Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-16 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: Tony Zamora's group - FULL
NAME: TZCoaching / Tony Zamora
STORY: I love to triathlon!  I started in highschool, and was hooked.  Never was a fast runner, cyclist or swimming, but putting them together seems more natural to me and usually faster! FAMILY STATUS: Married, with no kids, unless you count a golden retriever and black lab as kids (we do!).
CURRENT TRAINING: I've been racing Xterra the last few years; this year decided to make the move to Olympic distance.  Timewise it's about the same, just less impact on the joints!
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Raced an olympic in Clermont Florida, and racing the Cross Country Mountain Bike race at the Sea Otter in California.  Probably do some more olympic distance races this summer.
2009 RACES:  Did some early season time trials last year, then had to move at the start of the season, so not too many races last year.
WEIGHTLOSS: I've been pretty good in terms of weight all these years, but this past winter I did a slightly different diet and am now the fittest I've been!
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love triathlon and endurance sports.  I started coaching a couple years back - unofficial - just helping mentor beginners to get started in the sport.  While I still do coach, I love to help people get into the sport and see how much they improve in a relatively short amount of time.  Having someone who has been through it, will help out the beginner greatly.

Edited by tzcoaching 2010-04-21 11:17 PM

2010-04-17 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2797444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Tony Zamora's group - Open
Hi Tony,

I would love to be part of your mentor group. 

I am 42 years old and was never physically active until about 3 years ago when I started on Weight Watchers.  I discovered how great exercise made me feel although I do still struggle with my weight no matter what I do.

I volunteered at a triathlon 3 years ago and decided that I could do that.  I have since completed 3 sprints and am already registered for my 4th and considering 2 more for this season.   Last season was one race since I was battling extreme fatigue, runner's knee, PF and problems with my shins cramping for the first mile or so when I run or walk very fast.

I am comfortable swimming and just bought a new road bike.  Running is my nemesis.   During my first training season I had worked my way up to running for the 5k distance then started with runner's knee which struck before my first race.  Since then running has not been easy at all.

I have been married to my husband now for almost 20 years and we have two boys (13 and 9).   My commitment to triathlons got my husband to complete his first tri two summers ago with me and last year he did the bike portion as a relay.  My older son competed in a kids' tri last summer.  My younger son only learned to ride his bike last year and now looks forward to completing his first kids tri this year.  As you can see, it is a family affair for us.  We also do triathlons to raise money for Ryan's Quest, a local non-profit raising money to find a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  Ryan is a 4 year old local boy who was diagnosed with it at 2.  We have become good friends with the family.  

I look forward to being a part of your group. I have lots to learn but also lots to share.

2010-04-18 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Bumping - since it seems no one else saw this open group!
2010-04-19 11:54 AM

User image

, Arizona
Tony,
I'd love to join your group!
I just turned 27 and will be married next month. We don't have any children, so I take advantage of that time with tri training, martial arts, disc golf, hiking, rafting, mountain biking... pretty much anything active and outdoors. 

I'm still very new to the tri world, I've only completed one sprint tri which was last year. Although I was very happy with my race, I was plagued with IT band problems throughout my training. I took 5 months off after the race and started my run training in January, making sure to build slowly, so far I've been injury free, I just need help staying that way! I'm very excited to be signed up for my first HIM this year, it's my only race (will be in early august). 

I ran a lot when I was younger but I've never competed in anything longer than a 10k (which was 15 years ago). I'm still new to road cycling but I seem to be picking it up pretty quickly, my handling skills are good enough and I love going aero at 45mph, I don't know much about how I should be training though. The swimming has been the hardest event for me. I basically learned to swim last year and put a lot of time in the pool, I've still got a lot of work to do and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to put in swim time this year.

Looking forward to sharing the season with the rest of the group! =)
2010-04-19 4:22 PM

I would love to join the group.  I will be doing my first Triathlon sprint the first weekend in June.  I will do a second in September.  Doing the sprints to get my feet wet.  Excercising is my thing.  On average I run 6 miles 2 - 3 times a week with longer runs on Saturdays.  If I'm not running then I am on my bike with the longest being 30 miles.  I do lift weights 3 days a week.  The swimming portion of these things has kept me from it in the past. 
2010-04-19 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2800190

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Fechter99 -  Hi! Welcome to the group, sorry its a little delayed; I think it was active; then on hold, and now it's open again! Sounds like the whole family got the triathlon bug; good to hear!

