Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Beginner trying to choose races Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 4:00 PM

Subject: Beginner trying to choose races
Hi,
I've decided to do my first tri.  I'm 43 yrs old, 5'10, ~155 lbs and pretty active.  In trying to decide which distance (I"m eyeing Olympic) I went on training swims and runs.  I can swim 1.5km in ~35mins, and run sustained for 40mins (approx 10k, I think).  I ride 12k each way to work on a fairly reqular schedule. 

My question is whether I have the endurance to finish an Olympic distance and what I should really focus on in the next four weeks.  The event is the Montreal triathalon. 

Any comments would be most welcome.
-Patrick

2009-08-10 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2339588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beginner trying to choose races
Keep in mind that doing the 3 events back to back is no where near doing them individually.

I have not done the Oly yet, but I can tell you even a sprint, at fast pace is not easy. I can do that 1500m in 24 min, I regularly run 15 to 20k and go for 60-70k rides and after the sprint, I am bushed.

If you're determined on doing the distance, and don't care about your time, I would say you can probably do it if you come out of the swim feeling relatively good. Cycling can be done at an easy pace and running the same...at the limit walking. The mtl triathlon is a pretty flat course.

Ever thought of trying a sprint first time around ? If you want to do an Oly his year, you could always do a sprint in Valleyfield Aug 23rd and if it's easy try the Oly on Sept 12th. Think of the sprint as a good training :-)

2009-08-11 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2339912

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Really good advice up there

The key is do you want to complete the Oly or race it? You can probably complete a Oly but racing it is something else. I haven't done a Oly yet, Montreal will be my first so I can't say how much tougher it is versus a sprint but I am pretty sure it is harder  
2009-08-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2340643

Thanks for the feedback.  This is my first tri, I'm more interested in completing the distance than racing it.  Another question:  Will I need a wet suit for the Montreal tri swim?   Any suggestions on where I can buy one?
2009-08-11 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't know how much training you have done so maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but don't underestimate what a 3 hour event at high heart rate will do to you body. At these lengths, and with these levels of effort, you want to make sure your body is trained to deal with lactic acid buildup and you are getting the right amount of glucose because if you don't, you will run out and 'bonk'. But if you're well trained and able to do it, go for it.

I have run 1/2 marathons, and done sprints and found the effort similar. I am guessing the Oly is like running a bit more than 30k or so....for me.

You can rent a wet suit at boutique Courir on St-Denis. Or you can buy there or many other places in Montreal. Pegasus in Laval has some. I shopped around and 'Courir' had the best prices at the time.
2009-08-11 11:30 AM

User image

New user

Montreal
Last year in Montreal it was wetsuit legal. If I remember correctly the water temperature was just under 22 celsius.

You could also buy online. RunningFree (www.runningfree.ca) is a really good canadian online running store and they have Zoot, Nineteen and Aquaman wetsuits. This is where I bought mine and I was lucky enough to catch a sale which saved me about 110$ compared to the price at Pegasus. The downside of buying online is that you can't try it beforehand.

Edited by nosferatu 2009-08-11 11:34 AM

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Beginner trying to choose races Rss Feed