General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Nutrition Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 10:55 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Half Iron Nutrition Plan

Help!

I am doing my first half-iron on Oct. 5 in Austin, Texas. This means it will be HOT. I am a little concerned about proper hydration/nutrition on the bike. I wrote out a nutrition plan where I will eat 200 calories every hour on the bike and drink 10 ounces every 15 minutes (alternating between an electrolyte mix and regular water. But how do I carry all these calories with me? I am also considering riding with a hydration pack in addition to my aero-bar bottle and cage bottle. I really don't want to pull over for the bottle hand-ups, not that I want to go super fast, I just know it is always a crash waiting to happen with so many people at a station at the same time. Any suggestions?

2008-08-21 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1617939

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Half Iron Nutrition Plan
That seems like overkill on drinking. 40oz of fluid per hour? Also you are consuming 200 calories per hour does that include what you ingest through your electrolyte drink mix?

Edited by aarondavidson 2008-08-21 6:25 AM
2008-08-21 8:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-21 8:17 AM

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Half Iron Nutrition Plan
I definitely can drink 40 ounces per hour when it's HOT! I did a sweat rate test to make sure I wasn't over drinking, and I was not.

I have a "fuel box", which is a little case that velcros to my top tube. It can hold maybe 6 Gu's, just right for a 1/2 iron race. Sometimes, I also stuff things into my tri top bra. Tho, the sharp corners of a Gu packet can cause major chaffing if left there too long.

I use NUUN for electrolytes. It's a small tablet that you drop into your water and it dissolves quickly. It has no calories, just electrolytes. I use 1/2 tablet per 20 ounce water. I have trained using 1/2 NUUN per 20 ounces of water, and Gu every 30 minutes all season, and this feels right for me. I think I am actually drinking less water now that I am using electrolytes. I need to do another sweat rate test. (I used to just use water with a pinch of salt added, and Gu. This left me craving salt for days after long workouts).

I have an aerobottle, and two bottle cages. That will allow me to carry 60 ounces of water. I'll have those pre-laced with the NUUN. I'll carry a few extra NUUN's in my fuel box, in case I need to refill my water. I don't mind going thru the water bottle handoffs.

This is my strategy, which I tested in a recent olympic race. I have yet to finish a 1/2 iron feeling "strong", so take this with a grain of salt!

Nutrition:

* dinner night before early at 4:30. pasta and small chicken breast.
* whey smoothie at bedtime
* 3 hours before race: peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread
* 45 minutes before:Gu
* Right Before: Gu
* T1:Boost. Go easy on bike for 20 minutes to let this settle.
* Every 30 minutes on bike: Gu
* T2: Boost
* Every 30 minutes on run: Gu, last one Expresso flavor with 2x caffeine

Hydration:

* 20 ounces of water in my aero bottle with 1/2 NUUN tablet
* 20 ounces of water in both bike cages with 1/2 NUUN tablet, to refill aero bottle
* spare NUUN tablets, already split in half, in case I need more water at the hand-off
* 20 ounces of water with 1/2 NUUN tablet in my palm holder for the run.
* Carry a tube of NUUN with tablets already split in half in my left hand, to refill water on the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Nutrition Plan Rss Feed