When's your next race?  What's your training consist of now?

Edited by tzcoaching 2010-04-19 9:19 PM

2010-04-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2801470

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Synon - Congrats on the first race!  How did you do?  What were your times? 

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Sounds like you have a lot going on!  While doing all those sports is good cross training, remember, everything in moderation... if you want to dedicate more time towards triathlon and reduce the chance of injury; need to be careful with the other outdoor activities! 

Welcome to the group!  Let me know how I can help out; and first is first; start getting in the pool!
2010-04-19 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2802422

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Soccerbacon - your first Tri is right around the corner!  What race are you planning on doing?  Feeling ready for it? 

If your running 6 miles, you should be just fine with the Sprint distance race. 

Good luck, welcome to the group, and let me know how I can help out!
2010-04-19 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hey coach!!!

I didn't know you were doing a mentoring group too!!! I am in another group, but I just wanted to say hello!!!
2010-04-19 9:49 PM

User image

Tony,
Would like to join your mentor group if you're still taking new members Smile

Name: Deweyz / "The Dew" / Julie
Story:   Outdoor person -- lived in NE, CO, WV, and now PA -- Geology student, Hiker, Geocacher, Biker, will try almost anything twice (I rarely learn the 1st time).  Got into tri's last year after about 2-3 years ago a friend mentioned an off-road tri which I thought sounded SO cool. A couple summers later I saw details on sprint tri and though "If I took up running, I could actually do that" and I tried it. It was SO fun...even the one that I was almost last place.  Want to try it again, a little better planned /trained this summer (just a little Wink)
Family Status:  29 years old, single, 2 cats, Pittsburgh, PA.  My cats are very supportive in all my activities Tongue out.
Current Training:  Spending 12 days every 2 weeks out of town for work (temporary but a pain) and have had a bad cough for about a month, so doing the best I can, but not enough.  Winter I spent mostly cross country skiing and caving.  I did a 3 hour orienteering (map reading / trail running / bushwacking w/compass) race last month and got 2nd place female!  Regular workouts not quite up to a 5k run and 10 miles on the bike, but increasing and finally got pool access too.  On the positive side, I do have a nice new fitted road bike now, I did last year on my old hybrid and it's SO nice.
This Year's Races:  Brian's Ride May 2nd -- Really just a fun starter, local, cheap entry, good cause, 400m swim, 10.5 mi bike, 2.5 mi run. ----- I'll look at a couple of the Wheelie Fun Series in OH, sprint level and nearby as schedule permits ---- My goal races though are the Aug 1st Pittsburgh Adventure race = Sprint with kayak instead of swimming, The Stonewall Jackson Tri in late August = my 1st tri last year, a little longer than a sprint with a hilly 26 mile bike course and NOT get last place this year (preference, not requirement), and the OH Portage Lakes Triathlon (probably sprint) as my season finisher in Akron in mid Sept.
2009 Races:  Aug 2009 Stonewall Jackson Tri -- 3rd place in my age group and 3rd to last place overall -- that was longer than I should've tried but a GREAT time.  Sept 2009 -- a weekend of Tri's at Portage Lake, Sat Women's super-sprint and Sunday the full Sprint.  Followed the tri's with a 35 mile MS ride and 3 5ks as the weather got colder.
Weight loss:  Ooooo...got me there.  I've always fluctuated, and currently I am down probably 15-20 lbs since high school but up 20-25 lbs since end of geology field camp in college...so I am paying attention and trying to work on that.  I'm probably around 175 (with clothes and shoes) and should be shooting for about 155.  Still "Athena" but trying to get close enough so it's in question...
What makes me a good Mentee:  I do everything, and I try hard...but sometimes I have temporary ADD (ooo, look!  A cookie!) and I need a mentor (or anyone) to remind me to re-focus.  Now that I have my gym membership (and pool access) I plan to see about getting periodic visits with a personal trainer at the gym to be physically there to help focus me at times.  I don't really plan to ever actually win triathlons...but I'd like to get better Cool.
2010-04-19 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2803151

