Gulf Coast Running Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 46s
Overall Rank = 69/138
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/18
Pre-race routine:

Day before I did 25 with my wife. We didn't ride hard but both of us felt crappy and cut the ride from 35 down to 25. I went to the gym in the afternoon and did 20 minutes of cold water immersion on my lower body and that picked up my attitude. Woke up at 2:45AM to a loud thunderstorm and then waited for the alarm at 3:45. Drove over to Mississippi and got there too early so we drove the course which was a very good idea as it helped me pick my lines on the turn.
Event warmup:

Half mile jog
Run
  • 07m 53s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

No splits or rankings, my estimate was that I was about 100th on this mile. Felt good, no ankle pain. I have been experimenting with tri running and Friday I really strained my right ankle so I was happy I didn't have pain on that quick of a mile.
What would you do differently?:

Run has been neglected lately.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I kind of flubbed this one. Short transition so I didn't clip shoes on bike. When I was putting second shoe on the tongue got twisted and I had to take the shoe off and put it back on. It doesn't appear that it was that bad as I was only 5 seconds off the time from race 2 in the series.

practice t1 and continue mental debate on shoes clipped on bike.
Bike
  • 30m 53s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

No splits for ranking, but I rocked. I passed 68 people like they were standing still. No one challenged a pass and no one hung around. Based on the count on the run, I moved close to the top 20 after the bike.

I am still getting compfortable with this bike, but I rode with alot more confidence and aggression than I have on this course the last 2 times. 1 minute 7 second improvement over same course in May.

Nada
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

9 second improvement over last.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a while but alot of folks passed me. I wasn't thrilled with the run, but I haven't been running enough so it wasn't a surprise. The ankle held out pretty good with a little pain at the end. My wife and my nemesis both passed me with about 300 yards to go and my nemisis passed me in the last 25 yards. My wife won Master's female!!!!

I should have been tougher at the finish, but I am okay with my run.

I would change my age group to Under 18 and get a 3rd place trophy :))
Post race
Warm down:

watched other buddies finish, then endurox, then beers withh buddies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Second run was weaker than I would have liked but thats my own fault. July will be a run focus month.

Event comments:

This was the final race of the yearly 3 race series. The distances are as follows: #1 3.1 run, 11.2 bike #2 2 mile run, 11.2 Bike, 2 mile run, #3 1 mile run, 11.2 mile bike, 3 mile run.

Next year they are reversing the run in this race. The first segment just puts too many bikes close together and I heard the lead group drafted most of the way so the change is a good idea.

This is a really fun series at a bargain rate. $20 with shirt, $10 without the shirt. They give full set of awards and they do it fast.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:53 | 01 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/138
Performance: Good
HR averaged 160 and this
Course: Downhill out, uphill back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:58
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:30:53 | 11.2 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
HR was 164
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly loop, rough at start but mostly good road. Has 4 rights and one left turn. The route is lightly traveled but the turns are not monitored so you gotta be a little careful.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:26 | 03 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
mile 1 8.54 164 mile 2 9.35 163 mile 3 9.57 166
Course: downhill, then rolling to turnaround. Then rolling and uphill finish. Start and finish are very hot and the middle is partially shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Woolmarket Duathlon #3

2005-06-26 8:35 PM
in reply to: #183936

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Woolmarket Duathlon #3

Nice race!  And congrats to your wife!  But darn that nemesis!    Seriously, you kicked butt!

I think you should race in CO....if you race just east of the mountains, in general, it's not too bad! 

2005-06-27 11:35 AM
in reply to: #184072

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Woolmarket Duathlon #3

Ken,

Pretty good run times there.  I am surprised you got any sleep after those thunderstorm came through, geez were they loud over here by my house.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woolmarket Duathlon #3 Rss Feed