BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-04-08 11:33 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Right now!

NAME: Elaine (ratherbeswimming

STORY: I'm a 25 year old engineer living in South Florida. Since the age of 5, I've been a competitive swimmer. I swam NCAA Division III in college. I did my first sprint triathlon in 2006, but it took a few false starts before I really started to love the sport! Last year, I completed my first Olympic distance race, and I even won my age group at a sprint tri! This year, my focus is on Ironman Austin 70.3.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a crazy 3-year-old dog, Duke. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently, I'm working through getting back to running after being diagnosed with ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome). I'm building up my swim and bike base while anxiously awaiting the day I'm allowed to run again!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have completed the Florida Keys Ragnar Relay, Pangea Treasure Coast Adventure Race, Gasparilla Festival Michelob Ultra Challenge (15k and 5k on day 1, 1/2 marathon and 8k on day 2), and the Canyonlands Half Marathon

2011 RACES: Miami Mile (swim), St Anthony's Tri (Olympic), Club Med Triathlon (Sprint), Ironman 70.3 Austin, Northwest Passage Ragnar Relay, and a few other races TBD. I LOVE to race. It keeps me motivated to train... and it's fun!

WEIGHTLOSS: After hovering around 135, I have recently gotten below 130. I've become a lot more conscious of what I'm putting into my body - and I'm learning a lot more about food.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: First of all, I have the time and interest necessary to contribute! I'd LOVE to help new triathletes (and seasoned triathletes) toward their goals. I have a very strong swimming base, so I will be able to help a lot with people wanting to improve in that area. I struggled to find the joy in cycling and running, but I have managed to do so, and even improve a little along the way. I'm coming off of an injury, so I have experience in that, too. Most of all, I want to share the passion and knowledge that I have in the hopes of getting more people out there just loving the sport.

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2011-04-21 1:50 PM

2011-04-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3436233

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - OPEN

Hey Elaine, I'd love to be in your group!

NAME: Erica

STORY: I'm a 20 year old college student with a hectic schedule- balancing civil engineering, prepping for my summer job and being involved with my university's Engineers Without Borders club. Triathlon is my stress relief. I did a few team tris in grade school, my first sprint freshman year in high school and my first Olympic the following year. Then during track season I injured my knee and had knee surgery so I decided to switch completely to tri. Right now I'm trying to get back into shape after a long winter!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in a cycling class, so I'm averaging three rides a week and just starting to get back into swimming, running and weight training.

2011 RACES: So far, just my University's sprint length tri in late May. Maybe something at the end of the summer. (I really really need to get back into shape!) Oh, and I'd love to break an hour in Bloomsday (12k run) but I'm not sure I'm going to make that...

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to put a few winter pounds of fat back into muscle.

GOOD MENTEE: I promise I'll post and comment I'm stoked about being back in a mentor group; I was in Brian's group last spring and I loved the support and motivation from my group members.

2011-04-14 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks

Hi Elaine, 

I would like to join your group.  I would say I am a transfer from Michaels group. 

Name:  Dave

Location OKlahoma

I am 32 years old with a Wife that has been running tri's for 1 year now.  We have two kids, Brenna and Brecken. 

I have been running Tri's since 2009.  I ran adventurer races for 3 years previous to that.  I love the bike, enjoy the run, and as of lately love the swim.  I use to dread the long swims. 

My strongest point is the bike. 

Elaine thank you for your time you dedicate to us. 

Race schedule:

April 17th Sprint tri (A)

June 5th Oly.  (c)

July TULSA Tough Cycling (A)

July Sprint (c)

Aug.  24hr TT (b)

Aug. Sprint Tri (b)

Sept.  HIM (A

I will stick some cycle races in there. 

2011-04-15 1:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Elaine, I'd love to join your group!

NAME: Melanie (melbo55)

STORY: 38 years old.  Have always been generally active but have gotten more so with age.  LOVE being outside.  Other sports/activities include Tae Kwon Do, ice hockey goalie, kayaking, walking/running the dogs in the woods.  This is my 2nd year of triathlon, having done 3 sprint distance races last year.  I am a pretty confident but not fast/average swimmer, average bike, slow to average runner, but I enjoy being out there and trying to improve my own times. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 outdoor-loving dogs, one of which is a swimming machine! 

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to be consistent but life/injuries/illness keep trying to throw me off track, especially the past 3 weeks.  Having knee issues and am awaiting approval for a Synvisc shot, am currently not supposed to be running (or playing hockey) but *try* to make up for it with extra swimming and biking.

