Pre-race routine:

Pre-Race Predictions:
S=17'
T1=2'
B=53'
T2=2'
Run=44'
Total 118' or 1:58

The above was my pre-race prediction. This is scary. I predicted to do 1:58, and guess what, 1:58 is exactly what I did!

I think I ate a little too much the day before the race, so I could have gone with a little less food.

Event warmup:

I crusied around in the water about 10 minutes b-4 my wave. Very light stretching.
Swim
  • 18m 9s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

We all know (yeah right!), that you should not change things up on race day? You know, don't use different shoes, don't try a new fangled sport drink, or better yet, don't use a NEW FRIGGIN PAIR OF SWIM GOGGLES!!! Well, that is what I did, and the damn things leaked like a garden hose with a big hole in it. Very distracting. I had to swim with my eyes shut because the salt hurt my eyes, then I would open them to see where I was at, and I found out I don't swim that straight with my freakin eyes closed.
What would you do differently?:

Porbably NOT change & use goggles that I have never tried before (IDIOT/Napoleon Dynamite).
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I had not practiced with my bike shoes clipped in for a long time, but decided to set up that way. The 45-49 year old transition spot was the absolute furthest away from everything spot I have ever seen. I had to run about a half freakin mile out of the water to get to my bike, and again to get outto the bike course! I don't feel like I could have gone much faster in T-1.

I had trouble getting my feet into my bike shoes after I exited T1, I sort of struggled to sneak my little feet into those Carnacs. WTF? It was a little frustrating to say the least, and I almost drove into an oncoming car lane (IDIOT!)
Bike
  • 50m 46s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 21.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I was using my new race wheeels (Zipp 404's), and my shifting/gearing was a MAJOR problem. The gears were noisy and I was skipping gears like crazy. I am certain that cost me some time. I hammered pretty hard on the bike, as my heart rate average was right at my lactate threshold. I was thinking, if I don't take it a little easier, I will BLOW TO KINGDOM COME on the run! I tried to get things settled down a little.

Pre-riding the course the day before was really a good thing. Visualization is a big help to me...

I froze my gatorade bottle the night before, and it didn't thaw that well by race time. Another pretty DUBM ASS move, so next time, I guess I'll just drink warm gatorade!
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Even though I think the 45-49 AG was at a ridiculous disadvantage in terms of how damn far we were from the entrance/exits, I don't see how I could have done a hell of a lot better in T2, I was as fast as I can go in/out.

Can't really think of much, but then again, I am sure if I watched it on video, I'd see that I am actually an IDIOT, and could have done a lot better!
Run
  • 43m 50s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I got my running legs pretty quickly, and did not push as hard as I can. I wanted to get into a rythem, and I feel I did. I mostly passed other (younger) runners, and I only had a few people go by me on the run. Most of the people who passed me on the run had started in waves way ahead of me on the swim anyway. The 2nd place 50 year old guy thanked me after the race for pushing him the last 1K of the run and said it helped him get 2nd place.

Go a little harder at the beginning, maybe?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a beer, ate plenty of food, and fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental toughness on the bike/run, ability to endure the pain, and my bike gears actiong up and skipping.

Event comments:

My goal was to break 2 hours and do 1:58 which is exactly what I did! I was hopeful to finish in the top 10 of my Age Group in a what I deem a VERY competitive field. I finished 13th, which I am pleased with. This was a great learning experience in my 4th triathlon. Next up Lifetime Fitness in Minnesota in July, can't wait! Woo---Frickin---Hoo!

Last updated: 2005-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:09 | 1000 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/68
Overall: 0/840
Performance: Average
Suit: X-Terra Pro Vector
Course: Seemed longer than it was supposed be, and a lot of people said it. A smooth water course in protected San Diego Harbor. Nice knee deep mud to walk out/in the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:46 | 18.6 miles | 21.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/68
My average Heart Rate on the bike was a SCREAMING 166. This is my established lactate threshold, so this is quite an effort. I maxed at 178 Heart Rate on the bike.
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly course, w/2loops. Finishes with a strong downhill. This is a famously noted tough and hilly course, so I am really pleased with my overall result.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:50 | 06.2 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/68
My Average Heart Rate on the run was 167 Average, and I maxed at 175 beats. My Maximum Heart Rate is 188, so I was not red lining or anything like that.
Course: Flat concrete course, that had poorly marked mile markers. The swim/bike were nice, the run course was sort of benign.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-29 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon

2005-06-29 11:04 PM
in reply to: #186805

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon

You know that is a fast freakin' time for an IDIOT

Congrats, sounds like you smoked the course in spite of the leaking goggles and other issues.

2005-06-30 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

The best "B" race is one where you still finish in good time, but you learn a lot along the way.   If this was a "B" race, then be happy, there's a bunch of stuff that you'll have smoothed out by November!!

BTW - You ran 10k at LT (a little above, really) - and that's not red lining it?  I must need more guts!  That was a SOLID effort in all areas!  Obviously a very competitive field. Great race!

2005-06-30 12:42 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Awesome job Larry! Keep this up and you'll be going to Kona soon!
2005-06-30 9:10 PM

User image

Great race, Larry.  A very impressive run split!  Are you always that good at predicting your times?   Excellent work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon Rss Feed