Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-29 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Dave Scott and IM Nutrition
Excellent interview with Dave Scott over on IronmanTalk:

http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.html

He basically agrees what I have always contended that the majority of IM athletes mess up their race day nutrition from trying to take in too many calories and too much fluid. If you have ever had IM GI problems or if you are a slave to certain calorie per hour formulas, have a listen, it will set you free!

2008-05-29 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1431849

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Dave Scott and IM Nutrition

Interesting. My last real long ride coming into IMCDA last week I ate when I felt the need and drank when I felt the need.

Ended up around 350 calories per hour average. Some hours more, some less. But I felt GREAT and had a great run off the bike.

The next 3 weeks will be "untied from the schedule".

2008-05-30 11:11 AM

Master
portland, or
bryancd - 2008-05-29 12:50 PM

Excellent interview with Dave Scott over on IronmanTalk:

http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.html

He basically agrees what I have always contended that the majority of IM athletes mess up their race day nutrition from trying to take in too many calories and too much fluid. If you have ever had IM GI problems or if you are a slave to certain calorie per hour formulas, have a listen, it will set you free!

I interpreted his comments a little differently. I understood him to say that some people eat too much too early on the bike or in T1, and that some athletes think they need to replace every calorie they're burning.

Personally I don't take in any calories until 20 - 30 minutes into the bike, but I do have a goal of 350-400 calories per hour once I start to ingest them (I DON'T try to make up for those first 30 minutes by taking in 400 in the next 30).

I feel it's important that athletes test their nutrition plan under harsh conditions. ie: while doing hard intervals, on hot training days, big bricks. If you struggle to get your nutrition down and/or have GI issues under those situations, you may want to reconsider your strategy for race day.

I also feel that caloric needs are highly individual. I'm 6'6", 190 pounds. I have a teammate who's qualified for Kona a couple of times and can't weigh more then 145 pounds, but takes in as much or more then I do per hour.

Anyway, it was great interview.

scott
2008-05-30 11:43 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

bryancd - 2008-05-29 3:50 PM Excellent interview with Dave Scott over on IronmanTalk: http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.htmlHe basically agrees what I have always contended that the majority of IM athletes mess up their race day nutrition from trying to take in too many calories and too much fluid. If you have ever had IM GI problems or if you are a slave to certain calorie per hour formulas, have a listen, it will set you free!

Yup IMO AGers tend to over do their nutrition and part of the problem I think it is because we have based our nutritional needs on guidelines (presented in different venues) which were mostly developed based on what the Pros need when racing (i.e. eat 60 gr of carbs per hour). The needs of a Pro will be VERY different to the needs AGer who will be racing at a much lower intensity although for a longer time.

Pros will require more cals per hour because the intensity at which they perform burns more energy hence they need more fuel to keep them going while AGers will require less fuel per hour because the racing intensity will be lower. And even though the total cals needs for the event might be higher for the AGer due to the longer time they will spend on the course the cals x hour will most likely be lower.

To illustrate this let’s use an example: lets’ say a pro will race at 80% of his LT hence he’ll consume 350 cals per hr (just to use a number) for 8 hrs hence he’ll consume 2800 cals for the race. An AGer OTOH will race at 70% of his LT for 13 hrs hence the cals needs per hrs will be lower let’s say 250 for a total of 3250 cals for the entire race.

IOW, don’t eat like a pro unless you plan to race like one

2008-05-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1433228

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

yaqui - 2008-05-30 12:11 PM
bryancd - 2008-05-29 12:50 PM Excellent interview with Dave Scott over on IronmanTalk: http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.htmlHe basically agrees what I have always contended that the majority of IM athletes mess up their race day nutrition from trying to take in too many calories and too much fluid. If you have ever had IM GI problems or if you are a slave to certain calorie per hour formulas, have a listen, it will set you free!
I interpreted his comments a little differently. I understood him to say that some people eat too much too early on the bike or in T1, and that some athletes think they need to replace every calorie they're burning. Personally I don't take in any calories until 20 - 30 minutes into the bike, but I do have a goal of 350-400 calories per hour once I start to ingest them (I DON'T try to make up for those first 30 minutes by taking in 400 in the next 30). I feel it's important that athletes test their nutrition plan under harsh conditions. ie: while doing hard intervals, on hot training days, big bricks. If you struggle to get your nutrition down and/or have GI issues under those situations, you may want to reconsider your strategy for race day. I also feel that caloric needs are highly individual. I'm 6'6", 190 pounds. I have a teammate who's qualified for Kona a couple of times and can't weigh more then 145 pounds, but takes in as much or more then I do per hour. Anyway, it was great interview. scott

