BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-12-16 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now
NAME: Enders_Shadow (Kristen)

STORY: I am starting my 3rd season of triathlon (2009). I always wanted to do one, but never got around to it. About a year after the birth of my 2nd child, in early 2006, I realized I was fat, unhealthy, and unhappy. My husband and I started taking better care of ourselves - eating clean and exercising. I started out running and in that year I did some running races. I lost ~ 40 pounds.

That summer we moved from a big city to a smaller one, and my husband bought me a road bike - so I could start doing triathlons...only one problem, I didn't swim. I joined BT that year but mostly lurked. Starting in January 2007, I took swimming lessons at the Y and did my first tri (a teeny sprint with a pool swim) in spring 2007. I ended up doing 3 more sprints that year ( 2 more pool swims and one miserable OWS sprint). In December 2007, I lost another 15 pounds and finally made it out of the Athena category - a big goal of mine.

Now tris, racing, and taking care of myself is part of my lifestyle. I want to lose about 20 more pounds...but it's coming along very slowly. I'm also building up to some longer races...see the race section below.

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ 2 kids, 1 dog, and a busy job (work-life-sport balance is always a key concern with me)

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train for tris during the spring/summer, run more during the winter. I am a big proponent of HRM training and base building. Currently I'm training for my first full mary in the spring and for Oly-distance tris come summer time (assuming I get my sorry self back in the pool)!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: For 2008, I ran 2 half-marys, a 10K, 1 OWS sprint tri, 2 pool sprint tris, and tried to do an Oly (but weather turned it into a duathlon).

2009 RACES: I'm shooting for an April full mary, a May OWS sprint, a June or July Oly, and maybe (cross-fingers) a September HIM (or Oly)...maybe a pool sprint thrown in here or there (I live across the street from the Y where the pool sprints are held in town...it's hard to pass them up!)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm looking to lose another 15-20 pounds...Make it 20...I've gained a little weight since my half-mary/season ended in November. I approach weight loss as a clean-eating, research intense endeavor. I love to cook and I've been playing with the idea of local eating (but I love too many foods that don't come from Virginia).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I will make a good mentor, because I've struggled with many of the issues that plague new triathletes...inability to swim, fear of open water swims, carrying around a good number of extra pounds, nervousness about parading my body around in spandex. I have gotten over all of these and I can tell you the secrets I've learned in my years here on BT. I've benefited from the experience and wisdom from a bunch of folks on this board and I would love to pass along the favors. Also, I'm a wee bit chatty...which I think helps make a mentor group successful. I have the time and energy and I love playing cheerleader.

Edited by enders_shadow 2008-12-17 12:24 PM

2008-12-17 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1856410

User image

Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - OPEN

Hi, Kristen!

Can I be in your group? We have a lot in common, from swimming to weightloss struggles to juggling work/workouts/family. I'm brand-new to tris. I just signed up to take swimming lessons at my local Y. I'm curious what part of the country you're from?

margo

2008-12-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1858532

User image

Champion
hoofchick - 2008-12-17 10:56 AM

Hi, Kristen!

Can I be in your group? We have a lot in common, from swimming to weightloss struggles to juggling work/workouts/family. I'm brand-new to tris. I just signed up to take swimming lessons at my local Y. I'm curious what part of the country you're from?

margo

Glad to have you Margo! I'm in Virginia...how 'bout you?

Edited to add - oops, I should have looked at your post a little more closely...you're in NY.

You have another challenge too - training in the snow! Thankfully, I don't get much of that where I am, but I'm still too much of a weenie to ride outside when it's cold!

Edited by enders_shadow 2008-12-17 10:00 AM
2008-12-17 10:06 AM

User image

Syracuse, NY

No biking in the snow for me. I bought a pair of insulated bike tights and then thought "what am I thinking???" and exchanged them for some bike shorts to wear in my cycling class.

