General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 22s
Overall Rank = 175/317
Age Group = Olympic Relay
Age Group Rank = 16/19
Pre-race routine:

What routine? Kristen (swimmer) and I (cyclist) woke up 9 minutes before we were supposed to leave! We cussed alot, threw our stuff together (heaven forbid we pack the night before) and ran out the door. No breakfast, just a Clif Bar for each of us. Met up with Mike C. (runner) at Albertson's, walked the quarter mile to the event and set up shop.
Event warmup:

No warm up. We had so many relay-specific questions to ask that the only person to actually warm up was Kristin. She spent all of 5 minutes in the Exxon Valdeez Soup known as Stonebridge Lake (which is a pond to anyone that doesn't speak Texan). Mike and I stretched before our events. Thats it.
Swim
  • 34m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Kristin is a sub for Bethany our original swimmer. She deserves a damn MEDAL. She swims competitively during the summer in a club, but has never done a competition swim in OW. Further more she not only has known about this race for all of one week, but she got dehydrated from ROTC PT on friday and had to be rushed to ER. Then she swam 1500 in what amounts to a large diaper. Ladies don't even front, this girl is a champ.
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS, not get dehydrated 2 days before event.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Did I mention that Kristin then had to run a quarter of a mile to get to the Xition area, including down an incredibly steep, grassy and overall slippery slope? Well if I didn't mention it, there you go. Mike C. ripped the Chip off her, slapped it onto me and awaaaay we go!

Nothing. Our T1 split time was fantastic compared to everyone elses.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Yeah so these hills sucked. Don't gimme wrong, hills are where I'm going to beat you. If the race was uphill the whole damn way then I'd win and everyone else would lose. That does not negate the fact that the hills do indeed suck. I had no time to warm up my legs and just went into it cold. About mile 12 I got that jive funk feeling and really tore it up. Not happy with the time, but not dissapointed. Just do what you do.

Warm up and not fill up the damned Camelback so much. I drank a quarter of what I put in there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I was the only one running into T2 after my flying squirrel death leap off the bike. My legs burned but it was like sex on wheels. Only problem was that the jackass next to me on the rack had put his bike over real far and the team cannot let their runner leave until the bike rack. It only took an extra 5 seconds to get it on but i actually hung my right lever off the rack b/c i was so tight for room.

Bring a pocket knife so I can slash some tires and teach that ass how to rack his steed.
Run
  • 57m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't envy Mike for having to run this course. He was in a car accident a couple months back (rammed from behind by a girl on her cell phone) and has only just now gotten back into training. His knee was acting up on him and the hills were just an overall bitch. All in all he took his Gu like a man, champed it out and as such is declared an Official Studly Fellow by the Mike Turquette Board of Officially Studly Fellows. I'm the chairman by the way.

Not much, just needs more training. Oh and don't forget NOT GETTING HIT BY A CAR.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? I think i took a picture or two. My right index finger appreciated the attention. Actually Kristin, Mike and myself all stretched heavily after our respective portions of the race, it was just all over the place time-wise since we chose to relay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing outside of our own power. We just need to train more and train harder.

Event comments:

They had a volunteer officially bork the 5k folks by sending through a neighborhood unnecessarily. That would have pissed me off bad. Besides that it was very hard to find someone who could answer questions, but the actual event itself was very smooth. No one there knows anything but they do everything very well.

Last updated: 2005-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 189/317
Performance: Average
Suit: None.
Course: It was Valdeez Soup. With Water Moccasin. I'm not lying. All the relayers got stuck in Blue wave (which was the 3rd and final wave of the Oly's). Rather large wave if I say so myself. Simple two-lap squar buoy setup.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11.9
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:31 | 24.85 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Overall: 181/317
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hills. Long, steep grades. Shaped like a cross, dong U-Turns at each of the spokes. Very ITU in design.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00.9
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:38.6 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 203/317
Performance: Average
Course: More hills. It was sidewalk, nice and wide, but still very hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-02 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate

2005-10-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: #257924

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate
Welll..... how 'bout you biking with a woman who recently visited the ER and a man who recently got hit by a CAR??!?  Is it the curse of the Turqy?

Nice race and RR! Congrats.
2005-10-02 9:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-02 10:02 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Good job, turqy.  I was also in a javelin suit, so we probably saw each other and didn't even know it!
2005-10-03 1:49 PM

Veteran
Dallas, TX

Nice race.  You can have the hills though.  Sounds like you teamed up with a pretty good pair.

2005-10-03 4:22 PM

Expert
Plano, TX
Alright - another Team Javelin member! Thanks for the report -- glad you recovered from the frantic start to you morning to have a great race.

Edited by davidb 2005-10-03 4:22 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate Rss Feed