Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-15 5:33 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: jszat's Group - FULL
jszat (Joe)

Story: 34 (by the time this gets underway) year old male about 1.5 years into triathlon.  Very active in soccer, basketball and other sports in my early day, marriage, fatherhood, work and starting my own business on the side as well as a rough first marathon took me out of multisport for a few years.  News of twins on the way, being sick of that little extra weight and a desire to do an Ironman someday pushed me into the lifestyle and the rest as they say is history.  Signed up for first IM next year (Moo) and hoping to keep active with other races, including hoping to dabble in more century rides and maybe ultras down the road.  While ambitions are high, I generally have a strong desire to help others of all backgrounds and embrace training as not only a key to physical health, but a key component to mental health.  Ommmm....!!!   Races include a handful of sprints, one HIM and two marys.  Looking to add vastly to the resume at all distances going forward.

Family: Proud father of 4 daughters: 5, 3, and two @17 months

Training: Focus is on Ironman prep, including base work, improving my crummy swim and learning more about nutrition.  Plan in 07 is to hopefully compete at age group in sprints and olys, but might be one more season away from being in the money

Weight:  Habitually in the 195-200 range post college soccer days, tri has brought me down to 180-85.  Looking to lose a few pounds more but pretty sure the workload will take care of that.

Edited by jszat 2006-12-20 8:44 AM

2006-12-16 10:47 PM
in reply to: #625438

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: jszat's Group - OPEN
Background info
I'm a 15 year old male from Wisconsin who doesn't really know much about Triathlon training but I'm real interested. I got interested after I watched the Kona Triathlon which was very motivating and inspiring. I am primarily an ectomorph. I have a lot of knowledge on the subject of weight training and started serious lifting in April of 2006. I eat a pretty clean diet with most of my fats coming from unsaturated sources. I also aim for about 3000 Calories a day with 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

More info and my training journal. >> http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=32640
If it's alright with you, i'll be posting my training on the website above, but if you want me to, I can start a journal here as well.

I hope to gain information and knowledge and stay motivated. I don't think I'll be running any sort of Triathlon in the near future. I'm more looking at it as a long term goal, maybe 5 years down the road. Right now, I just want to build a good foundation for when I'm ready. Obviously, the teen years are prime years for building muscle.

I do hope to get some running and biking in this summer even though I don't neccesarily want to burn a lot of Calories. Right now I'm saving for a Trek 1200 or 1500.

Edited by Pete10 2006-12-16 10:48 PM
2006-12-18 9:34 AM

User image

Fairmont WV
Hello Joe, My name is Steve, I'm a 36 year old firefighter from WV. I have just started training for my first oly. tri in July. I've only run 2 5k's and getting ready to jump with booth feet into a 1/2 mary in Jan. Something about a challenge,and a few friends.. I had a athletic background as a kid and into my twenties, but mariage,kids,divorce,and a host of other things let me go from my normal weight of 200-210 to a big old lump at 245. I'm currently back down to my "fighting" weight of 205 and just looking to maintain at that.
I lover the thought of competing and having physical goals to accomplish. Its been a long time since I have had this type of challenge in my life. I would love to hear any words of wisdom and advice you can offer. Thanks for the consideration, looking forward to hearing from you.
2006-12-18 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Adel
I'd like to join your group if possible. Having a mentor who could help with the time conflicts and other stresses of having young kids would be great.

Story: I have actually done triathlons over the last 4 years and have done numerous sprints, an oly, and a HIM. I was an athlete in high school, but became inactive for the following 5 years at college until my wife got tired of my smoking and drinking. Got into triathlons mainly to lose weight and became addicted. Last year I finished with the HIM and basically have become a couch potato since. My training motivation is gone and I'm hoping to get back on track.

Family: Father of 2, 3 1/2 year old daughter, and a 2 year old son

Training: My primary goals for next year are an Oly (Hy-Vee Triathlon), a sprint, and then either a marathon or another HIM. My long time goal is to do a tri in all 50 states.

