BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-09 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE
NAME: momo / Maurice

STORY: I was always an athlete.. I have always enjoyed the challenge of sports. I went to see my Brother participate in the HIM in Orlando Florida in 06. I saw a blind guy pass by with a spotter, then I asked myself what's my excuse.. Since then I become more active in training, racing, and a healthier lifestyle.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single..

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm working on strength while doing the other major points of the Triathlon.. My season started late because of work and injury. I'm trying to train smarter.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I had to overcome an injury.. But once healed, the year ended with several running races.

2009 RACES: I have plans to run 2 half marathons (completed one), 2 sprint triathlons(completed one), and maybe a HIM. . and some of the races I did last year.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've learned that patience is the way to successful weightloss. Since I've been training, and becoming a fitness coach. I've learned some key things, that I'm willing to share with others in there pursuit for a healthier lifestyle.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I was a beginner athlete before, I understand and remember what is was like initially to get started. I want to be a friend and encourager as well a mentor. I work with people in people in my gym all the time with training, nutrition and just accountability. I really enjoy it. It's fun.

Edited by momo 2009-04-18 9:29 PM

2009-04-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2073413

User image

ivy, va
Subject: RE: MOMO - OPEN
Hey Mo!  I would love to be a part of Team Mo.  Your coaching/advice/suggestions were invaluable to my completing my first tri - just 9 days ago!  Yea me!!

My doc has advised I pull back on the swimming for the time being, so for now I'm going to concentrate on bike & run.  I'll be working on strength training as well.  My goals are to increase my endurance, speed and technique.  I also need to work on my mental confidence and nutritional habits.

I look forward to working with you!

- Diane (wisewilma)

Edited by wisewilma 2009-04-13 5:06 PM
2009-04-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2081789

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2009-04-13 5:59 PM

Hey Mo!  I would love to be a part of Team Mo.  Your coaching/advice/suggestions were invaluable to my completing my first tri - just 9 days ago!  Yea me!!

My doc has advised I pull back on the swimming for the time being, so for now I'm going to concentrate on bike & run.  I'll be working on strength training as well.  My goals are to increase my endurance, speed and technique.  I also need to work on my mental confidence and nutritional habits.

I look forward to working with you!

- Diane (wisewilma)

i'd be honored to have you on my team.. again..

welcome back..
2009-04-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2082207

User image

ivy, va
Thanks!

As of now my plan is to shorter distances during the week and longer distances on weekends.  I'd like to incorporate interval training.  Would it be best to do intervals on the longer or shorter workouts?  Any thoughts on how often should intervals be part of my training?
2009-04-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2082997

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2009-04-14 10:23 AM

Thanks!

As of now my plan is to shorter distances during the week and longer distances on weekends.  I'd like to incorporate interval training.  Would it be best to do intervals on the longer or shorter workouts?  Any thoughts on how often should intervals be part of my training?

your interval training... should be in accordance to the race you want to race... if you are running a long race in the near future.. for now train for the race you plan on running..

as for interval training... i would say twice at the most. i just read an article in runners world called Trick yourself faster... gave some great workout ideas interval training (speed work).. to help speed and build your base. if you have a chance check it out.

depends on how much you run, here's an example.
mon: 3 miles moderate pace
tues: interval training 4 to 10 400m (1 mile pace) 2 min recovery)
wed: 2 mile
thurs: off
fri: crosstrain (or interval train 6 to 12 400m (1 mile pace) 2 min recovery)
Sat: 3 mile run steady pace
sun 3 mile easy

do you have plans of doing any running races...? or a 1/2 mary?

Edited by momo 2009-04-14 5:07 PM
2009-04-14 8:09 PM

Hey, Mo.
  I'd like to become a member of your group if it's ok.  I'm just getting into triathlons.  When I mean just getting into, I mean training for my first one.  My goals are relatively simple and straightforward.  I first and foremost want to do this as a means of losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle.  I have 5-5k's I plan on running in this summer leading up to my first Sprint Tri at the end of July.  I'm not as concerned with my times right now as I am just finishing.  Right now staying motivated seems to be my biggest hurdle, but I'm trying to take it one day at a time.
  I'm married with a 6 yr old daughter.  I live in the Midwest and the weather is finally getting nice enough where training outside is enjoyable.
  I look forward to learning from you as well as others on this site.

