BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2007-12-07 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase!

NAME: Andrew Dollar, A Dollar, Dollar, $1.79, Buck and Change

STORY: I ran competively in high school but lost a bit of fitness in college. Upon graduating, I decided to train for a marathon only to blow out my ACL in a mean game of dodgeball. Two years and many rehab sessions later, I still had the drive. I quickly became bored running and decided to purchase a bike to see if a triathlon was something I would enjoy. My fear of the water took the best of me as I travelled three states just to find a triathlon with a pool start. Upon crossing the finish line, I was instantly hooked. I loved the adrenaline and challenge. I can't get enough of it. I still enjoy every moment of it...including the training and talking to beginners and more experienced athletes. I think no task is too large and I believe in pushing the confines of what I think is physically possible. Basically I am an adrenaline junkie who is too accident prone to get into the more adventure sports.

FAMILY STATUS: Single and living a bachelor's life--gotta love it!

CURRENT TRAINING: I tend to train by myself. I may utilize the resources of a coach this season in an effort to achieve a personal Ironman goal. I have used the BT Half-Ironman and BT Beginner Ironman plans in the past and I think my results stand for themselves. Currently I am using the 20-week marathon plan for training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This past year revolved around Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I also competed in one half-ironman, one sprint, one long course duathlon and a few road races.

2008 RACES:
2/24 Mardi Gras Marathon
3/30 ING 1/2 Marathon
4/12 Powerman Alabama
5/23-25 American Triple (r)
6/14 Buster Britton Sprint
6/28 Indian Springs Sprint
7/4 Peachtree 10k
7/13 Chattanooga Olympic
9/14 Duke Liver HIM
11/1 Ironman Florida (r)

WEIGHTLOSS: No specific weightloss in mind. I do feel that my diet was a slight limiting factor to my success last season so I am embarking on a plan to clean it up. I currently weigh 167. I raced Ironman at 159. I would idealy like to race at 155. Training and racing is ALL about the balance in life.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I bring a unique mix of witty and sarcastic humor to the sport. I live by the motto of work hard, train hard and play hard. I am lighthearted in demeanor but serious and realistic about goals and outcomes. I find the tri community (particularly BT) to be one of the most welcoming. I am extremely active on BT and have seen and learned so much through others. I feel that it is time to give back. I don't claim to have all the answers but I will certainly point you in the right direction. But more importantly, we will have fun along the way!!!

Edited by ADollar79 2008-01-14 8:56 PM

2007-12-07 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1089582

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--open
OK - I think I a ready for a mentor - here is my story - as it were.

On October 17th, 2006 I received a kidney and pancreas transplant. Prior to that I had been a diabetic for 17 years and on dialysis for 3. Although nobody wanted to admit it, I was supposed to die within a year of going on dialysis. Some body's handle the treatment well and can live for a long time, some don't and struggle daily. I was the latter. However, as has been proven in the past and was apparent once again, I seemingly cannot be killed. I spent much of my life as a young Marine putting myself in dangerous situations and coming out unscathed, or sometimes scathed but too stubborn to let it end me. I always believed that there had to be a reason for it, but who knew what it was. Then, along comes the kidney failure and eventually a young lady that I refer to as "my personal angel". Through her gift I am alive and healthy. I can spend time with my family and I can do almost anything I want to. I owe her and her family everything.
I decided in January, after watching the professional triathletes compete at the Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines, that I would train to run triathlons, and through those events, spread the word about the need for people to become organ donors, to use the fact that someone that was a walking corpse two years ago could compete in triathlons through a gift he received from a complete stranger. I carry her with me wherever I go. When I am training, and I don't think I can go on, I think of her sacrifice, then I get disgusted with my weakness and press on. I will do this and I will spread the word and I will be responsible for others getting the organs that they need to save their lives. I will do it.
I am married - 40 years old - and have two daughters that come to me from my wife's previous marriage. I would do anything for the three of them.
I have planned my season to this point to include 4 tri's and The U.S. Transplant Games. This is my schedule as of now.
April 19th - Mulletman sprint in Perdido Key, FL
May 3rd - Siouxperman Sprint Triathlon, Sioux Center, IA
June 22nd - Hy Vee Triathlon (Olympic) - Des Moines, IA
July 11th-16th - U.S. Transplant Games - Pittsburgh, PA
5K Cycling Time Trial, 25K Cycling Road Race, 5K Run, and possibly a leg in a swimming relay for Team Iowa.
Date Unknown - Tri Hawks and Troops Sprint - Coralville, IA
I am pretty good on the bike as it was my first foray back into excersize after my surgery. While I was on dialysis I was extremely anemic and was not allowed to do anything more physical than walking. The running portion of the training is coming to me at an extremely slow pace (get it - it's a pun) and I could really use some help with that as well as swimming. We can talk about my personal pace goals as we get more into it.

