BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-12-23 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now)

Name - tri_sport19/Matt

Story - I got involved in triathlon just about 2 years ago when I moved to Long Island. I had done some running in the past and the first thing I did when I moved was buy a road bike. I was fortunate to  meet some amazing people who gave me training and racing advice, as well as advice for life in general. I did my first triathlon in May of 2007 and almost bailed on the 1/2 mile swim! I got myself together, finished the race and was hooked!

Family Status - no wife, just a loving and supportive girlfriend

Current Training - I'm currently working with Gary Jensen of Division One Multisport and have begun training with a power meter. I work on a 10 day training cycle and right now am averaging about 8-10 hrs per week of technique focused training before the big training begins.

This Year's Races - In '08 I raced a couple sprints,  a "HIM Lite", 2 HIM's and the ITU Long Course World Championships

2009 Races -  My schedule for '09 consists of the Ironclad Sprint Tri, Philadelphia Oly, Musselman and Timberman HIM and hopefully the ITU Long Course World Championships

Weightloss - Thankfully I was blessed an "athletic build", while weightloss isn't a main focus of mine I do my best to stay between 153 and 158lbs depending on the time of year. A healthy balanced diet is very important to me.

What Will Make Me A Good Mentor - I truly love triathlon and endurance sports. I've participated in a variety of distances and have struggled just like everyone else. During the day I work with triathletes of varying abilities as the triathlon coordinator for the Long Island Chapter's Team In Training program. While I love to go fast, at the end of the day I'm involved in the sport because I enjoy it and get to spend my time with some incredible people. My knowledge of preparation and racing is growing everyday and I'll be pursuing a USAT certification this spring. I want to be able to give back to a sport that has given me so much.

Edited by tri_sport19 2009-01-09 11:19 AM

2009-01-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1869304

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - OPEN

Hey Matt - I have been lurking in the mentor forum for awhile and saw your thread.  It sounds like you have alot of the same goals as myself.

My name is Ryan and I am 28 and live in Grand Rapids, MI.  I did my first sprint triathlon in August of 2007 because a friend convinced me.  My sister is a 2 time ironman finisher at CDA and FL so I knew about the sport.  I ended up doing the sprint and finishing 15th OA and 3rd AG despite a horrible swim and was completely hooked from that point on.  My sister loaned me her Tri Bike so I got lucky from that standpoint although pretty sure is a little small for me.  2008 was my first full year of triathlon and finished 3 sprints and 2 oly's.  I improved a ton from the beginning of the year in all 3 disciplines really and ended up getting 6th OA at my last tri of the year.  The improvement has me really excited for 2009 and my A race which is the Spirit of Racine HIM in July.

I am looking for a mentor group just for the fun and comraderie and it also sounds like you could help alot with training and support as you have similar goals it seems like.

I am getting married in 3 weeks so wedding planning has been at the top of the list although we are excited for the day.

Currently I am just building my base until I get into structured workouts probably 20 weeks out from my HIM.  I have been mainly run focused this winter because I always seem to get hawked on the run in my tri's although it got better towards the end of the year.  I love to train but work gets in the way of course.  I am a Civil Engineer and usually work 50+ hours a week.

I look forward to training and getting ready for race season!

2009-01-02 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Welcome aboard Ryan! It sounds like you had a great first experience with triathlon. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and of course make that you're priority (it's only January!) I'll be doing my best to give advice and training tips, as well as the always valuable moral support!
2009-01-03 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hey Matt - So I have just started reading some books and paying a little closer attention to my HR since i just got my HR monitor.  Do you use a HR device in your training?  All these books recommend different ways to train and it is so confusing to try to pick which one would benefit me.  I suppose it takes years of trial and error before you finally figure it out.  Right now i am just doing all aerobic base work (no anaerobic or tempo work) during the winter until I get into my structured HIM workout plan.  Do you follow any specific training formulas (Daniels running formula, Maffetone, etc..)?   Just curious.  Thanks