2006-12-19 7:24 AM
in reply to: #626091

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Pete10 - 2006-12-16 10:47 PM Background info I'm a 15 year old male from Wisconsin who doesn't really know much about Triathlon training but I'm real interested. I got interested after I watched the Kona Triathlon which was very motivating and inspiring. I am primarily an ectomorph. I have a lot of knowledge on the subject of weight training and started serious lifting in April of 2006. I eat a pretty clean diet with most of my fats coming from unsaturated sources. I also aim for about 3000 Calories a day with 1g of protein per pound of body weight. More info and my training journal. >> http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=32640If it's alright with you, i'll be posting my training on the website above, but if you want me to, I can start a journal here as well. I hope to gain information and knowledge and stay motivated. I don't think I'll be running any sort of Triathlon in the near future. I'm more looking at it as a long term goal, maybe 5 years down the road. Right now, I just want to build a good foundation for when I'm ready. Obviously, the teen years are prime years for building muscle. I do hope to get some running and biking in this summer even though I don't neccesarily want to burn a lot of Calories. Right now I'm saving for a Trek 1200 or 1500.

I am happy to answer questions, but am wondering if there are any short term plans in 07 on the run, bike or swim training.  I think the intent of this program is to work with folks that are working at or working to tris in the upcoming year.  There is not much I can offer in the way of weight training either as most of my stuff is simply maintainence work and I let the tri training take care of strength for the sports.  Any thoughts on tri related goals for 2007?

2006-12-19 7:25 AM
in reply to: #626777

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

slashwv - 2006-12-18 9:34 AM Hello Joe, My name is Steve, I'm a 36 year old firefighter from WV. I have just started training for my first oly. tri in July. I've only run 2 5k's and getting ready to jump with booth feet into a 1/2 mary in Jan. Something about a challenge,and a few friends.. I had a athletic background as a kid and into my twenties, but mariage,kids,divorce,and a host of other things let me go from my normal weight of 200-210 to a big old lump at 245. I'm currently back down to my "fighting" weight of 205 and just looking to maintain at that. I lover the thought of competing and having physical goals to accomplish. Its been a long time since I have had this type of challenge in my life. I would love to hear any words of wisdom and advice you can offer. Thanks for the consideration, looking forward to hearing from you.

Welcome aboard!!  Sent you an inspire with some questions on 12/18. 

2006-12-19 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK
Let's take this group international!

I'm a 33 year old Dane living in Hampton, which is on the outskirts of London.

I've been married for 4 years and have a 2 year old son.

I used to be a competitive swimmer until my late teens but since then I haven't done any regular sport apart from always commuting to work on my bicycle.

I basically miss the buzz of training and competing and have decided to do at least a couple of Sprint Triathlons next year and maybe go to olympic distance in 2008.

My main problem is trying to balance family life and training. That probably sounds pathetic to you with your 4 daughters but as my wife is NOT even remotely interested in sport it can be a bit difficult.

I'm well into the Couch to 5k program from the site, which I'm doing because I'm crap at running and hope to get in the pool in the new year.

Bring it on!

Jens
2006-12-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: #627213

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Tri Iowa - 2006-12-18 3:38 PM I'd like to join your group if possible. Having a mentor who could help with the time conflicts and other stresses of having young kids would be great. Story: I have actually done triathlons over the last 4 years and have done numerous sprints, an oly, and a HIM. I was an athlete in high school, but became inactive for the following 5 years at college until my wife got tired of my smoking and drinking. Got into triathlons mainly to lose weight and became addicted. Last year I finished with the HIM and basically have become a couch potato since. My training motivation is gone and I'm hoping to get back on track. Family: Father of 2, 3 1/2 year old daughter, and a 2 year old son Training: My primary goals for next year are an Oly (Hy-Vee Triathlon), a sprint, and then either a marathon or another HIM. My long time goal is to do a tri in all 50 states.

Welcome aboard and looking forward to helping in any way I can.  Maybe knocking Wisconsin of the list is in order this year?

2006-12-19 9:21 AM
in reply to: #627736

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Jens - 2006-12-19 8:53 AM Let's take this group international! I'm a 33 year old Dane living in Hampton, which is on the outskirts of London. I've been married for 4 years and have a 2 year old son. I used to be a competitive swimmer until my late teens but since then I haven't done any regular sport apart from always commuting to work on my bicycle. I basically miss the buzz of training and competing and have decided to do at least a couple of Sprint Triathlons next year and maybe go to olympic distance in 2008. My main problem is trying to balance family life and training. That probably sounds pathetic to you with your 4 daughters but as my wife is NOT even remotely interested in sport it can be a bit difficult. I'm well into the Couch to 5k program from the site, which I'm doing because I'm crap at running and hope to get in the pool in the new year. Bring it on! Jens

Welcome Jens!  Glad to help in any way I can!