Let me know what you think, if you are willing to take on this kind of challenge.
2007-12-09 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Sure thing John...I am up for the challenge.  And the fact that you stay true to you bets, says a lot, lol

2007-12-09 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
I want to join a group to get some more advise as well as hear about other peoples stories.

Name: Drew

Story: working out and training for baseball (hs, college, unafiliated pro). Ran a lot being a pitcher and had a real bad longing for competition again. Decided to do a Sprint tri which turned in to 3 last year and now going to do 6 tri's 4 sprint and 2 oly. a centry ride and a half marathon. I work for a marketing company out of my hosue and get to make a majority of my schedule up. so i train and train some more.

Faimly status: 24 single male

Training- off season lift 5 days a week run bike swim one day a week. I have attached my training log for the season.... but dont know what to do in between races for rest and training.

Races
1/1/2008 USTA Membership x x x
1/1/2008 KC Multi Membership x x x
5/4/08 Big "o" Olatha, KS 750 11.51 4.03
5/18/08 Bike Source Herritage Park 587 11.5 3
6/22/08 Ozark Valley Tri Fayetteville, AR 1000 19 4
6/22/08 HiVee DesMoines, IA 1500 24.8 6.2
7/13/08 SMPark SMPark 1000 18 4.5
8/24/08 Jackson Co. Longview Lake 1050 23.53 5
9/14/08 Cats Sprint Tri Conway, AR 500 15 3.2
Cider Mill Centry South KC x 100 x
10/18/08 KC Half marathon KC, MO x x 13.1

cant decide btw the ozark valley tri or the hivee triathlon

weight loss: Currentley im 6'2" 220. I was right at 200 last year during season so im guessing that ill be right around the same this year. I like competing, when i loose weight ... great... i just dont want to become a twigg

Attachments
----------------
2008 triathlon work out.xls (34KB - 53 downloads)
2007-12-09 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Got room for a chick?

NAME: Sarah, PBJ (I keep a blog called Peanut Blog & Jelly)

STORY: I have made a 180 in the last few years. About 4 years ago I decided to get off my duff and start living a more active lifestyle. Ditched 80 lbs and started training for a 10K, then a half marathon, then marathon. This was my first year in triathlon and I completed 3 sprints. I have also run 3 marathons in the past year and a bunch of other shorter distance races.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids, 2 dogs. Husband is a runner as well, but not yet into triathlon due to job craziness.

CURRENT TRAINING: I marathon train with a group and have recently joined up with a local tri club. Most weekdays, I train by myself. I've got a decent biking and running base, but am starting from scratch with swim. I need to get on a training schedule, sadly, aside from running, I don't have a schedule laid out, I just swim and bike when I can (and spin classes). I need to spend a ton of time in the pool and figure out how to add weight training to the mix.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Mardi Gras Half Marathon, Shamrock n' Roll 10K, ING Georgia Marathon, Pi Mile 5K, Celebrate America 10K, My First Tri, Ryka Irongirl Tri, Maui Marathon, Emerald Pointe Tri, Atlanta Half Marathon

