General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-14 8:04 PM

User image

Easton
Subject: Tri Bike or Road bike

Can anyone offer suggestions on which type of bike to buy: Triathlon bike or Road bike. I'm new to the world of triathlons. I'm looking to purchase first bike and wanted to know which direction to go. I anticipate using the bike for Sprints but as I gain experience I might decide to go longer. My first Tri is a sprint in august but have really enjoyed the experience and look to do many more.

Please offer of the pro's and con's other either bike.

2008-07-15 12:32 AM
in reply to: #1529562

New user

East Valley Arizona
Subject: RE: Tri Bike or Road bike

I'm new to the triathlons as well. The first triathlon I did, I completed in a mountain bike, and I voed to never again.

Check this weblink out. I'm in the same boat as you and I found this "blurb," to be pretty helpful.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=435

From what I've researched it's all about what you want to spend. Road bikes from what I've found seem to be less expensive than triathlon bikes. Everyone has their preference as to what brand, so go out to you're local bike shops and sit on them, get a feel for them.

Also too, you can save a lot of money by purchasing a bike online, BUT you lose those special "perks," i.e. lifetime tune ups and special warrenties that you would get if you were to buy a bike from your local bike shop.

I know this probably hasn't helped you but if it has RIGHT ON and GOOD LUCK in August.

JT3

2008-07-15 12:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I decided to get back into triathlon's again after a 12 year break.  I bought a road bike to use during winter (Southern Hemisphere) and intend to buy a tri-bike before the season starts in November.

Pro's of tri-bike:

You'll save time as you'll be more aerodynamic
Your legs will feel better off the run (has to do with the geometry of tri-frames)
You will feel like a million dollars on you new choice tri-bike Laughing
Con's
Price!!  Although that may not apply to you in the states as you have loads of tri specific shops compared to New Zealand
2008-07-15 1:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-15 2:23 PM

I  was in the same situation and went with the Cervelo Soloist Team.  This is a road bike that allows for minor adjustments of the seat and seat post, which then gives the geometry of a Tri bike. 

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=SLT2008

2008-07-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1531232

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

gvey - 2008-07-15 2:21 PM I bought a road bike first, then less than a year later, I bought my tri bike. The road bike has been gathering dust ever since. That said, I love triathlons...I don't do group rides and pretty much all my training is done on my tri bike. Maybe see about borrowing or renting a bike just to see if you're really going to love triathlon. Afterwards, make your decision.

x2.

Last eyar I bought a road bike (per the reccomendation of a local bike bike shop) I wish I had jsut went ahead and bought the tri bike.  But, 1 year later I am selling my road and buying a new tri bike.  If you think this is something that you will stick with and not just a phase, go for the tri bike.

2008-07-15 2:30 PM

Veteran
Chaska, MN

lcl,

Do you like that bike?  It appears to be the best of both worlds?  That's the first I've heard of a bike that could be modified to have correct geometry to suit both needs.

2008-07-15 2:31 PM

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
I've heard many different opinions on this topic
Personally, i use a road bike, with some modifications (wheels and aerobars), but i find it works better for me--especially on hillier bike segments of certain triathlons. I've done a good bit of sprint tris with it and it hasn't failed me yet! Plus, i just really can't afford the tri bikes in one big chunk of money!
I will say though, I'm don't doubt the geometry of the tri-bikes will def. help the way your legs feel coming off the bike and transitioning to the run, especially on longer triathlon races!
2008-07-15 2:54 PM

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I think I would miss out on a lot if I didn't get a road bike first. I bought a tri bike in November and while I don't regret it, I would if it were my only bike. Sometimes its nice to go out on a leisurely ride in the country or through the hills and enjoy the scenery and the sounds. From the aero position, it is hard to do those things. You can't really get up and look around so much. It's possible, it's just not comfortable for long periods of time.

It will also limit your ability to ride in groups. Tri-bikes are twitchy handlers and if you are new to them, you may find it hard to ride in a group. Most roadies don't like TT bikes out there among them, but TT bikes don't cause accidents. It's when people to unexpected things that TT bikes get wrecked. Keep in mind that your only access to your breaks are when you are riding the bullhorns - if you are aero your hands are on the shifters.