2011 RACES: So far I am registered for 3: Got the Nerve sprint distance, Quassy Olympic distance (my first longer race) and Dirty Grizzly Xterra race (sport distance) and am considering a few others.

WEIGHTLOSS: Want/need to lose more for health (my achy arthritic knees and general health) and to get faster.  I am 5'10", currently around 186 (down from ~203 last year) but would love to ideally be around 155 but will be pleased with any significant loss!

I am looking forward to gaining some of your swimming knowledge!

Edited by melbo55 2011-04-15 2:06 PM
2011-04-16 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3449012

User image

Pro
(sorry about spelling/formatting - posting from my phone). Welcome Erica, Dave and Melaine! First of all, if you are not keeping logs - please start! If you are already doing that, either make them public or become BT friends with everyone in the group so that you can share them. If my logs look empty, it's because I'm on a week-long vacation! I'm not allowed to run yet, but I've done a LOT of walking. Anyway, the logs will help us support each other, and for those of us that need it, help keep us accountable and please add your name to your signature (in the settings tab) Erica - I'm excited to have a fellow engineer in the group! When is your 12k? I was a 10 minute miler in june, and by december, I did a 25 minute 10k. You will get there! Are you fully cleared to run from your injury? I'm excited to hear about what you've been doing training-wise! Dave - welcome! Are you using a BT plan for your HIM? Glad you're starting to like swimming! You look like you have a pretty solid schedule going. Good luck in your sprint tomorrow! Be sure to link your race report here so we can check it out. Are you ramping up for your Olympic yet? Melanie - sorry to hear that injury is interfering with your training, but I can commiserate! Definately keep those swim and bike volumes high (if your doctor says its ok). Keeping that cardio fitness will help ease the transition back into running. Keep us posted on that progress! I'm jealous od your xterra race - the one near me was canceled this season! When is your Olympic race?I look forward to getting to know all of you over the coming weeks! I get back from london on the 19th. My first physical therapy appointment is on the 21st! I'm excited to be on the path to a healthy, functional knee!

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2011-04-16 6:17 PM
2011-04-17 1:55 AM
in reply to: #3450458

User image

Regular

My 12k is on May 1. My time last year was 1:02:59 and I wanted to beat an hour this year but since I haven't gotten the training in I'll be lucky to beat last year's time.

As far as the injury, I wasn't too clear in my post- that was several years ago, so I'm definitely cleared to run. It still bothers me some, so I just have to train accordingly. The reason I got off training last winter was because I got sick in the fall, had to miss a week of class, wasn't good for much the next few weeks, and then I had to spend the whole rest of the quarter to catch up (I'm just lucky I was able to pass all of my classes). So now I'm finally getting with the program

Anyway, that's more than you guys probably wanted to read about my shortcomings, so I'll wrap it up. Nice to "meet" you, Dave and Melaine

2011-04-17 9:23 AM

User image

New user

Hi Elaine, I too would like to join your group

My name is Steve

STORY;I’m a 49 year old male, I would add I’ve been active but fast approaching out of shape. I went for a general check up I hadn’t been for one in years. All my numbers were all out of whack as you can well expect. Knowing I wanted to stay around a long time to see grandkids, by the way I have five kids now, which gives me that ‘active’ life…LOL but still with those health reports that goal wasn’t going to be achieved. I had started working out with weights but found no satisfaction from it. While was setting on the couch watch an ironman one weekend and said I’d like to do that when I’m 50. That the time I was 47yrs I work at a local university and that too gave my no reason to be in poor health.

Family;Married and as I motioned I have five kids, one boy (oldest) the rest are girls, two of which are red heads. Ranging for 19 to 6 years

Training;So after giving up on weight training I started swimming, riding bike and running. I was a swimmer years past and part fish so I took back to it fast and with ease. Biking had always been for pleasure so it too wasn’t that hard to get back in the saddle. Now the running, not so good, in fact I only did that while chasing kids (short distances)

Races;Last year I did a duathlon and a 5K. this year another 5K and have my sights set on my first triathlon a sprint, in hopes to work my way up to a Olympic by years end.

In short I would like to find a program to get me in shape for this, mostly in helping me out in the running part.

2011-04-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3450981

User image

Pro
Hi Steve! Its great that you're looking at triathlon as a way to stay healthy and improve your fitness! As a fellow fish, I understand the ease with which the swimming returns - and the difficulty that running seems to hold. Increase volume steadily and safely, and that Olympic distance starts to look well within reach. Check out the pre-made plans here - maybe a run focused sprint plan? Check out the custom plan creator too. With a little tweaking, you can do almost anything with them! When are your races?
2011-04-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3451055

User image

Veteran
jenks

Results for my Spring Fever Tri.  Swim 400 Bike 12.2, Run 2 miles. 