2009-04-14 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2084850

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
brm75 - 2009-04-14 9:09 PM

Hey, Mo.
  I'd like to become a member of your group if it's ok.  I'm just getting into triathlons.  When I mean just getting into, I mean training for my first one.  My goals are relatively simple and straightforward.  I first and foremost want to do this as a means of losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle.  I have 5-5k's I plan on running in this summer leading up to my first Sprint Tri at the end of July.  I'm not as concerned with my times right now as I am just finishing.  Right now staying motivated seems to be my biggest hurdle, but I'm trying to take it one day at a time.
  I'm married with a 6 yr old daughter.  I live in the Midwest and the weather is finally getting nice enough where training outside is enjoyable.
  I look forward to learning from you as well as others on this site.

of course you can be a member of my group.. i'd be glad to have you...
2009-04-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2084500

User image

ivy, va
Thanks for the advice and the info on the article.  I will check it out.

I was hoping to tri Breezy Point next, but "no swimming" for now is forcing me to change directions a bit.  Need to do a bit of research on other options. 

I'm doing an SPCA benefit 5k run with dogs in June at a local park.  Cool   In September I have a 4-Miler.  I'd like to push myself a bit more.  I'll see what I can find to pique my interest!

What about you?  How're you feeling about Breezy Point?  How's your training going?
2009-04-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2084850

User image

ivy, va
Hi brm75!

Wow - 5 5ks this summer is an ambitious challenge.  Good for you!  Your first tri will be a blast!  Congrats on going for it!

Yeah, motivation and scheduling can be tough.  But once you make training a priority and figure out what works for you & your family, your lives will benefit in so many ways.
2009-04-15 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2085477

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2009-04-15 9:11 AM

Thanks for the advice and the info on the article.  I will check it out.

I was hoping to tri Breezy Point next, but "no swimming" for now is forcing me to change directions a bit.  Need to do a bit of research on other options. 

I'm doing an SPCA benefit 5k run with dogs in June at a local park.  Cool   In September I have a 4-Miler.  I'd like to push myself a bit more.  I'll see what I can find to pique my interest!

What about you?  How're you feeling about Breezy Point?  How's your training going?

meant to ask why can't you swim..? is it because the bandaid you had on your face at tri?

Everythings in the air at the moment.. i have 2 big events back to back come up (actually starting one now).. 13 hours shifts for the next month... this is my last weekend off until memorial day weekend.. whoooo hoooo.. i want to do breezy, not sure if ill be trained up for it though..

as for training.. getting back to work.. feeling pretty good.. working out all the cob webs... being sick takes it out of you... getting stronger by the day.. everything is tentative..

i may register for breezy at the end of the week.. depends on how things go this week.
2009-04-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2085504

Hi wisewilma,
  Yeah, I have 5-5k's that I really want to run in.  They are spread over the summer and into Fall.  Not quite 1 a month.  The first one is in 5 wks.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

I've already talked with our local rec center/swim complex and they offer one on one instructional swim lessons.  I think I'll take them up on it sometime end of April-1st of May.  I can swim, just not efficiently...to say the least.

Finding time to fit it all it seems to be the issue...as with anything, just aren't enough hours in a day...
  Nice meeting you...

2009-04-15 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2086256

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
brm75 - 2009-04-15 1:19 PM

Hi wisewilma,
  Yeah, I have 5-5k's that I really want to run in.  They are spread over the summer and into Fall.  Not quite 1 a month.  The first one is in 5 wks.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

I've already talked with our local rec center/swim complex and they offer one on one instructional swim lessons.  I think I'll take them up on it sometime end of April-1st of May.  I can swim, just not efficiently...to say the least.

Finding time to fit it all it seems to be the issue...as with anything, just aren't enough hours in a day...
  Nice meeting you...