That being said - if you only want to compete in tris and go fast all the time, a TT/tri bike will be good for you. Prices on TT bikes are very similar to road bikes nowadays, but you won't find a $300 tri bike at Wal-Mart.
2008-07-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1531460

Rheya's Assassin.......I just got the bike last weekend, so only have a couple rides thus far.  From what I can tell, I'm really gone to enjoy this bike....it's fast! 
2008-07-15 7:27 PM

Easton

Thank you all for your input.  I went to a professional cycle fitter and he suggested a road bike that has two seat positions.  One for road trips and one forward for Triathlons.  He made similar comments about the inability to ride outside of Triathlons.  He also said that Tri bikes aren't designed for hilly courses and they are tricky in crowds.  I really wanted a Tri but I think he has convinced me to go with one that can do both.

I'm going shopping this weekend.  Maybe I'll see you on the road in the upcoming weeks.

good luck with your training.

2008-07-15 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1532191

Expert
VolTriathlete - 2008-07-15 7:27 PM

Thank you all for your input.  I went to a professional cycle fitter and he suggested a road bike that has two seat positions.  One for road trips and one forward for Triathlons.  He made similar comments about the inability to ride outside of Triathlons.  He also said that Tri bikes aren't designed for hilly courses and they are tricky in crowds.  I really wanted a Tri but I think he has convinced me to go with one that can do both.

I'm going shopping this weekend.  Maybe I'll see you on the road in the upcoming weeks.

good luck with your training.

FWIW: I'm a bike racer doing Tri's. I did my first Tri on my road racing bike fitted with clip ons. It was a hilly course and crowded. The manouverability of the road bike actually worked to my advantage and made the climbing easier. Its also alot safer during group rides...

I also have a TT/Tri bike, the GURU Trilite that I love! Did a Tri this past weekend that had a brutal starting climb. I got killed on the climb but when we hit the main course the wind beat down the rest while I zipped by slicing through the wind.

Its a tough choice. If you're only doing Tri's it seems to make sense to only train on a Tri bike as My buddy Mark does but a Road bike is very versatile. Just remember that whichever way you go invest in a better frame and you can always upgrade the components later...

Eric J

2008-07-15 10:57 PM

Master
Chandler, Arizona
I got a road bike and I'm loving it. I'm new to cycling and this is my first season doing triathlon. I guess I don't know the difference but I'm planning on getting a tri bike within the next two years. I eventually want to race HIM's and IM's and while these distances can be covered on a road bike I think a tri bike would be much better.

I went with a road bike to gain some experience cycling while I train for triathlon.

I have no plans on getting rid of my road bike though.
2008-07-15 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1532191

2008-07-16 12:20 AM

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Any of y'all who are looking to get rid of those road bikes collecting dust, I could be convinced to give it a good home. You know, if you need that room, or whatever...
2008-07-16 12:38 AM

I'm dealing with the same quandry now.  All my coworkers who go on long rides on the weekends are trying to convince me to by a road bike, "because a tri bike is uncomfortable."  However, I only want to get a nice bike to do triathlons.  It makes the decision making pretty easyLaughing

2008-07-16 12:34 PM

Ok, let me play the devil's advocate a little bit. Why do you want the Tri bike? Becasue everyone else is riding one? Does the geometry really help in the run? No doubt aero is useful, I buy this premise. But I am not sold on the geometry helps in the run. I am really leaning toward road bike w/ aero bars. Someone sell the Tri bike route. I am really not trying to be difficult but I am just not sold on a Tri bike being the end all.
2008-07-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1534111

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
5stones - 2008-07-16 1:34 PM

Ok, let me play the devil's advocate a little bit. Why do you want the Tri bike? Becasue everyone else is riding one? Does the geometry really help in the run? No doubt aero is useful, I buy this premise. But I am not sold on the geometry helps in the run. I am really leaning toward road bike w/ aero bars. Someone sell the Tri bike route. I am really not trying to be difficult but I am just not sold on a Tri bike being the end all.

