BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2011-12-18 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society
Welcome

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: BigDH / Darren

STORY: Just a 34 year guy who woke up one day 4 years ago about 70 pounds overweight and decided that was enough of that. Started working out, did a 10k, most painful thing ever, always wanted to do an Ironman so I did one 18 months later, one of the coolest things I have ever done. Did a couple of other triathlons. HATED running. Discovered I love running so been doing a bit of that as of late.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 34 month old and a 4 month old.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am getting my base up for a killer 2012 of running. Getting back to 80k weeks. December has been a grind because I ended up with this goal of doing 80km a week and spent too much time during the summer biking so have been playing catch up. Also doing quite a bit of yoga. Aiming for 104 hours this year, think I should make it, but it has been a lot of yoga the past 2 months. Probably the week after Christmas I start my marathon plan, hopefully going for Pfitzingers 85 mile a week plan, which will seriously kick my a$$. So, mostly I run, although once the snow melts up here in Calgary I will be riding my bike to work which should get me in about 150k a week in the saddle, so to speak.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I had a good year, a 50k, a Half Marathon, A marathon, a Trail marathon. It was a good time.

2012 RACES: I got some races lined up. a 50k, a Half MArathon, a Marathon, a trail marathon, a 50 miler, another trail marathon and finally, the lost soul 100 miler down in Lethbridge, Alberta. Really looking forward to it.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last time I weighed myself (December) I was about 190. I need to work on my diet but it is not anything I have ever worried about in the past. Not a priority for me, but probably should be. Would really like to see 180.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am self employed and frequently on the website. I think that the most important aspect of training is being held accountable for getting your workouts in and sticking to a solid plan. I hold myself accountable and will hold anyone who joins accountable to their goals. THAT, is not the fun side, but it is the fulfilling side.

On the other hand, I like to think that I am a fun guy. I have the type of amateurish knowledge that one gains from participating in triathlons for 4 years. I have made all of the mistakes, including but not limited to

- actually I won't make a list but it is long, and somewhat embarrassing, and continues to grow but has given me a small amount of expertise.

I love to throw inspires out there. I love hearing about little workout victories and sharing mine. I think that participating in triathlons or even just training for them is something that more people should pursue and that too many people give up at. I know the time it takes and cherish the value of building a habit of participating in an active lifestyle. It is, like many difficult things, incredibly worth while.

So you may note that I don't have any triathlons set up. I actually haven't done one for 2 years. I think triathlons are great. I love triathlons. I love the challenge. I love the stress. I love figuring out the training. I love the people that do them. Unfortunatly, with the kids I have had to make some sacrifices, and one of them is triathlon racing. It is sad. Training and racing triathlons is challenging. I know it is. If you need some help keeping yourself accountable for the next couple months, this might be the place for you.

Edited by BigDH 2012-04-03 9:40 PM

2011-12-24 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3943114

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI
Subject: RE: bigDH's accountability training Open For Business

Hello!

NAME: Andy

STORY: Started running a few years ago because I didn't like how I looked. I was at least 40# overweight. I dropped the weight and discoverd I liked running. I started indoor group cycling classes in 2010 and have found some great instructors which keeps me coming back for more. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married (16 years) and two children (11-Julia and 8-Michael).

CURRENT TRAINING: Group cycling M Th and F. And some runing when time permits. This will need to change when I start my training in Jan.

THIS YEARS RACES: I want this year to be a BIG year. I've signed up for a marathon (Green Bay Cellcom) and duathon (Paper Discovery) in May. This will be my second attempt at 26.2. I ran my first marathon in 2010 with the goal of wanting to finish in one piece. This time around, I want to push myself and finish under 4 hours? The duathon is something I've never done before. I'm a little nervous about the bike ride and hope to learn a lot from this group as to what to expect. I've got my sights on a second marathon in September (Fox Cities).

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'7" 230#. I'd like to get down to 220# (and stay there) and should be able to accomplish this once I'm into marathon training in January.

I've set some big goals for myself this year - 2 marathons and a duathlon - and I think joining a mentor group would be a great thing to help keep me on task with training and training with others with similar goals.

Can I join the group?

2011-12-24 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Andy, welcome aboard. Sounds like an exciting year u have planned. When r ur races set for. Have u decided on a specific training plan as of yet?

