Roger Soler's Sports
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 27s
Overall Rank = 166/1118
Age Group = M40-45
Age Group Rank = 22/69
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Showed up around 5:20am racked my bike and layed out my transition. Since there is about a 1/4 mile run from the swim out to the transition area I brought my old tennis shoes to the swim area to put on after the swim. I had a gu and some water about 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Just swam a few out and backs in the ski lagoon. It was pretty dark.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt ok on the swim. I consciously backed off a bit since this was a little longer swim than my first two tris. I still turned in a decent time. I had a lot of trouble sighting since part of the course was marked by green floating alligators that blended in with the water, plus it was dark when we started.
What would you do differently?:

Working on sighting a bit. It was only my second open water swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 2s
Comments:

There was a 1/4 mile run from the swim to the transition area. I brought an extra pair of shoes for this run. I trotted up to the shoe stop just fine, but with wet feet the inserts in the shoes kept wadding up inside the shoe. I finally had to sit down and hold the inserts in place to get the shoes on. I figure this cost about a minute. It did let my heart rate drop a bit though.

Once I got to my bike, the transition was pretty smooth. My rack space was close to the bike out so I didn't have to run very far in my bike shoes.

Get a pair of shoes that will slip on wet feet.
Bike
  • 37m 38s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.73 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my very first time riding hills. I found the uphills to be somewhat challenging since I weigh quite a bit. (225 lbs) However, this worked in my favor on the downhill side. I found that getting into a decent aero tuck would allow me to pass most of the smaller people who could pass me on the uphills. My speedometer quit again in the race so I didn't get a decent reading, but I saw 32 mph at one point. I think I have finally figured out why the speedo quits on me every race so hopefully my next race I won't have this problem.

I saw a couple of people down on the side of the road. There were several sharp corners in the middle of downhills that could have been nasty if someone crashed in them. However, the two people I saw weren't near those corners. Hopefully, they got away with only a scrape or two.

Ride some hills before the race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I took my time on this transition to recover a little from the uphill right before the bike finish. I downed a gu and a bottle of water, donned my cap and shoes and took off. Fortunately, my rack spot was close to bike-in so I didn't have to run very far in my bike shoes.

Not much.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My nemesis rises again. Just when I thought I was done with the hills in this tri, I round the first corner on the run and start up a hill. Now I know alot of folks wouldn't find the hills on this tri challenging, but I train and live in Houston and I weigh alot. So this was quite uncomfortable to me. Given that, I still managed to average a decent pace for me, but still not up to my tempo workout pace. I dropped 7 lbs since my last tri and I dropped 15 seconds per mile even with hills. So, even though my run is still very slow, I think it was ok for where I am with weight and training so far. I still believe there is 5 or 6 minutes out there for me on the run.

I would've liked to push harder, but I don't think I was ready for it. Especially just getting off my first hilly bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and drank water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight on a hilly course is a killer. I'm working it down, but it was pretty punishing on the bike and run.

Event comments:

I thought the race was pretty well organized. There were a few questionable things like the shoe stop and the description of the swim course. But there was great traffic control, lots of volunteers, and lots of drinks and food. I thought it was a very well done event especially with 1100 people competing.

Last updated: 2005-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 800 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/69
Overall: 21/1118
Performance: Good
Average heart rate 179
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Circular course around 3 buoys and the ski ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 05:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:38 | 13 miles | 20.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/69
Overall: 194/1118
Average Heart rate 181
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap 6.5 mile hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:08 | 03.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/69
Overall: 412/1118
Course: Loop through Seaworld. The 2nd mile marker was nowhere near close to 2 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 7:10 PM

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Splash Triathlon @ Sea World

2005-09-18 8:38 PM
in reply to: #248835

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Splash Triathlon @ Sea World
Great job! Those are great swim and bike times and dropping time from your previous run....way to go! Thanks for sharing your race with us.

Diane
2005-09-19 7:58 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Great race, Brittain.  I'm 216 pounds, have done 6 sprints, and am WAY slower than you, so don't feel bad about the extra weight...you are kicking a$$!
2005-09-19 8:15 AM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Great race and report. I am a big boy too. Just hit 230. I would pay money for 9 min miles.
2005-09-19 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Round Rock, TX
Great race!! Wow, I'm really impressed with your averages. You kicked @ss out there!
2005-09-19 9:15 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-19 10:55 AM

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Outstanding race!  Congratulations on a good finish.  Your run time was awesome!

Edited by J9QUEEN 2005-09-19 10:55 AM
2005-09-19 6:28 PM

Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. It's always motivating to hear "Great Job!"

I have one more tri this season and then it will be back to the foundation training for next year.

Thanks!

Brittain
2005-09-20 8:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Triathlon @ Sea World Rss Feed