Good point - there seems to be a lot of controversy around this idea. Has this theory been positively debunked? I don't know - but there are enough coaches on this site saying a tri bike does NOT make you feel better on the run that I would question it as well. I'd be interested to read some peer reviewed journal articles on the subject.
2008-07-17 8:34 AM

2008-07-17 10:45 AM

Master
Bellevue, WA
I've posted on this subject numerous times as have a number of other people.

I have both road bike and a tri bike. In short, my not-so-humble opinions are this are:

1. Tri bikes only for triathlons? Bunk. I ride with my tri team, ride solo, train on it, ride in groups, etc. Thousands of miles.

2. Tri bikes harder to ride in groups? Yeah, a little. Just a bit. Not a lot. Mostly it's because you only have two positions on tri bike bars - aero or on the horns - and that's just not as comfortable as the three positions on road bikes (on the flats, on the hoods, or on the drops). So riding along in a social group setting just isn't as comfortable.

And there are various group rides in some parts of the country that are (IMHO) snobby on the subject and only want road bikes. They sometimes claim a safety issue about aerobars which is (as you guessed I'd say) bunk. Yeah, you shouldn't ride aero in groups - just like you shouldn't ride on clip-on aerobars in groups either.

3. Tri bikes bad on hills? Mostly bunk. It is more comfortable to climb hills on a road bar on the flats than on a aerobar on the horns. So you can sit up just a tad more, which opens up the hip angle a tad more which makes you engage a different set of muscles a tad more, and the 73 vs. 78 degree seat angle is also a tad more open. Does this make a real difference? I regularly climb 10% 2 mile grades, and I say not really.

4. Tri bikes save your legs for the run? Bunk. 78 degree seat angle vs. 73 degree seat angle doesn't make that big a difference.

5. Tri bikes good for aero position? Yeah, exactly. That's what they're good for. In fact, it's the only real difference. It's the what they're designed for. It's what they do. It's why you buy one. It's the only real reason to buy one (other than you want one). So you can stay 50 miles in the aero position, on the aerobars, with the bar end shifters, hammering away. That's why they're called time trial bikes by roadies, and that's why the Tour de France riders ride a road bike everywhere except time trials, when they switch to time trial bikes, aero helmets, skinsuits, etc.

So if you want a bike to ride Olympic or half or longer triathlons, don't mind the occasional snobby attitude from some roadies, and plan to ride aero a lot, a tri bike is for you. Or if you just want one, of course. "Want" outweighs all sorts of logic, doesn't it?

If you want to ride mostly sprints, don't plan on riding aero a lot, want to do a lot of social group riding, and the like, then you should probably go with a road bike.

I'll add that I think a tri bike makes a great second bike when your first bike is a road bike. It's just sort of expensive that way.

Edited by brucemorgan 2008-07-17 10:49 AM
2008-07-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1534111

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

5stones - 2008-07-16 12:34 PM Ok, let me play the devil's advocate a little bit. Why do you want the Tri bike? Becasue everyone else is riding one? Does the geometry really help in the run? No doubt aero is useful, I buy this premise. But I am not sold on the geometry helps in the run. I am really leaning toward road bike w/ aero bars. Someone sell the Tri bike route. I am really not trying to be difficult but I am just not sold on a Tri bike being the end all.

But in triathlon cycling, aero is king. You really need no other reason.

2008-07-17 12:49 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
I really think you should look hard at the soloist.  Great bike that does both reasonably VERY well.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2008-07-17 12:49 PM
2008-07-17 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1536681

2008-07-17 7:19 PM

My vote is for the road bike, especailly if youre just getting into the sport. Riding on a road bike allows you to have access to group rides whenever you want and also makes climbing/descending hills a little easier/more enjoyable. Its true that some aero advantages will be lost by using a road bike with aerobars, but I strongly believe that you will spend more time on the bike if its a road bike.
2008-07-17 7:50 PM

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
If you have a pretty good idea what size bike you'll fit, take a look around at used bikes. I was able to pick up a used Tri bike earlier this year. Spent about 1/3 of what a new model would have cost for a two year old bike with 300 miles on it that looks brand new. I was able to spend a lot less than I planned and get a lot more bike. I found it on the classified adds of my local cycling club. I was unsure about the Tri bike, but figured that I would be able to sell it for about the same price if I didn't like it.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Road bike Rss Feed  

of 2