2006-12-19 10:22 AM

User image

Joe -

Was looking at the other mentors in the programs and i had to pick you, if you'll have me, for two reasons.

1. You're from Wisconsin, as am I. Plymouth.
2. You are a father of twin daugthers, as am I. 3 years old in February.

Last year was my first year in Triathlons and like most people have become crazed with the sport. My first was a sprint in Manitowoc and I did the Devil's Challenge in September. My main goal, when I started, was to finish under my own power. Now i want to get faster, train smarter, eat healthier and be more efficient. I am a Clydesdale. 35 yrs. old, 6'2" @ 250 lbs. At Devils Challenge I was down to 240, but after that training has trailed off and I back to where i was. I know i need to eat better and I could lose 30 pounds (at least).

I train with my borother-in-law, who started at the same time as me, but is much skinner and faster than I. I've also met TriDDS (Chris) and XH2Oskier (Jim) through BT and have ties with Elkhart Lake. We've gone on one bike ride.

My goal is to get everything fired up again at the first of the year. Original, huh? Do some runnning on the treadmill and do some swimming at the pool until the weatehr improves. Swimming is my strength with biking and running being my biggest "opportunities" for improvement.

2007 Goals: complete one sprint triathlon in May, June, July, August and September. Possibly enter a Oly in June for the Elkhart Lake Triathlon. We'll see how training goes. I would like to get more experience on nutrition too, lose the pounds and reduce times.

Look forward to hearing from you and keep in touch.

Have a great Holiday!

ajotto (Aron)
2006-12-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: #627867

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ajotto - 2006-12-19 10:22 AM Joe - Was looking at the other mentors in the programs and i had to pick you, if you'll have me, for two reasons. 1. You're from Wisconsin, as am I. Plymouth. 2. You are a father of twin daugthers, as am I. 3 years old in February. Last year was my first year in Triathlons and like most people have become crazed with the sport. My first was a sprint in Manitowoc and I did the Devil's Challenge in September. My main goal, when I started, was to finish under my own power. Now i want to get faster, train smarter, eat healthier and be more efficient. I am a Clydesdale. 35 yrs. old, 6'2" @ 250 lbs. At Devils Challenge I was down to 240, but after that training has trailed off and I back to where i was. I know i need to eat better and I could lose 30 pounds (at least). I train with my borother-in-law, who started at the same time as me, but is much skinner and faster than I. I've also met TriDDS (Chris) and XH2Oskier (Jim) through BT and have ties with Elkhart Lake. We've gone on one bike ride. My goal is to get everything fired up again at the first of the year. Original, huh? Do some runnning on the treadmill and do some swimming at the pool until the weatehr improves. Swimming is my strength with biking and running being my biggest "opportunities" for improvement. 2007 Goals: complete one sprint triathlon in May, June, July, August and September. Possibly enter a Oly in June for the Elkhart Lake Triathlon. We'll see how training goes. I would like to get more experience on nutrition too, lose the pounds and reduce times. Look forward to hearing from you and keep in touch. Have a great Holiday! ajotto (Aron)

Welcome aboard!!  I look forward to helping any way I can.  TriDDS is right in my neck o the woods and we ride once in a while.  XH2O is good peeps too.  On to kickin 07's arse!!

2006-12-20 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Is this group still open? I think you have 5 people already, but I would like to join if it is still open. If not thats cool, but let me know.
2006-12-20 8:42 AM
in reply to: #628777

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ballyard7 - 2006-12-20 8:11 AM Is this group still open? I think you have 5 people already, but I would like to join if it is still open. If not thats cool, but let me know.

Sure thing.  I havent heard a reply from Pete and still intend to have him in the mix if he is looking to tri next year.  Whats your background and goals for 07?

2006-12-20 8:52 AM
in reply to: #628777

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ballyard7 - 2006-12-20 8:11 AM Is this group still open? I think you have 5 people already, but I would like to join if it is still open. If not thats cool, but let me know.

I did notice your logs were currently private.  It would be very helpful to open them up and log workouts accordingly as far as giving advice and encouragement goes.  I can work around that I suppose but makes it much more difficult.

2006-12-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #628835

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Sorry about my log being private, i didn't even realize it was. I will fix that asap, there isn't much in there yet because i just started logging my miles yesterday in this program. I have a Garmin Forerunner that i have logged all my running on for a while.