2008 RACES:
2/10 Mercedes Half Marathon *undecided*
3/1 Snickers Half Marathon or Alpharetta Half Marathon *undecided*
3/30 ING Georgia Marathon
4/28 St. Anthony's Olympic Triathlon
6/14 West Point Lake Triathlon *undecided*
7/4 Peachtree 10k
7/13 Chattanooga Olympic Triathlon
8/10 Acworth Women's Tri
8/23 Tri Peachtree City
9/14 Music City Triathlon *undecided*
10/26 Marine Corps Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Word. I'm working on about 30lbs and then I'll re-evaluate. Once I get to that point, it'll really be focusing on body fat % and leaning out. Timeline for my first goal is the Georgia Marathon, so that I've got a month or so wiggle room before St. Anthony's.

I'm looking for some beginner advice, as well as just being able to check in with other people who are serious about triathlon and enjoy themselves. My goal for '08 is logging all of my workouts, since I'm new to that aspect of BT.
2007-12-09 9:53 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Welcome Drew & Sarah.  Looks like we are going to have a good crew this time around!  I will spend some time over the next day or so collecting so extra info (i.e. articles, sites) that I find beneficial to share with everyone. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  The weather was BEAUTIFUL here and perfect for training. 

2007-12-09 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1091141

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
ADollar79 - 2007-12-09 3:40 PM

Sure thing John...I am up for the challenge.  And the fact that you stay true to you bets, says a lot, lol

Yeah - I vomit in my mouth a little everytime I see my own avatar.
The worst part about it was that I knew I had lost the bet by the time I agreed to the stakes. In the middle of the day my wife wanted to go out and get a Christmas Tree, so I left and when I came back I had heard a report that The LA Times had an insider reporting that The Rose Bowl had decided to choose Illinois. I figured that I would have made the bet based on those stakes if we had been talking in person and live, so it was only fair to agree to them anyway.
For the record, The Rose Bowl made a huge mistake from a marketing standpoint, IMO.
2007-12-10 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Andrew - I know that most coaches have several levels - i.e. they can build a plan for you to follow based on your schedule and then it can go all the way up to working with them on a weekly basis.

I'm trying to decide if pulling a plan from BT or a book (I have Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes) will be sufficient for a season of sprints and a few olympics (plus marathon training) or if I need to get someone to help put together a plan specifically for me.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2007-12-10 9:44 AM
2007-12-10 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

Hi!  I did the Mentor program last January, was wondering if I could still do this one? 

Last year I put in two sprints, a 5K trail run, and a 1/2 marathon.  I'm still deciding if I like tri's, I love all the sports individually, but not sure I like doing all three at once.  I definitely want to step up the distances this year.  I'm gearing up for a marathon (eek!), at least one Oly, a couple of sprints, and a hike around Lake Tahoe for this season.

Your expertise interest me because of your running background and sadly, because of your knee surgery.  I had an ACL reconstruction in '04 and I'm still dealing with pain from that.  And from everything my surgeon and PT tells me, it may never go away.

Look forward to joining you!

Thanks! ~Kendra

2007-12-10 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hello there. My May mentor group from last year fizzled out only after a few months so I'm looking for a group with loads of super peeps and some inspiration!  This looks like the place.

NAME: Lynne, Lynnie, Scot

STORY: I have always been active throughout my life. I was a lifeguard a few years back and I love to swim! I biked and biked and biked to work and the pool and everywhere else I could when I lived in Scotland. I never ran! I am slowly trying to get better and better though and I just ran my 1st (and disasterous) 10K this past weekend. Not to worry. That's why I'm here.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have no clue what I'm doing. I need advice and a plan to follow. I just do everything for an hour but I need more structure than that.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My first year. 7 triathlons, all sprints. 2 trail runs, 3 5K's and 1 10K.

I have a 12K this Sunday (16th) and I'm dreading it.
2008 RACES: 

Want to mix it up a little

March: 1/2 Marathon

May: Indoor Sprint

June: Olympic

July: Seattle to Portland bike ride

August:  Danskin tri to wallop my time as when I did this I was sick.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm at 180 and have been since last year.

