2010-12-22 6:51 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: Tripletmom01 Group FULL

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now or wait until the New Year? NOW
NAME:
Your username / first name Tripletmom01/Tammy
STORY:short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon I am mom of triplets, who started to tri to get some me time.  I am a certified coach. I have a passion for tris and racing.  I am doing my 3rd IM this year.  Also have a degree in exercise phys
FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family
CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distance in 2008, technical or not) Main focus is IMWI
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done. Did a lot of shorter races...podiumed almost all of them..was great to gain some speed.  I ahve done many HIMS, olympics sprints and dus and two Ironman races
2010 RACES:  If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.  Probaly 2 HIM and IMWI
WEIGHTLOSS: And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete). Havent needed to...I do know a lot about it from my schooling...also batteled eating disorders in college so I am knowlesgeable in that area too
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: A brief paragraph on how you intend to be a responsive and capable mentor to your group for the next 3 months. 

My passion is contagious.. I have a huge background of knowledge and love to share it!  I have mentored the past two or was it three?? years and have enjoyed it

Edited by tripletmom01 2011-01-03 6:06 AM

2010-12-31 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3257156

User image

New user

CC, TX
Subject: RE: Tripletmom01 Group OPEN
Hello Tammy I would like to join your group.  I started training for a duathlon back in late September of 2009, it was a little one (2mi run/10mi bike/2mi run). I completed it in 1:30. Then I was training on/off in preparation for another duathlon in March, but I had to stop due to some stressful situation and I lost a lot of weight. I tried to get into the groove again during the summer, but once again I found myself super stressed and lost all the weight I had recovered. Nowadays I feel better, but physically I feel weak. I want to get strong, gain muscle mass, and start doing races. I really need all the support I can. My fiance and his friends train really hard, they have a strong buddy system, but I feel left out because I cannot really keep up with their rides or training, so I have to fend for myself.

My name is Ele. I'm 29 years old. I have never been really much of an athlete, except for my freshmen year in college where I played in the soccer team. I haven't weighed myself lately... but I think I'm around 110 lbs, I'm 5'4''. 

I haven't exercised in a while (2 months). I'm looking forward to a stronger and better 2011.

2010-12-31 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
NAME: Karen
STORY: I'm a newbie to triathlon (did my first one last spring) but a long-time runner (since age 10; PB of 2:43 for marathon--20 years ago) and off-and-on swimmer (age group and high school, a few years of master's swimming). I've been working for the past few years in Vietnam (as an international school teacher) and decided to get into triathlons to 1) Lessen wear and tear on 41 year-old body. 2) Get back into shape after quite a few years of little exercise beyong jogging 2-3 times a week and 3) Vary the exercise routine since running is a hot, miserable proposition in Saigon!  I find I really enjoy the varied events and training. So far have done an off-road sprint, and one Oly.  I'm very new to biking; just got a road bike; am a technical/mechanical idiot!   
FAMILY STATUS:  Single; as long as I stay in Vietnam, likely to stay that way! 
CURRENT TRAINING: Tend to alternate between running and tri training. Just finished a half-marathon last month (1:33). Now just doing maintenance, mostly swim and run unitl returning to VN soon.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I race quite little due to location--I have to travel internationally to race most of the time. This past year I did an off-road sprint tri, an Oly, one 10 K (44 minutes plus), one 5K (just under 20), and a half marathon (1:33). Should be obvious that I'm more of a distance runner than sprinter!
2010 RACES:   I'm planning to run a duathlon (Olympic distance swim and run) in February, Bintan triathlon in Indonesia  May (Oly), Tinman in Honolulu in June, Vietnam tri in September, probably the same HM (Angkor Wat) next Dec. Would like to try a HIM in spring 2012. No desire to do an IM at this time. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Ha ha. No desire. I have been skinny since birth and struggle to keep weight up, esp. training in  the heat. My weight has been about 115-125 all my adult life (just short of 5'8"). Really want to develop a bit more muscle for the swim and to look less like a weakling!

I would really appreciate any guidance on bike technicalities and training, especially. I love to train but my job and location sometimes limit my options.  I've been fortunate to have some great running and swim coaches in the past and enjoy learning more about the physiological aspects of training. Not much of a techie but will try to figure out how to log online!
2010-12-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3270186

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

pacificsand - 2010-12-31 3:49 PM Hello Tammy I would like to join your group.  I started training for a duathlon back in late September of 2009, it was a little one (2mi run/10mi bike/2mi run). I completed it in 1:30. Then I was training on/off in preparation for another duathlon in March, but I had to stop due to some stressful situation and I lost a lot of weight. I tried to get into the groove again during the summer, but once again I found myself super stressed and lost all the weight I had recovered. Nowadays I feel better, but physically I feel weak. I want to get strong, gain muscle mass, and start doing races. I really need all the support I can. My fiance and his friends train really hard, they have a strong buddy system, but I feel left out because I cannot really keep up with their rides or training, so I have to fend for myself.

