BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-08 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Hello everyone,
My name is Scott and I have been a triathlete for about a year.

I am a 36 yr old guy who started triathlons the beginning of last year. (Dec. 15th is my one year start) I started trying to lose weight and went from 250 to 215 but just couldn't go any farther. I am not just a runner, biker or swimmer (especially not a swimmer) but I heard about triathlons from a friend and figured if nothing else the cross-training would be fun. Well I became hooked and the rest is history

I do have a wife and four kids. My kids are Katie - 8, Tristin - 6, Emily - 4, and Curtis - 1. Katie and Tristin as well as my wife all did their first triathlons last summer as well. Another aspect about triathlons that I love is that it is family friendly. More on that later.

Last summer I ended up doing 12 events. I started with a couple of duathlons then moved to a couple of sprints and ended up also doing a half iron and a marathon. Last summer was definately a summer of learning. More on that later too.

This coming year I have 2 "A" races. I have a half iron in June in Boise, Idaho and a half in Lake Stevens, WA in August. These are my main focus and what I am training toward. I have about 8-10 other races as well but they will be lower down on the priority list.

The last thing is that I think I would be a good mentor because I have just gone through the first year learning curve and the lessons are still very fresh in my head. I am also very active on this site and know the importance of activity in a group like this. I am on here at least 2x a day. I log all of my workouts on here and know how motivating it can be to have BT friends. Well I can't guarantee I have all the answers (in fact I can guarantee that I don't) but I would love to help some others the same way I was helped out a year ago myself.

A couple of topics we will most likely cover: Motivation, techniques for training, pre race, problem solving, nutrition, equipment, and anything you have a question.

The best part of this group is that it is as successful as its participants. The more involved you want to be the better the group is. Watching and reading doesn't work so please sign up if you want to be an active participant.

I look forward to going thru this "Great Adventure" with you.

Scott

Edited by holt1997 2009-04-17 9:04 AM

2009-04-12 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - Open

Hello I would be interested in joining your group. 

I started training for a sprint tri back in january.  you can see my blog for progress.  I am doing this for motivation towards wieght loss and a healthier lifestyle in general.  So far I have lost about 30 pounds and feel very good.  I started at 265 and would eventually like to be around 185 over the course of a year.  I am excited about my first tri but scared at the same time. 

I feel like it would be nice to have someone to ask questions as race day eventually approaches I am sure I will have lots of questions. 

I am married with one young son.  They are both very supportive and my wife often joins me for the run portions.  and sometimes my son in the jogging stroller.  Again thanks for the opportunity to get some help on this adventure

Giancarlo

2009-04-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2078926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
stiga00 - 2009-04-12 5:03 AM

Hello I would be interested in joining your group. 

I started training for a sprint tri back in january.  you can see my blog for progress.  I am doing this for motivation towards wieght loss and a healthier lifestyle in general.  So far I have lost about 30 pounds and feel very good.  I started at 265 and would eventually like to be around 185 over the course of a year.  I am excited about my first tri but scared at the same time. 

I feel like it would be nice to have someone to ask questions as race day eventually approaches I am sure I will have lots of questions. 

I am married with one young son.  They are both very supportive and my wife often joins me for the run portions.  and sometimes my son in the jogging stroller.  Again thanks for the opportunity to get some help on this adventure

Giancarlo

Absolutely, Welcome to the group. Happy Easter.

How did you first find out about/ become interested in triathlons?
2009-04-12 2:56 PM

Regular
Denver
I'd like to join your group.  I'm 41, and looking to leverage triathlons as a means of getting in shape.  I've been working out since new years with the focus on triathlons since mid-February.   I've signed up for a sprint in August and am thinking about adding one in July.  I'd like to try an Olympic late in the summer or early fall, but it looks like if I want to do that I'll have to travel.
2009-04-12 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Hi Scott,

I would love to join your group.  My name is Todd and I started training for Tris in Spetember.  At 257 lbs I was looking for a way to lose weight and some way to stay motivated to keep pushing forward.  I have dropped 57 lbs in the past 6 1/2 months and finished my first Sprint race a couple weeks ago in 1:50:02.  Not blazingly fast, but I pushed forward and finished in 38 degree (29 windchill) weather with a 20 mph headwind.

I am single and have a 13 year old daughter and am a 17 year veteran in law enforcement.