2007-12-10 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1092285

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

atlrunnergirl - 2007-12-10 10:42 AM Andrew - I know that most coaches have several levels - i.e. they can build a plan for you to follow based on your schedule and then it can go all the way up to working with them on a weekly basis. I'm trying to decide if pulling a plan from BT or a book (I have Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes) will be sufficient for a season of sprints and a few olympics (plus marathon training) or if I need to get someone to help put together a plan specifically for me.

Great question. (I just shamelessly spent the past two hours at work putting together my Ironman Florida training plan..and I am still NOT done

First things first...IMO, a training plan is the way to go.  And there is more to a training plan than just run 3x a week, swim 2x a week.  A well-crafted training plan structures your workouts so that your body slowly builds endurance, adds strength and speed but also allows your body time to actively recover.  It prevents overtraining which is a HUGE limiting factor in this sport.   I can't even articulate what it feels like when you are on a long (16-20 week) training plan and you hit that peak phase and you ARE peaking.  It is like your just take off in your workouts.  A well designed plan does this for you. 

As to your issue, there is no doubt in my mind that a coach is the BEST way to go.  A personal coach can develop a training plan specifically for YOU and around YOUR season!  However, that comes at a cost (figuratively and literaly).  There are a number of good books out there that teach you how to put together a solid plan (Bernhardt & Friel are both great).  Also there are free plans out there (BT is great for this).  So is it worth hiring a coach to structure a season for you?  That is the $64,000 question. 

Have you identified which race(s) you want to be your "A" race(s).  To me this is the first step in developing a plan.  Jorge (amiine on BT) just wrote a blog about this topic.  http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/2007/12/planning-your-next-season.html

Your season should revolve around those races for which you want to do the best.  The second thing I do is find a plan that seems to fit my schedule.  (again, I am an advocate of the BT plans).  I like to spend time plotting the weeks onto a calendar to see where certain training weeks fall (i.e. weddings, vacations, other races) to see if that plan is good for me.  If it isn't a good fit the get rid of it.  I am also notorious for moving workouts around to fit my personal life.  That's fine so long as you don't miss workouts....especially your long ones. 

Looking at your goals for the season, I think you would be well served by an Oly plan.  One of the decisions you need to make is do you want St. Anthony's, West Point or Chattanooga to be your "A" race.  Will you be recovered from ING in time to peak at St A's????    Would you prefer to peak in the middel of the season?   Clearly you will have the running base for the season.  It is just playing catch up with the rest of the disciplines. 

2007-12-10 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Welcome Kendra and Lynne!

We are now up to 5 people so I am going to close the forum.  There might be a few more that trickle in but I would prefer to keep this a bit more intimate so that we can casually discuss things and make sure everyone's questions are answered!!!!

2007-12-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1092426

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
pipscweek - 2007-12-10 11:46 AM

Hi!  I did the Mentor program last January, was wondering if I could still do this one? 

Last year I put in two sprints, a 5K trail run, and a 1/2 marathon.  I'm still deciding if I like tri's, I love all the sports individually, but not sure I like doing all three at once.  I definitely want to step up the distances this year.  I'm gearing up for a marathon (eek!), at least one Oly, a couple of sprints, and a hike around Lake Tahoe for this season.

Your expertise interest me because of your running background and sadly, because of your knee surgery.  I had an ACL reconstruction in '04 and I'm still dealing with pain from that.  And from everything my surgeon and PT tells me, it may never go away.

Thanks! ~Kendra

My expertise?  That cracks me up!!! And I bet those who know me are on the floor laughing even more. 

I have had a number of bouts with my knee since starting the sport.  I spent my entire first season SOOOO scared that it would flare up and prevent me from participating.  When I began Ironman training last season, I had developed patello-femoral syndrome (my knee cap wasn't tracking right).  I faced my biggest fear...not being able to train properly for the race.  Fortunately, I found a great physical therapist and a few sessions with her got me back on track. 