Biking and swimming are pretty foreign to me. I used to do both when I was a kid, but as a grownup? (I'm 45) I can swim well enough to save myself from drowning, but can't do any breathing-type work. I'm hoping to learn that when lessons start. Biking, well... being on the road absolutely terrifies me. I have a 15+ year old hybrid Diamondback that I'm planning on using. I'm going to get clipless pedals and new tires, but other than that, I hope to get my feet wet with the bike I've got. But, never say never Smile

2008-12-17 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Good call on the biking shorts. This year I asked Sugar Daddy (my husband) for a bike trainer for Christmas so I can ride indoors ...

I hope your lessons go well - they made a huge difference for me...I could doggy-paddle (a little) before lessons...afterwards I could definitely SWIM (breathing included).

One of the best pieces of advice for new folks is to use what you got - your bike will be fine, and you'll see folks at triathlons riding anything from bikes that cost more than my car to hybrids to mountain bikes...(never saw anyone riding a trike, but other than that - anything goes).

I put clipless pedals on my bike after my 3rd tri...rode with toe cages until then because I was too nervous...I hadn't been on a bike since high school when I got my road bike. The bike definitely came back easier than swimming (although I probably never knew how to swim right!).
2008-12-17 11:09 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hi Kristen.  Could I join your group. Like Hoof Chick we have a lot in common. I'm aiming for a 26.2 and 70.3 next year.  I have done a few OWS events myself and will be swimming a 5K next year

I need to lose 25lbs too and '09 will be my 3rd season. 

Thanks.

2008-12-17 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1858779

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2008-12-17 12:09 PM

Hi Kristen.  Could I join your group. Like Hoof Chick we have a lot in common. I'm aiming for a 26.2 and 70.3 next year.  I have done a few OWS events myself and will be swimming a 5K next year

Thanks.

Sure, Lynne! Happy to have you! And wow - swimming a 5K...I've toyed with an OWS mile race here (part of the Xterra games), but but no distance longer than that! I figure as long as I can go for 1.2 miles, I'm good for the HIM. Welcome!
2008-12-17 11:21 AM

User image

Expert

Hi Kristen!  Can I join your group?  I was with you 2 mentor sessions ago (I missed out on the last one!)- you are a great motivator!.

I did two sprints last summer, and was pretty happy with the results since it had been a few years since my last.  Now I want to work on my speed, and maybe get up to an oly if I have the time to train.  I am also working on losing the last five pounds of 20, and right now I am trying to do some strength training to increase my lean muscle mass.  Mostly I need to be more consistent, and find ways to not skip entire weeks of workouts because I am busy or on service!  I did just join the hospital gym, so I am hoping that will help.

I am married with two boys, and two dogs.  I am a pediatrician who works at a hospital taking care of hospitalized kids and doing research.  It keeps me very busy.  I live in the 'burbs of Rochester, NY (right down the road from Margo!).

Karen

2008-12-17 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1858812

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
enders_shadow - 2008-12-17 9:16 AM
Triathlynne - 2008-12-17 12:09 PM

Thanks.

Sure, Lynne! Happy to have you! And wow - swimming a 5K...I've toyed with an OWS mile race here (part of the Xterra games), but but no distance longer than that! I figure as long as I can go for 1.2 miles, I'm good for the HIM. Welcome!

I was quite surprised at how "easy" the OWS 1 mile was. I also did an "Across Lake Washington" 1.5 mile swim, I think because there is nothing after it - bike or run once you're out, your out. 

2008-12-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1858833

User image

Champion
momandmd - 2008-12-17 12:21 PM

Hi Kristen!  Can I join your group?  I was with you 2 mentor sessions ago (I missed out on the last one!)- you are a great motivator!.

I did two sprints last summer, and was pretty happy with the results since it had been a few years since my last.  Now I want to work on my speed, and maybe get up to an oly if I have the time to train.  I am also working on losing the last five pounds of 20, and right now I am trying to do some strength training to increase my lean muscle mass.  Mostly I need to be more consistent, and find ways to not skip entire weeks of workouts because I am busy or on service!  I did just join the hospital gym, so I am hoping that will help.

I am married with two boys, and two dogs.  I am a pediatrician who works at a hospital taking care of hospitalized kids and doing research.  It keeps me very busy.  I live in the 'burbs of Rochester, NY (right down the road from Margo!).

