General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-23 4:13 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014

Saw Hal Higdon's answer to a Q&A I thought I would share.

"In the wake of the tragedy, a lot of runners have begun to ask me about getting a BQ so they can run Boston in 2014. I suspect the demand to be on that starting line in Hopkinton next year will be huge despite the dangers, perceived or real. Unfortunately, the qualifying window is small with entries due in September.

I have heard good things about Fargo, and Grandma's is one of my favorite marathons. But you know the Upper Midwest: Weather in late spring is impossible to predict. Grandma's, with its point-to-point course along the shores of Lake Superior, can be lightning fast if the wind blows from the northeast, offering cool temperatures and a tailwind. With winds from the southwest, resulting in high temperatures coupled with a headwind, you might as well relax and enjoy the scenery. I’m less familiar with Fargo, but suspect that its May race date might offer better weather. Notice intentional insertion of the word “might.”

Still, a June race would allow you eight weeks to prepare: Advantage Grandma’s. Whichever marathon you choose, surf over to my website where I offer Multiple Marathon Training Programs for 2-8 weeks between races. Or, you could delay your next qualifying attempt until September. One runner commenting in my TrainingPeaks Forums, suggested the Wineglass Marathon as a fall option, but I would not look that far ahead. Focus all your attention on whichever late-spring race you choose. I know you will succeed.

Finally, I have not spoken yet to my friends at the Boston Athletic Association. They are busy enough now dealing with the present without worrying about the future. But I will be very surprised if the BAA does not revisit the subject of who gets to run Boston 2014. One issue concerns those runners (wisely) prevented in the last miles of their race from entering Boylston Street, which had become a crime scene. For the 100th running in 1996, the BAA opened its doors and 36,000 ran Boston. I have no inside information yet, but I anticipate some similar accommodation for 2014. The BAA already has said as much on its website, BAA.org. Let’s hope you are one of the runners invited back."

I thought that last part was very interesting and might give hope some of the runners who are just on the edge (or expect to be) of qualifying.

2013-04-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4712277

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014

Hopkinton swore they would never deal with more than 28,000 runners ever again. Unless they perhaps use 2 start points and merge later along the course?

2013-04-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4712277

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014
I'd say this tragedy might be an exception to the rule. But who knows.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014 Rss Feed