My name is Ele. I'm 29 years old. I have never been really much of an athlete, except for my freshmen year in college where I played in the soccer team. I haven't weighed myself lately... but I think I'm around 110 lbs, I'm 5'4''. 

I haven't exercised in a while (2 months). I'm looking forward to a stronger and better 2011.

Hi Ele

Happy to have you in my group!

I think you need to have a goal!  Are there any races youd like to train for?
What do you think is your strength? 

2010-12-31 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3270329

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hi Karen!

YOU are a superfast runner!  Id give my arms to run a 1:33 hm...ok maybe just one arm
I find being a triathlete is much easier on the body then just running... for one it keeps other muscles strong and its not the same constant kind of pounding every workout.

I think the bike tech stuff comes with time... I am fairly comfortable with my bike and can usually figure most things out but at first didnt know much.  I think girls have a harder time with that stuff.

Its kind of cool that you get to travel to do races!

Cycling is my strength  Just let me know what you need...  also let me know if you need help logging on bt- its pretty simple.

Hot Runner - 2010-12-31 5:32 PM NAME: Karen
STORY: I'm a newbie to triathlon (did my first one last spring) but a long-time runner (since age 10; PB of 2:43 for marathon--20 years ago) and off-and-on swimmer (age group and high school, a few years of master's swimming). I've been working for the past few years in Vietnam (as an international school teacher) and decided to get into triathlons to 1) Lessen wear and tear on 41 year-old body. 2) Get back into shape after quite a few years of little exercise beyong jogging 2-3 times a week and 3) Vary the exercise routine since running is a hot, miserable proposition in Saigon!  I find I really enjoy the varied events and training. So far have done an off-road sprint, and one Oly.  I'm very new to biking; just got a road bike; am a technical/mechanical idiot!   
FAMILY STATUS:  Single; as long as I stay in Vietnam, likely to stay that way! 
CURRENT TRAINING: Tend to alternate between running and tri training. Just finished a half-marathon last month (1:33). Now just doing maintenance, mostly swim and run unitl returning to VN soon.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I race quite little due to location--I have to travel internationally to race most of the time. This past year I did an off-road sprint tri, an Oly, one 10 K (44 minutes plus), one 5K (just under 20), and a half marathon (1:33). Should be obvious that I'm more of a distance runner than sprinter!
2010 RACES:   I'm planning to run a duathlon (Olympic distance swim and run) in February, Bintan triathlon in Indonesia  May (Oly), Tinman in Honolulu in June, Vietnam tri in September, probably the same HM (Angkor Wat) next Dec. Would like to try a HIM in spring 2012. No desire to do an IM at this time. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Ha ha. No desire. I have been skinny since birth and struggle to keep weight up, esp. training in  the heat. My weight has been about 115-125 all my adult life (just short of 5'8"). Really want to develop a bit more muscle for the swim and to look less like a weakling!

I would really appreciate any guidance on bike technicalities and training, especially. I love to train but my job and location sometimes limit my options.  I've been fortunate to have some great running and swim coaches in the past and enjoy learning more about the physiological aspects of training. Not much of a techie but will try to figure out how to log online!

2010-12-31 7:07 PM

New user

Hi Tammy, 

I would like to join your group. My name is Angela.  I am 33 yrs. old and a mother of 3 boys.  I got into running after my last son who is 20 months old.  I fractured my ankle but came back and last summer and fall ran a couple of 5k races and a 10k.  My husband and I are beginning to train for a tiathlon that is in May 2011.  I can handle the run and the bike I am not too worried about.  I am having a hard time with the swim.  I can swim, but the breathing has proven to be difficult for me.  Another challenge for me is finding the time to train.  I am a RN and I work full time along with taking care of my family.  I am motivated and want to take my fitness to the next level.  As far as weight loss goes...I could stand to lose a few but I know that it will come with training and eating right. 

2010-12-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3270446

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Welcome to our group Angela!

The swim will come with time...promise.  Just swim more and it will get easier!

I work about 40hrs a week too and have been able to train for IM so I am sure we can come up with some ideas for you!

Where are you from?

apwsalem - 2010-12-31 7:07 PM Hi Tammy, 

I would like to join your group. My name is Angela.  I am 33 yrs. old and a mother of 3 boys.  I got into running after my last son who is 20 months old.  I fractured my ankle but came back and last summer and fall ran a couple of 5k races and a 10k.  My husband and I are beginning to train for a tiathlon that is in May 2011.  I can handle the run and the bike I am not too worried about.  I am having a hard time with the swim.  I can swim, but the breathing has proven to be difficult for me.  Another challenge for me is finding the time to train.  I am a RN and I work full time along with taking care of my family.  I am motivated and want to take my fitness to the next level.  As far as weight loss goes...I could stand to lose a few but I know that it will come with training and eating right. 

