General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official 2014 Weihai, China Long Course Championships Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-21 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: Official 2014 Weihai, China Long Course Championships Thread
There have been a few misc threads about the LC championships so I thought we could leverage all the ideas and questions into one to help be a reference point.

If you have any information that can be posted to the thread that will help please feel free! Hopefully everyone has received the Team USA newsletter at this point with link information for our pages but I'll add some here just in case.

USAT link - http://www.usatriathlon.org/audience/team-usa/weihai-2014/contents....

I found this with a google search and it looks like they will also be posting information as it comes out.
Weihai Triathlon - http://www.weihaitriathlon.com/2013/AN/

I've also started a facebook group as not everyone is good with forums and vice versa.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272695826220853/

Fund raising ideas?
Family members attending?
Vacation plans while you're there?

2014-01-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Official 2014 Weihai, China Long Course Championships Thread

This is a great idea.  Having a thread for those who are looking at going and helping everyone keep up with the information.  Thanks for posting the Weihai Triathlon website and also for creating the Facebook group.  

It will just be me traveling for this race.  My wife will be staying home with our daughters.  I wish I could afford for all of us to go but I am working on just being able to afford myself to go. 

My thoughts for fundraising have been mainly going to my work.  I also have a few friends who own their own business and restaurants.  I have started talking to them about sponsor ships or just making a donation to the cause.  Another idea I had was; I have all the equipment for doing professional detailing on cars.  I keep up with mine and have done a few of immediate family members.  I was going to detail cars on the weekends for a small fee plus any additional donation the person would like to give.  Anyone have any others?

Peter

P.S.   Everything I have read says it will be a NON-DRAFT LEGAL race...is that what everyone else is finding.

Edited by TriGuy05 2014-01-21 12:37 PM
2014-01-22 6:48 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Glad to see this thread! I joined the Facebook group too.

I am 95% sure we are going, but I really want to see more info from USAT and ITU before we buy plane tickets or commit to anything else...

Fund raising ideas?
No idea… need to figure this out…

Family members attending?
My husband will be with me. No kids yet, so we're hoping we can both go.

We're leaning towards trying to stay for 2 weeks - arriving the Sunday before the race and then staying for a week after. We're thinking Beijing for 3ish days, then Weihai for the race and stuff (once I see the schedule we'll know for sure), then travel around a few other places for the week after (Sept 27 is our anniversary).
2014-01-23 8:02 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by TriGuy05

My thoughts for fundraising have been mainly going to my work.  I also have a few friends who own their own business and restaurants.  I have started talking to them about sponsor ships or just making a donation to the cause.  Another idea I had was; I have all the equipment for doing professional detailing on cars.  I keep up with mine and have done a few of immediate family members.  I was going to detail cars on the weekends for a small fee plus any additional donation the person would like to give.  Anyone have any others?

Peter

P.S.   Everything I have read says it will be a NON-DRAFT LEGAL race...is that what everyone else is finding.

I haven't seen anything about the drafting rules and not really worried about it. Small detail when trying to manage a trip half way across the world.

As for fund raising ideas I've got a few that I'd be happy to share and have worked for me in the past when doing fundraising for TNT events.
1. Donations for Silent auction. One evening I raised a little over $3,000 doing this. $10 cover to get in and had about 40 items to auction off. Get friends and family to pump it up on facebook, twitter, through your community and it works great. Pick a bar/restaurant where general public can wander in and participate. We had a number of random people just want to be part of it that were there drinking. They paid the $10 and the profit from their drinks we got to keep as well.

2. Your side job. Whatever money you earn from that put away. I do this with my computer business.

3. Know someone that can cook? I have some friends with a commercial kitchen in their (very large) house and we plan on doing a dinner there. Get the food donated from a local grocery store and 'sell' tickets to it for $25/head. You'd be surprised how many people will buy a ticket for a fully catered meal that night. Make it an event...have a few things to give away...nothing crazy but a couple bottles of wine, etc.

Originally posted by hotalinge
We're leaning towards trying to stay for 2 weeks - arriving the Sunday before the race and then staying for a week after. We're thinking Beijing for 3ish days, then Weihai for the race and stuff (once I see the schedule we'll know for sure), then travel around a few other places for the week after (Sept 27 is our anniversary).

Same. Figure 2 weeks or so...how many times do you get the chance to hit up China!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official 2014 Weihai, China Long Course Championships Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Official Tour Of Sufferlandria Thread 2014 Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by cornick
Views: 13450 Posts: 289

2014-02-11 12:24 PM jonD81

Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 1219 Posts: 5

2014-03-02 1:02 PM midwesttrimom

2013 or 2014 70.3 World Championships?

Started by jfolks259
Views: 1150 Posts: 5

2013-06-18 1:35 PM jfolks259

Help on BQ-ing in 2014 with triathlon

Started by Acee
Views: 2254 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 2:21 AM AdventureBear

my first long course - Australian Long Course Champs

Started by Kestrel
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2005-03-01 7:32 PM Kestrel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.