Long run today (10 miles) but it was a beautiful day so it made it a little easier.  Kept HR low (max 147)

2009-01-03 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
I do train with HR and right now it's basically all aerobic with maybe one session a week that gets my HR up higher, usually that's with short intervals on the track (20 secs at 400m race pace). To determine my HR zones I did a 3 mile time trial at the track. It was done at 10k race pace and I took my HR for the last 2 miles. From there I used a chart and formula to determine my zones. I'll try and get the chart and formula for you if you'd like.
2009-01-04 1:15 PM

Matt,

I've been poking around the beginner triathlete site for a few weeks and now that it's 2009, I've decided I need to get serious about getting in shape for the Triathlons I've signed up for this year. I am brand new to the sport this year and I know I am going to have a ton of questions.

My story is that I've always been the weekend warrior. I swam competitively up until college. Took up running in college where I would do 5K's. I was into mountain biking when I lived in Philly but haven't done that at all since I moved to NYC 4 years ago. After living in NYC for a few years, I got back into running, currently average 30 miles a month. I just joined a gym with a pool and swim once a week. I am amazed how easy that was to get back into. I also just traded in the mountain bike for a road bike. I know biking is going to be the hardest for me as I've never competed in cycling and have no idea what riding 25+miles would be like.

I got into the NYC tri in July but I want to do a few sprints before that race and then maybe another olympic distance this year.

I'm doing an indoor super sprint in feb and really nervous for it. I don't know what to expect or where I will place which I think is the cause of the anxiety!

I'd love to be a part of your mentor program to learn more about the sport.

2009-01-04 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1885373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Hi Meg!

Congrats on taking the plunge into triathlon. Having a swimming background is great for triathlon, the swim tends to be most people's weak point. NYC is a great event and lining up a few sprints prior to that event is a great idea.

As for the super sprint in February, just relax! The most important thing is to have a good time while you're out there. I would highly recommend a training plan from BT for the NYC triathlon. I've used a number of their plans and have had success. I'd also recommend trying on a bike trainer through the winter months to increase your cycling. The hardest part about increasing your cycling mileage is getting your butt used to the seat!

There's a great sprint race on Long Island May 31st. It was my first ever triathlon and is very well supported. You can find more information on the Ironclad Sprint Triathlon at ww.triandduit.com

Keep on logging your workouts and please feel free to PM me any specific questions you have. You'll be more than ready for February's triathlon and NY is going to be a blast!

2009-01-04 7:46 PM

New user

Hi there,

I'm wondering if I can join your group too.  I'm similar to Meg, in that I haven't done a triathlon before, but I'm excited to get into the sport.  I'm a graduate student, so that takes some of my time, but my school has a sprint triathlon on May 2nd that I'm hoping to participate in.

I swam in high school as well, and in the summers, I often go on 10 mile bike rides.  Lately, I've been focusing on running, and I'm in the middle of a couch to 5 K running program, where I'm up to 2.5 miles several times per week.  I'm looking at switching to a more triathlon specific training program instead of just running.  So, I think I have a little background in each of the three areas that I can build on.

It would help me to have someone to ask for training advice, and also to give tips/pointers along the way.  And, I want to join a group so I can have the support and stay with this!!!

2009-01-04 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I am going to try to do an LT test here pretty quick for both the bike and run so I can setup my zones.  I am using Maffetone right now to set up my aerobic HR zones but I think the majority on the BT boards favor the LT test.  I will probably do the bike portion on my trainer and try to get on the high school track when the snow melts sometime soon.  I see they have a calculator on the website to set up your zones that way so I should be all set.

Welcome to the group guys and gals!  You are going to love triathlon but beware it can be very addicting!  My fiance thinks im kind of a freak.

Meg - I was not a big bike rider either - but being able to cover so much terrain in a short period of time is fun and the speeds you can reach is cool too! 