I am also now a training junky and a fierce competitor who has fallen in love with triathlons.  I hope to race 1 more sprint and 1, maybe 2 Olys this year.  I also hope to accomplish my first century ride this year.  Next year I hope to nail down at least 1 HIM and going for the Ironman in late 2010 or early 2011.

Would like to get in the group if you have room.

Edited by msfugitivehunter 2009-04-12 6:46 PM
2009-04-12 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2079085

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
I got interested in tri's about 3 years ago because they have a local event near where i live.  It is an olympic distance tri called over the mountain.  I read it in the paper and thought it sounded so great to be able to accomplish this endurance test.  So I am currently on my third attempt at trying to train.  The first lasted 7 weeks.  The second lasted less than that, and this current attempt I am getting past the tenth week.  I still am amazed at the thought of being able to complete one of these events and am very excited about how far I have come so far. 

This time there will be no excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

2009-04-12 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2079547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-04-12 12:56 PM

I'd like to join your group.  I'm 41, and looking to leverage triathlons as a means of getting in shape.  I've been working out since new years with the focus on triathlons since mid-February.   I've signed up for a sprint in August and am thinking about adding one in July.  I'd like to try an Olympic late in the summer or early fall, but it looks like if I want to do that I'll have to travel.

Welcome Bob! Triathlons are agreat way to get in shape and I look forward to be able to be a part of your progress.
2009-04-12 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2079737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-12 4:44 PM

Hi Scott,

I would love to join your group.  My name is Todd and I started training for Tris in Spetember.  At 257 lbs I was looking for a way to lose weight and some way to stay motivated to keep pushing forward.  I have dropped 57 lbs in the past 6 1/2 months and finished my first Sprint race a couple weeks ago in 1:50:02.  Not blazingly fast, but I pushed forward and finished in 38 degree (29 windchill) weather with a 20 mph headwind.

I am single and have a 13 year old daughter and am a 17 year veteran in law enforcement.

I am also now a training junky and a fierce competitor who has fallen in love with triathlons.  I hope to race 1 more sprint and 1, maybe 2 Olys this year.  I also hope to accomplish my first century ride this year.  Next year I hope to nail down at least 1 HIM and going for the Ironman in late 2010 or early 2011.

Would like to get in the group if you have room.

Hi Todd. Welcome to the group. Weight loss has been a huge part of success for a lot of triathletes. Good for you. Sounds like your first race this year was a toughie.
2009-04-13 12:46 AM

New user

Hey Scott

I was wondering if I could join your group?  I am a 30 yr old father of three.  I Just ran my first sprint yesterday, what great learning experience.  I started trianing in january after being talked into it by my brother inlaw.  I have two big weekness food and beer.  I lost 17 lbs but i am having trouble losing any more (due to my love of food and beer)
2009-04-13 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2080138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
street3936 - 2009-04-12 10:46 PM

Hey Scott

I was wondering if I could join your group?  I am a 30 yr old father of three.  I Just ran my first sprint yesterday, what great learning experience.  I started trianing in january after being talked into it by my brother inlaw.  I have two big weekness food and beer.  I lost 17 lbs but i am having trouble losing any more (due to my love of food and beer)

Absolutely. Welcome to the group! How was your first race? What went well? What might be called a learning experience?
2009-04-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2081758

New user

Absolutely. Welcome to the group! How was your first race? What went well? What might be called a learning experience?

My first race went great, it was a two day sprint with the swim in a pool. I had read about people panicking in their first races during the swim, but i thought that since mine was not open water I wouldn't panic.  I did! My first two laps I about hyperventilated and started breaking form and wondering all over my lane, but I gained my composure and posted a 1m 50s/100 yd swim time.  My goal was 2min/100yd.

My bike was great. I didn't have a lot of outside riding before the race so I was happy to avg 20mph.

The run is were I about fell all part. I have never been in a race before. In high school I played football and baseball, I never ran track or cross country.  I got passed by a long legged, younger runner and my competitive nature took over.  The only problem was I had been training at about an 8min/mile and this guy was running at a pace closer to a 6min/ mile.  The good news is I posted a personal best averaging 6min 38 sec/mile.  The bad news is I about threw up and my HR was at a 179, before the race my max HR was 172.

My next race is another sprint scheduled for memorial weekend. It should have an open water swim so I need to get a wetsuit and start training.

Edited by street3936 2009-04-13 7:49 PM

2009-04-14 7:11 AM

Hi, I would like to join your group.