Edited by BigDH 2011-12-24 11:44 AM
2011-12-25 1:28 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Okay, so not a lot of action here yet. Merry Christmas though to Andy and for anyone checking in thinking if working off some turkey in the new year!.
2011-12-25 12:39 PM

User image

Master

Merry Christmas!!

I'd like to join... Here's my info.

Name:  Emmanem/Emma

Story:  I got into triathlons 2 years ago.  I was sick of being the unathletic one and people not really believing in me and more importantly me not believing in myself.  I decided that a triathlon was a true test of physical ability and started training.  Thanks to my mentor group at the time (and my bf/now fiance who bought me a bike) I was able to cross that finish line.  It was rough and it hurt but I loved every second of it.  Since then I've done a handful of 5k and 10ks but no triathlons.  This past year I graduated college, got engaged, moved in with my fiance, got a job and got a puppy.  It's been a crazy year and training has taken a backseat to it all.  My new year's resolution is to get back into training (I have 4 sprint triathlons picked out and I'm toying with the idea of finishing the year with an oly or HIM).

Family status: Engaged and have a puppy named Shadow who is basically our child

Current Training: None... not even going to try to sugarcoat it.  I'm working on putting together a new schedule and working on my diet.  Lately I'm starting to think I'm anemic because I'm exhausted all the time so I'm working on eating better and starting to take vitamins.  Starting January 1st I plan to get back into consistent training.  I have Sunday swim sessions set up with my sister and James (my fiance) has challenged me to a weight loss goal (Well weight gain for him as he wants to get his muscle weight back up).

This year's races:  I did the Cooper River Bridge run (10k) and a couple 5ks.  

2012 Races: I have 4 sprint triathlons starting in April and the last one is in August.  I have a 5k that I'm signing up for in February and the Cooper River Bridge Run in late march.  I'm considering the Rev3 oly or HIM in October but I'm not sure about that one yet.  Ultimately I'd like to be able to run in the Disney World Marathon in January 2013

Weightloss: Before college I was around 125, I'd really like to get back down to that... Currently 147 so I have some work to do.

I think that's all about me for now.  Looking forward to a fun year.

2011-12-25 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Had a great group previously and I am looking for a new one.

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: Couch potato for my entire adult life until about 2 yrs ago.  Eating chips watching 2006 IM championship, (for the 3rd or 4th time that summer), and Sister Madonna seemed to run by my t.v. screen and said why aren't YOU doing this?  I tossed my chips aside and said, "Alright Sister Madonna...I'll do it!"  Geez.  So my first year was to see if I could the 2nd was to improve...now?  Its just what I do.  I too hated running, could not swim and did not even own a bike until about 3 weeks before my first tri.  

Family Status: Married to Mr. Supportive, (he gets this and helps me in many ways) for over 27 years.  We have 3 adult daughters, spread coast to coast, and on 12/26/11 we will officially be empty nesters.  We have a punk and half of a grandson that I do believe is the cutest kid in the world of course.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started the off season with a strength training program which has made a big change in physique.  For the past two months I have been grinding out the miles and did not log much.  Will set up a training program for an OLY .  Santa brought a trainer for me and that it going to help soooo much.  I work over 70 miles from home so time is a limiter...but my biggest limiter is when I am a mental midget, as my middlest sometimes reminds me not to be.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Several sprints, Dust Devil, Napa, Donner Lake and my first OLy, the TriRock series in San Diego.  I made small improvements to my times from the previous year but not as big as I should have been made.  Out of my league in the San Diego TriRock but it was pretty cool.

2012 RACES: I will repeat the sprints and definitely the TriRock...last time I finished dead last and want to NOT do that again.  I want to be more prepared and better fueled.  

WEIGHT LOSS: I have lost over 75 pounds; none of it in the past two years, I actually weigh exactly what I weighed when I started "tri"ing.  However, I have gone down two sizes since doing triathlons. I guess a little something called muscle tone.  I have lost the 75 pounds over the years, weighing 235 at my heaviest and now 163.  I would like to get to 145 but not look like a sack of antlers, I want to be strong.

I am looking forward to a new season.  Spending Christmas day getting myself organized for the upcoming season, choosing a new training plan, setting new goals for the month of January, the year and selecting my races.  

Good luck to all!