2010-12-31 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3270476

New user

I live near Roanoke, VA and I am doing the Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon.  Thanks for mentoring me.  It think it will help to have someone with the same issues to encourage me and give me advice!! 

Awesome that you are training for IM!!
2010-12-31 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin

Hey - I was excited to see this group open since I'm training for IM WI in Sept.  I'd like to join....

NAME: SpottedCow/Carrie Tate 

STORY: 
I had no athletic background earlier in life but I’ve finished multiple marathons in the past several years....started to get a bit bored after seeing no improvements (PR of 4:10).   I’ve completed only two sprint triathlons in the last year.   I see myself as a weak swimmer, reasonable cyclist, and below average runner.   I just hired a coach and we’re working on maintenance stuff over winter .  I’ve also joined the local master’s swim club, where I currently take a novice swim technique class.   

In my real life, I’m an emergency room veterinarian

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids,  one 3-legged Pit Bull

CURRENT TRAINING: Main focus is IMWI  (will be my first IM)

2011 YEAR'S RACES: Door County Half Marathon (May), Green Bay Triathlon (Olympic – June), Racine 70.3 (July), Ironman Wisconsin (Sept)

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m 5’8” and 135 pounds.  Based on my past history, I feel best at 125 pounds, so I need to lose 10 by April.  That’s non-negotiable. 

HOPES AND FEARS
: My two biggest fears are: 

1) Finding balance.  My work schedule can be brutal.  I work primarily overnight hours as well as 2 out of every 3 weekends and most major holidays.  Some shifts last 16-18 hours.   The flip-flopping between night and day hours is difficult too- but I’m not going to let my job prevent me from reaching my fitness goals. 

2) Allowing anxiety to get the best of me.  When I worry about training or my job, the worry interferes with my sleep and it’s a vicious cycle.  My sleep scheduled is messed up as it is! I need to train well enough to have confidence about the longer races in order to reduce the anxiety.

A WORD OF THANKS: I appreciate your willingness to share your advice and experiences with the rest of us!  PS - I really enjoyed "The Distance"!

2011-01-01 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3270635

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hey Carrie!

We should hook up for some long rides this summer...my parents live near Newburg so I head out that way sometimes
Congrats in signing up for IM..its a great experience.  Great you have a coach.. that should be very beneficial.

Your work schedule is crazy...how many hours a week are you working?

About the weightloss...training for IM will probaly help...also you will feel so much quicker 10 pounds lighter...which is always a nice thing!

Im glad you liked the Distance... I should have put a shameless plug for it in my intro.  For those of you who didnt know.. I was in an IM documentary...pretty good flick I must say

http://distancedvd.com/

Welcome to the group

SpottedCow - 2010-12-31 11:11 PM

Hey - I was excited to see this group open since I'm training for IM WI in Sept.  I'd like to join....

NAME: SpottedCow/Carrie Tate 

STORY: 
I had no athletic background earlier in life but I’ve finished multiple marathons in the past several years....started to get a bit bored after seeing no improvements (PR of 4:10).   I’ve completed only two sprint triathlons in the last year.   I see myself as a weak swimmer, reasonable cyclist, and below average runner.   I just hired a coach and we’re working on maintenance stuff over winter .  I’ve also joined the local master’s swim club, where I currently take a novice swim technique class.   

In my real life, I’m an emergency room veterinarian

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids,  one 3-legged Pit Bull

CURRENT TRAINING: Main focus is IMWI  (will be my first IM)

2011 YEAR'S RACES: Door County Half Marathon (May), Green Bay Triathlon (Olympic – June), Racine 70.3 (July), Ironman Wisconsin (Sept)

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m 5’8” and 135 pounds.  Based on my past history, I feel best at 125 pounds, so I need to lose 10 by April.  That’s non-negotiable. 

HOPES AND FEARS
: My two biggest fears are: 

1) Finding balance.  My work schedule can be brutal.  I work primarily overnight hours as well as 2 out of every 3 weekends and most major holidays.  Some shifts last 16-18 hours.   The flip-flopping between night and day hours is difficult too- but I’m not going to let my job prevent me from reaching my fitness goals. 

2) Allowing anxiety to get the best of me.  When I worry about training or my job, the worry interferes with my sleep and it’s a vicious cycle.  My sleep scheduled is messed up as it is! I need to train well enough to have confidence about the longer races in order to reduce the anxiety.

A WORD OF THANKS: I appreciate your willingness to share your advice and experiences with the rest of us!  PS - I really enjoyed "The Distance"!

2011-01-01 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Can I join?