2009-01-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1885865

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

ready2go,

Welcome aboard, I'd be more than happy to have you! You've got a great background to begin triathlon training with. BT is  a great place to get support for training and balancing triathlon with your life.

Please feel free to PM me with specific questions, and I'll be doing my best to post specific topics in our group thread.

2009-01-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1885962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
I've never done the Maffetone test (to be honest, I'm not familiar with it at all). The LT test as worked very well for me and other athletes I train with, I'm glad to hear that you'll be doing it.

2009-01-05 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1885865

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

ready2go - do you have any triathlons in mind that you might be doing this summer?  I remember finishing my first sprint triathlon and how awesome it was just to finish.  As soon as i crossed the finish line i was thinking about the next one.

I can offer just a couple things I wish I had done leading up to my first tri:

1.  do an open water swim (OWS) and get acquainted with waves and not looking at a lane line.  I pretty much freaked out after I lost my breath running into the water at the start.

2.  Do atleast a couple short bricks which are short runs immediately after one of your normal bike rides so that your legs can get accustomed to the feeling.  In the beginning they will feel like cement legs but they will adjust.

I took a rest day today - I went for a swim, biked, and played hockey yesterday and figured that was a free pass.  have a good one.

Ryan

2009-01-06 7:30 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

MATT!!!! Great to see you mentoring a group! Matt's motivation and enthusiasm is infectious. Good things will come to those mentored by Matt!!

See you once again at Messelman my friend!! (I owe you a hat!!)

2009-01-06 8:24 AM

New user

Hi Matt

I am 25 years old and live in NYC.  I have never done a triathlon before but became very interested after one of my friends completed one last year.  I have been reading books and forums on this site for some time.  I have an athletic background; I played basketball all the way through college and continue playing today.  I follow a pretty steady workout regiment and always like a challenge and goal to work towards.  Now that I no longer play and workout specifically for basketball, I think triathlons will serve as my next goal/challenge.  I have the most experience in running but used to swim when I was younger.  My biggest weakness in the beginning will be on the bike.

I signed up for the Mighty Hamptons Triathlon in Sag Harbor, NY and also plan on signing up for some of the sprint triathlons in Harriman Park over the summer.

I think being a part of a group will help me develop a good training program and also serve as a good source of information.  Hopefully you still have some spots open in your group. 

2009-01-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1888851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
SMQ - 2009-01-06 9:24 AM

Hi Matt

I am 25 years old and live in NYC.  I have never done a triathlon before but became very interested after one of my friends completed one last year.  I have been reading books and forums on this site for some time.  I have an athletic background; I played basketball all the way through college and continue playing today.  I follow a pretty steady workout regiment and always like a challenge and goal to work towards.  Now that I no longer play and workout specifically for basketball, I think triathlons will serve as my next goal/challenge.  I have the most experience in running but used to swim when I was younger.  My biggest weakness in the beginning will be on the bike.

I signed up for the Mighty Hamptons Triathlon in Sag Harbor, NY and also plan on signing up for some of the sprint triathlons in Harriman Park over the summer.

I think being a part of a group will help me develop a good training program and also serve as a good source of information.  Hopefully you still have some spots open in your group. 

Welcome to the group!! It sounds like you've got a great athletic background and are excited about getting involved in triathlon. Having the bike portion as your "weakness" is great (because I feel it's the easiest to improve!). It also seems that most of us are looking to improve our cycling this year, so you've come to the right place.

Mighty Hamptons is a great event, I hope to be out there either racing or volunteering this year. As I say to everyone, ask any question you have and PM anything specific if you like.

Happy Training!

2009-01-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1888760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
rstocks3 - 2009-01-06 8:30 AM

MATT!!!! Great to see you mentoring a group! Matt's motivation and enthusiasm is infectious. Good things will come to those mentored by Matt!!

See you once again at Messelman my friend!! (I owe you a hat!!)