2011-12-25 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Emma and Cynthia, welcome to the show. Love a Christmas day sign up to a mentor group, shows you got ur mind on the ball. Currently, after lucking out with a 6 k stroller run with the 3 year old I am in the midst of my third feast in three days. Hope everyone is starting a base building program tomorrow. Get out there andc do something.
2011-12-25 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Speaking of Christmas, anyone get any tri goodies in their stocking or under thre tree. I got some nice socks and an unplanned run with my daughter in the stroller which was a nice Christmas treat.
2011-12-26 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

Hey there! Could I join please? Here's my personal info: 

Name:  Kathie

Story:  New Years 2005/06 i realized that I was slowly killing myself. I had to lose weight. Eventhough I was sure I had tried absolutely everything (of course I hadn't) I decided to give it one more try. I had a friend who got me walking. Then I bought a new mountainbike and started to avoid using the car as much as I could. After a while walking became a slow jog. Around 220lbs (started losing weight around 260) I was joking and told my dad "Hey. Now I'm running and cycling. I should go swimming again and then I could do a triathlon!" He laughed so hard that I decided to actually do what I had just joked about. And then I did. I got down to 150lbs and competed in 8 different triathlons in 2007/08. Then I screwed up my knee and found some other excuses to fall off the wagon. Now I'm up about 50lbs again and in serious need of a decent kick in the behind. My training starts today. Seriously. Right after this post

Family status: single, no kids

Current Training: Absolutely none. Well except for 7 days a week of horseback riding (which actually IS a sport). But as said - first training session will start in 5

This year's races:  none  

2012 Races: Sprint distance on may 6 2012. I was signed up for it by my bike dealer. No real choice Haven't planned anything else but I'm pretty sure that there'll be more to come once I'm back in shape!

Weightloss: Well from 260 down to 150 back up to 200. The plan is to get back down to 160 or even 150

gotta RUUUNNNNNN

2011-12-26 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Kathie, I used to ride before I went to college. Do you ride English or Western? I was really getting into dressage before I had to quit. I really miss riding and would love to get back into it someday.
2011-12-26 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Okay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick.

Along the same lines, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon in February.

I am a clydesdale hovering between 205 and 220(like about now)

I would like to be down under 200 by race season and 190 by the August.

Swim: probably my strongest even though it doesn't feel like it.

Bike: bought a cycle trainer for the winter. have not started using consistently as I am more focussed on run.

Run:did I mention I hate running?? Not the best but not the worst.

I am looking for big improvements in my bike and run this year. Time will tell. 

I train with no one else although  I have invited 2 friends to try a triathlon and join this group. Hopefully they sign up to this group before it is closed!Smile

2011-12-26 4:27 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good day everyone. Glad we are filling up. I big welcome to Kathie and Thor. I hope everyone fended better than me over the holidays. 3 giant feasts, multple adult beverages and restless sleep. I did manage to get a pretty killer run out on the 24th though. Got out today again and managed slightly better than a shuffle which was good.

Does ANYONE have plans for this week training wise. Dont be shy. Let it out. Tough to be held accountable to a plan if you never set it out! I think I have managed to shake off my brush with excess during my run today so I am really going to try to get some quality training on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Hopefully just run easy the other 2 days.
2011-12-26 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3954256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

Emmanem - 2011-12-26 10:51 PM Kathie, I used to ride before I went to college. Do you ride English or Western? I was really getting into dressage before I had to quit. I really miss riding and would love to get back into it someday.

Back in the day I used to compete in eventing. I had the greatest horse for that. I could always rely on him. Now he's almost 26 and I still have him. With my younger horse I do dressage and show jumping. I simply don't have the heart for eventing anymore and neither does he Well he'd do almost anything for me. Except it has to do with water. He simply hates it (which I can't understand since I LOVE water). He's just a girly girl. Doesn't want to get his feet dirty I guess hehehehe

Ok back to the subject. My training plans for this week... I just started over with the couch to 5k aggressive plan. I skipped the first month and started with week one of month two today:

Monday: walk/run 21/9 --- done!!!

Wednesday: walk/ run 21/9

Friday: walk/run 21/9

I want to go swimming at least once this week too. But since I don't know how much I'll have to work this week (I'm a freelance translator) and I still want to make time for my horses I'll have to see how that goes. Don't want to plan something I can't stick to in the end. That would be desastrous for me. Guess tomorrow I'll get the recording plans for the translations and then I'll know more.