NAME: lrunfit/ Lisa - I live in Waukesha WI

STORY: First off I grew up in California so yes I will complain about WI winter a lot!!!  
I started swimming when I was about 2...started racing at 6...started running in high school and kept swimming through college and running through college. Took a few years off of racing (running) after I had my twin girls.  Started back up again a couple years ago and found that at that time the half mary was my best distance.  Then in 2009 I started to race 5Ks and did my first marathon.  PR'd all of my races in 2009 and qualified for the Boston Marathon ALSO bought a bike. 2010 decided to try the whole triathlon thing and got hooked!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married with twin girls age 7 1/2 .  I work PT as a fitness  instructor and my husband works for Harley Davidson.

CURRENT TRAINING: I think Tammy knows the answer to this one ...but for everyone else...swim, bike, run but focus is on the bike so I can get that one down.  I just got my first tri bike.  Main tri this year is 70.3 Racine which will be my first 70.3

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I raced about 14-15 races..probably too many...podiumed almost all of them..ran a 5K series and took 1st overall....did a du series and took 1st AG overall...

2011 RACES:  Plan is 1 half mary (hope to PR 127:10 is my PR right now)..some sprints...Racine 70.3...another Marathon because I haven't done as well as I think I can...and possibly sign up for IM WI 2012

WEIGHTLOSS:
Hmmm....was pretty skinny when I only ran but biking has added some pounds.  Maybe lose about 4-5 just to get some speed back running wise.  I would really like to get some good core strength which since I teach fitness classes you would think would be easy but....

Even though I raced a lot last year and did well I still lack confidence on the bike and on the run.  I really need to get my race day nutrition down and am totally open to ideas on this.  I hope I can use some of my running and swimming knowledge to contribute to the group and I hope Tammy and the other members of the group can lend me some of their expertise.

2011-01-01 8:30 AM

New user

Hello I would like to join your group!Name : jlp1218/ JenniferStory : I am avid cyclist mostly mountain biking and signed up for a HIM on a whim last year without really being a runner or swimmer or even doing tris. I was happy to finish in the MOP for the 30-34 age group! The run was beyond pitiful, I learned I need to run more miles per the BT montage - run often, run slow, and sometimes hard. I fell in love with the sport and the people. Family status : technically single but for all intensive purposes married to wonderful man. He supported me so much last year while training, never complained and kept the house clean! No kids but the four legged kind.Training : I work a ot of hours as project manager which sometimes limits my training. We have lots of stuff to do around the house. My tri training will be kicking back next week. I have been running over the last couple of months to build a better base and training for Big Sur. If ihaven't a choice I prefer to ride. Hate pools now that I have been in open water. Living in CT makes training outside right now hard but bucking up, I know others have it worse.2010 races : hyannis half Mary (2/27), Big Sur marathon (5/1), patriot him (6/18). In the lottery for the leadville 100 mtb race, until I know if I am in the second half of the season is up in there air. Possible for Miami man. All of this running because some friends and I are going to sign up for imlp in 2012.Weightloss goals : none.
2011-01-01 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Would like to join as well!!!

NAME:  Dave (Oriolepwr) - Live in Gurnee, IL

STORY:  Many many years ago, was into cycling in a huge way.  After a bad crash hung up the bike and became sedentary.  Weight went up, was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc so was a heart attack waiting to happen. 

Have two daughters.  Wanted to teach them that being active is the way to live!  Began running so that they could see me being active.  Got hooked and eventually began racing 5k's (every weekend! I can be extreme).  After running my legs to bloody stumps and getting injured, I decided to join the local Gold's gym so I could swim to stay fit.  Walked into spin class one day out of curiosity. Music started and found myself spinning.  I found that I enjoyed it. 

After a long while of swimming/spinning/Running  I thought  hmmmm Triathlon?  What the heck I'm doing all 3 anyways. It can help keep me injury free for running.  

Took my old road bike back down from the rafters.  dusted off the cobwebs, saw dust, grime etc. started riding again.  My bike felt just like an old best friend that you don't see.  Didn't matter how much time had passed.  It felt awesome to be riding again.

Duathlon's, 1/2 marathons,  and then a couple of sprint triathlons, cycling races, tower climbs then followed.  Oh yes many more 5k's as well.
Along the way, my daughters got completely used to going to events which now seem very normal to them.   One day they asked to run with me. I never wanted to PUSH them into this.  I wanted them to WANT to.  I was a happy camper.   BUT not satisfied.

Did my first marathon (Chicago '09)  It was awesome!  Kept marathon training and probably cause I never gave my body any type of break, tore my achilles tendon.  Very depressed about that.  BUT kept swimming and then light spinning. Months of physical therapy and cursing ensued. Meanwhile  I had purchased a copy of "the distance"   as I was becoming more and more interested in triathlon.  After watching I decided I wanted to do Ironman-WI     became friends with Tammy! later I hired her to coach me which she does now.