Total 1:04:29   Place 49th out of 409,  9th in AG. 

Swim 7:34 Was on pace for a 6:50 ran into two swimmers that were slow and hard to pass with 75 meters to the end. 

Bike 40:44

Run 13:42

It was very windy at todays race so it was tough to get a good bike speed and we had the longest hill climb I have ever taken on in a tri.  4.2 miles up hill.  It hurts alot. 

Overall it was a great race for me and I am happy with all my times.  Have fun racing. 

2011-04-18 7:30 AM

User image

Harrisburg

Hello Elaine.  Hope to join your group if your not full.

Name: Ken

Story: I'm a 38 year old Systems Analyst in central Pa.  In my early years I played soccer and started lifting weights during my college years.  After college I continue to lift weights and noticed my weights starting to hit a new high level.  Last year I started to get my weight under control and started running.  I did several 5k's, one 12k and a half marathon.  This year I have alright completed a 10miler.  I also have two more halfs and a whole marathon planned this year. 

Weightloss: I'm about 176 now, would like to hit 170 before my Buffalo half marathon on May 29. 

Training: I am just getting started in my swimming routine.  So I am learning alot about swimming techniques.  I run about 3 days a week and do about 2 spin classes a week.

Hope to learn more from you all.

thanks, Ken B.

2011-04-18 12:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Erica, Dave, Steve and Ken!

Elaine, I am jealous you are on vacation.  I love vacations.  And sorry to hear you have knee issues too...darn knees!  They are great when they work correctly but not so fun when they don't.

Erica - good luck with your 12K!  May 1 will be here before we know it.

Dave - Wow, great job in your race this past weekend!  You must be proud of your times, I know I would be!

Steve - congrats on making the decision to improve your health by becoming more active, and how exciting for you to be preparing for your first sprint race!

Ken - I am from the central PA region as well.  Are you signed up for any of the local tris, or are planning on signing up for any?

My Olympic distance race is the weekend of June 4 and 5.  I actually had a 'nightmare' about the race last night!  I dreamt I was the last person out of the water (I'm slow but not THAT slow), and when I went to transition I was missing gear and had to run all over the place to try to get what I needed and when I was ready to start the bike, every single bike was gone and runners were returning from the run already!  Weird, I know.

I added the members of our group to my friends list so we can see each others' logs, hopefully that is OK with all of you.

Edited by melbo55 2011-04-18 12:46 PM

2011-04-18 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Norman

Hi Elaine, I would like to join your group if it’s not full.

NAME: Nick (nhermes

STORY: I'm a 21 year old college student in Oklahoma. I have been a runner since Jr. High and ran 2 years in college racing cross country and mid-distance. I transferred this year and actually started training for track again, but at Christmas time I gave up. So after a month and a half of doing nothing I was bored and decided to attempt a triathlon which brings me here.

FAMILY STATUS: 2 dogs with my parents back in Texas.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have created two workouts on this website and I sort of go in the middle of beginner and intermediate depending on how my workload and feel is that day. Swimming took me 2 weeks to adjust and after swimming a mile I feel that I am becoming better, but still have lots of room for improvement. This is week 5 of training.

2011 RACES: My first tri is planned for June 26 and is a sprint. Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Tri. I believe I’ll do a few more after, but want to test the waters and make sure I enjoy racing triathlons.

WEIGHTLOSS: I actually lost weight while not running so the combination of swimming and biking has helped bring back muscle and a little weight. Between working out constantly and having a really high metabolism I live by eating whatever sounds good which I should probably work on...

-Nick
2011-04-18 9:51 PM

Hello Everyone!  I'd love to join as well if there is room for me!  My name is Laura.

I will be competing in my second tri in July.  My first was this past summer (Sprint) which was an amazing experience all around!  Loved the training and loved the race!  I wasn't trying to win by any stretch (lol) just wanted to prove to myself I could do it (was also 3 months preggo...). 

I welcomed my daughter Zoe into the world just last week.  I am hoping to be able to start training in a couple of weeks.  I love the water, though I've never had an "official" training, I seem to have great endurance and have learned most of what I know from the internet and reading regarding form, breathing, etc.  The bike would be my second favorite, followed by running, which is the most difficult for me. 

