United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 42s
Overall Rank = 299/537
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 7/25
Pre-race routine:

Got there early because I didn't know how long it would take me to set up. Plus, this was my first tri and I was nervous. Went to look at the water. The waves didn't look that bad a couple hours before the event.

Event warmup:

Ran for 15 minutes to warm up, and got into the water about 15 prior to start.
Swim
  • 17m 49s
  • 400 yards
  • 04m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK after this experience, I'm going to take an open water class. I'm lucky that I'm not scared of the open water in principal, but I had a hell of a time getting through it. Since I was in the last wave, I got to see what everyone else went through. Some of the groups were getting really high waves (ours seemed - from my perspective, at least - to have a barrage of big ones). Also, the current was taking people north and the course was around the south side of the first bouy.

When we went, I first ran south down the beach a bit and then went out to attack the waves. I started out pretty well, but I didn't make it through a really big one, which picked me up and tossed me around a bit before depositing me almost all the way back on shore. It seemed like I was in that wave forever, and lost my breath a bit. OK, so I just had to get out past them. The water past the waves seemed calm. So, I fought me my through waves. Diving through one after another, and never really getting a chance to catch my breath.

Finally, I was halfway to the first bouy, and I was panting and gasping for air, but getting several mouthfuls of water. I was happy there were so many rescue people around. The thought of not actually being able to make it crossed my mind. I couldn't freestyle-- I couldn't even breaststroke -- I just couldn't leave my head in the water that long, adn I needed to breathe. From shore, I had seen waves breaking almost as far as the bouys, so I knew I had to make it out to it as quickly as I could. Backstroke for a few seconds, sidestroke, sort of freestyle with keeping my head above the water.

At last, I made it to calmer water, and was able to catch my breath and could start to freestyle, rounded the second bouy and started swimming back to shore. I passed a few people on the way.

I got picked up by one last wave on the way in, and that caused me to lose my breath for the run back to the transition. I MADE IT. That may have been one of the hardest things I've ever done.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to get through waves. I need more open water experience.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

There was a long run up the beach, and I was about halfway before I remembered to start undoing my wetsuit and take off goggles and swimcap. (I was still out of it from the swim). But, because it was a long run, so that didn't hurt the time at all.

I was planning on putting on socks, but decided not to take the time to do it in the transition to save time.
Bike
  • 39m 46s
  • 12 kms
  • 18.11 km/hr
Comments:

I was on my mountain bike. I felt good. I've never been on a flat course with no lights.

Get a faster bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Went well.

Drink some water.

Almost forgot my race number. I've got to put it in a more conspicuous place.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 45s  min/km
Comments:

Funny, I felt like I was going slow compared to my 5k races. However, it turned out to be a PR. Cool!

Wear socks. My feet actually bled in places. Ick! (Okay, they say never try anything new on race day, and I've never run without socks before.)

Drink more before. I felt thirsty. I grabbed gatorade at the first aid table by accident, which always bugs my stomach almost immediately.
Post race

Last updated: 2005-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:49 | 400 yards | 04m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 309/537
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ironman Stealth Sleeveless
Course: Ocean swim a box around 2 bouys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:46 | 12 kms | 18.11 km/hr
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 353/537
Wind:
Course: Flat course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:44 | 05 kms | 04m 45s  min/km
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 277/537
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-13 3:31 AM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Strawberry Fields Triathlon

2005-03-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: #129106

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Strawberry Fields Triathlon
Victoria,Nice job on the race.... Sounds like you did really well fighting your way through the swim. My first tri I had a similar problem (I went out to fast) and ended up doing the entire swim with a side stroke, because I could not put my face in the water. One of the books I read put the swim into perspective - treat the swim as an extended warm up - for the race that begins at T-1. Now I really focus on going very carefully and methodically through the swim - to help keep my heartrate in check.You run time was great - good job!!!Pretty awsome feeling when you crossed that finish line????Dennis
2005-03-13 3:03 PM
in reply to: #129106

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Strawberry Fields Triathlon
Nice job! Sorry to hear about the tumble in the waves. Waves are like buildings. You look at a building from a distance and it doesn't look so big. But when you are on top of the third story, no way you wanna jump! Those waves looked tiny for the shore didn't they? But when you were in there, I bet they felt huge! Congratulations.

Check out the wave pics in GasMunky's race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by ChuckyFinster 2005-03-13 3:08 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Strawberry Fields Triathlon Rss Feed