Thanks for the kind words Bob, I hope all is well. I'm really looking forward to Musselman this year...don't worry about the hat, just lean forward at the line so at the very least I can say my hat beat you in a race!

2009-01-06 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

I thought I'd post a few quick tips as most people's training is about to begin (or already has):

1. Log everything! BT's Training Log is a great feature to track your progress. By having your workouts logged it will be much easier to look at what you've done and make the necessary changes to achieve your goals.

2. Set A Goal - Whether it's finish your first triathlon, win your age group, learn to swim...it's a great motivator to have a goal. Everyone needs a carrot to chase and this will help keep you on track.

3. Ask Questions - Anything and everything, there are no stupid questions. Even World Champions were beginners at one point with tons of questions. We all have different perspectives and backgrounds so you have a great cross section of people to answer your questions.

4. Have Fun! - This is the most important aspect of triathlon. If you're not enjoying yourself, what's the point? Keep smiling and stay positive, you're doing something most people will never attempt!

2009-01-06 9:58 AM

Hi Matt,  I'd love to join your group if it's still open.  I'm a 27year old female living in NC with no tri experience.  I have a goal to complete a sprint tri in my area in may.  I have a background in martial arts, Tae Kwon Do specifically.  I've been training in martial arts for 4 years with some running the past year as cross training.  I guess I'm more of a weekend warrior when it comes to biking.  I tend to tag along with my husband on his road and mountain bike rides but can certainly complete a sprint distance segment of 12mi ride.  I used to be on the swim team back in high school, but it's definitely been a while since I've done laps in the pool.  So I have the basics down of how to smim, it's just a matter of building up the endurance for it. 

After completing my goal of getting a black belt in TKD I decided to expand my athletic goals.  I completed my first 5K race last year and have completed others since then.  I thought about running 10k's and half marathons but I get bored easily during longer distances.  So, when I was considering my goals for 2009 a friend of mine mentioned a triathlon and here I am.  I've done a little research on it but still haven't figured out a training plan yet.  I think the hard part will be balancing the three sports (AND TKD).  Any suggestions on how to get started and how to squeeze in all the sports in your workouts? 

I'm excited to get started and complete my goals this year! 

-MO

2009-01-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1889124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
kiknmo - 2009-01-06 10:58 AM

Hi Matt,  I'd love to join your group if it's still open.  I'm a 27year old female living in NC with no tri experience.  I have a goal to complete a sprint tri in my area in may.  I have a background in martial arts, Tae Kwon Do specifically.  I've been training in martial arts for 4 years with some running the past year as cross training.  I guess I'm more of a weekend warrior when it comes to biking.  I tend to tag along with my husband on his road and mountain bike rides but can certainly complete a sprint distance segment of 12mi ride.  I used to be on the swim team back in high school, but it's definitely been a while since I've done laps in the pool.  So I have the basics down of how to smim, it's just a matter of building up the endurance for it. 

After completing my goal of getting a black belt in TKD I decided to expand my athletic goals.  I completed my first 5K race last year and have completed others since then.  I thought about running 10k's and half marathons but I get bored easily during longer distances.  So, when I was considering my goals for 2009 a friend of mine mentioned a triathlon and here I am.  I've done a little research on it but still haven't figured out a training plan yet.  I think the hard part will be balancing the three sports (AND TKD).  Any suggestions on how to get started and how to squeeze in all the sports in your workouts? 

I'm excited to get started and complete my goals this year! 

-MO

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you in the group! Although I've never done it myself, I imagine Tae Kwon Do is awesome cross training...and it may come in handy during the open water swim !!

Since TKD is an important part of your life, make sure it doesn't suffer because of your tri training. Some benefits of TKD will translate into triathlon, but you'll still need a far amount of swim, bike and run. You can always count on a BT Training Plan to get you across the finish line, take a look at the free plans they offer.