2011-12-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3954283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

BigDH - 2011-12-26 3:27 PM Good day everyone. Glad we are filling up. I big welcome to Kathie and Thor. I hope everyone fended better than me over the holidays. 3 giant feasts, multple adult beverages and restless sleep. I did manage to get a pretty killer run out on the 24th though. Got out today again and managed slightly better than a shuffle which was good. Does ANYONE have plans for this week training wise. Dont be shy. Let it out. Tough to be held accountable to a plan if you never set it out! I think I have managed to shake off my brush with excess during my run today so I am really going to try to get some quality training on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Hopefully just run easy the other 2 days.

Oh, yeah I hear you about the giant feasts/adult drinks....too much Big rock Traditional!

On the plus, went for a 10k run yesterday with my wife. Beautiful day but bucking the wind all the way home. Snow was melting.

Will probably do a short run tomorrow.

I will mainly be running for January with bike and swim starting in February after my 1/2 marathon(unless I keel over during it)

2011-12-26 5:03 PM

User image

Master

Its been quit the day for me.  I'm visiting my fiances family and this morning their dog attacked our puppy (Shadow).  He was left with quite a bump on his nose but thankfully she didn't break the skin.  About an hour and a half later he's outside playing and eats something and starts throwing up repeatedly to where I'm ready to take him to a vet.  James (my fiance) convinces me to wait since he's otherwise fine and had stopped throwing up.  Then the poor thing passes out for about an hour and we see fleas on him.  He's on medication for fleas but apparently in this area the fleas have been really bad this year and are getting resistant to the medicine. So we have to wake him up and give him a bath with the flea shampoo... James's family dog has already had fleas really bad about a month ago and had to change medicine because of it.  We threw all his blankets in the wash so when we finish up his bath he's freezing and won't stop shivering and we have nothing to wrap him up in.  I had to sit and hold him with a pillow covering him until he stopped shivering.  The poor thing is exhausted and I've found a couple more fleas on him.  I'm thinking he'll have to have another bath tomorrow morning before we leave to go home.

As far as training goes I really don't have anything planned until January 1st.  I go back to work on Wednesday and work through Saturday.  I may try to squeeze in a run at some point this week but nothing's scheduled at all.

2011-12-26 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3953614

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

Nothing too exciting under the Christmas tree this year. Some favorite running socks and some race entry fee money.

2011-12-26 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Hi Everyone!

I would like to join this group, if there is still room. I can post my info later.

Did want to mention that I am a *newbie*. I'm hoping to do my first tri on July 29th. I love tri's, but my problem is the swim.

Thanks!

Pauline
Smile

2011-12-27 10:30 AM

User image

Sign me up.

I need someone that will hold my often excuse making butt accountable for a couple months.  No babysitting wanted... but a swift kick in the butt from time to time would be great.

Back to tri-ing after 3 years and 3 surgeries on my left ankle.  But i have been "wogging" for about a month and things seem to be going well... so now time to ramp it up!  I have no races on tap for 2012 yet but will do a couple local races when time permits... sprint and olympic.

Having a bit of a hard time setting up a base building/get your fat butt back in shape plan so if anyone has a suggestion where I should look let me know.  I always seem to do much better when the numbers are on a book and needing to be checked off.

Chris

2011-12-27 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Pauline and Chris. Welcome. <br><br>Chris, getting back into shape is tough for sure. I think theft mist important part is just setting up the time to get in the workouts and spacing them out so u get all three disciplines in. It is daunting. So Chris and anyone else who wants to set something up, the main question has to be, how much time do u have to devote to working out.<br><br>In other news got a painful 125 min run in this morning. Still burning off the bad food and drink I have consumed in the past week.
2011-12-27 11:27 AM

User image

Hey Big D

I have the time.  Work 3 days a week and can run or trainer ride after... leaves me 4 days a week for me and my boys most of that time they are in school.  So beat me up :p.  Hardest part about it is remembering that i am so far from where i was and keeping that in mind.  Mentally i want to go out and run 10 or bike 60 but physically i would be hurting for a month after that lol.

so this week Sunday to Sunday

Sun - rode the trainer for 1 hour

Mon - off (still have to fit in a date here and there)

Tues - run 5 miles (about 11:00 pace or so... seems to be my pace since starting back)

Wed - Trainer 1:30

Thurs - Swim 20x100  run 3miles

Fri - Swim 20x100  run 5 miles

Sat - Trainer 1:30

2011-12-27 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3953614

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

BigDH - 2011-12-25 9:25 PM Speaking of Christmas, anyone get any tri goodies in their stocking or under thre tree. I got some nice socks and an unplanned run with my daughter in the stroller which was a nice Christmas treat.