For 2010 January-April 15th I could not run. I was able to ride though and  Once I was cleared to run again, ramped it up as fast as I could.  With Tammy's guidance in June did my first 70.3 in Kansas.  Not long after Racine 70.3 and a bunch of olympic distance tris.    In August my daughters (8 & 10) raced THEIR first triathlons!!!         September  Branson 70.3   then went back into marathon running mode.   Ran Chicago, then 4 weeks later ran NYC  and then finally the Dallas marathon.  This qualified me into the Marathon maniac club.    The plan for 2010 in my mind was to get my body used to the rigors of the training volume so that I could be better able to handle the full ironman distance.  

I do like to race ALOT  which as Tammy often points out to me, while its fun, it harms my performance.

In any case, I'm having just a great time with all of this.  And oh yes, am off diabetes meds (diet and exercise only, no cholesterol meds)   My girls are now on a swim team and continue to run/bike with me. 

After volunteering last year I signed up for IM-WI  for 2011  so this is my focus.   Along the way I will continue to be distracted by many race events of various kinds. 

I need focus to stay on track and not try to do too much. (though I probably won't listen I'm dumb that way)  I'm hoping to get much faster as I now have quite a bit of experience to draw from.

I REALLY need to work on my swim. this is by far my biggest weakness.

Weight:  doing ok here but not where I want to be at 181 right now and would like to get to 168-170.

thanks for reading! 

2011-01-01 10:58 AM

New user

Hi I am Sandals06/Sandi and would like to join your group.

I am married with one teenage son and live in Chicago. I have completed a couple sprint and oly distance triathlons, last year I completed my first 1/2 Ironman. Last year was all about surviving the distance....this year I really want to push myself.

The past several months I have taken off from training but am starting the new year focusing on running and cycling classes. Cycling is my biggest weakness.

For 2011 I plan to race Racine 70.3 and Pleasant Prairie oly distance
2011-01-01 11:47 AM

New user

La Grande
Hello.  I would like to join your group.  My name is Rene' (rmills).  I am 46 and have two kids, 16 and 19.  Currently the 19 year old is away at college and the 16 year old is deep into her basketball season.  I am a single mom and work as a teacher. I live in a rural area of eastern Oregon.  I have done 2 sprint triathlons spread out over 8 years.  I loved them but staying motivated after the triathlons, especially during the long cold winter, has been a problem.  We have 2 local triathlons here and there is no reason I cannot do the sprint, the other is an XTERRA.  I guess I am a beginner still but would like to just go for it again.  Thanks for taking taking time to help others. I appreciate it.
Rene'
2011-01-01 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hi Tammy,

Amazed and appreciative that you are taking the time to mentor while training and raising triplets! I think my mom mentioned something about you!  I don't get much US TV, so am kind of out of the loop. Giving you a little more info on my slightly bizarre training set-up. I won't go into the swim/bike situation (not ideal, but doable) as I think I have that under control....

I am totally at the ground floor with biking. Bought a road bike (Trek 1.2 WSD--about all I could afford) in Singapore last October but rode very little while training for the half-marathon as it aggravates some hamstring tightness that bothers me when I run higher mileage. Also couldn't find bike shoes that fit, so didn't bother with the pedal/shoe thing until last week, when I bought them in the US.  Now will take them back to Vietnam (where the bike is) and try to figure it out.

The deal with biking: I can basically only ride on the road on Sunday AM. This is pretty non-negotiable due to traffic.  On Sunday AM, a local industrial park closes its roads to vehicles and local cyclists use it for training. I access it via a 5 km "ride of terror" down a parkway with chaotic third world traffic. (I don't dare clip in until I get to the park.) There is also a bridge that cyclists use for "hill training"--otherwise no hills in Saigon. Traffic-wise, it's doable from about 6 to 7:30 AM on weekends. Bricks are tough as it will be in the 90's by the time the run starts, but I do them sometimes. Saturday is normally my quality run day, and one of the three days I can access a pool, so I probably wouldn't bike then unless it was a triple. (Yikes!) I guess question number one would be, if one can hit the road only one day per week, what's the best use of that time?

Aside from that day, I'm stuck with stationary. Right now I don't have a trainer. I can't buy one in Vietnam, and can't afford to haul one back from the US.  I do have a "monster" bequeathed to me by a colleague--it's a recumbent stationary bike. It has a power meter, which is about the only thing on the display panel which works.  Is there any benefit to doing workouts on this thing, or should I be trying to get a trainer for my Trek (maybe on next Singapore trip in Feb.) or joining a health club? I have the "Jorge off-season plan" downloaded but not sure that's what I should be doing. I do have some basic bike fitness from commuting, touring and one weekly ride of 40-50 km, but the plan seems pretty high-level for someone like me.  Or is it okay for speed and strength work if I do a longer steady ride on Sundays?  All th tris I've planned this year are Olys; I plan on getting a trainer before next winter at the latest to prep for the HIM.

