6 months at 3 hours per week of training enough? Also what would be the best source of info for local events in RI or New England?

Thank You So Much.

Happy Holidays and I wish you all a fantastic new year full of peace love and happiness.

Desty
2006-12-27 9:47 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Welcome, now go out and walk/run/ride/swim

I would say 6 months at 3 hours per week would provide you enough to comfortably do a sprint, but it won't get you where you  "beat" your friend.  You are wise to start slow and build to it though.  That will help you body adjust and be ready to handle more. 

Enjoy the journey. 

2006-12-28 4:03 AM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
I also find the motivation by just going to a race to volunteer.

Being among the family and feeling the passion of the sport is enough to make me wish I was doing th race!

I see you are a Bronze Member.. That's showing your motivation right there in itself..

Welcome! I'm sure we'll be hearing your name as you cross your first finish line real soon.

Edited by tbatt 2006-12-28 4:04 AM
2006-12-28 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
That being said - I thank you all for your support and I look forward continuous feedback. I look forward to a Sprint race this summer – is 6 months at 3 hours per week of training enough?

Have you looked at the Mentor Program? It might be good for you to join it for some motivation.

Hhhhuuummm... 6 months at 3 hours a week? Well, you will finish the race, but you might not do as well as you want to do.

I know for sprint tri's, people typically train up to a good 10 hours a week. For me, and this is just me, I can't imagine only training 3 hours a week. Gosh, my cycling on the weekends would be 3 hours (plus!) alone (during the summer though, I ride an average of 6-10 hours a week).

To try to train for 3 disciplines in only 3 hours a week, would be very challenging.

Good luck with your training and try to do what you can. You might find that you want to train more than 3 hours a week when you get into it!

2006-12-29 7:31 AM

User image

Novi, MI
Stop talking and start training. We all know that we can do whatever we put our minds to - just look inside yourself and see if you are committed to this goal. Good luck - I do hope you make it.
2006-12-29 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I as well as the rest of the BT Family look forward to watching your progress.  And if you ever need motivation, let us know.  We will come through for you.

And like others have said, if you find a training partner/partners, it so much easier.  I try to be accountable to people who check my logs.  You can use that too.

You're going to do great!!

2006-12-29 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Desty,

When I started I had the same goal as you, IM Hawaii.  I picked the hardest and most coveted race I could think of as a goal for myself.  After all, I am a perfectionist and nothing less that the best for me.  Guess what?  I never trained for IM Hawaii or anything else, unless there is a Slug Festival somewhere I don't know about.  Perfectionism is really about a lack of standards.  Impossible standards are no standards at all.

I decided to focus on smaller goals... like my very first sprint distance triathlon.  Anyway I find that doing the sprints is totally satisfying and fun.  The sprints get me through the day/week/months. 

Once you start to put the time in for a sprint then you will have an even better understanding, respect and appreciation for what these people who do IMs do daily/weekly/monthly to go the distance.  And you will be a lot better able to decide whether or not you want to do it.... because you already know you can.  Wanting to want to isn't enough.  The people that do it want it.

I fall off the exercise wagon from time to time.  But the whole point is to just start.  And if you stop, then start again.  And if you stop again, start yet again until you keep at it.  No matter how many times you stop and go I have found the people on this site are supportive, encouraging, positive and inspiring.

Good luck!  And get your butt out there. 

"Forget past mistakes. Forget Failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do and do it now." - William Durant, Founder of GM

Edited by dr_evil_0818 2006-12-29 10:36 AM

2006-12-29 3:09 PM

User image

Expert

Welcome and good luck with your goal(s). Try the Race Nexus at the top of the page to help find races as well as http://www.trifind.com

Happy New Year!

2006-12-30 7:11 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Lets see some more workouts WE are cheering you on!
2006-12-30 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cornfield in Northern Iowa
Join one of the beginner mentor groups. The others in the group you join are great for motivation and discussion as they are going through the same steps you are. The mentors are great for getting tips and more motivation on training properly for a tri.
2006-12-31 8:47 AM

User image

Don't train to start a "Couch to Spint" program.  STart the Couch to Sprint program.  I used this program for my first tri last April.  Lost boocoo weight, felt great and ended the season doind a Half Iron man.  Granted, I went from 6, 8, 10, hours a week to about 20 hours a week.  The only thing more addictive than training is this website.    Enjoy........
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From Couch to Ironman Hawai Rss Feed