I am 38 and have not done a tri yet. I am signed up for a NJ sprint Tri on July 26.  I am doing it with my wife. She did the same race last year.

I am trying to lose weight.  I have been running for the last 2 months and have lost 40 pounds. 

Setting goals is helping me stay motivated.   So I have some road races (5ks etc) in May and June and then the Tri in July.

2009-04-14 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2082098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
This is a test email to see if I can get the screen to scroll down.
2009-04-14 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Scott, I'd like to join up if you'll have me.

PERSONAL: Name's Jeff, 46 yr old, single parent of a 15 yr old-weekend parent of a 7 and 14 yr old. I'm also in Law Enforcent; currently with the Department of Veteran's Affairs in Boise.

BACKGROUND: Been a runner most of my life, did a bit in college (Southern Illinois Univ). Went overseas in the Air Force and got the cycling bug in the mid 80's. Swimming is still kinda a mystery to me, but I've been making some good progress. This will be my second season for Tri. I've got about 6 OLYs planned for the season then I'll focus on half-marys and possible a full 26.2 in the fall.

OTHERS: I work pt in a LBS, so I can bring some bike maintenance experience to the table.

Hope we can chat more later. jeff

2009-04-15 10:18 AM

Regular
Denver
Subject: Too soon for a 5k?
Basically I started run/walking back in early February and have built up to be able to run 2+ miles at a clip and am running three days a week.  I ran 2.6 on Sunday.  I am thinking about running a 5k next weekend.  My legs were definitely sore from the 2.6, I think the longest I had gone before that was about 2.2-2.3.  I ran 1.6 last night and felt okay.  I'm thinking about doing the Cherry Creak Sneak next Saturday here in Denver.  Any reason to worry about extending myself another half mile?

I've got my training log in a spreadsheet and will try to get it all up on to the BT log in the next few days.  I think this is my 8th week of running.  I should also note that at 256 lbs, I'm a pretty big guy.
2009-04-15 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Any idea why I cant see the posts past 4/13?  I can see the subject has changed but am only able to view the first page of posts.

2009-04-16 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Room for another?

My name is Bill, I'm 36, married, with a 6 year old son, and I am seriously hoping I become addicted to this.

I have yet to do my first tri but I've been loosely traininig for about a month now.  I was a competitive swimmer throughout high school and part of college. But that was about 17 years ago now.  I was always in good shape (165 lbs at 6'2").  That is until college and the weight came on.  At my worst I was 298 then back down to  240 and then back up to 284 and I finally decided to put an end to it all and decided to try triathlons.

My main goal is to lose the weight and keep it off but most of all have a blast training.  Multi sport excites me to no end.

I have a few races this year so far.  My first is the Crabman Sprint in RI in July and then possibly a couple other sprints in early August and capping it all off with a relay swim in the Firmman HIM in Narragansett RI. 

There is so much more to write but so little time.  Thanks again for the opportunity to join  the group.

Bill P.

2009-04-16 12:20 PM

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL
Hi, I'd be interested in joing your group.

My Story: I'm 45, and at the beginning of March I decided to realize my 'dream' of completing a Triathlon. I was a competitive swimmer from ages 7-19, and an avid cyclist for years.  In the last 15 years my activity level has dropped severely and I gained about 20 lbs- which doesn't sound like a LOT, but I'm 5'5" and weigh like 160... and I felt really out of shape. I found this website, and chose a training plan(Michael Pates total Sprint) that I've been working at for 4 weeks now. I have a hybrid bike that I got 7 years ago, blew the dust off, and started riding, swimming, and 'running' (walk/jog). I've lost 4 pounds in the 4 weeks, and was feeling pretty good, then I hit a wall. I'm married with 3 kids (5, 4, and 17 months) and I realized I was totally focused on training, to the extent that I was ignoring my family. I'm hoping to get some help with the 'balance' part of this, so I can still train and complete the Sprint race I signed up for in August. I also have a ton of questions regarding training, nutrition, equipment, transition, etc etc. I'd love to be an active participant.
2009-04-16 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
OK, Scott I would like to join too. I am th e oldest so far at 48. I was a competitive cyclist in my teens into my early 20's. Was even asked to join a team. I have played ice hockey most of my life and still do.

