Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-14 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: Lumber Dad's Group - Closed

NAME: Lumber Dad - Lenny

STORY: Ok, the username, my family runs a sawmill. I started out as a runner in high school back in '82. Looking for something new I did my first triathlon in the early '90s took a few years off when my first son was born. I haven't missed a year since '99 now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys (12 & 14) and a yellow lab that runs with me a lot.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a lot of running now, trying to get some skiing and snowshoeing in too. Going to try and work on the bike this year since that is my weakest.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 Green Bay 1/2 Marathon (1:36) a couple of Oly and couple sprints.

2010 RACES:  Green Bay 1/2 marathon in May (still trying to break 1:30), I have a Duathlon in May, Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in Chicago in Aug, then 2 - 3 Triathlons.

WEIGHTLOSS: Couple of years ago now I went from 196 to 165. Now I am at 173 and just want to get back to 170

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been running since I started high school track back in 1982. I have done all distances of triathons including 2 1/2 IM and 1 full IM (Wisconsin). I am not the best swimmer but I hope some where along the way I may have picked up some information that my help someone out there. In the process a new triathlete could give me some new motivation.

Thanks

Edited by Lumber Dad 2009-12-17 12:02 PM

2009-12-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2558347

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Group - Open
I'd like to join your group.

I'm going on 43, married with 2 kids - 11 & 8.  I trained for my first sprint last year and was rained out so I went for an olympic.  You can check out my race report to get an idea of just how not fast I am.  I'm only about 5'-4" and 128 lbs, so I'm not looking to lose much weight.

Currently, I'm in the running training mode as I'm planning on a 25k in May.  I'm looking to do a couple of tri's this year from about late June through August.  Nothing more than an olympic. 

I'll probably start the tri training in mid-January.  I run outside, but the swim and bike will have to be inside until it warms up around here and that is usually about April and the water won't be warm enough until June.

Swimming is my trouble spot.  I'm taking swimming lessons so hopefully, I can improve on that.

Thanks,
Ethan
2009-12-16 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2562846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Ethan,Thanks for joining my group.Nice job on your Oly last year, great job for your first one.Have you been doing any training now, I didn't see anything in your logs? If you could fill that out I so I could see how your training is going and what your weekly totals are. Feel free to ask any questions and I will help where I can.Lenny
2009-12-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2563101

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
Currently, I'm not doing any training other than running and I haven't been updating my log since I finished my training in August.

I can get back in the swing of things (updating) by next week.  I anticipate the full blown tri training to start in mid-January.
2009-12-16 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Hi all! May I join this group? The fact that we're all in the Midwest is appealing to me, as we have the added challenge of the nasty winter weather right now.

Me:  abake (Anne).  Live in Central Illinois. Age 48

Story: Grew up horseback riding, no athletic endeavors until age 35. Got into running about 6 years ago, then did a bike/run biathlon 3 years ago.  Wanted to try a tri but couldn't swim, so took swimming lessons two years ago at the ripe old age of 46.

Family Status: In a LTR, have a 20 y.o, he has two older kids.  Mom to three spoiled rotten cats.  Had a dog until October, lost my sweet girl when she was 15.

2009 Racing: Did a lot of races --- three half marathons, a full marathon, a trail run, four sprint distance triathlons and the Tour De Donut bike race.  Did ok, didn't really take training seriously, more of a finisher.

Focus for 2010: I want to improve my swimming technique and work on running speed (I am slow but determined). Have a half marathon in February in Tampa and then would like to shoot for an Olympic distance tri sometime in late summer.  In 2011 I would like to do a half IM.

Current Training: Running 3x a week, trying to swim 3x a week although that's been a challenge.  Started spin and trainer on the bike, plus have a couple of 30-minute intense circuit training routines that I like to do. 

Whew, that's a lot of talking about myself!!!

2009-12-16 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

Can I join? Another midwesterner

Me:
  lrunfit (Lisa) - Waukesha WI and I just turned 36.

Story:
I am a California girl. Born in Santa Cruz and I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area until I went to college outside of Sacramento. I moved the midwest in 1997. I  started swimming when I started walking and competed until college. I also started downhill skiing when I started walking.  When I was a junior in high school I ran Cross Country for the first time.  I ended up going to the state championships that year.  I ran cross country and track my freshman year in college but then the "fun" of being in college took over.  I  ran  a bunch of 10Ks in Michigan before we moved to WI in 2003.

Family Status:
I am married to a non-triathalete. I have twin 6 1/2 year old girls.  I work part time as a fitness instructor (spin, pilates, pi-yo, strength, boot camp) and also work out of my house as an analyst for a company in the boat industry.

2009 Racing:
This was the first year that I really came back full force.  I ran about 10 races (still have one left)  Everything form a 5K to my first marathon.  I PR'd ever distance this year and top 10 in most races.  I also got back into the pool and remembered how much I love swimming.  Then got a road bike which is now on set up in the basement on a trainer.

