BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-17 6:54 AM

User image

Tyler,
Subject: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!

SUBJECT LINE = John Doe's Group - OPEN

NAME: triritter/William Ritter
STORY: I've always been athletic early on starting with little league basketball. I wasn't very good but had the determination to be good early on. I would wake up in the early morning summers and do drills for basketball, eventually in the 6th grade my P.E. teacher would make us do laps around a field, I would always start last and try to catch everybody and finish first. I was shy however and did not race with a running team until the 8th grade. Actually I was the 8th grade team but I ran with the highschoolers. But anyways, I was plagued by injuries my junior/senior year so the dream of running for a big school was out. I ran at Divsion 3 East Texas Baptist University my first 3 year and was runner of the year for the team all three years and was 2nd Team All Conference in 2002 and 1st Team All Conference in 2003-2004,2006. However at the end of my junior I was tired of running for ETBU, because of the lack of discipline/determination the team had. My philosophy is I rather be on a team that literally sucks but has passion and shows up for practice than be on a team with natural talent but lacks the drive to show up to practice, so I transferred to the University of Texas at Tyler for my last 2 senior years I sat out of cross country in 2005 to save a year of elgibility and ran in 2006. I went from being the #1 runner at ETBU to barely being the the #5 runner at UT Tyler. We were stacked with fast guys the year I transferred and we won the team conference championship in 2006. UT Tyler also went went on streak of conference wins from 2005-2009.  I had my best running times ever that year(2006) but my first metatarsal fracture would sideline me later in the winter(2006-2007), then a year later same thing in the other foot happened (2007-2009). That is when I took up triathlon seriously in 2008, but I had already done two triathlons just for fun (Take on the Heat / Stonebridge oly). I saved up for my first bike by putting money aside each month until I finally had enough to get the bike I wanted. I had no interest in triathlons at first though, I just wanted to be able to commute around by bike, but I wanted a "fast" bike. I am going into my 3rd season in triathlon this year and I am excited. My goal is to get a good spot at Clearwater, Florida and race fast, but also my main objective is to have fun.

FAMILY STATUS: Single but keeping options open (I work full time and go to grad school part-time, so I will be able to relate to most of you all)

CURRENT TRAINING: 70.3 primarily including sprint and oly races to keep speed going.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a few races, but I closed out with a win at the Iron Star half ironman triathlon (4:23.54).

2009 RACES:  Goal: Top 1-2 spots or so at BSLT or Lone Star 70.3, sub 4:15
2/21 Texas Motor Speedway Du
3/6 Athens sprint
4/25 Lone Star 70.3
5/2 McKinney sprint
5/16 Four States sprint
6/6 Play Tri oly
6/19 Pioneer Day 5k
6/26 Buffalo Springs 70.3
8/? River Cities sprint
8/22 Take on the Heat sprint
9/12 Prairie Man 70.3
9/26 Stonebridge oly
10/10 U.S. Open
11/6 Riverside V
11/12 World Championships 70.3 (if qualify)

WEIGHTLOSS: My goal is maintain and drop a little off-season weight and help you reach yours

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: You should just be able to look at my training log and see for yourself. But I will be checking on you almost daily maybe several more times a day if needed to make sure you are on the right path and keeping you motivated. I want a close knit group and for you to be able to ask any questions you want. I am still new to triathlons going into my 3rd season, so if I don't know the answer I can bet ya that I know someone who does. You should be able to keep this sport fun which is why you should be doing it to begin with as well see some self-improvement in triathlon and personal life. I hope most of us can meet up in March or April for a celebration and gathering. You can also read my blog at www.williamtritter.blogspot.com to get a better picture of who I am. I am excited about this opportunity and can't wait to help you out. Cheers!

*YOU WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY GO TO THE 'LIVE' FORUM.  I MOVE PEOPLE OUT AS NEEDED SO EVERYONE FILLS-UP WITH PEOPLE IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.  It may take a week or two until you go live. 

Edited by triritter 2009-12-21 9:34 AM

2009-12-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2563913

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" Open

Hope this is the right place to sign up for your mentor program.  I've read your logs for 2 seasons now and I think it's great you started a mentor program.  I started reading your logs awhile back cause you were local.  I live in Rowlett.  You and Stephen also go back and forth which is great to read and watch results.

I've done 3 seasons of tri's which have been mainly sprints with a couple of Oly's thrown in.  Mostly due to family and work I train when I can squeeze it in.  My current issue is motivation.  Just had a new daughter born and it's been 4 months now.  I was thinking signing up for something like this may help.

