Tri-Family Racing
PoolF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 26s
Overall Rank = 25/143
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Everything was set-up the night before so that all I had to do was sleep, get up, and keep focused on the race before me.
Event warmup:

Walking, talking, streching, two banannas, Mc'D Hash Brown, 1/3 bottle water.
Swim
  • 06m 52s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Some guy passed me just at the 200m end to get out of the pool. I was right on his heels into the pool on the other side. He decided to take the fast lane and started to swim much slower and wouldn't let me get around him. I never was able to pass him the last 200m but only becuase we caught a couple women, so it was the 4 of us sharing 1 lane for a good 50m....talk about crowded.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could have done except swim over people and risk injury...I'll have to make that decision next time...this time I didn't feel like it was worth it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Best transition to date. I feel it still could improve but I'm thinking the best it could have been was about 1:30...overall awsome job on my part.

Go over my routine more times before the race day...and in real life, not just in my head.
Bike
  • 36m 48s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Fastest to date on my bike...don't forget I just got it back 3 days before the race. A month without riding the bike only to get back on and pull out almost a .5mph increase by just increasing the amount I ran that month. I was utterly shocked to say the least. Who knew running extra could replace bike riding?

Push harder...something inside tells me I had an even 20mph avg in me but I was still holding back for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Again the best I could have done...there really wasn't any room for improvement here.

Maybe have a water bottle to give myself a quick drink as I'm running out of the transition. Should be ice ice cold.
Run
  • 30m 28s
  • 3.9 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not sure what it is that hold me back but I always feel the urge to reserve something as if I'm going to have to run a marathon. I need to push past this!!! I did however beat my goal of under 8 min miles yeah!!!

I'm going to carry my HRM next race for the run to keep myself pushing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to family and gave them all big hugs...ate an apple and a pear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My worries that I wouldn't be able to finish...silly that I would even think that because I've already done 2 of these now and finished both with no serious energy issues.

Event comments:

Maybe it's just me but I feel there are 3 important things to a successful race.

1. Adequate water stations and enough supplies for all athletes.
2. Accurate distances/record keeping for athletes times.
3. A good atmoshpere for all to enjoy.

This race only had 1 & 3...I was really displeased with #2. How can you argue or challenge your fellow athlete times if all you can see is their total race time. I worked extrememly hard to earn a place in my age group (which I accomplished) but to find out I actually did better a week later than I was awareded makes me feel slighted. Two people had DQ times for the bike but only one was caught because he happened to come in 1st place. Then about a quarter or more of the people had missing times for each event...whats the point unless your just out to finish.

I wanted more but I didn't get it...I'm glad that I got something but feel even worse that others who deserved more didn't get anything because the race times weren't a true reflection of what really happened. Nuff said!

Last updated: 2004-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:52 | 400 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 20/143
Performance: Average
Suit: Knee high speedo
Course: 25m laps...after 200m we had to get out of the pool and run 50m to the other side and swim the other 200m. This was all counted in our swim time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:48 | 12 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 20/143
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Really flat except when we got into the parking lot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:28 | 03.9 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 30/143
Performance: Average
Course: Flat...flat...and more flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-11-09 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: GCC Halloween Tri

2004-11-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: #81056

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: GCC Halloween Tri
Hey Casey!!! Great job and race report. 2nd!!! Awesome job. Great bike pace considering (like you said) you just got the ol' bike back. Fantastic run time...yippie skippy!!!

Way to go!!
2004-11-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: #81056

, Alabama
Subject: RE: GCC Halloween Tri

Congratulations on a great race!  I can totally relate to the feeling like I need to reserve.  I don't know how experienced you are in tri's, but I've found that as I got into longer distances (oly and longer), I can really go all out in the sprints and know that it'll be there for me and I don't worry about it anymore.  It's kind of a leap of faith the first few times, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Awesome job.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GCC Halloween Tri Rss Feed