LOL, you know I'm 135 lbs and 5'4" and my coach has had me taking in 350-400 calories per hour on the bike and it's worked perfectly. I start at about the 30 min mark and I end with about 30 min to go and I get in the neighborhood of 350-370 (never could get to that 400 mark) and feel great- both my bricks have been good. Once I am on the run it's only about 200 calories tops per hour.

Since it's working so well, I'm not messing with it. BUT, I do remember last year when I was HIM training, I feel like I was totally taking in to many calories at once. I was averaging probably the same amount, but I was eating foods with bigger hunks of calories and that was killing my stomach. Getting simple sugars through easily digestable food has worked better for me.

I'll have to try and listen to the podcast...

2008-05-30 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
thanks for the link - will have to give a listen.  he has a nutrition dvd out also, which I was tempted to buy but never did

2008-05-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1433332

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
amiine - 2008-05-30 12:43 PM

bryancd - 2008-05-29 3:50 PM Excellent interview with Dave Scott over on IronmanTalk: http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.htmlHe basically agrees what I have always contended that the majority of IM athletes mess up their race day nutrition from trying to take in too many calories and too much fluid. If you have ever had IM GI problems or if you are a slave to certain calorie per hour formulas, have a listen, it will set you free!

Yup IMO AGers tend to over do their nutrition and part of the problem I think it is because we have based our nutritional needs on guidelines (presented in different venues) which were mostly developed based on what the Pros need when racing (i.e. eat 60 gr of carbs per hour). The needs of a Pro will be VERY different to the needs AGer who will be racing at a much lower intensity although for a longer time.

Pros will require more cals per hour because the intensity at which they perform burns more energy hence they need more fuel to keep them going while AGers will require less fuel per hour because the racing intensity will be lower. And even though the total cals needs for the event might be higher for the AGer due to the longer time they will spend on the course the cals x hour will most likely be lower.

To illustrate this let’s use an example: lets’ say a pro will race at 80% of his LT hence he’ll consume 350 cals per hr (just to use a number) for 8 hrs hence he’ll consume 2800 cals for the race. An AGer OTOH will race at 70% of his LT for 13 hrs hence the cals needs per hrs will be lower let’s say 250 for a total of 3250 cals for the entire race.

IOW, don’t eat like a pro unless you plan to race like one

Great post Jorge.  I think where AGers (including me) get into trouble is when they establish their nutrition based on training pace.  They then get into the race and out pace their nutrition.  As they go faster, they can't process the same number of calories.  It usually gets blamed as a nutrition problem, when it's really a pace/fitness/nutrition problem.  This year I've been much more conscious to test nutrition when going at closer to race pace - high z2 or low z3 instead of z1/z2.   Your thoughts?

Ernie

2008-05-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1434180

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
ejc999 - 2008-05-30 3:34 PM

Great post Jorge.  I think where AGers (including me) get into trouble is when they establish their nutrition based on training pace.  They then get into the race and out pace their nutrition.  As they go faster, they can't process the same number of calories.  It usually gets blamed as a nutrition problem, when it's really a pace/fitness/nutrition problem.  This year I've been much more conscious to test nutrition when going at closer to race pace - high z2 or low z3 instead of z1/z2.   Your thoughts?

Ernie

hey Ernie! You are approaching this correctly, test your nutrition during a race rehearsal (or long rides/runs) at or near race pace, then you'll know if you are 1) consuming enough fuel given your training intensity and 2) make sure you can handle that fueling plan.

Good luck at your IM

2008-05-31 6:19 PM
in reply to: #1434759

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
amiine - 2008-05-30 8:58 PM

ejc999 - 2008-05-30 3:34 PM

Ernie

hey Ernie! You are approaching this correctly, test your nutrition during a race rehearsal (or long rides/runs) at or near race pace, then you'll know if you are 1) consuming enough fuel given your training intensity and 2) make sure you can handle that fueling plan.

Good luck at your IM

x3, great insight and observation.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dave Scott and IM Nutrition Rss Feed