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Tri.me2010 - hey!  Why are you writing on here; and not out there training! )

2010-04-19 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2803169

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hey Julie - welcome to the group! Did someone say cookies??? ) Don't say you never plan on winning a try; if you want to and work for it you can do it! My very 1st race, I finished DEAD last. I was barely finishing the swim, and people were finishing the race already! Made it a goal to come back and get on the podium. After a few years, I came back, won my age by like 13 min and placed top 10 overall! So if you want it and work for it, there is no reason you can't get it (or give em' hell trying!)
2010-04-19 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2803128

User image

, Arizona
tzcoaching - 2010-04-19 7:23 PM @Synon - Congrats on the first race!  How did you do?  What were your times? 

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Sounds like you have a lot going on!  While doing all those sports is good cross training, remember, everything in moderation... if you want to dedicate more time towards triathlon and reduce the chance of injury; need to be careful with the other outdoor activities! 

Welcome to the group!  Let me know how I can help out; and first is first; start getting in the pool!

Thanks Tony!
My race went extremely well, it was 700m swim/11.5mi bike/3.5mi run and my goal time was around 1:30, finished in 1:11
Swim 2:08/100m
Bike 23.66mph average
Run 7:11/mi

I ended up 1st in my age group and 8th overall of about 268, really caught me by surprise, and I was walking funny for the next 3 weeks because of it! 
There are more details on my race report if you are interested:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=170346

I agree about the moderation, lately I've been feeling like I've been doing too much and it's hurting my ability to get in quality workouts. I'm OK with scaling back some of my activities, especially when I need to really start putting in the hours, just have to decide which ones. 

And I'm headed to the pool tomorrow morning! I haven't swam in a couple weeks and I'm kicking myself for it, it's my weakest portion and I know I should be spending the most time on. I'm hoping I can get some video so I can get some feedback from our fish-turned-triathletes. =)
2010-04-19 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2803284

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Synon - great race!  Great bike and run splits!  Are you planning on doing sprints or doing longer events? 

Yes, you can improve some time on the swim.  You could probably shave a few minutes off that time.  How far ahead was 1st overall?  

Don't spend TOO much time swimming though.  Your already strong and fast and it might not be worth it to spend TOO many additional hours in the pool - the cost (time spent in pool), might not outweight the benefits (time improved).
2010-04-20 12:02 PM

Panama City Beach, FL
If your group is still open, I'd like to join.

"My First Tri" is on 19 June.  I haven't registered for it yet, because I am a little apprehensive.  I will be ok for the run and bike, but very uncertain about the swim (I have been told I swim like a drowning rat).  However, I think that finishing this race would be achievable for me: run - 2.5mi, bike - 8mi, swim - 200m.   I'm hoping that I will get the tips and support I need to pull this off.

About me:

I am 40yr old, geeky engineer. I live in NW Florida, married with 4 kids: 17, 12, 9, and 8. 

To date I have only competed in 3 races: 2 5Ks and 1 half-marathon.  My goal for the half was to siimply finish without puking.....I am happy to say that I made that goal.  I finished the half in 2:44:xx.  I plan to do another half this fall with the goal to knock at least 15min off of my time.
I am pretty slow (avg 12min/mi), but with some dedicated, focused training I think that I will achieve this.  My other big goal is to complete a century bike ride.  My fancy-shmancy new bike was just delivered to the shop and can't wait to start doing some longer distance rides (right now I'm riding about 17miles,  twice a week).
I haven't started swimming (or should I say dog-paddling?) yet this spring....still waiting for my pool water to warm up for me (my kids have already been swimming for a few weeks, but still a bit chilly for my liking!)