I love to be apart your journey (training, racing, etc).. balancing life and training is a difficult task.. but it is doable.. just takes some planning. be patience... i didn't see any training in your logs.. if you have been training.. log your workouts.. this will help me help you.. i post here, but i'll blog you individually daily.. commenting and recommending stuff..

a book recommendation is Total Immersion.. great book. gives you workout drills to help with the things talked about in the book. check it out..
2009-04-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2086256

User image

ivy, va
You're smart to take a swim lesson.  I discovered a local indoor pool in Jan..  I showed up for my first lap training swim wearing a designer bikini and a huge beach towel draped over my arm.  The lifeguards spotted me as a newbie (heh!) took pity on me & gave me a few pointers.

I then coughed, choked & sputtered my way from one end of the pool to the other.  Breathing like a horse I tried to swim back.  After a few more feeble attempts back & forth (including some with a kickboard a kind soul tossed to/at me!) I called it a day.  But...I went back!  Fellow BT'ers gave me lots of advice.  And now I'm properly attired and swimming up to 2,000 yards/session.  Amazing.  As Mo often reminds me:  keep tri-ing!

One seemingly small, but very effective motivation tip/trick:  lay out your workout clothes the night before.  It really helps.
2009-04-15 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2086110

User image

ivy, va
Yes.  I also have a wound on my shoulder.  Had a physical last week (excellent results!).  My doc cringed when she saw my shoulder.  A combo of the pool chems. & swimming arm motion has really done a number on me.  She read me the riot act & advised me to avoid the pool for now.  I have a follow-up in mid-May.  sigh.

Mo, in the past month you've dealt w significant climate changes, time zone changes, extended air travel, hotels, foreign foods, training, coaching Team Mo, run a 1/2 marathon, completed a sprint tri ... much of which was done while battling a wicked illness.  Yikes!  And now you'll have 13 hour shifts and working weekends?!?  Whoa.

I really admire your determination & perseverance.  You are awesome!  You're Mo!!
2009-04-16 4:44 AM
in reply to: #2086996

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2009-04-15 4:21 PM

Yes.  I also have a wound on my shoulder.  Had a physical last week (excellent results!).  My doc cringed when she saw my shoulder.  A combo of the pool chems. & swimming arm motion has really done a number on me.  She read me the riot act & advised me to avoid the pool for now.  I have a follow-up in mid-May.  sigh.

Mo, in the past month you've dealt w significant climate changes, time zone changes, extended air travel, hotels, foreign foods, training, coaching Team Mo, run a 1/2 marathon, completed a sprint tri ... much of which was done while battling a wicked illness.  Yikes!  And now you'll have 13 hour shifts and working weekends?!?  Whoa.

I really admire your determination & perseverance.  You are awesome!  You're Mo!!

i hadn't thought of it that way.. crazy huh!.. Thanks...
2009-04-16 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2086852

Hey Mo,
  I didn't realize these training logs were avail.  Pretty cool!!  I logged yesterday's workout, and I'll try to stay up on logging them.  There is so much to read/view on this website, guess I hadn't run across that yet...Thanks.
  I had someone else recommend the same book to me, I'll have to check it out...Thanks!!

Purchased a new road bike yesterday, well, new to me...I've always had mountain bikes.  I found a 2006 Fuji Ace someone was selling for only $300 so I snatched it.  It's an entry level road bike, but it will have to make due for now.  Can't wait to log some miles on it...

2009-04-16 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2088144

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
brm75 - 2009-04-16 7:54 AM

Hey Mo,
  I didn't realize these training logs were avail.  Pretty cool!!  I logged yesterday's workout, and I'll try to stay up on logging them.  There is so much to read/view on this website, guess I hadn't run across that yet...Thanks.
  I had someone else recommend the same book to me, I'll have to check it out...Thanks!!