My name is John and I am a 22 year old male who is married with no kids and 2 dogs. I weigh between 175 and 180 and i'm 5'11". I have been running on and off for about 8 years, but never done a tri. I was on the cross country and track team in high school and i have run in the Tulsa Run (15K) every year for 6 years. I have a 2006 specialized Allez Sport bike and can ride pretty well. My weakness is by far swimming and i am starting today on that.

I am fresh out of college working as a design engineer for a oil service company. I design pumps, seals, thrust chambers etc.. I also do some project engineering.

My goal is to do an OLY this year in July, but i want to compete in some sprint tri's first. I just started an 11 week sprint plan. The running and biking is a little short for me so i might up that, but i want the sprint plan mainly for the swimming since i am really bad.

Thats it for now, if you have any questions just let me know.

Edited by ballyard7 2006-12-20 9:55 AM
2006-12-21 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: jszat's Group - FULL

Looks like we have our crew.  Now on to kickin some arse.  Do we need a nickname for this group you think?  Some pointers on how I think we get the most out of this:

1.  Dont be afraid to ask questions.  Nope, I dont claim to know it all, but I hope to help you out based on my experiences up to the HIM distances (with MOO in my sights this year too).  Ask on this thread, via PM or inspires.  I am a pretty open and easy going person.

2.  Log your workouts.  It has helped me track progress personally.  What worked? What didnt work?  It also helps me in making suggestions if I see anything that you might want to try.  I will always be constructive and my advice is yours to use or not use.

3.  Keep tabs on your mates.  I have found that keeping up with what other BTers are doing helps keep me on task as well.  We stay stronger as a team.  Believe me, until I found this place, I thought running at 4am was abnormal.  Ok, so it is, but at least it makes me feel better knowing there are other freaks out there.

4.  Know your goals.  It is way easier to focus when you know whats out there.  And dont be afraid to make it a long term plan.  Mine is kind of about a 5 year plan now.  Weight, speed, races, whatever....you cant take on the world if you dont have a map

5.  Have fun.  This is key for me and I hope it is or will become fun for you.  This is not about losing a few pounds or running super fast or whatever.  It is about self improvement physically and mentally.  I hope you all embrace this as a lifestyle and that the journey we have together goes beyond three months.  I would love it if we kept tabs going forward (I am a BT and tri addict, so you know where I will be)

Anywho, any thoughts or whatever, please feel free to ask.  Looking forward to helping out!!!

2006-12-22 5:36 AM
in reply to: #630602

User image

Expert
London, UK
jszat - 2006-12-21 7:01 PM

Do we need a nickname for this group you think? 

How about: 'Donkey Joe's ******'. That should do it.

I'm up for a 4 am group run if you wish. As long as I can do it 4 am Wisconsin Time.

Anyway. Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to you all.

Jens

P.S. Oh man. I just previewed my message and the site automatically blanks out ****** which in this case actually refers to a donkey and not a bottom. Maybe we should have: 'Donkey Joe's Donkeys' instead since J. Edgar Hoover will not let me type ******.

2006-12-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: #631250

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Jens - 2006-12-22 5:36 AM
jszat - 2006-12-21 7:01 PM

Do we need a nickname for this group you think? 

How about: 'Donkey Joe's ******'. That should do it. I'm up for a 4 am group run if you wish. As long as I can do it 4 am Wisconsin Time. Anyway. Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to you all. Jens P.S. Oh man. I just previewed my message and the site automatically blanks out ****** which in this case actually refers to a donkey and not a bottom. Maybe we should have: 'Donkey Joe's Donkeys' instead since J. Edgar Hoover will not let me type ******.

Well, we could go with 'Szat Pack' or maybe just integrate you guys into the Donkey Nation (Turbo Donkey Racing).  Yup, I am a bit weird but I guess thats what keeps me going.  Happy Holidays to all indeed.  Make sure y'all hydrate properly over the next few days if thats your thing but be ready for a big 07!

2006-12-22 10:11 AM

User image

Personally i like Turbo Donkey as a name, but I am guessing we can't use that. What is it exactly and how can I join? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.

Joe, I think you should name the team and incorporate some "Donkey" aspect. I like Donkey, because i feel like one most of the time while training. LOL I'm just throwing stuff out there to see if anything sticks. Don't take any of this too seriously. Donkey Crew, TriDonk, DonkeyTri, Aerodonkey, Transition Donkey, T-Donkey, Nytro Donkey, Silver Donkey, Golden Donkey, Speedy Donkey, Donkey Bar, Donkey Kick. Out of that little spurt of inspiration, i like Aerodonkey. Your call. I'm down with whatever.