Also I feel like I've hit a wall.  I'm thinking of trying a HIM in 2010, but just don't know if I want to commit to that.  I rather like sprints/Oly's.

thanks for your time.  There is a lot more, but don't want to scare you off.

David

2009-12-20 11:44 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Hey William,
I would like to be part of your group I need someone to kick me in the butt not pat me on the head.  I really want to have a successful year and think I have a good plan.  Of course the plan is the easy part following the plan well that is were I have failed in the past.

Clifford
2009-12-20 12:08 PM

User image

Tyler,
Welcome guys! Nice meet you Dr. Kelly. Come to Rockwall today at 2pm if you want a good group ride. I am going with a guy I coach here. 

Hey Cliff thanks for joining. I am familiar with you and I plan to kick your butt

Make sure you are keeping up with your logs. If you have any questions ask on here, comment, or message me.  Looking forward to getting to know you all. 
2009-12-20 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2569745

User image

Regular

Where do you leave from, Rockwall Cycle?

2009-12-20 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins

2009-12-20 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Great! I see your group is still open? I hope so. I would really like to be a part of the group. Hope to hear from you. I am new to Tri life and am now motivated enough to try a race or three this year. I am new to this mentor thing so if their is anything you need right off just ask. Cheers, Jeff.
2009-12-20 7:07 PM

User image

Tyler,
Welcome to the group Kahne and straydog. I don't really need anything from you just to make sure you keep up with your logs, ask any questions you may have. I'd also like to know your real name. Welcome to triathlon and hope you like it. Good effort today David, that was a solid group.
2009-12-20 7:12 PM

Hey!

I'd like to join this group- I'm about as newbie as they come, and having some extra motivation and feedback should be just what I need.  Hopefully I can give a little back as well in the process!

A bit about me.

I'm Jon, in Virginia Beach.  While I was active most of my life, with skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, and other (mostly individual) sports, I let life intervene, put on an extra 30 pounds, and sat around a lot.

Eight weeks ago, I started in a 'biggest loser' contest at work (an office of 2200 people, they've done about eight of these 14 week contests so far).  I've been doing a variety of exercises and eating right for the duration, and have lost 19 pounds in the last eight weeks.  I feel a great deal better as well!

So, in an effort to stave off dropping off the wagon like a stone in February when the contest ends, I've set a schedule for myself:  March, Virginia Duathlon (5K/23mile/5K) - June, Breezy Point sprint tri, September, Sandman sprint tri.

Physically, I'm all sprinter, and need to work #1 on endurance- mostly in the pool.  I'm extremely comfortable in the water, but have no stroke training, which I'm looking into options for.

So, I'm looking forward to my first season! 

2009-12-20 7:24 PM

User image

Tyler,

Welcome to the group muddycreek!! just ask any questions you may have. You may want to look for an "expert" in your area to help you with your swim. So look around for that, also watching some you tube will help as well such as the Dave Scott videos. Swimming is my weakness as well, I will be hitting it hard in mid-January. 

Oh btw I will be on Vacation with my mom to Tucson Arizona, so I probably won't have internet from Jan 1-9. I just remembered that so don't get mad if I can't write back

2009-12-20 7:27 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

Lets get it on. 

Right now I am training for the Houston Mary, but I can not wait to get back on the bike and in the pool soon.  I did well in the 2 tris I did last year, but I have much more room to improve.  My weekness is the bike, pure and simple.  I think I run well for 220pounds and my swim is not bad.  I just picked up a second job to buy a new tri bike and I am hoping it will help out.  I plan on doing CB&I, Bridgeland and Ironstar for sure.  I want to mix in a few more, but this is good for now.  I am a teacher full time (good hours to train) and my part time job is at sports authority (discount on clothes). 

I want to be faster on the bike!!!

Patrick McLendon

2009-12-20 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2570205

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2009-12-20 7:27 PM

Lets get it on. 

Right now I am training for the Houston Mary, but I can not wait to get back on the bike and in the pool soon.  I did well in the 2 tris I did last year, but I have much more room to improve.  My weekness is the bike, pure and simple.  I think I run well for 220pounds and my swim is not bad.  I just picked up a second job to buy a new tri bike and I am hoping it will help out.  I plan on doing CB&I, Bridgeland and Ironstar for sure.  I want to mix in a few more, but this is good for now.  I am a teacher full time (good hours to train) and my part time job is at sports authority (discount on clothes). 

Patrick McLendon

Are you high school or college teacher and what subject(s)? When the season gets going the ways you can improve your bike mix up efforts of time trial efforts short and long, power intervals something like 10x1 min all out/1 min easy, threshold riding like 3x20 min at goal 70.3 pace/ 10 min easy, or 3x 5-8 min and 3-4 min easy. 

Welcome to the group, glad you finally joined thanks for encouraging me to do this. 

So far I got a total count of 6 of us. Cheers! 

2009-12-20 8:06 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Would like to jump in if there is still room...

Im a newbie to the sport, just about to finish the couch to sprint program and havent died yet... matter of fact least ive felt sore, injured or fatigued from a sport ever.  Still trying to figure out which events i want to accomplish this year... Two that I want on the list are the memphis in may oly and chicago oly. Otherwise there are several local sprints that sound like fun.

I have been fairly active since youth, but as of late work and family have slowed down my efforts and I am up about 25 lbs from where I would like to be....

Family: Married with two kids (16 and 14)

Current Training: Week 9 couch to sprint program.

Thanks!  Mike
2009-12-20 8:14 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

Ok so a little about me. I am a retiree from the U.S. Navy having served 20 years in the Submarine service during that time I did very little as far a sports Racquet ball and running 1.5 miles 2 times per year was it for most of it.  Around 1995 I started running a few miles and finally built up to a 15k race in Jacksonville Fl.  After retirement in 2001 I went from a low of 165 to 196 pounds in 2006 to me a triathlon was Beer, Ice cream, and Potato chips, That was when I decided I needed to make a change or I would be dead of a heart attack in just a few more years.  2006 I finished 2 tris Heritage days and Burnett, 2007 I did my first and oly Olympic the Texasman followed by my first half marathon in November, and first marathon January first 2008.  Unfortunately in the buildup form half to full Marathon I added a large dose of core as well a rapid increase in running volume which resulted in a torn abdominal muscle and very sore left knee.  2008 was a lack luster year as I refused to allow injuries to heal and my attitude took a big dive.  2009 was a second poor year due to lack of good training, inability to stick to a plan, and poor attitude, many of my old habits have returned I am up to 193 pounds and drink way too much for a Triathlete.  Oh I have also found a liking to fast food double cheeseburgers.  Ok enough of that..  Monday the 21st of December starts my 2010 season with the following goals. Heritage days sprint 1:32:15 last year’s time 1:56.  5k race sub 25, 10k sub 55, Austin half Iron goal 6:40, and Texas marathon Jan 1 2011 sub 4:30.  To do this I need to drop nearly 20 pounds swim 1000 yard in about 17 min, ride 20 miles @ 20 mph, and stick to a training plan.  Ok that me.

2009-12-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2570239

User image

Tyler,
mcassat - 2009-12-20 8:06 PMWould like to jump in if there is still room...

Im a newbie to the sport, just about to finish the couch to sprint program and havent died yet... matter of fact least ive felt sore, injured or fatigued from a sport ever.  Still trying to figure out which events i want to accomplish this year... Two that I want on the list are the memphis in may oly and chicago oly. Otherwise there are several local sprints that sound like fun.

I have been fairly active since youth, but as of late work and family have slowed down my efforts and I am up about 25 lbs from where I would like to be....

Family: Married with two kids (16 and 14)

Current Training: Week 9 couch to sprint program.

Thanks!  Mike
We still have room, I realize ya'll will be keeping me busy jk. Ouch a guy with 2 teenagers too you will definitely be busy, so it will be important for you to keep training in moderation so you spend time with your family as well. Just remember quality/quantity. You can still still get in good bikes with only an hour on the trainer this will keep you fit through the week and longer(ish) ride on the weekend.
2009-12-20 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2570220

Master
Montgomery, Tx
triritter - 2009-12-20 7:47 PM

Lets get it on. 

Patrick McLendon

Are you high school or college teacher and what subject(s)? When the season gets going the ways you can improve your bike mix up efforts of time trial efforts short and long, power intervals something like 10x1 min all out/1 min easy, threshold riding like 3x20 min at goal 70.3 pace/ 10 min easy, or 3x 5-8 min and 3-4 min easy. 

Welcome to the group, glad you finally joined thanks for encouraging me to do this. 

After meeting you and seeing how much you smoked the Ironstar course I thought you would be a great mentor.  after reading many of your post and seeing your logs, I know you are a student of the sport and that makes the best teacher.  I am looking forward to your advice this year.

I have the best teaching job on earth.  I have a very rewarding job of teaching PE k-4th at a school in Conroe. 

2009-12-20 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2570250

User image

Tyler,
CBarnes - 2009-12-20 8:14 PM

Ok so a little about me. I am a retiree from the U.S. Navy having served 20 years in the Submarine service during that time I did very little as far a sports Racquet ball and running 1.5 miles 2 times per year was it for most of it.  Around 1995 I started running a few miles and finally built up to a 15k race in Jacksonville Fl.  After retirement in 2001 I went from a low of 165 to 196 pounds in 2006 to me a triathlon was Beer, Ice cream, and Potato chips, That was when I decided I needed to make a change or I would be dead of a heart attack in just a few more years.  2006 I finished 2 tris Heritage days and Burnett, 2007 I did my first and oly Olympic the Texasman followed by my first half marathon in November, and first marathon January first 2008.  Unfortunately in the buildup form half to full Marathon I added a large dose of core as well a rapid increase in running volume which resulted in a torn abdominal muscle and very sore left knee.  2008 was a lack luster year as I refused to allow injuries to heal and my attitude took a big dive.  2009 was a second poor year due to lack of good training, inability to stick to a plan, and poor attitude, many of my old habits have returned I am up to 193 pounds and drink way too much for a Triathlete.  Oh I have also found a liking to fast food double cheeseburgers.  Ok enough of that..  Monday the 21st of December starts my 2010 season with the following goals. Heritage days sprint 1:32:15 last year’s time 1:56.  5k race sub 25, 10k sub 55, Austin half Iron goal 6:40, and Texas marathon Jan 1 2011 sub 4:30.  To do this I need to drop nearly 20 pounds swim 1000 yard in about 17 min, ride 20 miles @ 20 mph, and stick to a training plan.  Ok that me.

Hey Cliff,I hope Lance doesn't mind me using him as an example, but when off-season came I told him it was ok to slack off the diet some well he gained 10 pounds. I meant it would be ok to gain a few but not get into double digits well I have no doubt it will come off when we get rolling next year, but I told him no more hamburgers back to eating lean meats like chicken, fish and veggies, whole grains that sorta thing. I also told him he was old (46) and not the same age as me (25) so our metabolisms are a lot different. I don't care that you drink but you will need to cut waaaay back. I could tell you about the cardiac patients I see come through if that helps if any of ya'll are on facebook, look me up there www.facebook.com/williamtritter (i think that's the link).
2009-12-20 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2570279

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2009-12-20 8:45 PM
triritter - 2009-12-20 7:47 PM

Lets get it on. 

Patrick McLendon

After meeting you and seeing how much you smoked the Ironstar course I thought you would be a great mentor.  after reading many of your post and seeing your logs, I know you are a student of the sport and that makes the best teacher.  I am looking forward to your advice this year.

I have the best teaching job on earth.  I have a very rewarding job of teaching PE k-4th at a school in Conroe. 
Ironstar is a fun course, I almost didn't do it this year because I was going to do Clearwater, but after BSLT I turned down the spot since you have to pay upfront that night and I wanted to get faster, so this year I hope to be financially ready and faster My roommate is a cross country coach and a 3rd grade PE teacher for Eustace ISD. I am currently an exercise specialist for a medical facility called East Texas Medical Center in Cedar Creek Lake, our big hospital is in Tyler. I work in a gym mainly with older people and help some with cardiac/PT/OT rehab sometimes and helping gym members reach there goals as well. A few do and many don't. add me on facebook and check out the Ironstar pics. The IV pics are awesome there are details about that in my blog.
2009-12-20 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like there is a little room left for me...

First, thanks to Will for taking this on.

A little about me:

I currently reside in Fort Worth with my wife and two furry children (canines Tongue out), Samson and Isaac. 
St. Patty's Day Triathlon in March 2008 was my first triathlon. During 2008 I did five sprints, including one close to my hometown of Midland (took 1st in AG, of course I was the only one in my AG!). 2008 also included four half marathons and finished up with my first marathon (6:30:00, yucky time but I finished.)
2009 brought on more challenges for me as my plan included my first sprint duathlon, first Olympic triathlon, and Half Iron Distance triathlon. My first HIM was a great experience, it was seven and half hours of fun for me, and I am being honest about it being fun. One motto I like to say to myself is, "I may be slow but I finish!".
The 2010 plan adds many large opportunities for me. It includes doing the Ironman Lonestar 70.3 in April and Ironman Arizona in November.
A big part of what I am looking for is accountability to maintain consistent workouts according to my plan and to remind me to log my nutrition each day.

Here's to triing.

Scott

2009-12-20 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2570299

User image

Tyler,
smeador - 2009-12-20 8:58 PMLooks like there is a little room left for me...

First, thanks to Will for taking this on.