Focus for 2010:
  Start triathalons.  I am running the Boston marathon in April.  So I am training for that as well as swimming and riding on the trainer. I want to start with a sprint distance in May or June and then do an Olympic  - hoping to find my right distance. I also am going to keep running and I plan on doing another marathon in late fall. One more focus is to keep my legs injury free. I struggled this year with hamstring and piriformis issues.

Current Training:
Basically I run/bike/swim or do the ellitpical for about 2 hours a day - usually a combo of some sort. Depending on what I am teaching or training for then I will do more.  I also do strength work 3-4 times a week but I am not a big fan of it and pilates.

Ok that was a lot more words than I planned on writing

2009-12-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2563206

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Anne, Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like your swim training is going good. Lot better than my swim training has been going. Are you looking to pick up your running in January to get ready for your 1/2? Do you do most of your running inside or do your run outside too? It has been cold here, but I just can't get myself to run inside. Plus I have a lab that needs his run too so that forces me to go outside in the sub 0 weather. Hope I can help you with any training questions and help motivate us to get through this midwest weather.Great job keeping up with your training logs.Lenny
2009-12-16 6:41 PM

Freeland

I would like to join your group.  Midwest rules.

Me: jwheat (Jon) Live in Freeland, MI near Saginaw Bay 34 years old

Story: I grew up play 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball. Played football in college and rugby after.  Got into tri's about 2 years ago, signed up 2 weeks before with no training and finsihed lol.  Just learned how to swim with my face in the water last year and wow what a difference. 

Family: Married with 2 boys 6 and 2.5. 

Current Training: Really not doing anything right now and I am miserable.  Do not know what I am really waiting for (Maybe Jan 1st).  Would liek to do about 4 to 8 hours of week.  I work a swing shift and they are 12 hour shifts so soemtimes it is difficult to get motivated.

This years races: I was only able to do 1 sprint tri and some 5 k's.  Had a bag injury that kept me out for about 1.5 months and that was in April and I have not done much since then.

2010 Races: I want to do 3 to 5 races depending on my schedule.  Mostly sprints and maybe an Oylimpic for the last.  I also will do some 5k's and hopefully a 10K and 1/2 marathon.

Weightloss: Currently I am heavier then I have been in a long time (265 lbs). Last winter was down to about 235and after I hurt my back things went down hill.  My goal is to reach about 220 to 210 by my b-day (June 10, is that realalistic?)

Focus 2010: Build a core training program and stick to it as well as some kind of nutritional plan (need help). 

Thanks
Jon

P.S. I married a yupper from Ironwood and she ia a huge Packer fan. 

2009-12-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2563277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Lisa,Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like you have the running and swimming covered. With a little more biking looks like you can do great in the triathlon.Good job on getting into Boston, is this going to be your first Boston?I ran Boston back in 1989, wow that was a long time ago.Do you do any of your running outside? Now that December is here looks like we are getting our Wisconsin winter.Do you do speed work in your running? I know it is hard to get any done outside until spring. I try to work on hills until than.Let me know if you have any questions.Lenny
2009-12-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2563281

User image

Expert
Illinois

Lumber Dad - 2009-12-16 5:17 PM Hi Anne, Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like your swim training is going good. Lot better than my swim training has been going. Are you looking to pick up your running in January to get ready for your 1/2? Do you do most of your running inside or do your run outside too? It has been cold here, but I just can't get myself to run inside. Plus I have a lab that needs his run too so that forces me to go outside in the sub 0 weather. Hope I can help you with any training questions and help motivate us to get through this midwest weather.Great job keeping up with your training logs.Lenny

Thanks for the welcome, Lenny. I actually plan to start adding more running starting next week. Got a little burnt out on the running and have taken a bit of a break, which has helped immensely.  I will run outside unless it's very icy or extremely cold.  Do have a pair of Yaktrax that helps with the ice.  If its' really bad, I will sometimes run on the indoor track at the YMCA where I swim. I enjoy that more than running on the dreadmill.

So far this looks like a really great group and I look forward to virtual training with everyone!

2009-12-16 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2563388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Jon, Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.I know it is hard to get motivated when it is cold and snowy. Do you have a place to do your workouts inside? Do you do any running outside? Do you do any other winter sport (skiing, snowshoeing) to break things up a keep it fun?If you add regular workouts with diet, I think you will do well in losing weight. A couple years ago I was at 196 and lost 30 lbs in 12 months, I added eating better and stopped eating out. I was already working out a lot so it took longer for me to lose the weight. For my core training I try to do each sport 3x per week. I don't get as much swimming in as I should though. I am more of a runner and end up doing more of that. We should be able to find something that works well for you.As long as your wife isn't a Viking fan. It has to be hard to stay a Lions fan, can't remember the last time they had a winning season.Let me know how I can help.Lenny

2009-12-16 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2563484

Freeland

I have a trainer and an elliptical in the basement so that wil help but I actually liek torun in the winter when it is not to wet.  We do have snowshoes but where we live the snow is it or miss, many years we do not get enough to use them.  I have only skied twice but I do like it just not very good.  We are thinking about joining a local gym that offers classes so you never know.  I need to be active again, makes me feel good.  My wife makes fun on me all the time about the lions.  We went to the packer lions game thanksgiving.  I do actually like the packers too. 

