General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness goals -- helpful? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-20 4:36 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Fitness goals -- helpful?
Have you found that setting a goal, like a triathlon, makes a big difference in your success with maintaining exercise? This may be a stupid question, but let me explain why I am asking. I am a doctor (general internal medicine), and spend a lot of time counseling patients regarding exercise and diet. In attempting to maintain a regular exercise program myself, I have found it to be extremely helpful for me to set a concrete goal, such as participating in MS 150, a century, or a triathlon. It has made a bigger difference in maintaining my own regular exercise plan than anything I have done before. I have started adding this to my exercise counseling. For many patients, it may be a smaller goal, such as walking a 5K, or perhaps a local 20 mile fun ride, but the point is to have something to train for.

I am wondering if this is just me, or if others have seen a major benefit from setting goals like this? I would love to hear some success stories!

2008-08-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1617280

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Fitness goals -- helpful?
Oh, yeah, most definitely.  And don't just say you're going to do it.  Register.  Something about having paid that entry fee does it for me.  And while I've always been active it's not been to the level this summer has been for me.  Something changed this year and now I'm addicted.  To exercise. To racing.  This summer started with a 2 day mountain bike ride called Fat Tire Classic in Winter Park.  Then I did the My Way or the Tri Way and will end my event season with Buffalo Bicycle Classic in a couple of weeks.  Each one has given me new goals, new excitement and new rewards.  It's now like a drug and I need my fix. 
2008-08-20 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Having a goal definitely helps. The goal determines what kind of training plan to follow and motivates you so that you are able to not just complete an event, but to do it comfortably, to do it well, or even to be competetive.
2008-08-20 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Having a race definitely helps me to get out and train.  If I didn't have that, I doubt I'd do much of anything.
2008-08-20 5:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-20 5:09 PM

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
I've found goal setting to be extremely helpful in my fitness. First it was a 5K run. And then a mini-sprint, a sprint, an Olympic tri, and a half Marathon (in Sept).

Has it helped? Well, I've lost 105 lbs, quit smoking for over a year, dropped my blood pressure, and my resting heart rate is now below 50. I'm 38 yo and in the best shape of my life. But I'm not done. Not even close.......

CC

2008-08-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1617327

Lafayette, CO
JeepFleeb - 2008-08-20 5:01 PM

So it can be helpful but you need to pair up the person, the goal and the timeline carefully.

VERY key I think!  Setting the goal to something that is attainable in the somewhat near future makes it much easier to use for motivation.  Even if the long term goal is an IM in 3 years having interim goals of a sprint, oly, HIM etc can help feed the motivation with endorphins.  

Also, wanted to add kudos to the OP for doing this kind of counseling with your patients.  I've often heard the "Get more exercise" line but nothing more than that.  By working with your patients to create goals and strategies that are attainable you are providing a far more valuable service than many doctors do.  

2008-08-20 5:35 PM

Expert
Madison
I totally agree that it can help - I have never been an athlete then I worked hard to lose about 30 lbs. last year. I started exercising and found that having something to work towards would keep me in shape and keep the weight off. I'm doing my third sprint on Saturday and specifically signed up for three this summer to keep pushing myself. When those are done, I'm going to work on doing some local runs and maybe even a half marathon next year. Without those goals, I'd probably get out the doritos and watch some TV......
2008-08-20 5:47 PM

Master
PA

I'm a huge huge believer in goal setting.   I tell people all the time that there are no unrealistic goals, only unrealistic timeframes.   It is absolutely astounding to me when you make goals, and then commit to them, how life mysteriously aligns with the target.  I believe in writing fairly developed, well thought out goals (i.e. not as simple as 'Run a 5K in under 25 mins', which is the way my long term goals are written on BT).  Here's something on goals I wrote from a thread on weight loss a few months ago. (obviously could be for anything)...

...Goal setting helps a ton.  Write them out, put them on your fridge & mirror, read them 5x/day.  Write what weight you will be by whatever date.  Write it in the present tense like it's already happened and tie some emotions to it.  Like how great it feels to weigh x and how thrilled you are that through discipline & commitment you healthfully got to this weight.  How awesome it is to run at this weight, etc. etc....

Also, here is a quote that a great BT'er sent me that was from the top of one of the BT forums.

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative or creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: the moment one definitely commits oneself, then . . . a whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 

2008-08-20 6:29 PM

Weston, FL
I also have been recommending this to my patients. I'm a Pediatric Cardiologist and see many children and adolescents who are obese that have hypertension and/or hypercholesterolemia. At times I give them a 5 K race near their home to enter. Since doing this I have seen an improvement in weight loss in these children. I do believe that you need a goal with a plan. I also include a parent who most of time are obese themselves.
2008-08-20 7:25 PM

Expert
Virginia
i think it's key for me to have a race as a goal.  it's why i ended up doing so many races this year and why it'll probably be the same next year.  when i have a race on the calendar and i've registered for it it becomes the focus and drive for the training. by the end of this year i plan to have accomplished two firsts - first sprint triathlon and first 10k.  it's really all because i set the goal and registered for the races and trained for them.  sound advice!