I haven't picked out a training plan yet. I used the BT Olympic plan last spring/summer; am thinking of modifying the half-ironman plan (cutting the bike amount) as the swim/run workouts seem too easy with the Oly plan. I'm in kind of a different situation than many beginners as I do have a strong background in two sports and zero in the other. I would literally rather run a marathon (and probably finish it faster) than re-assemble my bike after shipping!

Any bike-related training advice would be appreciated.

Karen 

2011-01-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3271036

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hi Rene'! Greetings from a fellow Oregonian. (Home is in Eugene when I'm not teaching in Vietnam. Long story, but's that's where the available job was when I was looking.)  Training in eastern Oregon sounds pretty hard core! Maybe we'll run into each other sometime at a summer race. Right now my big challenge is getting my butt into the....gasp...outdoor pool at the community center. Sure doesn't feel like the tropics anymore!
2011-01-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3270801

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Lisa- Glad you joined!

For the rest of you Lisa is my "star" athlete...she makes me look like an amazing coach

Im gonna try to not race her this year as I think it is time for her to beat me.....

lrunfit - 2011-01-01 8:28 AM Can I join?

NAME: lrunfit/ Lisa - I live in Waukesha WI

STORY: First off I grew up in California so yes I will complain about WI winter a lot!!!  
I started swimming when I was about 2...started racing at 6...started running in high school and kept swimming through college and running through college. Took a few years off of racing (running) after I had my twin girls.  Started back up again a couple years ago and found that at that time the half mary was my best distance.  Then in 2009 I started to race 5Ks and did my first marathon.  PR'd all of my races in 2009 and qualified for the Boston Marathon ALSO bought a bike. 2010 decided to try the whole triathlon thing and got hooked!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married with twin girls age 7 1/2 .  I work PT as a fitness  instructor and my husband works for Harley Davidson.

CURRENT TRAINING: I think Tammy knows the answer to this one ...but for everyone else...swim, bike, run but focus is on the bike so I can get that one down.  I just got my first tri bike.  Main tri this year is 70.3 Racine which will be my first 70.3

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I raced about 14-15 races..probably too many...podiumed almost all of them..ran a 5K series and took 1st overall....did a du series and took 1st AG overall...

2011 RACES:  Plan is 1 half mary (hope to PR 127:10 is my PR right now)..some sprints...Racine 70.3...another Marathon because I haven't done as well as I think I can...and possibly sign up for IM WI 2012

WEIGHTLOSS:
Hmmm....was pretty skinny when I only ran but biking has added some pounds.  Maybe lose about 4-5 just to get some speed back running wise.  I would really like to get some good core strength which since I teach fitness classes you would think would be easy but....

Even though I raced a lot last year and did well I still lack confidence on the bike and on the run.  I really need to get my race day nutrition down and am totally open to ideas on this.  I hope I can use some of my running and swimming knowledge to contribute to the group and I hope Tammy and the other members of the group can lend me some of their expertise.

2011-01-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3270806

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hi Jennifer!

Congrats on the HIM... thats great to sign up like that- I like a girl with some courage!

Is Big Sur your first marathon?

jlp1218 - 2011-01-01 8:30 AM Hello I would like to join your group!Name : jlp1218/ JenniferStory : I am avid cyclist mostly mountain biking and signed up for a HIM on a whim last year without really being a runner or swimmer or even doing tris. I was happy to finish in the MOP for the 30-34 age group! The run was beyond pitiful, I learned I need to run more miles per the BT montage - run often, run slow, and sometimes hard. I fell in love with the sport and the people. Family status : technically single but for all intensive purposes married to wonderful man. He supported me so much last year while training, never complained and kept the house clean! No kids but the four legged kind.Training : I work a ot of hours as project manager which sometimes limits my training. We have lots of stuff to do around the house. My tri training will be kicking back next week. I have been running over the last couple of months to build a better base and training for Big Sur. If ihaven't a choice I prefer to ride. Hate pools now that I have been in open water. Living in CT makes training outside right now hard but bucking up, I know others have it worse.2010 races : hyannis half Mary (2/27), Big Sur marathon (5/1), patriot him (6/18). In the lottery for the leadville 100 mtb race, until I know if I am in the second half of the season is up in there air. Possible for Miami man. All of this running because some friends and I are going to sign up for imlp in 2012.Weightloss goals : none.

2011-01-01 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3270923

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Now....Dave is my most difficult athlete...he likes to try to prove me wrong all the time, but I think he is learning

Glad you decided to join us!

oriolepwr - 2011-01-01 10:26 AM Would like to join as well!!!

NAME:  Dave (Oriolepwr) - Live in Gurnee, IL

STORY:  Many many years ago, was into cycling in a huge way.  After a bad crash hung up the bike and became sedentary.  Weight went up, was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc so was a heart attack waiting to happen. 