2009-12-16 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Hey Lenny,  I am sort of new to tri also and would like to join the group!  I can't wait for the new season.

ME:  Jonathan (last name Gerbode-Grant).  I currently live in Portsmouth, NH, about an hour north of boston on the coast.  We have adequate training weather for about fifteen days a year.

STORY:  I grew up watching the Kona IM with my dad.  I was born on the big island so my dad has always marveled at the event.  Up until last year it never dawned on me to give the sport a tri. 

2009:  As of right now I have completed two sprint length tris. Both are in my race reports.  I fell in love with the sport after the first one and it's been sucking my bank account dry ever since.

FOR 2010:  I would seriously like to get running under control.  2009 has been a year FILLED with everything from piriformis sydrome to shin splints.  I have never run formally before this year and am sort of battling through it.  I met with a running trainer to get proper running form and heart rate zones, so that's all I have to start with.  My 5k time is consistently around 27 minutes and I need to improve on it big time.  I have a sprint, an olympic and a HIM scheduled for this year.  My goal for the HIM is 6:15.  That's pretty lofty given my running background.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am using the "ultra" distance training plan from open-tri.com.  The 36 week program actually started on Monday (12/14).  It's a six day a week program with Monday as rest day.  I will be doing strength training hopefully once a week and stretching morning and night as I'm about as tight in the calves as you can be.  I am trying to become a nutrition buff and am reading as much as I can to make my motor work more efficiently.

I'm always open to new ideas and love to get advice.  I will always chime in on the rare occassion that I know something ).  I'm a very active member of the website too so I'll be around!

2009-12-16 8:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

How about a member from the South? Live in beautiful Fairhope Alabama just across Mobile Bay from Mobile. About 45 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico.  Grew up in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia but been down here for 20+ years.

Background: 47 years old married with 2 children (son 16 and daughter 15).  Played competitive tennis growing up and for a couple of years in college.  Have stayed relatively fit through the years working out/light running (2 knee surgeries to right knee cause some occasional problems)  About 1.5 years ago I picked up the mileage on my running and did half marathons in 12/08 and 1/09. Was gearing up for another in 2/09 when I started experiencing some shin splint problems. Thats when I started looking at triathlons-thought the variety might prevent overuse injuries.

Not a swimmer but worked hard beginning in March 2009 and was able to survive 2 sprints and an olympic this past Summer with a duathlon thrown in.  Had a couple of good AG finishes and love the sport.

Currently focusing on improving all three disciplines.  Took some swim lessons and doing lots of drills. Running about 30mpw with half marathon 1/10. Train 3-4 times a week on bike and started with a powermeter 2 months ago.  Current training is 8-11 hours a week.

2010-will do a few running races early in the year with a Half IM in early May. Then Grandman Sprint in Fairhope Alabama, Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic in July, another tri hopefully in Aug/Sept and possibly another Half IM in Fall 2010.

Hope to join the group!

2009-12-16 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2563520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Jonathan,Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like with the 36 week program you should have a good base going into 2010. Make sure you ease into your running and don't try to run too fast too soon. That might be where your injuries are coming from.Try and fill out your training log so we can see how your training is going.I hope we can all help each other to have a great season.Lenny
2009-12-16 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2563569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi slornow,Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Nice to have someone from the south. We can envy your nice weather. Looks like you have a race coming up soon. From looking at your logs it looks like you have been busy getting ready for that. What kind of time are you looking to get in your 1/2?Hope we can be of some help in getting ready for your spring races.Let us know if you have and questions.Lenny

2009-12-16 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Room for one more midwesterner??

Me:  Lacie, age 41, eastern Iowa, pediatric dentist

Story:  Never an athlete, other than swimming for two years in middle school.  A girlfriend and I turned 40 and decided to train for a triathlon last year...midlife crisis I guess, had never even run a mile...EVER, had to start with 30 seconds running, 2 minutes walking..........

Family Status:  Married with 4 children, Emily 11, Carolyn 7, Jacquelyn 7, and T.J. 5, great dane Luca, cocker spaniel S'Mores, cat Miracle, and two Hamsters Tongue out

2009 Racing: Did 4 Sprints and 1 supersprint this summer, and my oldest daughter did her first triathlon this summer as well.  I am more of a finisher than a racer...my goal last summer was to finish each race without having to stop during swim or bike, and not walk during the run...was successful in all but first race when my training partner and I raced together and she needed breaks.