My weight got up to 285.2 so last May I joined Weight Watchers and started working out. I have lost 85.6 lbs. so far so I am below Clysdale. I am 6' tall. Since biking is/was my strength I have been working on running and swimming. Due to the cold weather I have only had one swim (last week) since October. My running however is great now. I have slowly worked up to an average of 45 miles/week.

I have my first spring 6/6 and a second on 6/28. Both real local. There are at least 2 more I will sign up for (one in July and one in early August).

I need to learn some better swimming techniques and transitions as I have not even practiced one. I would like to incorporate some core strength exercise and yoga as well into my training.

Doug
2009-04-16 2:45 PM

Hi Scott,

My name is Kevin and I'm a 47yr guy working toward my first sprint tri on May 3rd.  I'm hoping to do an Oly in July.  I started talking about doing tri last summer.  I began some swimming, running and biking late last summer and got onto doing the Beginner-Sprint preparation in Jan of this year.  

I'm married and we have three children, two girls 22 and 20 & on boy 18.   

My doctor warned me that my Cholesterol needed to come down.  Last summer I was at 228lbs.  I'm currently doing 10 or so hours of training - 8hrs of swim, bike or run and 2.5 hrs of strength and core.  My weight has come down to 200lbs at 22% BF.

I've never been a runner and so far my jogging pace is a "fast run" or "slow jog" according to my pacing - sigh.  My swimming is slow and I've been out on the bike only twice since the snow left.  The majority of my bike and run training has been on either a stationary bike or treadmill.

Kevin 
2009-04-16 4:30 PM

User image

New user

I'd like to join your group.  I haven't actually done any races yet but I was talking to a friend of mine and it sounded like something right up my alley. I usually run 20-30 miles per week and swam in highschool so I figured with a little training and some help I could get this down. I'm highly motivated (except when it comes to diet) and it would be wonderful to have someone to help me get the training schedule down and help out with gear and the usual newbie questions.

2009-04-16 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2089816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-16 2:30 PM

I'd like to join your group.  I haven't actually done any races yet but I was talking to a friend of mine and it sounded like something right up my alley. I usually run 20-30 miles per week and swam in highschool so I figured with a little training and some help I could get this down. I'm highly motivated (except when it comes to diet) and it would be wonderful to have someone to help me get the training schedule down and help out with gear and the usual newbie questions.

Hi Kristen, welcome to the group.

Sorry to everyone in the group for my absence. For some reason the screen will not scroll down past post #11 on page one but now it works again. So if you posted on page one please for my sake reintroduce yourself. Thanks for your understanding.

Scott
2009-04-16 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2089816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-16 2:30 PM

Hey Kristen,
Don't worry too much about diet right now. I train more so I can eat more :-)
2009-04-16 5:12 PM

New user

Subject: Joining: The Great Adventure - Open
Hello Scott,
My name is Kyle and I am 38 years old and live in Oregon.  I have run a few half marathons in the past few years and have started to train for a local Olympic Distance Tri in Sunriver, OR at the end of June.  I too have kids, 3 under the age of 5, and work full time, luckily out of my home.

I would like to join your group to help understand many of the training techniques and tips for doing your first Tri.

Thank you,
Kyle
2009-04-16 5:20 PM

Lancaster,Pa / Onancock,Va

Greetings: Not exactly sure how this works but I am intrigued by the folks signed up so far and the leadership,mentor responses from Scott
I will be 60 in Sept ,overweight out of shape ,and not so good left knee, However I have determination , in my prior life played college lacrosse, used to run albeit 20 years ago and was a lifeguard  open water nitrox diver-- so not afraid of technical components just the rigor and dicipline it will take
I have started swimming and biking ( what a wake up call) and the Y here in lancaster,Pa has a sprint tri this fall----- My goal is to FINISH
Anxious to see what regime others are following and where I go from here

Personal issues  married  37 years,two children One in Charleston SC  36 and one in Baltimore ,Md 34  two grand children 6 and 8-- retired  and started a samll real estate venture 2 1/2 years ago (* what was I thinking ) very much a social person ,extravert so I charge off others energy as well
Currently able to swim @ 200 yds without stoping,-- reading Total Imersion for technical help,-- biking depends on terain and hills !!! and have not run yet to preserve knee  Eliptical and stationary bike for cardio at this time- weight training as well--- but all at a re imerging level ( my word for  remedial)

So let me know next steps and shopuld I join as bronze or silver member ?

Richard 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10