-Beckie
2010-04-20 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2803121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hi Tony,

Glad to see we are up and running.  My confirmed next race is not until July 24 which is a sprint distance.  I am debating whether to do one June 6 but have the choice to do an aquabike or sprint - not sure whether we can swing the weekend and if so,  which one I want to do.  I am following one of the training plans here on BT.  I swim twice a week - one day for endurance one day for drills, walk 2-3 times a week trying to work up to running again if my shins will cooperate, teach spin one day a week and try to get out on my bike at least 1-2 times a week but the weather has not been cooperating lately.

I also try to through in some yoga when I get a chance.  It is hard trying to squeeze in the workouts with work and kids and family.

2010-04-20 2:35 PM

New user

Chicago
Subject: ---

Edited by gwhoosier 2010-04-20 2:58 PM
2010-04-20 2:45 PM

Hey I would Love to Join you group!

About me: Im 23 Im in the Army and stationed in IRAQ right now. Im married and have a baby girl.

I would like to do a sprint triathalon.

Out here my resources are slim I have a stationary bike a treadmil or the option of running outside on a dirt road with lots of rocks not the best!

Im in ok shape...running will deffinatly be my strong point in this sport!

I just had my baby 9 months ago so Im working my way back into the shape I was in before hand

I can run 3 miles in between 24- and 25 minutes.

Id really like advice on weight training and how to train for his I have somehwat of an Idea but like I said I am brand new and would love the help!

Look forward to working with you coach!

Tanya
2010-04-20 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I'd like to get in on the fun too

Name: Matthew
Story: Was a competitive swimmer/mountain biker through high school, stopped the swimming in college but kept biking.  After college got into road biking and probably have put in ~2000 miles/yr for the past few years including multiple centuries per season.  Had been about 6+ years since I had set foot in a pool to swim a lap before starting training a few months ago, likewise the most I had ever run at one time was definitely under 2 miles until about a month ago.

Family Status:  26 years old, married, 2 cats, Brooklyn New York

Current Training:
  Decided that since I liked swimming and biking and didn't despise running that Triathlon's may be a good thing to try.  Started about 2 months ago training for the NYC Triathlon (Olympic) on July 18 with team in training and have been feeling great about how things are coming together.  I always need a next step to work towards, so a few days ago I registered for the Syracuse HIM on September 19th - right back into training after a short rest following NYC.

Still working out the details of a larger training plan that ramps up for Syracuse, but I'm looking at around 8-9 distinct activities a week (more running, less swimming, with 1 brick/week) with a bit less during rest weeks (every 4th currently)

This Year's Races:  NYC Tri (Olympic), Syracuse 70.3, RAGBRAI (475 mile bike across Iowa), MS150 city to shore ride, plus trying to throw a few sprints in as "warm ups"

2009 Races
:  Just biking events, 3-4 centuries + too many 50+ mile rides to count

Weight loss:  Have been at 220ish give or take since the beginning of college.  Weight is staying the same but I'm finally starting to see some changes (i.e.; getting rid of some extra around the middle) which is great

What makes me a good Mentee:  I'm jumping into this full speed ahead and am willing to take any advice I'm offered.

-matthew
2010-04-20 3:21 PM

User image

wisconsin
If there is still room, I'm in!

Name:
Adam
Story: First year doing tri's.  I was always involved with sports through High School and College.  I have had 4 knee surgeries that forced me to stop most of those sports.  I will be turning 30 this year and would love to be in better shape at 30 than I was at 20.  I have always been into lifting weights but never any endurance sports.  I love the challenge and would love to do an Ironman in the next 5 years.  I have a pretty stressfull job and exercise and a nice outlet.
Family Status:  29 years old, married, live in Southern Wisconsin.

Current Training:
  I haven't been really good at keeping up my logs.  I have been gradually increasing my running and am now up to about 3.5 milles a couple of times a week.  Biking has been on a trainer for the last couple of months.  Mainly just trying to get time in the saddle.  I need to get back into a pool.  I was swimming and then had some tendonitis in my shoulder to stop me.  Swimming is my crutch.  My job can take it's toll on my training some weeks as well.

This Year's Races:  Lake Mills Sprint (My 1st tri), Oshkosh Olympic

Weight loss:  I 5'9" with a muscular frame weighing in between 185 and 190.  Would like to get down to 170 to 175.