Karen

Hey, Karen! Glad to have you back. I think you win the work/life/sport balance award! Tell me again how old your boys are? (My girls, aka the Monkeys, are almost 4 and almost 7).

Congrats on the sprints! I've been working on my speed too - although I've gained some speed just by being consistent with my training.
2008-12-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1858849

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2008-12-17 12:28 PM

I was quite surprised at how "easy" the OWS 1 mile was. I also did an "Across Lake Washington" 1.5 mile swim, I think because there is nothing after it - bike or run once you're out, your out. 

I'm still waiting for that day when OWS is easy.

2008-12-17 12:05 PM

Hello! My name is Mark. I'm 48 y/o and I'm a captain for a full-time fire department. This is actually not my first attempt at doing a triathlon. 3 years ago I decided to train for a sprint tri and bought a book to help me(The Triahletes Training Bible). I really didn't do that well in the swim but I also realistically didn't train that well. I've decided to get into it again and got back into the pool about 5 weeks ago as the swim is the area that I need to work on. Up to now, I've pretty much been a cyclist so those skills are there for the most part. Just got a new pair of running shoes yesterday. Unfortunately, this morning I woke up with a sore throat so I'm going to back off for a few days. I'm in my first week of Prep right now. My plan for this upcoming season is to do a couple of Sprints and then do a Half Ironman in August. Any help or tips that you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really geeked about doing well this year as up to now I've "just wanted to finish" in any race I've done. I want to do better than that and I know that I can!

Thanks, Mark(Woodstock)

2008-12-17 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Kristen,

I was hoping you had room for me in your group.

I have done 5 sprints over the past 3 years, but this summer my wife and I had a baby boy, so I took most of this year off and am still adjusting to my new lifestyle.

My goals are too lose about 20 pounds, with a race wise a goal of completing a HIM (either Kansas in June or the Redman in Sept.)

I also hope to run a couple half marathons (March and October) and at least one or two sprints through out the spring/summer.

My hope is that you can help me adjust my training and eating while stay focused with all the new things going on in my life with a child

Thanks,

Brian

2008-12-17 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Kristen...I wanna join you guys.  I know you from way back on BT...hehe....and also am good buddies with Lynne.  I'll post my goals if you accept me.  I have been in Beth and Yanti's group but haven't seen them repost it, so I guess I am moving on for now.

--Leslie

2008-12-17 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL (for now)
Wow - there are 6 now! I'm going to close this up for now...although we might be getting a co-mentor (QueenZipp), in which case I might open back up for a few people.
2008-12-17 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1858962

User image

Champion
woodstock - 2008-12-17 1:05 PM

Hello! My name is Mark. I'm 48 y/o and I'm a captain for a full-time fire department. This is actually not my first attempt at doing a triathlon. 3 years ago I decided to train for a sprint tri and bought a book to help me(The Triahletes Training Bible). I really didn't do that well in the swim but I also realistically didn't train that well. I've decided to get into it again and got back into the pool about 5 weeks ago as the swim is the area that I need to work on. Up to now, I've pretty much been a cyclist so those skills are there for the most part. Just got a new pair of running shoes yesterday. Unfortunately, this morning I woke up with a sore throat so I'm going to back off for a few days. I'm in my first week of Prep right now. My plan for this upcoming season is to do a couple of Sprints and then do a Half Ironman in August. Any help or tips that you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really geeked about doing well this year as up to now I've "just wanted to finish" in any race I've done. I want to do better than that and I know that I can!

Thanks, Mark(Woodstock)

Hi, Mark!

Welcome! Whoo whoo - I love new running shoes. (My husband is acutely aware of this problem of mine..when we were dating I had about 20 pairs - to keep him sane, I only have 4 or 5 pairs now.) Take care of yourself and don't get too sick.

You can definitely do better than finish!

2008-12-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1858991

User image

Champion
bwoglom - 2008-12-17 1:16 PM

Hi Kristen,

I was hoping you had room for me in your group.

I have done 5 sprints over the past 3 years, but this summer my wife and I had a baby boy, so I took most of this year off and am still adjusting to my new lifestyle.