I am here looking for advice, support and laughter!!!  It is great to know what others fitness goals are and what works for them!  Three months to train...phew...this is gonna be fun...

I am married with two kiddos...4 year old son and 10 day old Zoe.  I live in NJ. 

2011-04-19 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3453580

User image

Veteran
jenks
Nick where are you in OKlahoma.  and what races are you planning?  I might see you there. 
2011-04-19 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3454218

User image

Regular
Norman
I'm in Norman and I'm not sure yet, but they will all be sprints this year.
2011-04-20 12:22 AM

Hi Elaine,

My name is Erik.  I would like to join this group because I am training for my first tri (sprint distance) in June.  I am 44 years old.  I am an avid cyclist and decent runner, and very fit.  I do yoga and lift weights and take my dogs to the mountains for long hikes.  But my swimming sucks.  I read your bio and would like to take advantage of all of your swimming experience.  

I am married (16 years) and teach 7th/8th grade mathematics.  

Thank you for considering having me in the group!

2011-04-20 6:51 AM

User image

Pro

Melanie - thanks for being so active in the group! I can see your logs now, too!

Erica - that 12k is pretty close! You might not have the run volume in to get to a sub hour, but there is always a chance. It's an odd distance - do you know of any other similar races throughout the year? If not, maybe you can refine it to a 10k equivalent goal time and work towards that.

Dave - great race! Awesome job for a season opener! Your next A race is the cycling race in July, with an Olympic in June, right? What's your plan to get there? How do you feel about an Oly after your performance at the sprint?

Nick - welcome to the group! I hope the tri bug gets you and you enjoy it so much that you continue to do it. Triathlon is a great sport to manage the burnt-out feeling you often get from just one. By my senior year of college, I was so over swimming. I've taken advantage of the fact that I don't have to train swimming quite as hard as the other disciplines, and I've found that I enjoy it much more. How long did your mile swim take you? Any goals for the sprint aside from testing the waters?

Laura - wow! talking about training 10 days after giving birth! That's awesome! Which tri are you training for? Are you picking up a training plan or just easing your way back in? 3 months is pretty quick - but totally doable.

Erik - Welcome! Where is your swimming at right now? There's a great plan here: http://beginnertriathlete.org/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945 Let me know if you find that to be easy, hard, or just right, and tell me a little more about your swimming, and we can go from there.

I got back home from the UK last night to a VERY excited dog - and my first physical therapy appointment is tomorrow. My little sister ran the Boston Marathon on Monday in 3:28:10. She also had IT band problems, but her's developed last year. If she can bounce back and do that, I'll be good to go for my HIM in October I really miss running (I never would have said that 6 months ago!) and I'm hoping to ease back into it.

If you're not using your logs yet - get started! It's the easiest way to check in on progress.

Also, feel free to come in here and as questions, brag about a workout, complain about a workout, or philosophize on life...

Looking forward to a great season with you guys

2011-04-20 9:14 AM

User image

Regular

Yeah my 12k is getting close, and I know beating an hour isn't realistic at this point, but hopefully next year I can get the training in. This race is a tradition in our family (this will be my 16th Bloomsday, first two were in a stroller Laughing), so it's not just about the time. I figure I can always walk if something gets tight. It won't be the first time i'm under-prepared for a race- when I was 16 I did my first Olympic on a torn meniscus (didn't know it then, thought I had just sprained my knee a couple months before). If I have problems I just slow it down.

2011-04-20 9:27 AM

User image

Harrisburg

I just signed up for my first sprint tri.  Smile  Its scheduled for Aug 20th.  Its a 300yd swim-15mile bike-3.25mile run.  Its a pool swim which I thought would be a good choice, since I don't have any open water experience.  This should also give me some extra time to get used to my new road bike.  Spin class is nice way to get in shape, but riding on the road is a different experience.

The only other news is that I have a nice 12mile training run scheduled for this weekend.  With the way weather has been in Central Pa, I would not be surprised if I am running in the rain.  This should be a good chance to practice my nutrition plan and hydration for the half marathon.  Need to remember to keep my first split slower and not overrun it like previous runs. 

Have fun.

2011-04-20 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3456320

User image

Pro
kjbuck2 - 2011-04-20 10:27 AM

I just signed up for my first sprint tri.  Smile  Its scheduled for Aug 20th.  Its a 300yd swim-15mile bike-3.25mile run.  Its a pool swim which I thought would be a good choice, since I don't have any open water experience.  This should also give me some extra time to get used to my new road bike.  Spin class is nice way to get in shape, but riding on the road is a different experience.