Have two daughters.  Wanted to teach them that being active is the way to live!  Began running so that they could see me being active.  Got hooked and eventually began racing 5k's (every weekend! I can be extreme).  After running my legs to bloody stumps and getting injured, I decided to join the local Gold's gym so I could swim to stay fit.  Walked into spin class one day out of curiosity. Music started and found myself spinning.  I found that I enjoyed it. 

After a long while of swimming/spinning/Running  I thought  hmmmm Triathlon?  What the heck I'm doing all 3 anyways. It can help keep me injury free for running.  

Took my old road bike back down from the rafters.  dusted off the cobwebs, saw dust, grime etc. started riding again.  My bike felt just like an old best friend that you don't see.  Didn't matter how much time had passed.  It felt awesome to be riding again.

Duathlon's, 1/2 marathons,  and then a couple of sprint triathlons, cycling races, tower climbs then followed.  Oh yes many more 5k's as well.
Along the way, my daughters got completely used to going to events which now seem very normal to them.   One day they asked to run with me. I never wanted to PUSH them into this.  I wanted them to WANT to.  I was a happy camper.   BUT not satisfied.

Did my first marathon (Chicago '09)  It was awesome!  Kept marathon training and probably cause I never gave my body any type of break, tore my achilles tendon.  Very depressed about that.  BUT kept swimming and then light spinning. Months of physical therapy and cursing ensued. Meanwhile  I had purchased a copy of "the distance"   as I was becoming more and more interested in triathlon.  After watching I decided I wanted to do Ironman-WI     became friends with Tammy! later I hired her to coach me which she does now.

For 2010 January-April 15th I could not run. I was able to ride though and  Once I was cleared to run again, ramped it up as fast as I could.  With Tammy's guidance in June did my first 70.3 in Kansas.  Not long after Racine 70.3 and a bunch of olympic distance tris.    In August my daughters (8 & 10) raced THEIR first triathlons!!!         September  Branson 70.3   then went back into marathon running mode.   Ran Chicago, then 4 weeks later ran NYC  and then finally the Dallas marathon.  This qualified me into the Marathon maniac club.    The plan for 2010 in my mind was to get my body used to the rigors of the training volume so that I could be better able to handle the full ironman distance.  

I do like to race ALOT  which as Tammy often points out to me, while its fun, it harms my performance.

In any case, I'm having just a great time with all of this.  And oh yes, am off diabetes meds (diet and exercise only, no cholesterol meds)   My girls are now on a swim team and continue to run/bike with me. 

After volunteering last year I signed up for IM-WI  for 2011  so this is my focus.   Along the way I will continue to be distracted by many race events of various kinds. 

I need focus to stay on track and not try to do too much. (though I probably won't listen I'm dumb that way)  I'm hoping to get much faster as I now have quite a bit of experience to draw from.

I REALLY need to work on my swim. this is by far my biggest weakness.

Weight:  doing ok here but not where I want to be at 181 right now and would like to get to 168-170.

thanks for reading! 

2011-01-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3270966

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Welcome to the group Sandi!!

I did PP as well a Racine last year so I can give you pointers there.  Which HIM did you do?

Do you have a bike trainer?

Sandals06 - 2011-01-01 10:58 AM Hi I am Sandals06/Sandi and would like to join your group.

I am married with one teenage son and live in Chicago. I have completed a couple sprint and oly distance triathlons, last year I completed my first 1/2 Ironman. Last year was all about surviving the distance....this year I really want to push myself.

T he past several months I have taken off from training but am starting the new year focusing on running and cycling classes. Cycling is my biggest weakness.

For 2011 I plan to race Racine 70.3 and Pleasant Prairie oly distance

2011-01-01 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3271036

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hi Renne~

Welcome to the group!

Are you training now?

I am guessing your winters are about as great as ours in WI....meh...

rmills - 2011-01-01 11:47 AM Hello.  I would like to join your group.  My name is Rene' (rmills).  I am 46 and have two kids, 16 and 19.  Currently the 19 year old is away at college and the 16 year old is deep into her basketball season.  I am a single mom and work as a teacher. I live in a rural area of eastern Oregon.  I have done 2 sprint triathlons spread out over 8 years.  I loved them but staying motivated after the triathlons, especially during the long cold winter, has been a problem.  We have 2 local triathlons here and there is no reason I cannot do the sprint, the other is an XTERRA.  I guess I am a beginner still but would like to just go for it again.  Thanks for taking taking time to help others. I appreciate it.
Rene'

2011-01-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3271099

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Your mom mentioned me??   Whos your mom?!!