You are correct, it will always be an issue.  I have muscle imbalances in legs that regularly flare up too.   My advice--don't rush it....triathlons, marathons, Ironmans, running across America....these are things that aren't going away anytime soon.   However, an injury can last a season, a year, a lifetime.  (this coming from a guy who REFUSES to go to the doctor!!!)  

2007-12-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1092614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
ADollar79 - 2007-12-10 10:03 AM
pipscweek - 2007-12-10 11:46 AM

Thanks! ~Kendra

My expertise?  That cracks me up!!! And I bet those who know me are on the floor laughing even more. 

I have had a number of bouts with my knee since starting the sport.  I spent my entire first season SOOOO scared that it would flare up and prevent me from participating.  When I began Ironman training last season, I had developed patello-femoral syndrome (my knee cap wasn't tracking right).  I faced my biggest fear...not being able to train properly for the race.  Fortunately, I found a great physical therapist and a few sessions with her got me back on track. 

You are correct, it will always be an issue.  I have muscle imbalances in legs that regularly flare up too.   My advice--don't rush it....triathlons, marathons, Ironmans, running across America....these are things that aren't going away anytime soon.   However, an injury can last a season, a year, a lifetime.  (this coming from a guy who REFUSES to go to the doctor!!!)  

Ok, I'll substitute expertise with experience.  How's that? 

Yeah, I get a fabulous pain at the top of my shin when I run.  It's something that I've just learned to live with, although I'm sure there's a better solution.  And my latest favorite bar trick is my popping knee...you can not only see it, but hear it too.

And part of the reason that tris give me problems is that after biking, my knee doesn't feel right when I'm running.  Which is okay, because for now I'm content doing the individual sports. 

2007-12-10 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1092632

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

pipscweek - 2007-12-10 1:10 PM

Ok, I'll substitute expertise with experience.  How's that? 

Yeah, I get a fabulous pain at the top of my shin when I run.  It's something that I've just learned to live with, although I'm sure there's a better solution.  And my latest favorite bar trick is my popping knee...you can not only see it, but hear it too.

And part of the reason that tris give me problems is that after biking, my knee doesn't feel right when I'm running.  Which is okay, because for now I'm content doing the individual sports. 

Just a couple of questions....have you been fit on both the bike and in the proper shoe?  Where is the pain when you ride?  I used to get ITBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome) in my left knee.  In fact it was irritating me yesterday.  Just a thought in case you have not gone down that route yet. 

2007-12-10 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed

Apparently I have TOO much time on my hands today but I was thinking of a few extra ways to kick off this group. 

I am not one for rules nor will I require anything out of you except being considerate and respectful of others.  (it should go without saying but you see too many threads in the forums go sour).  Feel free to be as active or passive as you want in this forum.  Ask questions, generate discussion, encourage each other, etc....this is YOUR group, my role is to provide support and generate discussion.  The one thing I love about this sport is that learning and knowledge is endless.  I assure you that I will learn as much from each of you as you (hopefully) will learn from me. 

If you haven't already, I encourage you all to add each other to your BT friends list.  This can be done by going to the control panel  -->  edit training settings --> friends.  Enter each person in the group and you will have instant access to their blogs.  That why you can check in and hopefully encourage each other on a regular basis. 

To kick off some general discussion, feel free to chime in on some or all of the following questions/thoughts

1.  What do you want from this mentoring group?

2.  What do you believe is your ONE largest obstacle in the coming season and how do you plan on overcoming it?

3.  What motivates you?  How do you motivate yourself on those bad days?  How can I help motivate you more? 

4.  Complete the following statement: "I would be a better triathlete (athlete) if _______"

2007-12-10 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

In an effort to hold myself more accountable to you all and me, I will also attempt to post my weekly workouts.  Feel free to do the same: 

Monday:  Yoga (am);  Rest (pm)
Tuesday:  Chest and back weights (am); 60 min LT run
Wednesday:  Yoga (am); 45 min base run
Thursday: Arms/Shoulder weights (am); 75 min run with 6x1 mile repeats
Friday:  Rest (if possible)
Saturday: Long run 120-140 minutes
Sunday: 30-60 minute base/recovery run

I am traveling this week and have a wedding this weekend so some workouts are in jeopardy! 