Focus for 2010:
Trying to run more to run faster, right now pretty snailike pace, build endurance in running and biking to increase to oly distance at least once this summer.  Swimming is my strongest sport....but want to get faster there as well.  Have convinced 5 of my sisters in law to train to do the Chicago Triathlon oly in two relay teams...only one has been very active til now.  Hope to race 3-4 sprints and 1 oly in addition to the relay.  Would really like to do a half iron in 2 years.

Current Training:
My training partner is on and off now, which makes it more challenging for me.  Was just starting a new plan with each sport 2x/week then transitioning to 3x, swimming with master's group, but reinjured a shoulder, so taking it easy for a bit.  Lost 25 pounds in process last year, and 20-25 more would be great.

2009-12-17 6:30 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Slornow=Randy. Sorry should have mentioned that before.

My half marathon is 1/10/10.  Did an 8k last weekend in 36:55 and have a 5k this weekend where I would love to go below 22 but not sure I will be able to do that.  My previous half marathon times were 1:51 in Dec/08; 1:45 in Jan/09.  Goal for next month is to get under 1:45 and under 1:40 would be a home run for me.  Run training over the last few months has been almost all easy/steady pace with higher mileage than last year.  Trying to use the races this month as "speed work" to get a feel for faster paces and get accustom to that.

Glad to be a part of the group.  Although I am off to a bad start choosing sleep over my swim workout this am:)

Edited by slornow 2009-12-17 6:31 AM
2009-12-17 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2563450

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Lumber Dad - 2009-12-16 7:29 PM Hi Lisa,Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.Looks like you have the running and swimming covered. With a little more biking looks like you can do great in the triathlon.Good job on getting into Boston, is this going to be your first Boston?I ran Boston back in 1989, wow that was a long time ago.Do you do any of your running outside? Now that December is here looks like we are getting our Wisconsin winter.Do you do speed work in your running? I know it is hard to get any done outside until spring. I try to work on hills until than.Let me know if you have any questions.Lenny

Yep this will be my first time at Boston - I have only run one marathon and that qualified me.  I try to do all of my running outside.  I just got some yaxtrax for when it is snowy.  Running on the treadmill has a tendency to lead to injures for me so I try to avoid it at all costs.  This summer is the first time that I did hill repeats and speedwork. It paid of big time!  I dropped 3 minutes off my half marathon time (1:27:10).

If anyone in the group needs running advice I am happy to share.  I know I will be asking a lot of biking questions
2009-12-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2563520

User image

Expert
Illinois

jgerbodegrant - 2009-12-16 8:11 PM

We have adequate training weather for about fifteen days a year.

LOL!!!!

2009-12-17 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

I'd like to join the group if there's still room for another.

2009-12-17 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2564141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Sure, welcome to the group.

Tell us a little about yourself and what you are looking to improve.

Lenny
2009-12-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2563790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Hi Lacie,

Welcome to the group, thanks for joining.

Welcome to the sport. I am sure with 4 kids its hard to fit training in.

Right now it is best to work on your base running & biking and as we get into spring you can add some faster running a biking to increase your speed.

There is a coach on BT that puts up weekly bike training that is very good for improving your bike speed.

Try to fill in your training logs, they help see how your training is going. When you start writting stuff down it helps motivate, you hate to see blank dates on your logs.

Welcome to the group.

Lenny
2009-12-17 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Hi gang,
Still got room for another midwesterner?
NAME: xTriRiTrix - Riley from Chicago, IL.

STORY: Just your average, ordinary gay guy who had a sex change in his 20s. LOL Seriously though, that's all true. I spent a lot of time, energy, and money becoming myself, now it's time to see what I can do to take this body to its performance limits. I sprained my shoulder very badly and then all of a sudden decided triathlons sounded like a good idea. Six months (and one stint in physical therapy) later, I'm still at it.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a toe in the water (looking but not actively on the hunt).

CURRENT TRAINING: Been doing the monthly challenges, via the Challenge Forum. Mostly focusing on Swimming, Strength Training, and Water Running, but I haven't been tracking via the training logs. Only the challenge forum spreadsheets.

RACE GOAL: Finishing an Xterra in 2011.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose some, but because of my physiology, it's really hard. I've tried most of the sensible things (Weight Watchers etc.), but still haven't managed to lose much. I hope to lose about 30 lbs. as a first goal, which is a little more than 10% of my total body weight.
2009-12-17 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Does anyone here do the Coach Troy Spinervals bike workouts?  I borrowed Suffer-O-Rama from a friend and gave it a shot last night.  It seemed like a really good workout although I had some problems with my drainer and had to get off and readjust the bike a couple of times.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 28