General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying Nutrition/Fluids HIM/IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-26 4:06 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Subject: Carrying Nutrition/Fluids HIM/IM
Hello Everyone,

So, I am new to this so please do not judge me and my ignorance on the subject area. I have my first HIM in a couple of weeks and I am doing the IM Malaysia in Sept. I am trying to find the most efficient/affordable way to carry the things that I need. I am thinking that I will only bring 2 water bottles, but I need a place to carry my gels and a place to carry a spare tire and all that goes along with that.

With my extremely limited experience out there, I have been doing a LOT of research and have come to the conclusion that NO ONE agrees with what to do. So, I am going to tell y'all what I am thinking and you can tear it a part and help me! (-;

A drinking system for in between the aerobars with one water bottle behind my seat. In the other cage behind my seat, I am going to put all of my spare tire things into a bottle and put it in that cage. I am then thinking that I will tape the gels that I use onto the bike where I can just tear and use.

What do you guys think? Acceptable? Will I need more water. I have one more spot for water on the seat tube, but from what I understand, that is the worse place to put a bottle aerodynamically... Okay, I am ready for judgement,

2014-06-26 4:28 PM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Carrying Nutrition/Fluids HIM/IM
A lot of this depends on your individual bike setup as well as personal preference.

For my long course races I use a Between the aerobars bottle and an aero bottle on the downtube. I carry my nutrition in a speedpack on the top tube behind the stem and live dangerously with only a can of fix a flat taped under my helmet tail.

Generally there will be enough aid stations on the course that two bottles will be adequate for the bike. Beyond that, there are as many opinions out there as there are places to put a bottle on the bike.

In terms of least aero penalty, for most bikes:

BTA > Downtube > Seat Tube > Behind the seat

2014-06-26 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Sounds like a reasonable set up. As you said, it's very individual.

Personally, I run a single bottle between the aerobars regardless of distance. I'm fortunate that I don't need to bring my own nutrition so I live off the course entirely. Most half and iron distances races will have sufficient aid stations to pull this off, particularly Ironman races. For Ironman races, I've taken along 3 or 4 Kruzteaz fat free brownies so I can have something solid to chew on once in a while.
2014-06-26 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Sounds like a reasonable set up. As you said, it's very individual.

Personally, I run a single bottle between the aerobars regardless of distance. I'm fortunate that I don't need to bring my own nutrition so I live off the course entirely. Most half and iron distances races will have sufficient aid stations to pull this off, particularly Ironman races. For Ironman races, I've taken along 3 or 4 Kruzteaz fat free brownies so I can have something solid to chew on once in a while.
2014-06-26 10:16 PM
in reply to: JZig

The only caveat to be aware of in some races (non-WTC ones, esp), is that on the bike course, the bottle replacements they hand out on HIM/IM type course are often very pool quality. Like so poor that they literally deform in your hand with no pressure if it isn't completey full of water. So you might have an insecure bottle in your bottle cage if you've drank part of the water. Happened to me in my last 2 HIMs. Not a deal breaker, not dangerous, but a bit annoying. A lot of folks run bottle systems that have fill valves on it for this reason - they just take that lousy bottle, empty the contents into their own good bottle, and avoid this issue. 

2014-06-26 10:28 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Awesome, thank you guys for the responses. I am just trying to go out and not be a complete idiot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying Nutrition/Fluids HIM/IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)

Started by dkahns51
Views: 3259 Posts: 21

2013-06-21 7:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Grapefruit juice for fluids during Olympic, HIM, IM?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 1051 Posts: 19

2013-03-29 6:07 AM erik.norgaard

Carrying Endurolytes and salt tabs during IM run?

Started by DV 1
Views: 1786 Posts: 10

2012-08-08 2:28 PM peewee

What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance

Started by DLR1
Views: 1381 Posts: 10

2012-01-24 2:16 PM jackson61802

Nutrition for 1/2 IM

Started by CindyK
Views: 512 Posts: 3

2004-08-05 12:45 PM jmc1888
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : August 10, 2007
Each year at the ACSM annual meeting, these experts present their latest research. Here’s a small sample of the sports nutrition news for 2007.
date : April 12, 2007
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.