Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Who is doing Tomatoman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-16 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Who is doing Tomatoman?

Since the Leamington tri is doubling as the provincial championships and world championship qualifier, I was just wondering how many more people are expected to attend?

Since the Belle River race weekend has been moved, I think I will only end up doing one or the other and I'm not sure which one to pick...

2011-04-16 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3450435

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Who is doing Tomatoman?
I am I am!!! I love this race!!!! I've never done Belle River though - it always seems so early... When is it this year?
2011-04-17 7:44 AM

User image

Expert

First weekend in June instead of the last weekend in May. It's not a huge change, but my June is already pretty busy and I don't know if I can afford two weekends for races.

I love Tomatoman too! But one of the things I love about it is that it's not huge. I wondered how many more people will be coming this year for the championships and qualifier? The 2x out-and-back run course gets pretty congested as it is (at least I found that to be the case).

2011-04-17 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

Very true.... That run course is really tight.  Hmmmm.  I don't know - I was worried that it would get huge too - but it's also a week before Welland. 

Leamington is my favourite race hands down - I hope that the opportunities that are being presented this year don't change the feel.

2011-04-17 9:33 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

I am totally in... This will be my first sprint. I did my first Try a Tri there last year cause some one talked me into it.

Thanks Silver_Wlf for conning me into it... Somehow I am now addicted to this sport.

2011-04-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3450989

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Techdiver - 2011-04-17 9:33 AM

I am totally in... This will be my first sprint. I did my first Try a Tri there last year cause some one talked me into it.

Thanks Silver_Wlf for conning me into it... Somehow I am now addicted to this sport.

Yay!!!! SO proud of you!!! It will be a great day!!!!

2011-04-18 5:33 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

I have not signed up for it but I plan on it.

KC

2011-04-25 6:15 AM

User image

I am planning on it as well, though a bit apprehensive about it possibly becoming a larger/more elite event. I don't mind being BOP but don't want to be dead last. This will be my first time there.

Doh - I knew I should have done it last year!

2011-04-25 8:26 AM

SW Ontario

I'll be there since the in-laws live in the area (Kingsville).  It was my first race ever last year and I was entirely disappointed with my finishing time so I've got something to prove this year.

Don't worry about being dead last.  Last year there were 2 guys who lasted 100m into the swim before calling it quits.  If you can finish you'll be far from last.

At least at the end I'll end up with enough produce to last me for a week or so Smile

2011-04-26 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3463821

User image

Chatham Ontario
carriecook - 2011-04-25 6:15 AM

I am planning on it as well, though a bit apprehensive about it possibly becoming a larger/more elite event. I don't mind being BOP but don't want to be dead last. This will be my first time there.

Doh - I knew I should have done it last year!

I doubt you will be dead last Carrie. I promise you will whoop my butt. I still have an injured Knee so I will be hobbling through the run myself. But I know you can kick my butt

2011-04-26 6:13 PM

User image

I don't know about that... I am having a hard time getting psyched up to train these days, even though the first race of the season is less than two months away. I still haven't been outside on my bike this year, maybe that's the problem??

For those who have done it before - what is the water quality in the harbour like? I mentioned doing this race to someone and they seemed to think the water there is gross. But I've heard a lot of people really enjoy this race so I can't see it being that bad.

2011-04-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3467631

User image

Chatham Ontario
carriecook - 2011-04-26 6:13 PM

I don't know about that... I am having a hard time getting psyched up to train these days, even though the first race of the season is less than two months away. I still haven't been outside on my bike this year, maybe that's the problem??

For those who have done it before - what is the water quality in the harbour like? I mentioned doing this race to someone and they seemed to think the water there is gross. But I've heard a lot of people really enjoy this race so I can't see it being that bad.

This weather has sucked for biking this season so far. I have less volume this spring then I did last year when I first started. If you ever want to get out for a ride drop me a line. Sometimes being dragged out and forced Helps.

Water there is horrible once it gets warmer in the year. Lots of plant life etc. I went and watched Stef there last year and it didn't look gross then. Its not crystal clear by any means... about the same as Rondeau but a sheltered swim so I think that is what is appealing about it for me.

2011-04-26 9:25 PM

User image

Expert

The water is dark and murky. It's not dirty, but it's no sparkling crystal pool either.

But the worst part of the swim are the weeds. They wrapped around my arms so much that I decided to try backstroke at one point, and then got all tangled up around my head too. For swimmers, I'm sure it's no big deal. I am not so much a swimmer and did not really enjoy it.

I still think it's a great race though!!

2011-04-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3467991

SW Ontario

The weeds were pretty lengthy from what I recall but I didn't have any issues with it.  I was more concerned that I was making the triangle swim course into a square due to my poor navigation skills.

As long as there is less of a head wind after the bike turn-around I'll be happy.

2011-04-27 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3468449

User image

Chatham Ontario
Sucrizzle - 2011-04-27 8:04 AM

The weeds were pretty lengthy from what I recall but I didn't have any issues with it.  I was more concerned that I was making the triangle swim course into a square due to my poor navigation skills.