What makes me a good Mentee:  I take advice well and am a pretty all or nothing sort of person.  I also want to do something for myself and set an example for people who think that they can't achieve something that others consider a little "crazy."
2010-04-20 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
If you can squeeze one more in...

Name: Mike

Story: Been involved in organized sports all my life.  Played rugby in college then in the USA Super League after graduating.  Recently moved to a new state, dropped rugby and had nothing to take its place.  Started swimming in addition to running and thought, hey, I’m one-third short of a triathlon, let’s go for it.  I made that decision about a month ago and signed up for a sprint tri (super sprint actually) on May 22.  Borrowed a bike and started training using a 13 week 2x balanced sprint plan on BT.  Love it.  Can't wait for the 1st race!

Family Status:  28, married.  No kids.  One dog, God love her, she acts like a child.

Current Training:
  2x balanced sprint plan from BT.  I keep a pretty good record of my trainings.  With my background being all on foot it’s obvious my weaknesses are biking and swimming but have made good progress lately (I think).  Can do a 25 min swim, 40 min run and 45 min bike without issue - just haven't tried more than 2 in the same session.

This Year's Races:  Soak up the Sun (super)sprint in Madison, MS on 5/22.  250m swim, 8mi bike, 2mi run.  Good beginner I think.  Hope to do another late June. 

Weight loss:  Last time on a scale I was at 174ish, which has been typical post-rugby.  During rugby I was between 180 and 185.  I'm 5'11 (6'0 on a good day) so I think this weight is ok for me.

What makes me a good Mentee: Excited and eager.  Open-minded, I WANT to train better but I don’t know what I don’t know.  I WANT to do well.  Always been a competitor and disciplined with training.

2010-04-20 7:40 PM

New user

San Antonio de Belen
Hi Tony,

I'm a newbie in triathlons, just recently completed my 1st sport distance in 2 hours but was actually pacing myself to see how I managed to survive, I had trained for a few months prior to it by myself so I didn't have much experience. I'm currently training with a local group here however would love to have all the help I can get to better my times and improve in what I consider a fascinating sport. By the way, by "here" I mean Costa Rica. So, I'm pretty far away from you guys and the weather might be a little different. I'm married, got two amazing kids and need to juggle my training with family and work like most of the people here I believe.

Best regards,

Richard
2010-04-20 8:52 PM

New user

Hey Tony,

I would like to join your group.  I just signed up and started my "official" training a few weeks ago.  I am a 50 yr old father of two (20 and 17) married for 24 yrs (as of yesterday!).  I started boot camp back in September at the club where my daughter lifeguards.  I have only missed 1 class since then and have never felt better and lighter (33 lbs with 20 more to go)!  To further challenge myself I signed up for my first sprint tri on June 27th. 

Last Sunday I biked 27 miles (my strongest event). I am lucky enough to have a friend who lent me there Waterford road bike.  It's like biking on a cloud compared to my mountain bike.  Talk about the right equipment for the right job. 

I also recently swam a series of 200 yd sets.  6 weeks ago I could hardly swim 25 yds. These recent successes have only fueled my enthusiasm. Unfortunately I am nursing a shin splint that won't go away so I have traded running (my weakest event) for the elliptical.

I am training with a small group at my club but want to expand my resources and have really enjoyed the information provided on this site.  I look forward to sharing my experiences and seeking advice. 
2010-04-20 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2805006

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Fechter99 - Good to see that you are following a schedule.  Sometimes some of those "cookie cutter" plans are tough since you have to account for family, work, etc... but none the less they are still great plans to get you going.

Why the shin spints?  Not usually a runner?

2010-04-20 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2804460

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@beckie32536 - Welcome!  Glad to hear you are ready for your 1st tri.  I actually live and coach out of Fort Walton Beach!  There are several people getting ready for the 1st tri, it's definetly a good distance to give it a go!

We are planning on an OWS with some folks looking to practice transitions and some OWS.  Shoot me a PM if your interested and I'll let you know the date /time!

Welcome again!  And need to start getting in the pool!  Only have a coulpe of months to get ready!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony Zamora's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9