Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Vancouver subaru 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-02 6:33 PM

User image

North Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: Vancouver subaru 2013

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in triathlon and just registered for my first one in July in Vancouver. I don't have a wetsuit yet but I'm looking for one. I know the water in Vancouver, or BC in general, is never warm, should I be looking for a full sleeves or sleevesless wetsuit?

Also if anyone has any good tips on where to find one for a good price in the Vancouver area. I don't want to spend a lot of money for my first wetsuit.

Thanks a lot

Naimi

2013-05-02 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4725066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver subaru 2013

Hi Naimi, congrats on taking the plunge and registering for your first Tri.  I can't help you much with info on Vancouver but I did buy my 1st wetsuit last year in Kelowna.  I bought a nice Blue-Seventy that I really like but it cost a bit high at $350-ish.  There are less expensive options and many people even buy online.  How long will your swim be?  If it is not too long and you are well prepared you might choose to swim without a wetsuit for your first Tri but you do gain some flotation and streamlining with a wetsuit.

Take your time shopping and learn as much as possible by looking at gear reviews here on BT and any Tri friends or just other friendly triathletes (like when you're at your local pool to swim and you strike up a conversation.  You could also check manufacturers websites for info as well.

In prep for your Tri you'll want to get in some good open water swim practice as it does get hard for some people for the 1st few swims.  Some people hyperventilate and wind up swimming breaststroke instead of freestyle.  I've even seen a few people switch to backstroke.

If you get a chance to travel to the Okanagan bring your wetsuit and try out our lakes.  On the beach here in Penticton there is a swim channel along the beach and lots of swimmers to meet all summer.  The water from mid june to mid Sept is quite comfortable, clear and shallow.

2013-05-02 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got mine with sleeves from TriGeeks in south Surrey. Good price and good service.  They fit you in the store.
2013-05-03 12:53 AM

User image

Master

I rented a wetsuit for my first tri--is that an option for you?  I didn't want to spend a ton of money at the time, so the rental was a good option.  I also used Tri-Geeks--I got to try on 3 or 4 of them before I chose.  I ended up buying that model a few months later for $100-ish online (it was the prior years model of an Orca Equip and I love it).  I went full sleeve, but I think that can come down to personal preference.

Re open water swim practice: I did several swims with the Vancouver Open Water Swim Association last year.  It was great--lots of swimmers, so always someone of my speed, lifeguards on paddle boards, and $5 drop in fee.  There is also Sasamat lake where there are usually quite a few triathletes, but I don't think the swims are organized.  And since Subaru is in the ocean, the VOWSA is great practice!

2013-05-03 7:39 PM

User image

@wenceslasz thanks . I actually went in Penticton for camping (and wineries) last year and, by chance I watched the Ironman at the same time. This is a beautiful place, the lake is warm and nice.  I will come again this year and will do some more swimming. For the triathlon I registered for the Sprint one so the swim won't be long but I'd rather use a wetsuit.

@airborne I will go and take a look at triGeeks, thanks!

@bcraht I didn't know about the VOWSA, thanks. I really need to work on my swim, that's my big weakness. I was thinking of renting first but I want to have some open water practice and I don't see myself renting one every time, The water is pretty cold in Vancouver if I want to go for long swim.

Edited by ngrondin 2013-05-03 7:48 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Vancouver subaru 2013 Rss Feed