As far as getting started...start slow. It's only January and I can't imagine your event is any earlier than late April. You've got plenty of time to prepare. There are great videos and swim tips on BT that will give you drills to improve your swim stroke.

Again, try and get on a training plan and log your workouts. From there we can see what can be changed to make sure your TKD doesn't suffer.

2009-01-06 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

so what is going on today training wise everybody?  I am going to try to squeeze in a short run or jump on the bike trainer later tonight and then hit the pool tomorrow a.m. 

2009-01-06 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Matt:

I was given advice to find a mentor group from a friend that is member of BT and after looking through the open groups it sounds like this one would be great for me.  I am currently in my last year of college at University of Wisconsin and also taking a triathlon training class for a easy end of college career class.  I am engaged right now and getting married October 2009, so with school, planning a wedding, and managing time, I am looking for some help and motivation with a group of people doing the same thing.

I did my first triathlon September 2008, a sprint.  It went great and exactly what my cousin told me, I was hooked.  I have done some 5k and 8k runs, and am signed up for a HIM in the Summer of 2009.  I am looking to lose some weight and get in great shape for my wedding, as well as to finish the HIM under 6.5hrs.  Looking for some guidance and a great group to excel in with triathlons. Thanks.

Matthew

2009-01-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1889985

hey rymac, today i squeezed in a short run at the gym and a little ab workout with some weights.  my right hamstring has been sore today, probably from speed kicking drills last night, so i decided to take it easy.  tomorrow is my long workout, 50min spin then tkd.  have fun with your workout tonight!

-MO

2009-01-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1889264

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you in the group! Although I've never done it myself, I imagine Tae Kwon Do is awesome cross training...and it may come in handy during the open water swim !!

Since TKD is an important part of your life, make sure it doesn't suffer because of your tri training. Some benefits of TKD will translate into triathlon, but you'll still need a far amount of swim, bike and run. You can always count on a BT Training Plan to get you across the finish line, take a look at the free plans they offer.

As far as getting started...start slow. It's only January and I can't imagine your event is any earlier than late April. You've got plenty of time to prepare. There are great videos and swim tips on BT that will give you drills to improve your swim stroke.

Again, try and get on a training plan and log your workouts. From there we can see what can be changed to make sure your TKD doesn't suffer.

Thanks Matt!  Glad to be part of the group!  TKD is great cross training the only downside is the higher possibility of getting hurt while training   I'll certainly take your advise and start slow.  The key will be cutting back my TKD workouts to only 3 times a week and then upping the running, biking, and adding swimming.  I checked out the training plans and think I'll do the Sprint 2x Balanced 16wk plan.  The race is 19 wks away so have a couple weeks to work up to it.   The running and biking workout times are less than what I can do now so should be a slow way to add in everything.  The swimming I may have to ease into.  We'll see how it goes!  With the race in May, I'll have plenty of time to get back into the swimming groove.

2009-01-06 5:50 PM

User image

New user

Victoria

Hi Matt,

Seeing that you are open to mentor, I'm giving it a shot and am open for the mentoring. 

I'm a swimmer by nature and have gotten back into competitions the last 3 years.  I joined a local tri-club a few days ago because I wanted to step up my training and loose those extra pds and keep them off.  I've also committed to coaching the swimming portions of our workouts too.

My goals are quite lofty as I believe I can break a few swimming records here in BC or Canada, given I drop the weight.  My motivation to train alone is probably my weakness.  I love training with a partner or others, but I figured I'd train in biking and running on the side and maybe enter in a few races, along with my swim competitions.  

I'm here to gather some workout tips and be more accountable for my training.  My background should be a great asset for moving forward in training.

If there are any tips you can pass on, I'd happily take them.

2009-01-06 6:15 PM

New user

Hi rymac,

I just did a quick run today - only 1.25 miles.  I was sort of dragging, and decided not to push it since I felt tired, and the run seemed to make it worse.  Back to it tomorrow I hope.

Edited by ready2go 2009-01-06 7:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9