As long as there is less of a head wind after the bike turn-around I'll be happy.

OMG you weren't that poor guy that went way off on his own last year were you. Everyone made the second corner of the triangle and some guy was WAY OFF heading out of the harbor.... I felt really bad for him.

It was windy last year I was snapping pictures like mad as the bikes were coming back into transition. It was windy and I hope the road is fixed from what I recall eveyone had to deal with a portion of the road that was tore up last year.

I did the try a tri the day before and the wind was worse that day, and it was HOT that day. I recall being in my lowest gear going no where up the hill by the shirk center on the saturday. Any slower and I probably should have walked my bike up...LOL... Going the other way and down hill I was hitting 47km/hr. But it is a great Try a Tri for anyone the swim is in the pool at the shirk center and a couple of laps on the bike course around it. Very well put on event and some great swag for a newbie like I was last year.

I am looking forward to my first Sprint being here.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-04-27 11:05 AM
2011-04-27 12:04 PM

User image

I still have my bike on the trainer. Some days I get itching to take it outside but then there are enough bad days that I think I should keep it inside for another week or two. I am new to all this and the tire changing scares me, so I don't want to be swapping it in and out all that often.

And about the water... ugh... I still have a fear of weedy water. That is not what I wanted to hear! Maybe I should drop down to the try a tri and swim in the crystal clear diluted bleach that I love so much.

Or I could just pray that the cold and wet continue... less likely for the weeds to be rampant by June in that case??

Knowing what to expect definitely helps - I will start psyching myself up now! Thanks!

2011-04-28 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3469007

SW Ontario
Techdiver - 2011-04-27 12:02 PM

OMG you weren't that poor guy that went way off on his own last year were you. Everyone made the second corner of the triangle and some guy was WAY OFF heading out of the harbor.... I felt really bad for him.

I think I was following people who were following him.  I was thinking to myself "the people in front of you know they're going, just stay in the draft".  Then I popped my head up and thought "uh-oh" and got back on course rather quickly.  But that guy must have had quite the morale drop when he realized how far off course he was.

The road was pretty nice for about the middle 10k or so, but just before the repaved section, there was a piece still under construction.  It wasn't that long, but it was enough to make you really slow down so you didn't hit the gravel at the wrong angle.  I can't imagine it still being under construction.

The only piece I don't like about the race is the 2 lap run.  There's just something about having to make 3 turn-arounds that just plays with me mentally.

Carrie...Just use weeds to keep as flat as possible in the water.  If they aren't touching you, you're probably very streamlined

I just hope there are no tornadoes in the area this year.  The drive in from Kingsville in the morning was very depressing passing by all the damage.

And those flies....Gah.  Don't get me started on my fear of swarms of fish flies...

2011-04-28 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I've done this race 5x and honestly - I wouldn't have even thought of it being a weedy swim. I saw them once on the swim - but I definitely didn't get caught up in them.  Even when it used to be on the August long weekend.  I'm a swimmer - but weeds skeeve me out.  Smith's Falls?  That is a weedy swim.... Ewwwwwww.  (And stinky.

The triangle swim is a pain to navigate - I agree.  I don't like the double loop course for the run - but it's great for spectators.  I'm worried it's going to get really congested if this race draws a bigger field... It's already congested with like 300~ racers - let alone if they get another couple hundred...

This is my favourite race. Bar none.  I just hope it keeps the same feel...

2011-04-29 7:16 AM

New user

I am in. This will be my first ever tri. I am however a tad nervous about the open water, but have always felt really comfortable in water over my head in lakes just never had to swim out so far before.  I like the fact that it is in the harbor which closes it in a bit.  I like the fact that there is a potential to have a more elites there, it will give me much to aspire to being type A and all.   Hopefully I won't suck at the navigation in the open water.  Can't wait to get there and see what I can do.

Is the water usually very cold at that time of year?

2011-04-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3472840

I'll be there again last year after doing it for my first time last year. Last year the water was nice and you could have done it with either a  wetsuit or just your trisuit. I wore the wetsuit though since it makes me a faster swimmer.
2011-05-13 6:56 AM

New user

From what I heard on the radio they have doubled their registration from last year.

2011-05-16 3:01 PM

User image

Expert

Really? Whoa. I might switch to Belle River then... Thanks for the heads up!

2011-05-16 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I don't know if they are maybe "hoping" to double the entries?  I just checked and there are only 40 entries in the Sprint Tri so far... 10 in the Duathalon and then the rest are in the try-a-tri and the kids of steel.
2011-05-18 12:58 PM

New user

yes I know I checked the online registration also so must have been said wrong on the radio... sorry for the misinformation. 
2011-05-20 5:58 PM

User image

New user

It's the Provincial Sprint Championships with AG spots to the Worlds.  It will attract a lot of competition.  P.S.  There's no longer a same day registration.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Who is doing Tomatoman? Rss Feed  

of 2