I think you will be fine with your biking...as long as you can get out that one day a week for a longer ride.  You are only doing olympics this year so if you can get a few 30-40 milers in before them you should be OK.  Use the stationary or whatever you are comfprtable on for the other stuff.  dO you ever train by HR?  I train with HR and watts....so if you think the bike with the watts is accurate or at least consistent you could use that.  I can help you figure out some training zones to use.  You can do all sorts of intervals and fun stuff inside

As for what plan to use....well that is up to you.  If you think some are to easy then change them a  bit... just be sure you are getting in the recovery weeks.  Recovery is just as important as hard training!

I think its amazing what you are doing in the situation you are in!!

Hot Runner - 2011-01-01 12:35 PM Hi Tammy,

Amazed and appreciative that you are taking the time to mentor while training and raising triplets! I think my mom mentioned something about you!  I don't get much US TV, so am kind of out of the loop. Giving you a little more info on my slightly bizarre training set-up. I won't go into the swim/bike situation (not ideal, but doable) as I think I have that under control....

I am totally at the ground floor with biking. Bought a road bike (Trek 1.2 WSD--about all I could afford) in Singapore last October but rode very little while training for the half-marathon as it aggravates some hamstring tightness that bothers me when I run higher mileage. Also couldn't find bike shoes that fit, so didn't bother with the pedal/shoe thing until last week, when I bought them in the US.  Now will take them back to Vietnam (where the bike is) and try to figure it out.

The deal with biking: I can basically only ride on the road on Sunday AM. This is pretty non-negotiable due to traffic.  On Sunday AM, a local industrial park closes its roads to vehicles and local cyclists use it for training. I access it via a 5 km "ride of terror" down a parkway with chaotic third world traffic. (I don't dare clip in until I get to the park.) There is also a bridge that cyclists use for "hill training"--otherwise no hills in Saigon. Traffic-wise, it's doable from about 6 to 7:30 AM on weekends. Bricks are tough as it will be in the 90's by the time the run starts, but I do them sometimes. Saturday is normally my quality run day, and one of the three days I can access a pool, so I probably wouldn't bike then unless it was a triple. (Yikes!) I guess question number one would be, if one can hit the road only one day per week, what's the best use of that time?

Aside from that day, I'm stuck with stationary. Right now I don't have a trainer. I can't buy one in Vietnam, and can't afford to haul one back from the US.  I do have a "monster" bequeathed to me by a colleague--it's a recumbent stationary bike. It has a power meter, which is about the only thing on the display panel which works.  Is there any benefit to doing workouts on this thing, or should I be trying to get a trainer for my Trek (maybe on next Singapore trip in Feb.) or joining a health club? I have the "Jorge off-season plan" downloaded but not sure that's what I should be doing. I do have some basic bike fitness from commuting, touring and one weekly ride of 40-50 km, but the plan seems pretty high-level for someone like me.  Or is it okay for speed and strength work if I do a longer steady ride on Sundays?  All th tris I've planned this year are Olys; I plan on getting a trainer before next winter at the latest to prep for the HIM.

I haven't picked out a training plan yet. I used the BT Olympic plan last spring/summer; am thinking of modifying the half-ironman plan (cutting the bike amount) as the swim/run workouts seem too easy with the Oly plan. I'm in kind of a different situation than many beginners as I do have a strong background in two sports and zero in the other. I would literally rather run a marathon (and probably finish it faster) than re-assemble my bike after shipping!

Any bike-related training advice would be appreciated.

Karen 

2011-01-01 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Hey everyone & Happy New Year!  I'm really excited to be part of this group and it's been fun reading everyone's profiles and goals.  I love that so many are working toward the same races. 

Tammy - You asked about my work hours.  It's really variable from week to week and it isn't always quite as bad as it sounds.  We work a rotating schedule so I have a full week off every three weeks - good time to recuperate and train!  During my work weeks, I'm there anwhere between 50 to 75 hours per week.   The overnight hours (night shift goes from 5pm to at least 8am) and the flip-flopping from days to overnights are what really kill me. 

I would, at some point, love to do some group rides but  I need to make sure I won't be holding anyone back.  I often feel like the lumbering ox in a field of gazelles !

Not sure how these discussion topics evolve but at some point I'd love to hear about saddle opinions, indoor trainers, and training with power.

Off for a little trainer ride & treadmill before work! 
2011-01-01 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3271215

New user

tripletmom01 - 2011-01-01 3:00 PM

Hi Jennifer!

Congrats on the HIM... thats great to sign up like that- I like a girl with some courage!

Is Big Sur your first marathon?

More like nutty! The Big Sur will be my first marathon. i figured there is no other back drop like the Pacific Ocean. Just got back in from 4 mile snow shoe run. Training plan called for 8 miles today but that wasn't happening in the slush. I will have to do it tomorrow instead I have to say I am already getting lost in the posts of who's who. I will need to create a cheat sheet
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tripletmom01 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 14