Purchased a new road bike yesterday, well, new to me...I've always had mountain bikes.  I found a 2006 Fuji Ace someone was selling for only $300 so I snatched it.  It's an entry level road bike, but it will have to make due for now.  Can't wait to log some miles on it...

its not the bike its the rider...(great deal on the bike). Let me know if you need help outfitting it.. (pedals, tri shorts, shoes, saddles, and most of all computers) the training logs are cool.. very helpful in training.. you get see what you are doing. my people need to see results and the graphs and workout summary helps people see the progress..

total immersion was a great book.. it help me a lot with swimming. i didn't get a coach, all self taught..
2009-04-16 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi,

I'm interested in joining Team Mo if you're still accepting mentees.  This summer will be my first attempt to do triathlons.  I'm currently planning on a sprint in July and an Olympic in August, both here in Colorado.  Also doing the Chicago Marathon in October. 

I have about a million questions regarding training, equipment, transition preparedness, and  so forth.  If I may, I'll throw out the most burning of these questions right now:  I'm using a BT 20-week training plan for my Olympic length race, and it focuses entirely on volume.  Since I just sort of jumped in with both feet, I have no idea if this was a good choice or not.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!
2009-04-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2088864

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
gavisk - 2009-04-16 12:16 PM

Hi,

I'm interested in joining Team Mo if you're still accepting mentees.  This summer will be my first attempt to do triathlons.  I'm currently planning on a sprint in July and an Olympic in August, both here in Colorado.  Also doing the Chicago Marathon in October. 

I have about a million questions regarding training, equipment, transition preparedness, and  so forth.  If I may, I'll throw out the most burning of these questions right now:  I'm using a BT 20-week training plan for my Olympic length race, and it focuses entirely on volume.  Since I just sort of jumped in with both feet, I have no idea if this was a good choice or not.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

First off, Welcome to the group...

An Olympic is distance is doable for a first race. But since you asked for my thoughts.. I make the Olympic my "A" race.. ("A" race is the race your training is geared too). Then I would find a "B" race ("B" race is a race that you use to guage were you are in training..) For you this will give you some experience and some knowledge of what to expect in a tri. So try to find a race (sprint tri) that before the Olympic. The 20 week plan i hear is very good.. I think some of my mentorees (Jan to Mar) used it ..

I'm here for any questions you may have.. Don't forget to log your workouts.. this helps me help you..
2009-04-16 3:49 PM

Hey Mo,

I'd like to join if you still have room.  I'll update this post though when I'm not at work.
2009-04-16 4:04 PM

Regular
I would love to join team Mo if it is still open.

Name: aswimr/ adam

My history...I was a competitive swimmer from grade school through high school. Passed on swim scholarships to stay close to family. After college I was a fulltime swim coach for 5 years. Decided to go back to school and I am now in finance for a small office furniture comapny.

I started working out last summer after stepping on the scale on July 4th 2008 and was at 279! 100 pounds heavier than my senior year in high school. Since then I have been riding pretty consistently and added swimming and running in February. I am at 222 today and hope to get to 205 by July 4th of this year.

Race goals: Finish under 1:45 at my first sprint event (400yd,15.3,3.1) this weekend
Finish under 1:30 at a sprint tri in Indy in July.
Finish an OLY in September.

I update my logs religously so you can see what I am up to. My biggest challenege is the run portion. Both staying focused for the entire run, and logging the volume at the "right" pace to improve. The second biggest challenge I have encountered is the nutrion portion. Since I have been losing weight quickly, I have struggled with getting the right amount and right type of calories in. I had been operating at less than 1500 calories a day for a long time and was bonking at work, so now I am trying to hold about 2200.

-Adam

2009-04-16 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2089754

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
aswimr - 2009-04-16 5:04 PM

I would love to join team Mo if it is still open.

Name: aswimr/ adam

My history...I was a competitive swimmer from grade school through high school. Passed on swim scholarships to stay close to family. After college I was a fulltime swim coach for 5 years. Decided to go back to school and I am now in finance for a small office furniture comapny.

I started working out last summer after stepping on the scale on July 4th 2008 and was at 279! 100 pounds heavier than my senior year in high school. Since then I have been riding pretty consistently and added swimming and running in February. I am at 222 today and hope to get to 205 by July 4th of this year.

Race goals: Finish under 1:45 at my first sprint event (400yd,15.3,3.1) this weekend
Finish under 1:30 at a sprint tri in Indy in July.
Finish an OLY in September.