2008-08-20 7:40 PM

For me--a total noob--setting race-related goal(s) has been far more effective than just setting a goal weight. I have a short term goal of a 5k in early October (it's not much, but it's a big step for a "computer-chair" potato), and I have more vague goals at this point about doing a sprint Tri next year... those are the goals that have helped me log my nutrition and those are the goals that get me out of bed at what we in the Navy used to call "Oh-dot-thirty" in the morning to go swim or run before work...

The payoff? Had a follow-up to a physical in June (my "check with the Dr. first" physical) today... I've lost 25 pounds and my blood pressure is no longer in the "I'm putting you on blood pressure medication unless you start getting your weight down" zone.

I honestly don't think I could keep motivated without those goals... from prior experience (a lot of it ) setting a goal weight without some physical activity goal resulted in me giving up with little impact on my fitness or my weight. Just anecdotal evidence, but I'm sold!

Edited by merlyn411 2008-08-20 7:40 PM
2008-08-20 8:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
I signed up for IMOO 2008 last year on the internet. As I sat at the computer, I weighed 119 pounds (I am 6'1"). When I decided to sign up the week before, I was 221.

I will weigh between 178-181 when I race in a few weeks.

I would say "HELL YEAH!!!" a goal helps.

2008-08-20 8:43 PM

Expert
Realize that you are asking a bunch of people with competitive juices For people who are dedicated enough to fitness to not only do Triathlons but also sharpen their skills on Boards like these, yes, a goal of a specific event is huge.

I personally don't care how I look or what my cholesterol tests at, because if I'm doing well in my Tri's, that stuff is probably all taking care of itself.

On the other hand, I have some coworkers who would never do a Tri, they would be more motivating by knowing they can look in the mirror in 3 months and see a slimmer person. Doesn't matter if they can finish a Tri, finish in the top half, etc.

I think the key is finding something they are interested in.... running, tennis, skiing, whatever. their goal should be around that. I've seen a few people do 1 Tri, finish, feel great about it, and then slip back into their ways cuz they were never really that in to Tri's.
2008-08-20 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1617479

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

vheart - 2008-08-20 7:29 PM I also have been recommending this to my patients. I'm a Pediatric Cardiologist and see many children and adolescents who are obese that have hypertension and/or hypercholesterolemia. At times I give them a 5 K race near their home to enter. Since doing this I have seen an improvement in weight loss in these children. I do believe that you need a goal with a plan. I also include a parent who most of time are obese themselves.

I think the last line here is key.  I see this all the time as well (child psychiatrist). But I find most of the time my patients are not very motivated or realistic about change. Even giving them smaller goals (e.g. walk your dog daily for the next 2 weeks) often doesn't happen. And of course, the family doesn't make change, such as getting rid of the junk foods in the home, or getting the TV out of the bedroom, or being active as a family.

2008-08-20 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1617683

Melbourne, FL

Hazelmn - 2008-08-20 9:43 PM Realize that you are asking a bunch of people with competitive juices For people who are dedicated enough to fitness to not only do Triathlons but also sharpen their skills on Boards like these, yes, a goal of a specific event is huge. I personally don't care how I look or what my cholesterol tests at, because if I'm doing well in my Tri's, that stuff is probably all taking care of itself. On the other hand, I have some coworkers who would never do a Tri, they would be more motivating by knowing they can look in the mirror in 3 months and see a slimmer person. Doesn't matter if they can finish a Tri, finish in the top half, etc. I think the key is finding something they are interested in.... running, tennis, skiing, whatever. their goal should be around that. I've seen a few people do 1 Tri, finish, feel great about it, and then slip back into their ways cuz they were never really that in to Tri's.

Extremely good point Hazelmn.  Every person is different and I think most of the people here reading these boards are also extremely competitive.  This is my first season in triathlons, but my competitive nature from other sports has carried me to the point where I not only plan on finishing my races, but I want to place in my age group...  goals are always important, but I also think that one must continue to  "up the anti" to keep from getting bored. 

Motivation is only as easy as the person you're trying to motivate. Take a 300lb man and ask him to start working out because he is overweight and you may get a chuckle out of him.  Tell that same man that if he doesn't work out he will be dead by the age of 50 and you're more than likely to get a fairly eager and positive response.

2008-08-21 6:48 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Goals are important, but will only be effective if they come from within.  Your patients won't have much invested in goals you give them, but will invest far more into goals they develop for themselves (maybe with a little nudging from a kind doctor). 

The second point to make with your patients is there are no "Small goals" (only small steps towards achieving goals).  "Small goals" can be easily dismissed and there is very little emotional attachment to not attaining (or conversely, attaining) them.  That really makes them "non-goals."  Any goal is an important goal that needs to be nurtured and protected from defeatist attitudes and rationalizations. 

