General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Tethers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-02 3:41 PM

Riverside, CA
Subject: Swim Tethers

I'm thinking about getting a swim tether to supplement my swimming at home when I just can't get to the pool at the gym.  Do they work well?  How do you actually select one (are they different tensions based on your weight and ability level)?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!

2008-10-03 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1713048

Riverside, CA
Subject: RE: Swim Tethers
Anybody???
2008-10-03 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I'll try and help.  I havent used one, but followed a thread from earlier this summer.  If you do a forum search under 'swim tether' you should find it.  From what I remember the riptide is a good one.  It is a pair of shoes that are attahced, not your waste.  They're a bit more $$ but the people who have used it say it works well.  You may want to get a smaller size shoe from what I gathered.

Someone also came up w/ a frugal idea that I plan on trying next summer and thats using 3 old bicycle tubes tied together and around your waste.  I figured I'd give this a try since you can use old tubes that most shops would just throw away.

2008-10-03 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA

I have one. It is like this and I think I have the red tubing.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf_id=661000&gift=False&0=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetitive%20Swim&1=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D5%26menu_id%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CTraining&2=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D52%26menu_id%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CResistance%20Training&HSLB=False&mscssid=0AF474C49679C4AA2979B45679EF1792

(sorry for the long link i don't know how to hotlink text). 

I have used it in my condo pool.  it's not too bad - kind of hard   awkward at first to get used to, but it definitely works and it creates good resistance.  you basically swim out and i think your swimming ability/strength can make it harder or easier for you. I'm a pretty strong swimmer and it provides a good workout. 

For me, it is like the treadmill -  20, 30 min tops and I'm done.  I also had to mix up freestyle with breaststroke, as i got a little bored.  but that's just me.  For $30 or whatever it's definitely worth it and yes, you get a workout from it - no complaints.

Edited by shrano 2008-10-03 2:16 PM
2008-10-03 7:54 PM

User image

I have the Riptide and it works well. Like the previous post said it is to swimming what a treadmill is to running, very boring, but it does allow you to swim contineously in your home pool.
2008-10-03 8:08 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I used one once.  It was pretty cool but takes a bit of getting used to.  Hmmm, might have to remind my favorite pool piglet to get them back out!

2009-07-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1716470

User image

Champion
PA
shrano - 2008-10-03 3:01 PM

I have one. It is like this and I think I have the red tubing.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf_id=661000&gift=False&0=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetitive%20Swim&1=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D5%26menu_id%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CTraining&2=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D52%26menu_id%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CResistance%20Training&HSLB=False&mscssid=0AF474C49679C4AA2979B45679EF1792

(sorry for the long link i don't know how to hotlink text). 

I have used it in my condo pool.  it's not too bad - kind of hard   awkward at first to get used to, but it definitely works and it creates good resistance.  you basically swim out and i think your swimming ability/strength can make it harder or easier for you. I'm a pretty strong swimmer and it provides a good workout. 

For me, it is like the treadmill -  20, 30 min tops and I'm done.  I also had to mix up freestyle with breaststroke, as i got a little bored.  but that's just me.  For $30 or whatever it's definitely worth it and yes, you get a workout from it - no complaints.

I know this is an old thread but I'm a newbie and I used the search function.  I use a tether but it is like having a bungie around your waist.  What happens is that you tend to pull yourself forward and when you roll for air, it pulls you a bit backward and you go more negative in the water than you would if you were in OW.  Does anyone else experience this with their tether systems?  If not, I want to switch because I have a pool and I need to take advantage of it for the majority of my training.  When I have had an opportunity to swim in OW, I find it much easier than with a tether because I can breath much easier.
2009-07-07 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
A friend let me try out his swim tether, but found out real fast that I didn't like them. I liked the way they strapped around my feet and ankles as opposed to my waist. I didn't like the elastic bands and wondered if a cable type tether would be better (I think the Riptide uses a cable). My problem was that no matter how I attached the tether either low in the water or out of the water on a ladder handrail, when I stretched the tethers out I felt like I was being dragged under water. After only a few tries with them I gave up so maybe I was doing something wrong.
2009-07-08 12:26 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I exclusively train on a tether, and I really like it.  Sure, I might get a little faster if I were to hit a lap pool occasionally, but I'm pretty much in a maintain mode for the swim.  Thirty to sixty minutes a week on the tether keeps me in the top 5-10% finish on the swim in my races, which is good enough for me.

The tether I picked up is intended to attach to the feet/ankles, but I hated that setup.  So I dug out an old, nylon scuba weight belt (sans weights) and hooked the tether up to that.  Much better hooked up to the waist.

Swimming on a tether is essentially a sport-specific strength training session.  It will make you stronger.  I never used paddles when swimming in the past, but I'd guess it's somewhat similar as far as the results.  If you don't have decent swim form already, then you probably want to hit a lap pool, too, so that you can work on stroke and efficiency (drag reduction).  Swimming on a tether won't teach you how to cut down on drag, just increase forward thrust.

It is good for just going and practicing a swim of X minutes duration, whatever you are targeting for your next race.  No worries about turns and push-offs, and you can practice sighting, as well.  You won't be able to measure distance, so if that's a big concern then you will probably be bothered.  It's easy to do intervals, just go hard for a while, then back off, then back on, etc.  No problem doing breast stroke and back stroke to mix things up, too.  I do slide the belt around so that the cords attach in the front when I am doing back stroke, otherwise it gets a bit uncomfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Tethers Rss Feed