I update my logs religously so you can see what I am up to. My biggest challenege is the run portion. Both staying focused for the entire run, and logging the volume at the "right" pace to improve. The second biggest challenge I have encountered is the nutrion portion. Since I have been losing weight quickly, I have struggled with getting the right amount and right type of calories in. I had been operating at less than 1500 calories a day for a long time and was bonking at work, so now I am trying to hold about 2200.

-Adam

sure bro, welcome to the group.

what are some running goals you have? have you done any 5k's? or 10k? nutrition is always tough.. when in full training mode.. its hard to stay under 3500 calories..

i will help you best i can.. with everything
2009-04-16 6:27 PM

Regular
I did a 5k in mid March, my first ever. Took me about 33 minutes on a really hilly windy course. I have improved a lot, as I can do 3.5 miles in under 31:30. I would really like to be able to hold under 8 minutes per mile fa 10k be the time I do my OLY in September.
2009-04-16 7:57 PM

Hey Mo, still have room?

My background is very similar to aswimr's.  I've always played sports, starting with t-ball when I was 5.  I started competitively swimming when I was 12.  I was honored with a spot on the all-state swim team in high school.  After highschool I joined the Marines and served 5 years, 2002 - 2007.  When I got out I went to college for a couple years and now I'm working up in MD.

I packed on the pounds in college BIG TIME!  While in college I tried a couple of times to not be sedentary but that is hard to do when you live in the library.  I reached my breaking point a couple of weeks ago when I tipped the scale at 245.  I was very disappointed that I had let myself go so much.  So I decided to commit myself to a triathlon.

So, all in all, I have a strong swimming background, moderately strong running background, and no biking experience.  I've never even ridden a road bike.  Right now I am having a lot of trouble with my running because of my shins.  I'm trying to ease myself back into running, I have left some notes on my training log.  I just started a "real" training regimen this week though.

Right now I am trying to follow the Sprint - 3x Balanced - 16 Week program but am having to cut back on the running due to injury.  I think what I will be doing is a lot of elliptical until it fully heals.

I get my road bike next week, so far I've been riding my mountain bike around to build endurance.
2009-04-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2090226

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
aqparks - 2009-04-16 8:57 PM

Hey Mo, still have room?

My background is very similar to aswimr's.  I've always played sports, starting with t-ball when I was 5.  I started competitively swimming when I was 12.  I was honored with a spot on the all-state swim team in high school.  After highschool I joined the Marines and served 5 years, 2002 - 2007.  When I got out I went to college for a couple years and now I'm working up in MD.

I packed on the pounds in college BIG TIME!  While in college I tried a couple of times to not be sedentary but that is hard to do when you live in the library.  I reached my breaking point a couple of weeks ago when I tipped the scale at 245.  I was very disappointed that I had let myself go so much.  So I decided to commit myself to a triathlon.

So, all in all, I have a strong swimming background, moderately strong running background, and no biking experience.  I've never even ridden a road bike.  Right now I am having a lot of trouble with my running because of my shins.  I'm trying to ease myself back into running, I have left some notes on my training log.  I just started a "real" training regimen this week though.

Right now I am trying to follow the Sprint - 3x Balanced - 16 Week program but am having to cut back on the running due to injury.  I think what I will be doing is a lot of elliptical until it fully heals.

I get my road bike next week, so far I've been riding my mountain bike around to build endurance.

yeah, i still have room... welcome to the group..

as for shins.. have you been properly fitted for shoes(do overpronate or underpronate(sipinate)? how long have you had the shoes? if you buy the wrong shoes that's one of the problems that will occur... then some knee and back pain.. Find a local running store.. (maybe you have done this already...) get them to watch you run.. to get the right shoes... very important in training.. to have the right equipment. shoe replacement shoe happen like every 6 mons. you are big like me... i can squeeze maybe 270 to 300 miles out of a pair of shoes.

riding a road bike is different than mountain bike.. but there are things that shift nicely.. like big control... it will take a minute to find your place on a road bike.. you will be fine.

again welcome to the group.. can't wait to start working with you. and the others.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  

of 16