I received a trainer!  Bike miles here I come!

2011-12-27 3:23 PM

User image

what trainer did you get??

2011-12-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3954048

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kathie - 2011-12-26 12:05 PM

Hey there! Could I join please? Here's my personal info: 

Name:  Kathie

Story:  New Years 2005/06 i realized that I was slowly killing myself. I had to lose weight. Eventhough I was sure I had tried absolutely everything (of course I hadn't) I decided to give it one more try. I had a friend who got me walking. Then I bought a new mountainbike and started to avoid using the car as much as I could. After a while walking became a slow jog. Around 220lbs (started losing weight around 260) I was joking and told my dad "Hey. Now I'm running and cycling. I should go swimming again and then I could do a triathlon!" He laughed so hard that I decided to actually do what I had just joked about. And then I did. I got down to 150lbs and competed in 8 different triathlons in 2007/08. Then I screwed up my knee and found some other excuses to fall off the wagon. Now I'm up about 50lbs again and in serious need of a decent kick in the behind. My training starts today. Seriously. Right after this post

Family status: single, no kids

Current Training: Absolutely none. Well except for 7 days a week of horseback riding (which actually IS a sport). But as said - first training session will start in 5

This year's races:  none  

2012 Races: Sprint distance on may 6 2012. I was signed up for it by my bike dealer. No real choice Haven't planned anything else but I'm pretty sure that there'll be more to come once I'm back in shape!

Weightloss: Well from 260 down to 150 back up to 200. The plan is to get back down to 160 or even 150

gotta RUUUNNNNNN

Way to get out there and tri again...everyday is a new day!  Good luck with the training, staying injury free, and the weight loss!

Cynthia

2011-12-27 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3956117

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
rn86314 - 2011-12-27 3:23 PM

what trainer did you get??

The Kinetic by Kurt...get the power meter later this month.

2011-12-27 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Bronx

Hi! If you're still open I'd like in.

I'm turning 37 this Saturday (so I'll be 38 in USAT years, ha ha) and I'm a married mom of 1 teen in my 2nd year of triathlon. I was a (slow, heavy) runner for a few years, including lots of races and one marathon, before being plagued with injuries in 2010 and venturing into triathlon last year.

Last year I raced a mini pool sprint, two regular sprints, a du, and an olympic distance at the end of the season, for which I felt under-prepared and came in last (it was a really small field, about 60 people, but I could have been last regardless at 3:47...) I still had a great time and wound up snagging Athena podium spots twice (the last because I was the only Athena in that Oly, but whatever! I'll take it!) I learned to love my bike, and Santa just brought me a new trainer, so that'll be a nice focus until we get more daylight before and after my workday.

GOALS:

I'm hovering around 190 lbs so I'd like to take small steps toward fixing that, slowly.

Races in 2012: My A race for 2012 is a half iron, Shoreman in Port Republic, NJ, on September 8. I'd also like to give the New York City Marathon another shot for the experience but I'm not anticipating breaking any records there, just building my running aerobic engine.

So far, I'm signed up for a half marathon in May, which will really be more of a training run because I'm accompanying my sister who is kind of a novice runner and slower than I am, but it will make for a strong base. I have a duathlon in mind for the end of April, and two possible Olympic races - one 7/1 and another 8/26. The second one is iffy because it's so close to the HIM. I may throw in a couple of stand alone running races or an aquathlon depending on my $$ situation as the season progresses.

Finally (sorry this is getting so long! Jeeze!) I totally need help keeping accountable, with my training, eating, etc. I don't always have time to post a lot on the forums but I think a focused mentor group would be helpful. With that spirit, my goals for this week are to 1) lose one pound; 2) get in 3 more runs between now and Sunday, 3) get that trainer set up and get at least one good ride in.

Back in the pool (my nemesis!) and the weight room after 1/1/12.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  

of 94