General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 42s
Overall Rank = 8/268
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Not much sleep... room was too hot so after an hour and a half I moved into the office (which has a bed), much better. Fell asleep then my PHONE started ringing at 1:30AM, and someone was speaking in chinese, telemarketer I'm assuming. My heart was pounding from being woken up by the phone and it took a little while to calm down, woke up at 4am and had a bowl of oatmeal and checked to make sure I had everything. Arrived at race site around 5:15am which gave us 2 hours before our wave.

Wondered around, made sure I knew where all the entrances/exits are, made sure I knew where my bike was. Watched the Half-Iron's start.
Event warmup:

Not much, had 2 minutes to warm up in the water.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went great! We started out wading in the water, I was near the back slightly off from the middle. There were some very minor collisions, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating. I was hoping to get a better warmup for the swim, we were only allowed 2 minutes in the water to get ready. I started off bilateral breathing for the first 100m or so and started out just a tad too fast, so I started breathing every stroke. I never do this in practice but it felt like I could push a lot of water and got into a good rhythm. I found a couple people to draft off for a little while and I passed a few people, mainly those doing back/breaststroke. I really enjoyed the swim and it went by very fast!
What would you do differently?:

I feel more confident in my swimming ability, maybe start closer to the front next time. Oh, of course, more time in the pool!
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

T1 went well, I practiced my whole transition yesterday so I knew exactly what order I needed to do everything. Tried getting on my bike while it was still moving slowly, was too disoriented and almost fell over, should have just stopped.

Stop my bike to get on
Bike
  • 29m 10s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 23.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow! I was flying! I had a GU a couple minutes in and I felt really strong, I was passing people like crazy. I got passed a couple times and I must have passed 40-50 people. I tried to keep up with a guy who had a disc wheel and we passed each other throughout the course, he got me in the end though! Super pleased with the bike, surpassed my expectations by a long shot. I saw a lot of sweet rides in transition, but just goes to show, a $200 bike and a good engine goes a long way!

Nothing, I gave it everything I had.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

No complains, I did slow down early because I thought I had to dismount 100 feet before I actually had to. Shoes went on with no trouble at all.

Nothing, very fast transition
Run
  • 25m 8s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept a good pace the whole time, very steady. I "attempted" to drink some gatoraid right out of transition, apparently I'm not capable of drinking while running, I got it all over my face! I only got passed once and I noticed that half a mile from the turn around people were just starting to come back!!! This could only mean I was in a great position, I was pretty excited but I saw some younger guys running the other way, I couldn't see how old they were though but it didn't matter... I wasn't going to catch them. My knee did well, no pain! Of course later in the day I'm paying for it.

Figure out what's hurting my knee, I didn't have nearly as much training as I would have liked but I was thrilled about my performance on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I should have jogged a bit and stretched more, my quads cramped up pretty badly and walking sucked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on the run, being a new swimmer.

Event comments:

There were some problems with organization and communication with the participants. The transition area had ran out of water as the HIM racers were coming in, they were pretty upset by it. We had no idea where the food and award ceremony was, I guess it was announced earlier, but it would have been nice if it had been communicated before the race where all this was taking place. The course is absolutely stunning and I'd highly recommend it to anyone, overall I had a great time and I'll be back next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 700 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 54/268
Performance: Good
Suit: Body Glove farmer john
Course: Out 175m, left around a bouy and a straightaway for 400m, then another left and 125m in
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:10 | 11.5 miles | 23.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 7/268
Wind: Little
Course: Could you ask for a more beautiful course? Flat smooth road with no turns except the turn around, about 10 feet of road shoulder so you have plenty of room. The lake was to our right the entire time and perfect weather, beautiful day for a ride!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:08 | 03.5 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 9/268
Course: Same as the bike, flat smooth road with the lake to our left this time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 12:25 AM

User image

, Arizona
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-07-20 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2295227

User image

Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance
AWESOME! First in your AG (and not an easy AG to win, I'm sure) and 8th overall in your first tri - and you just learned to swim? That is so cool! You were smoking fast on your $200 bike Smile! Congratulations on a great race - you should definitely do another one SOON!
2009-07-20 8:50 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Eric, awesome job out there.  Sounds like you executed everything perfectly.  You are one fast dude.  You killed the bike and run segments (and in the end, it's definitely not about what bike you ride as you found out).  First in your AG and 8th overall in your first race.  I'm sure you'll have many more successes ahead of you.  Way to go!!!
2009-07-20 6:33 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Great job on your first tri even! Your swim was fantastic, you've come a long way. And your bike/run were smoking fast as well. This is an addictive sport.

2009-07-20 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job! Yes, the RD has some staffing issue's but it was a beautiful morning and a great course. Food and wards were in the covered area to the left of swim out. I was in the Half and my wife in the Olympic. Hope to meet you sometime!

Edited by bryancd 2009-07-20 7:00 PM
2009-07-24 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Wow wow wow!!! GREAT race!! I can't drink and run either... would like to master that one of these days. You flew on the bike! And I'm really thrilled that you had a good swim. Congratulations on a fantastic race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed