United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 44m 51s
Overall Rank = 579/690
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/47
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter and strawberry preserves on whole wheat bread. I had no appetite - could barely stomach it. I forced myself to finish it though. I think my nerves were causing the non-hunger, this being my first 1/2.
Event warmup:

None. Wanted to run but the lines for the loo were so damn long, that's all I had time for - no biggie. Did some stretching pre-swim.
Swim
  • 41m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't particularly like the swimming on top of one another that goes on at a tri, so I hold back a little. The downside of that, is that I am faster than the rest of those that hold back. I also started out to the left side and well, now I know that I swim to the left cos I got a bit off course. I had a hard time getting a deep breath during this as well. I eventually got my breath and the rhythm kicked in for the 2nd half of the swim, otherwise I would have been faster.

The buoys and kayakers and boats out on the course were easily visible. The sun's reflection off the cars and tents on land made it easy to site where to go to.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the right side, a little further up in the pack.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

I didn't dawdle and I was right near the bike exit anyway. I took my time making sure I had everything - dried off my feet and wiped the dirt off too. Took a puff of the inhaler and got out.

I could have jogged to transition but I prefer to walk. Slather on the sunblock!!
Bike
  • 3h 45m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm just slow...Not much else to say about it for me. It wasn't a terribly challenging course, but it was hard with the heat and wind factored in. Those first 28 miles were tough...the last 20 were tiring for me. I wish there was one more aid station on the bike cos I could have used some water to drench myself with. I grabbed water at each aid station to drink and drench, and had my AV with me, so I was good. Didn't feel dehydrated at all.

At this point, I just need to get a lot more saddle time in and improve on the hills and my pace overall. Need bike strength and stamina - EVERYONE flew past me.
Transition 2
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

I have a 5 min T2 because I was HOT and POOPED! I walked from my area to the start, so I took my time, said Hi to Spacey and Jeff, got some water and told them both that it was going to be a LONG 13 miles. One of the aid station workers reminded me, with a smile, "13 point ONE" - yes, thank you. I know... :)

Put on sunblock.
Run
  • 3h 08m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I would have liked to run more of the course but my stomach was giving me problems unfortunately. I carried a water bottle with me which made an enormous difference to my overall performance. I would refill it at each aid station and just dump it on my head (under my hat), my arms, legs, in my shirt and have some sips. This was key. The heat affected my first 5 miles or so, I ran less than a mile of each (really the miles were longer on this course than they are at home!), which annoyed me but I didn't let it get me down. I was getting used to the heat, my legs felt good, physically I felt fine EXCEPT for my stomach which made it very uncomfortable to run. :( I ran as much as I could and did run almost all of the final 3 miles.

Not have an icky tummy. Fewer gels overall...more solids on the bike. Or something...
Post race
Warm down:

A dip in the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my stomach on the run.

Event comments:

Pasta dinner the night before was the best that I have ever had at any sort of race event. That was the consensus amongst about 10 of us. :) But the POST-race food, well, all I could eat were some dinner rolls. There was NOTHING veggie friendly. The pasta had pepperoni in it and there was chicken too. The veggie burger option was nixed cos the grill broke just as I walked up to it. So, I didn't eat for a while post-race, but again, the hunger just wasn't there for me pretty much all day. Weird, considering how much I love to eat!

I would definitely do this race again because I want to improve my time on the bike and the swim I should have done closer to 35 minutes. I'll come back next year and do this one again. Debating about the Mightyman 1/2 in Montauk in October...

Last updated: 2005-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/47
Overall: 0/690
Performance: Average
1.2 mile swim - what is that in yards anyway?
Suit: orca sleeveless wetsuit
Course: triangle out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:45:16 | 56 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/47
Overall: 639/690
Wind: Headwind
Course: Lots and lots of rolling hills! The headwind on the way out really sucked - prob at least 10-15mph. The tailwind on the way back wasn't as powerful as I would have liked nor for as long as I would have hoped for, but whatever. Mile markers every 5 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:08:45 | 13.1 miles | 14m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 0/690
Course: Some rolling hills, one near the start, then off into the village of Tupper Lake. Did about 3/4 mile on a trail around mile 8-9 or so. That was the only bit of shade. More rolling hills througout but not crazy hills. Aid stations every mile, clear mile markers throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-28 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Tinman

2005-06-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #185765

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Tinman
Congrats on finishing the half!  You did great!  That heat will get to me and my stomach every time, so you just have to find that delicate balance.  Good job!
2005-06-29 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Great job on finishing.  It was pretty miserable out there, and you should consider it a great accomplishment that you finished.

Chris

2005-06-29 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
congratulations on finishing the half!!  i talked to my dad today and he said it's been horribly hot and humid there, so you really overcame a lot!!
2005-06-30 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Congrats on finishing.  It was brutally hot there.   Great job on the race.

Adios
Dave

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tinman Rss Feed