United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 8s
Overall Rank = 59/132
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Event warmup:

Ran a bit and rode my bike some. There wasn't any warm up time for the swim. The race organizers wouldn't let the athletes in the water to warm up.

Times are estimated.
Swim
  • 11m 9s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

I elected not to wear a wetsuit. The water temperature was 74. I figured any time saved on the swim would be lost in transition pealing the wetsuit off. There were some people with shorty wetsuits. The wave starts were by age groups. If I don't have a good warmup then my swimming sucks; even in the pool. The first 250 meters I struggled to find a rhythm and to get my breathing working. After rounding the bouy, I got into a good rhythm and I think the second 250 was faster than the first.
What would you do differently?:

Go out slower at the start in order to warm up. Build speed through the race to the finish.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

No problems here. Decided to not wear socks since this was a sprint. No socks worked OK for the bike.

Practice the "shoes on the bike" technique. In sprint tri's, all of these time saving techniques seem to make a difference.
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 12.13 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went great. I felt strong. Kept HR at LT ~160. I wasn't expecting the long hill. This is an example of where pre riding the course is beneficial. Had I known how long the hill was and how steep I may have gone at it harder. Overall it was a good ride. Good practice for the BSL HIM.

Not much, maybe ride harder...it's a sprint.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This transition went OK.

Need to practice "riding feet on top of shoes" and "jumping off moving bike". This would save a few seconds in transition. Didn't bother putting on socks. Scrafed down a GU and headed out.
Run
  • 25m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The transition to the run was great. I didn't even feel like I had been riding a bike. I grabbed some water to wash down the GU at the aid station just out side of the timing mat. Kept my HR in Z3 for the first mile. At this point an athlete with '44' (my age group) on his calf passed me. Not wearing socks probably wasn't a good idea. Like they say 'Race like you train'. I could feel the blisters developing on my feet. It wasn't extremely uncomfortable and if I had trained without socks then I would have been OK. After Mr. '44' passed me, I made my new goal to stay in contact with him and at some point pass him. At the half way point I picked up the pace. HR climbed into z4. I started gaining on '44'. With 1/2 mile left I tried to make a move to pass him. HR was now in z5 ~170. Well, I couldn't pass him. I finished about 5 seconds behind him.

Run harder....it's a sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank water. Ate ice cream!!! This is afterall the Milkman Triathlon. The bins with iced down water also had bottles of milk and chocolate milk. I'm not sure I could stomach milk after a race.

I was looking at the race results and noticed a name I recognized from BT - JoeM. So I remembered his race number and started looking for someone with that number. And I found him. Joe and I talked for a long time about everything triathlon. We watched the awards ceremony. It was great meeting a fellow BT'er.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Open water swimming - go out slower and build to the finish. Run harder, it's a sprint and only 5k.

Event comments:

This was the 21st year for the Milkman Triathlon. The venue and the course are great. The race was well organized. The tophies given out are porcelin milk jugs. A great event and I would highly recommend it.

Last updated: 2005-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:09 | 500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 0/132
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Out and back course. The course was marked with a rope and bouys every 10 meters. Swam on the right side of the rope going out and left side of the rope coming in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:29 | 12.13 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with one long hill. Turn around was at the top of the hill. Beautiful day for a bike ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:35 | 03.1 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/16
Course: Flat loop on pavement and trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Milkman Triathlon

2005-06-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: #168832

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Milkman Triathlon
You did great!!

You fly on the bike...and do well on the run even with blisters forming.

Sounds like a fun race. My husband's favorite State is NM and he always talks about moving there.

Keep up the terrific work!
2005-06-05 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Twickenham, London
Great Race!
And yes you're right.. "race like you train"... I always use socks, wether is a sprint, an oly or a long distance.... you loose time but you don't earn blisters
and nice effort to beat the other "44"
2005-06-06 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Excellent race!  Your times for all 3 disciplines were really good.  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milkman Triathlon Rss Feed