2008-08-21 7:26 AM

Uxbridge
Definately. I have never been athletic or participated in any sports. 2 1/2 years ago I quit smoking. I took up running and registered for a 10 K. I set the goal and told everyone I know.I finished the 10K and signed up for more. I got injured and had to cross train...ended up signing up for a sprint tri while I recovered. Again, told all my friends and family. I found that it was helpful for me to tell others so that I couldnt back out without embarassment!!!They also would ask me about my training and were very encouraging.

The training plans here on BT are great for beginners and give specific workouts for the type of race and fitness. They are a great guide.

I have completed 6 tri's, 3 open water swim races and many 5 and 10 K's. Next weekend I will swim in an ironman relay. I have lost 20 pounds since quitting and making a commitment to become healthy. I am in better shape than I was when I was in my 20's...and I turned 50 this year! It's never to late to become fit!!!!
2008-08-21 7:56 AM

Regular
Thanks for all the feedback and good advice. This will definitely help me as I talk with patients about exercise.

I do try to encourage patients to set goals that are suitable for the person's level of fitness. Memphis, where I live, is often listed as one of the fattest or unhealthiest cities, but there are some good programs around here to help people just starting to exercise. One of my favorites is called Memphis Women Run. It is a training program to encourage women to start walking or running. Women meet in groups weekly, and the program culminates in a 5K walk or run at the end of the 2 month program. I just wish they had a year round program, instead of only once a year.

One other interesting thing I've noticed. Since I have been exercising more regularly myself, I tend to spend more time talking to my patients about exercise.

Thanks again!
2008-08-21 8:06 AM

Champion
Butler

Absolutely setting goals is benefitial, if not you are just going to the gym, etc for the sake of doing it and trying to lose weight.  I personally hate to use the work "Workout", I say train.  Saying workout makes it seem like I am going to work and should be paid for it.  But training or going for a bike ride is fun IMO.  So people who say workout is definately a pet peeve.

Pet Peeve #2 is people who try to loose #'s and not BF%.  I will hear girls that weight 110lbs and are 5'5" say they want to lose 5lbs, "for what?".  Their response, I just want to.  When ever someone asks me about training and losing weight I tell them to get a bf% reading done and stay away from the scale except when they get the bf% done so they can compare how much fat they lost, not weight they lost.

2008-08-21 8:08 AM

New Haven, CT

Short answer: YES. 

Long Answer: Triathlon has been an absolute revalation for me to get back in shape and get healthier.  The 3 sports breaks up the monotony of pounding the pavement or the goofy machines/ classes at the gym.  After playing competitive sports through college (football) and a few years after (rugby), I fell into the typical netherworld of work/marriage/kids/no exercise = fat ex-jock.  Adding a bit of "competition" and a rigerious exercise regime (for which I am not constructed to excel in) has driven me more than any typical MD scare tactics.  Everyone is different, but for me the competitive nature of sport, developing and executing a plan and trying to change my body into something useful for endurance sports (as opposed to running over O-linemen) has helped me. Now if someone could only come up with a plan that would stop me from being hungry 24-7, I could really make some progress.  I personally believe your thinking will benefit your patients and help them achieve better health.  However, like everything, no one plan works for eveyone.  Great thread, thanks.

2008-08-21 8:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas

"I found that it was helpful for me to tell others so that I couldnt back out without embarassment!!!They also would ask me about my training and were very encouraging."  May 

This is what really helped me. I have set a lot of goals but never told anyone, so if i failed who knew?  I feel like if I don't go through with this I will not be true to my word.  Which I take great pride in.  There also has been a pot started on if I can finish.  It started 35 lbs ago.  So at least one goal is met.

2008-08-21 8:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

Big time helpful - to the point where I'm looking for a race to do in October/November just to keep motivated before winter really sets in.

Wife might give me a green-light to do the Hi-fi Tri in Galveston.....if I ask nicely.  :D

2008-08-21 9:27 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
I find having concrete goals very helpful.  If the goal is vague, I have a tendency to delay or procrastinate - there is nothing keeping me on track to do today's training session if I can put it off until tomorrow.  However, if there is a specific date on the calendar that is not moving, I am much more motivated to do what needs to be done TODAY.
2008-08-21 9:40 AM

Expert
Computerland
I think races and other fitness goals defenitely help with motivation. It would be harder to do your absulute best without something to measure your progress.

I know because I have been an on again , off again runner for several years before I started doing triathlons. I had no specific goals- all my goals were very vague and sometimes I didn't even have any goals. Ovbiously, having no goals meant I quickly lost intrest and gave up on my exercise routine several times.

With triathlons, however, I have found that there are SO many different goals to make and SO many different ways to measure your progress, whether it is completing your first sprint- or completing your first ironman. You can also make goals within each individual sport, such as running a fast 10K or bicycling your first century. The possibilites are endless- that is what makes triathlon so intresting, and so rewarding when you do achieve all these goals.

Because of all these goals I am able to set, I don't ever see myself losing intrest in triathlons and giving up the sport.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness goals -- helpful? Rss Feed  

of 2