2007-12-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1093658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
ADollar79 - 2007-12-10 4:53 PM

Just a couple of questions....have you been fit on both the bike and in the proper shoe?  Where is the pain when you ride?  I used to get ITBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome) in my left knee.  In fact it was irritating me yesterday.  Just a thought in case you have not gone down that route yet. 

Ok, I might be silly, but I can't tell where the IT band connects in the knee to know if that's the problem.  Hmm, let's see if I can describe this.  I had a patellar tendon graft on my right knee.  It's just to the inside from my scar and it feels like the top of bone, which I'm assuming is my tibia.  It's not a sharp pain, but it constantly feels sore and achey, increasing when I bike and run.

I'm working with my podiatrist on orthotics for the run, but I've now gone through three pairs and something still isn't feeling right with my foot, which he thinks aggravates the knee pain.  Next step is custom orthotics for a pretty penny or more...

I haven't gotten fitted on the bike with various excuses, the main one being money.  That's next coming from my savings plan.

2007-12-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1093690

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

1.  What do you want from this mentoring group?

• Random question help that I feel to silly to ask in any of the other forums. 
  • Help with nutrition for longer training sessions.
  • An overall kick in the butt when I start slacking off during the winter seasons.

2.  What do you believe is your ONE largest obstacle in the coming season and how do you plan on overcoming it?

Time, see question 4.

3.  What motivates you?  How do you motivate yourself on those bad days?  How can I help motivate you more? 

Skiing!  I started doing triathlons because I thought it would be a great way to stay in shape during the summer for the upcoming winter season.  Now I enjoy the triathlons almost as much as skiing.  But, skiing is still the priority.  So, I just need to remember that whatever training I'm doing, is to ski faster than before. 

4.  Complete the following statement: "I would be a better triathlete (athlete) if _______"

I had more time.  Yeah, I know that's most generic statement of all.  I'm hoping to find the best balance that I can, but we'll see.  The hardest part is going to be that my long runs fall on the weekends, which are my ski days.  I have thoughts of juggling the schedule around so that they're in the middle of the week, but being an Accounting person, not sure the week is going to be much better.  Oh well...I'll figure it out and just see how it goes.

2007-12-11 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
1. What do you want from this mentoring group?
Someone that can get me through the spots were I feel like I have hit a wall and can't improve more. I like to get constant feedback and I need someone to tell me that they have been at that point too or they are at that point now and it will improve when I start flipping out about it.
Someone to get me ready for what a race will be like. To get me prepared for how to set up a transition area and how to make the smoothest transition and what to expect when I come out of the water. I like to be prepared for things and do a ferocious amount of research so that I know what I am faced with. I want someone to get me ready for that, as it is the "unknown" of the race for me.

2. What do you believe is your ONE largest obstacle in the coming season and how do you plan on overcoming it?
You mean besides the swimming, biking and running part? My largest obstacle is that I am coming off of a 4 year period when I could barely do anything and I am way behind the curve. I have a lot of ground to make up and not that much time - relatively speaking - to do it in. I will overcome it because I am the most stubborn person that you have ever met, and I don't ever quit. If my training plan says I have to run 30 minutes - I will run 30 minutes, whether I want to or not. My sister tells me that I would be dead already, but I am just to stubborn to die.

3. What motivates you? How do you motivate yourself on those bad days? How can I help motivate you more?
What motivates me is the reason I decided to do this in the first place. I will use this to get more people to register to be organ donors. I will do press, I will talk to groups, I will use all of you, I will use anyone else I can find at BT, but I will get people to register to be organ donors. When I want to quit, I think of what someone was willing to do for me, to save my life, and how if I quit I will let her down and waste the gift that she gave to me. That is not going to happen. You can help to motivate me more by letting me know that what I am doing is worth it and not letting me forget why I am here.

