Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 27m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran pretty well up until that killer hill. A lot of people were passing me. It was my initial goal to keep up with my younger sister (a junior in high school) who is a really great runner. But at the beginning of the race she was sprinting and darting in between people to get ahead, and I knew that if I tried to keep up with that I was going to kill myself. So I just let her go and set my own pace. After the killer hill, I sprinted down and through the finish line, passing a lot of the people who had passed me earlier. It was a great feeling. I could have done much better if I had known the course and been able to plan my effort better.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out the course before hand so that I would know about that massive hill. And watch for mile markers. I didn't see any at all, so I was trying to figure out about how far I had gone by looking at my watch and guessing my pace.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

That massive hill.

Event comments:

I'm really ticked off because my time has not been posted. I know I'm registered, and I heard my timing chip going off when I crossed the mat, but my time hasn't been posted (neither has my sisters', who was one bib number below me). There's a whole group of bib numbers from the Runner's Roost we registered at that haven't had their results posted. It's really bothering me that I don't know how well (or not well) I did. That's my major complaint about this race. I paid the extra $6 so I could get my results, and now I'm not getting that. I understand it's all for a good cause, but dang it, I want to know how I did.

The after-race events were good. Lots of free stuff, lots of volunteers handing out water and food, lots of people milling around. Jessie and I got back-signs that said we were running to celebrate our grandmother, who fought and won her battle with breast cancer. There were a lot of survivors around, and a lot of people had back-signs that said "In memory of". Overall, it was a lot of fun. 1.5 million participants, they said (though I think between 800-1000 were competitive - most people just do the walk).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:40 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
A mass start 5k run, though we did have timing chips recording when we actually ran across the starting pad.
Course: We ran around downtown Denver, beginning and ending at the Pepsi Center. The course began with a little downhill running, and then a lot of flat running through local neighborhoods. There were about 5 or 6 different bands along the route (some better than others). Then we ran on the highway and down an off-ramp, which was a pretty steep incline and a pretty steep turn. Then we had to run up this MASSIVE hill, which I didn't see coming at all. That hill pretty much killed me. But there were a lot of people walking up that. But after the killer hill, it was a straight shot down the hill to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-02 7:49 PM

Fort Collins
Subject: Komen Race for the Cure

2005-10-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #257891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Komen Race for the Cure
Hey Jode..

Great report...I see you checked your email :-)   I'll let you know if I ever hear anything about your times.   Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and try to actually speak to someone.

How did your marathon run go....oh...nevermind...I'll go read your log.

Luv ya
Mom
2005-10-02 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race report,  watch out for those killer hills,  they are awful.   I love taht you ran in honour of your grandma.

2005-10-03 7:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-03 9:18 AM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Good Job Jodi.....I signed up for the Tampa Bay race but I sprained my ankle...'ll get to run one for my mom one of these days...sounds like you had a great time -SMO
2005-10-03 4:10 PM

Expert
Herndon VA
Jodi,

Too bad about not getting the time. Very frustrating. It sounds like you had a good run and that your leg didn't bother you. It's great that you were able to run with your sister. It's always more fun racing with others. Congratulations.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Komen Race for the Cure Rss Feed