The only other news is that I have a nice 12mile training run scheduled for this weekend.  With the way weather has been in Central Pa, I would not be surprised if I am running in the rain.  This should be a good chance to practice my nutrition plan and hydration for the half marathon.  Need to remember to keep my first split slower and not overrun it like previous runs. 

Have fun.

That's exciting! If you're planning on using a plan from here, I'd suggest making a custom plan. A lot of the beginner ones ease you in from a lower fitness level. If you've got the volume, you don't want to lose it!

Will your upcoming half be your first half marathon?

2011-04-20 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3456270

User image

Pro
IronCowgirl - 2011-04-20 10:14 AM

Yeah my 12k is getting close, and I know beating an hour isn't realistic at this point, but hopefully next year I can get the training in. This race is a tradition in our family (this will be my 16th Bloomsday, first two were in a stroller Laughing), so it's not just about the time. I figure I can always walk if something gets tight. It won't be the first time i'm under-prepared for a race- when I was 16 I did my first Olympic on a torn meniscus (didn't know it then, thought I had just sprained my knee a couple months before). If I have problems I just slow it down.

I'll be headed to an Olympic distance tri on May 1, totally under-trained. Let's play it safe but have fun Weird, because I also tore my meniscus back in 2006. It happened during a lacrosse game and didn't hurt nearly as much as I would have imagined. 

That is too cool that your family has that tradition! My dad JUST started running because he saw how much fun my family had at a Ragnar Relay earlier this year, and he wants to compete next year. My family has recently morphed into a bunch of runners (and runner wanna-bes!)

2011-04-20 10:45 AM

Hi all Laughing

My name is Kate, I'm 25 y/o, living in London atm, and thinking of attempting tris.... Don't really do too much exercise right now, but looking a super sprint tri on 30 July. I used to compete in cross country at high school, so running is my strength. I guess I can bike ok, but lack a vehicle, and am RUBBISH at swimming (i.e. flail through a lap at most).

Looking for motivation, guidance, training and eating advice, and would love to join this group if you will have me!

x kate

2011-04-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3456548

User image

Pro

Welcome Kate!

Some excellent swimming resources:

Beginner Triathlete's Learn To Swim Program: http://beginnertriathlete.org/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945 and support group: http://beginnertriathlete.org/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=223019&posts=294&start=1

Total Immersion (TI) Swimming: http://www.totalimmersion.net/home (be sure to check out the Free Stuff tab!)

Swimming is the part of triathlon that I believe takes the most technique. In my opinion, the best way to start swimming if you're struggling on your own is to take lessons, either from a friend or professional. It's well worth it. You can generally find private lessons at any swim club. You really only need a few if you're willing to dedicate yourself to learn. A first lesson would be a great chance to have someone assess your technique and give points for improvements. Then, over a week (or a few weeks), practice what you learn. Follow up with another lesson to check your progress and re-tune the training. 

Of course, if you have any specific concerns or can upload a video of you swimming, I'd be more than happy to help

2011-04-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3456012

User image

Regular
Norman

It took me 29:39 to swim the mile, but that's not counting my breaks between each 300. I might try it again this weekend with fewer breaks not sure yet.

As for my race I actually have a goal of top 10 and if I feel in shape I'll try to win it. I imagine as a college swimmer you have a pretty big competitive side also. My main problem for the race will be the biking which is only 10 miles, but my options right now are a mountain bike with road tires or maybe a cheap road bike the GMC Denali. I've seen in forums people suggesting both directions and the review on here says the road bike is not bad. Do you or anyone else in this group have a suggestion on which one to choose?

2011-04-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3456668

User image

Harrisburg
nhermes - 2011-04-20 12:25 PM

It took me 29:39 to swim the mile, but that's not counting my breaks between each 300. I might try it again this weekend with fewer breaks not sure yet.

As for my race I actually have a goal of top 10 and if I feel in shape I'll try to win it. I imagine as a college swimmer you have a pretty big competitive side also. My main problem for the race will be the biking which is only 10 miles, but my options right now are a mountain bike with road tires or maybe a cheap road bike the GMC Denali. I've seen in forums people suggesting both directions and the review on here says the road bike is not bad. Do you or anyone else in this group have a suggestion on which one to choose?

I would say use what you feel most comfortable on.  If you have used both bikes in the past, then you probably already have an idea which bike feels right.  If you have not used the road bike yet, then I would stay away from it.  Until you get some training rides with it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Spring 2011 Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12