My goals are too lose about 20 pounds, with a race wise a goal of completing a HIM (either Kansas in June or the Redman in Sept.)

I also hope to run a couple half marathons (March and October) and at least one or two sprints through out the spring/summer.

My hope is that you can help me adjust my training and eating while stay focused with all the new things going on in my life with a child

Thanks,

Brian

Hi, Brian! Welcome! And congrats on the new baby! It's not easy to balance life/work/sport, but it's totally possible with some practice.

I've really enjoyed running half-marathons...they're just the right distance for me. (I'm not fast, but I can run for a long time!)
2008-12-17 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1858994

User image

Champion
Medusa_Ann - 2008-12-17 1:17 PM

Kristen...I wanna join you guys.  I know you from way back on BT...hehe....and also am good buddies with Lynne.  I'll post my goals if you accept me.  I have been in Beth and Yanti's group but haven't seen them repost it, so I guess I am moving on for now.

--Leslie

Hi, Leslie! Good to see you here. You can totally join up! So what are your goals?
2008-12-17 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now
Okie dokie! What a great group!

We have:

Me
Margo (hoofchick)
Lynne (triathlynne)
Karen (momandmd)
Mark (woodstock)
Brian (bwoglom)
Leslie (medusa_ann)

(Let me know if I messed any of your names up!)
I'll come up with a chart w/ links soon. (I'm s'posed to be working today - can you tell how motivated I am to do that?)

This group is going to be a lot of fun! Post up what your goals are if you haven't already...and also, have you signed up for any races yet in 2009? (Sign-up for the races in my area aren't until after X-mas...but I'll be signing up for a few then.)

2008-12-17 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
2008-12-17 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1859156

User image

Champion
OK, so it's not the most gorgeous thing ever - I'll work on fancying it up a little bit...but at least it will give us links to each other's logs...and if you're not using your log, I'd recommend starting...it's a great way to let us see what you're doing and inspire you!

(There are instructions to help you get this in your log if you're interested ...I'll post a link soon.)

Edited by enders_shadow 2008-12-17 1:07 PM

2008-12-17 2:02 PM

User image

Syracuse, NY

Hmmm, goals....

There are a handful of sprint tris around here that I want to try (Green Lakes, Cazenovia, Skaneatelas. Are you doing any of those, Karen?) At this point, I just want to finish without walking (either the bike or the run). I'd love to not come in last, but I can deal with it if I am (I was fourth from last in my first 10K Thanksgiving week. I survived Smile). 

I started running consistently this summer. Because of failed attempts (due to injuries) the previous year, I've increased mileage VERY slowly and I'm only up to 7 miles. I would LOVE to do a half-mary this year and I'm thinking about doing Ottawa with some friends who are doing the full. Biking and swimming for fitness/competition are new territory.

I've lost 26 pounds since I started tri training (Oct 1) and I'd like to lose another 14. I'm doing WW and trying to do 30-90 minutes of cardio (run, spin, swim) 6 days a week. After the start of the new year, I'm going to add strength training and stretching/flexibility, too. Plus, I'm an avid horse rider although I've cut back to 4 times a week because I just don't have the energy/hours in a day to ride more. My mare doesn't mind, I'm sure, lol.

I have a husband, a step-son, a puppy, 3 cats and 4 horses. And a full-time job as a software engineer. I do love to sleep, but have been having trouble finding time for naps since I started tri training, lol. Can't wait for some days off for Christmas!

Can't think of anything else relevant.

Margo

2008-12-17 7:08 PM

User image

Champion
The 5 Ss of sports training are: stamina, speed, strength, skill, and spirit; but the greatest of these is spirit.
- Ken Doherty

Edited by enders_shadow 2008-12-17 7:08 PM
2008-12-17 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Kristen....and gang....I will be posting my goals tomorrow....I am heading out to a 40th birthday party.  (I have one a week it seems!  Tis the year...)  Have a good night everyone! I am happy to be a part of this group.
2008-12-17 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
You didn't tell me you were doing a group! If you decide to take any more let me know because I want on board. Perhaps some bribery... a little red wine maybe?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 16