I will be "hydrating" in Florida until 1/8/07. After that, I'll be logging my training.

Looking forward to 07'. Happy Holidays!

AJ
2006-12-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: #631486

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ajotto - 2006-12-22 10:11 AM Personally i like Turbo Donkey as a name, but I am guessing we can't use that. What is it exactly and how can I join? I couldn't find anything on the web about it. Joe, I think you should name the team and incorporate some "Donkey" aspect. I like Donkey, because i feel like one most of the time while training. LOL I'm just throwing stuff out there to see if anything sticks. Don't take any of this too seriously. Donkey Crew, TriDonk, DonkeyTri, Aerodonkey, Transition Donkey, T-Donkey, Nytro Donkey, Silver Donkey, Golden Donkey, Speedy Donkey, Donkey Bar, Donkey Kick. Out of that little spurt of inspiration, i like Aerodonkey. Your call. I'm down with whatever. I will be "hydrating" in Florida until 1/8/07. After that, I'll be logging my training. Looking forward to 07'. Happy Holidays! AJ

You can be Donkeys in Training maybe for Turbo Donkey Racing.  It is all just a tongue in cheek thing morey1 on here and myself came up with over time, kind of joking at our paces, our persistance in training- Stubborn and Steady is kind of our motto, along the lines of the honorable Donkey.  When doing an early AM training ride past a farm, a burro bellowed at us from the distance and it seemed like destiny and a team was born.  Pseudoyams from Green Bay got in the mix as well and now others who goof around on BT with us on a daily basis in cyberspace may be 'joining' the Donkey Nation.  I think we all have a very hard work ethic and take the sport but maybe not ourselves seriously.  It is a healthy way to be methinks.  Anywho, if you want to see some of the tops we are going with for next season, shoot me your email addy and you can check em out.  Obviously, you dont need a shirt to be a donkey at heart, but we wanted to start flying our colors in races.  Just has made training a lot more fun I guess, along with being on BT and keeping tabs on others.

2006-12-22 2:47 PM

User image

Fairmont WV
Hello all, I think any way we can be part of the donkey nation is great. As far as a name, well have to think on that for a while. It looks like I may be the "rookie" of the group so I'm really looking forward to sponging info off of everyone. Keep up all the great work , and have a great holiday season. Steve

2006-12-23 5:24 PM
in reply to: #627593

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
jszat - 2006-12-19 7:24 AM

I am happy to answer questions, but am wondering if there are any short term plans in 07 on the run, bike or swim training.  I think the intent of this program is to work with folks that are working at or working to tris in the upcoming year.  There is not much I can offer in the way of weight training either as most of my stuff is simply maintainence work and I let the tri training take care of strength for the sports.  Any thoughts on tri related goals for 2007?

Not any triathlons yet, but I may give it a go at the Mad City Marathon if there aren't any age restrictions. I'm undecided right now because I don't know if I can do this with school and basketball. I'm in great shape but I've never ran real far. The farthest I've ran is 6-7 miles so I obviously have a ways to go as far as getting prepared. What should be the latest date I register if I decide to?
2006-12-23 5:27 PM
in reply to: #631943

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
slashwv - 2006-12-22 2:47 PM
It looks like I may be the "rookie" of the group so I'm really looking forward to sponging info off of everyone. Keep up all the great work , and have a great holiday season. Steve

Don't worry, I'm probably the biggest rookie of this group.
2006-12-26 7:45 AM
in reply to: #632410

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Not any triathlons yet, but I may give it a go at the Mad City Marathon if there aren't any age restrictions. I'm undecided right now because I don't know if I can do this with school and basketball. I'm in great shape but I've never ran real far. The farthest I've ran is 6-7 miles so I obviously have a ways to go as far as getting prepared. What should be the latest date I register if I decide to?

If you are going to do the marathon, it is best to commit to it as soon as possible and start training for it.  There is a big difference in this kind of distance running relative to being active in sports and a lot of that has to do with the repetitive pounding your body takes over the course of the mary.  I would say if you are going to do it, you have to decide to do it and get training ASAP.  Its not the kind of thing you want to wait until a week or two before to sign up for.

2006-12-26 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
The toughest part of this whole ordeal is convincing my mom to let me run this thing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3