4. Complete the following statement: "I would be a better triathlete (athlete) if _______"
Seriously, we don't have the time for this kind of answer. Running is by far my greatest weakness. I do well on the bike and I am getting significantly better in the water. Not only do I dislike running, I am terrible at it. I need to get better at running, simply put.

2007-12-11 12:01 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

1. What do you want from this mentoring group?  Motivation! I get so down on myself an awful lot!! 

Nutritional advice if possible. I'm hopeless with eating right and portion sizes.

Help in making a workout plan suitable for my schedule.

Running technique advice 

2. What do you believe is your ONE largest obstacle in the coming season and how do you plan on overcoming it?

My lack of running skills, and proper training knowledge.  

3. What motivates you? How do you motivate yourself on those bad days? How can I help motivate you more?

All the numbers and medals and photographs I've saved and put on a board motivates me.  Getting healthier and having others being proud of me also does it. Losing a pant size has also.

4. Complete the following statement: "I would be a better triathlete (athlete) if _______"

I had better training knowledge and more time.

2007-12-11 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
1. What do you want from this mentoring group?

help with training program and what to do between races and events

not getting burned out and or finding the time to do other things like go to my lake house - and planing aginst work trips

competition. knowing that i put my time in to be the best. making sure i do the work out... it may not be the best bike ever but a 10-20 mile ride is better then nothing

i were smaller. Im 6'2 220 currentley and 200 last season. I know im never going to be 1st overall in anything but clidesdale so i might as well go for staying above 200lbs.
2007-12-11 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
monday - chest - 23 min 2.51 mile treadmill run
Tuesday - legs - plyometric
Wed - Back
Thursday - Swim 500m
Friday - Arms
Sat - sholders - 60 min bike ride
sun - off - house work
2007-12-11 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1094865

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
pipscweek - 2007-12-11 11:05 AM
ADollar79 - 2007-12-10 4:53 PM

Ok, I might be silly, but I can't tell where the IT band connects in the knee to know if that's the problem.  Hmm, let's see if I can describe this.  I had a patellar tendon graft on my right knee.  It's just to the inside from my scar and it feels like the top of bone, which I'm assuming is my tibia.  It's not a sharp pain, but it constantly feels sore and achey, increasing when I bike and run.

I'm working with my podiatrist on orthotics for the run, but I've now gone through three pairs and something still isn't feeling right with my foot, which he thinks aggravates the knee pain.  Next step is custom orthotics for a pretty penny or more...

I haven't gotten fitted on the bike with various excuses, the main one being money.  That's next coming from my savings plan.

Though I have NO medical experience, I think we can rule out IT bands.  IT problems are a very common triathlon injury that have sidelined a number of people.  They typically flare up in your glutes/hip area or on the lateral side of your knee.  And trust me, you will KNOW when you have that problem. 

I am not sure what to say about your injury.  It could be something as simple as runner's knee or scar tissue.  You might consider posting something in the Health & Injuries forum.  I am not certain that you will get any answers as knee issues are just really tricky.  However, there are a number of ortho surgeons on this board that will likely chime in. 

2007-12-11 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Taking a look at the answers you all provided, I see a few themes that nearly everyone has in common (including myself)

1.  Balance.  How to strike a life balance between the sport and things you love (kids, skiing, weight lifting, etc).   This is a HUGE issue. 

2.  Race Preparation.  What to look forward to as you approach a race, what to bring, what to do when you arrive, what to do in transition, etc. 

3.  Nutrition.  How to fuel your body properly for working out?  How to fuel your body properly post workouts?  How to fuel your body for weight loss. 

4.  Training Properly.  How do you structure a plan specifically for you?  What do you do between events?  How do you prevent burnout?  When do you know that you are overtraining?  How do you continue to push yourself? 

These are all CRUCIAL components to both short and long term success in this sport.  I have a number of thoughts on each of these that I am more than happy to share.  And each of these are things I face every season....including right now.  I am currently pulling together some resources on each of the topics.  I hope to post them in the next day or so.

I think this framework will provide a great spring board for us.   Feel free to chime in with other questions and topics as we go....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  

of 31