General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon (IronWishes race) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Health First Triathlon (IronWishes race) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Melbourne, FL
United States
Spcae Coast Triathletes
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am and got ready. I had everything packed and bike on car night before. On drive to pick up Don, had 2 double shots, bottle gatorade and bottle of water. I new it was going to be hot! Water temp was 84 and would probable be around 90 on the run. Got to race, got race packet and chip. Then went and got my bike and transition bag and setup for race.
Event warmup:

Was nervous about calf and did some extra stretching and massaging of it.Did some walking around and stretching. Then went down to look at water. Man a mile marked with buouys in the water looks like a long ways! Did some short jog with kicks and more stretching. Saw some friends and talked some. Then time to get in water about 6:45 to do a short warmup swim.
Swim
  • 38m 50s
  • 1637 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim could have went better, but I was happy with it. I had some of same breathing problem as first race, but was able to push through it. I started at back of my wave and didn't have any problems with room. Finally settled down last half of swim and went much better. I wanted to do under 40 mins and did that so no complaints. Did feel one of those little flying fish on my calf at one point that scared me a little :-)
What would you do differently?:

Just more swimming training. I've only been swimming for 5 months, so I will get better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Much better than last race. This included about a 100y run on wobbly legs. No problems with getting cycling jersey on this time (last race the zipper had inverted). Just took my time and had the items stacked in order to put on.

Maybe get tri shoes already on bike and get a tri top, but I wanted to wear my Make A Wish jersey this race.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 7s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went very well for me. 3 problems. First was after pouring accelerade in to aero bottle, I dropped it and lost about 1/4 bottle of it. I still had another bottle of gatorade though and had already drank a bottle of water. I also got a bottle of water at aid station that I ended up carrying for the run. Second problem was on second half the bike would skip the gear I wanted so I had to go low cadence of 80 in bigger gear for a while and then lower gear at 100 cadence for a while back and forth switching either when legs got a little sore or breathing hard in high cadence. Third was the HR monitor wasn't working ob bike so had to go on RPE. Not a real big deal, but would have liked to know that data for future reference.

I did a good job of hydrating. I had to re-hydrate from swim and I new the run would be very hot. I went slower on the causeways than in training since I knew I still had to run and it wouldn't make a big difference in my overall time. I also stopped once to give someone a C02 cartridge. I asked if they needed anything when I went by.

Just more bike training to get up over 20mph at lower HR. Only been biking 6 months so it will come.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

No problems other than volunteer had to remind me to get race belt with number.

Nothing really, just practice to get faster.
Run
  • 1h 21m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I got off the bike around 2:03 and thought that if I could do 10min miles and push last mile I could break 3 hours. That lasted about 1/4 miel. Man was it hot!!!! I could only run about 1/4mile at a time before HR sored to 170 and would have to walk to get it down. Did this the first 4 miles. It seemed like it took forever to get to the first mile marker. When I got there, I was like 5 more of these :-) Every once in a while I would think about those Make A Wish kids and that hlped me to keep going. It was hot and my HR was high. I carried a water bottle from bike it was so hot. I had it refilled twice and got two cups over head and drank two cups at 5 aid stations. My jersey was hot, but wanted to wear it since a lot of people had pledged money for this race to Make A Wish. Did I say it was hot yet :-)

I saw my wife around mile 2.5 and she ran with me a little ways encouraging me. That really helped. Then saw daughter and parents. This was a long time for them to be all be out in this heat and I really appreciated them being there.

About mile 4 coming down the first time over causeway, my HR finally settled down and I was able to run most of the last two miles. Just walked at aid stations and one other time before last time over causeway.

Get IronWish tri top instead of cycling jersey. More run training. The thing is, my legs were fine. They aren't that sore even the next day. I just don't have a good aerobic engine yet. So will do some run focus this summer with low HR runs to get ready for the Disney Oly in Sep.
Post race
Warm down:

They handed out cold water bottles at finish and drakn it and walked while talking to family. Found some grapes. Not much food other than bagels and banans and grapes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just training. I've only been doing tri training for 6 months.

Event comments:

After my first sprint in April, I was kind of depressed. After this race, I feel great and proud. Even though I was very slow and way BOP, I moved for 2.5 straight hours :-) Pretty unbelievable.

Great small race. Less than 300 people. IT is an USAT event, so lots of fast people there! I felt my swim and bike went as planned and the run was just too hot! Plus I haven't ran over 5 miles in a month because of getting sick and long bikes on Sat messing up long run on Sunday. Will be changing that schedule.

Last updated: 2004-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:50 | 1637 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: salt water river with buouys marking route in a long oval.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:07 | 24.8 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: first half was winding course through some neighborhoods. Second half was over Pineda causeway down to Eau Gallie causeway. 2 causeways to cross.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:21:03 | 06.2 miles | 13m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: I almost got dizzy from all the turns and loops in first half through neighborhood :-) Second half out and back over causeway. HAd to go over causeway twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-06-14 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: Health First Triathlon (IronWishes race)

2004-06-14 11:06 AM
in reply to: #31245

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Health First TRiathlon
Congrats and it sounds like a better race than your first and an Olympic distance at that.  Awesome.  I think your times are excellent and the fundraising efforts are pretty impressive.  You did this for a very good cause, the distances amaze me.  You worked hard for this and it paid off.
2004-06-14 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Health First TRiathlon
Great job, and enjoyed your race report. My upcoming race will be the first that my family (the whole she-bang!) attends, and I'm soooo looking forward to that!

Congrats, Cameron!

Dana
2004-06-14 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Health First Triathlon (IronWishes race)
Excellent job! You should be proud!! Congratulations!

Kelly
2004-06-14 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Great job, Cameron. Just keep learning at every race. 94 degrees is HOT, and tough to run in. Tough luck on the gearing - that probably took more out of you than you think. Smart idea to swap between high/low cadence.
2004-06-14 6:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats! I've only been training for 6 months as well, but I couldn't even begin to imagine competing in an oly. Mi chapeau.

2004-06-15 3:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-15 6:56 AM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
great race, thanx for the report!
2004-06-15 8:49 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support. Triathlons for the most part seems to be a great community with tons of support. I learned a lot from this race to help me for the Disney oly in Sep and will take that with me. This was a trmendous experience!

Thanks again everyone!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon (IronWishes race) Rss Feed