A little about me:

I currently reside in Fort Worth with my wife and two furry children (canines Tongue out), Samson and Isaac. 
St. Patty's Day Triathlon in March 2008 was my first triathlon. During 2008 I did five sprints, including one close to my hometown of Midland (took 1st in AG, of course I was the only one in my AG!). 2008 also included four half marathons and finished up with my first marathon (6:30:00, yucky time but I finished.)
2009 brought on more challenges for me as my plan included my first sprint duathlon, first Olympic triathlon, and Half Iron Distance triathlon. My first HIM was a great experience, it was seven and half hours of fun for me, and I am being honest about it being fun. One motto I like to say to myself is, "I may be slow but I finish!".
The 2010 plan adds many large opportunities for me. It includes doing the Ironman Lonestar 70.3 in April and Ironman Arizona in November.
A big part of what I am looking for is accountability to maintain consistent workouts according to my plan and to remind me to log my nutrition each day.

Here's to triing.

Scott

Your name is familiar. Have we met? I think I've seen your name on facebook around some other people I know. I do some training in Fort Worth from time to time since my coach Brent Poulsen lives out there. Your race plan this year is solid for this year. So make sure you are logging your nutrition to EVERYTHING!!! I know it will be hard this time of year but it is off - season so don't get too strict but I don't over do it either. Cheers! We are up to 8 people, awesome.
2009-12-20 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

We may have been introduced via Marcy (dodgersmom) and Steve (doughboy). Or yet probably Gary Goode! Such a crazy guy.

Edited by smeador 2009-12-20 9:16 PM

2009-12-20 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Fl

Hallo All! I'm Bear, and 2010 will be my 3rd year of TRIing, only having done one the first year and 5 last year. I am in the Navy and about to deploy for 6 months on a carrier. I will be bringing my bike trainer and be able to use the treadmill, but if I'm swimming, something has gone horribly wrong. 
My main sched for 2010:
Sep 12 Nation's Tri (Oly
Sep 26 Augusta 70.3
Oct 03 MS NYC (century ride
Oct 30 Miami 70.3

I'm currently 5' 11; 240#, last year I raced at just under 230, but wasn't training nearly as hard as I should have been. 
I swam in H.S. and love the swim and bike. I find that my desire to run is inversely proportional to my weight... so between now and Sept I want to get back to 200#. 
In the past I haven't kept logs, but will begin tomorrow. 

Cheers,
Bear

2009-12-20 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Ahhh, the intros.  Forgot!  This is my fifth year doing triathlon.  So far I've done nothing but sprints. Last year I scheduled a couple of longer races but got injured, so I'm a little gun shy about getting too ambitious again, though I will certainly keep it on my radar.  I just finished doing White Rock HM and bettered my previous time (2006) by 25 minutes and I was really happy with that.  (I love running more in the cold weather--hate it in the hot!  But I will try to keep with it more even as the season progresses.)  Running has always been my weakness so I'm glad to see it slowly getting stronger.

Other than that, I am a college professor at a junior college, married with five furry babies:  cats Junior, Rocko, and Missy, and two dogs Buddy and Heidi.
2009-12-20 9:46 PM

User image

New user

Hello William,
I would like to be a member of your mentor group as well. 

Thanks Lance
2009-12-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2570342

User image

Tyler,
Bearintheair2000 - 2009-12-20 9:24 PM

Hallo All! I'm Bear, and 2010 will be my 3rd year of TRIing, only having done one the first year and 5 last year. I am in the Navy and about to deploy for 6 months on a carrier. I will be bringing my bike trainer and be able to use the treadmill, but if I'm swimming, something has gone horribly wrong. 
My main sched for 2010:
Sep 12 Nation's Tri (Oly
Sep 26 Augusta 70.3
Oct 03 MS NYC (century ride
Oct 30 Miami 70.3

I'm currently 5' 11; 240#, last year I raced at just under 230, but wasn't training nearly as hard as I should have been. 
I swam in H.S. and love the swim and bike. I find that my desire to run is inversely proportional to my weight... so between now and Sept I want to get back to 200#. 
In the past I haven't kept logs, but will begin tomorrow. 

Cheers,
Bear

Cool. Did you see that guy on from the Ironman World Championships that was in the Navy and had his bike trainer set up and run on the treadmill? So be sure you are looking into that guy and seeing how he trained for the swimming that uses similar muscle groups. Not sure how much it would help though, you will need to find similar movements. Your schedule looks good, you may depending try adding a couple of sprints to keep some speed. Other than it looks good and not too much. I want you logging nutrition as well from every little thing you put in your mouth. Ok? You should be able to be down to 180 next year. Good luck!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17