Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2008-12-16 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Barqhead's Group - FULL
NAME: Barqhead AKA Pam
STORY: I am a 38 year old mom of two. I am also a lifeguard/swim instructor/lifeguard instructor at a local YMCA. I got into triathlon in 2004 as a way to lose baby weight and regain some sort of fitness.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married with two kids. My son is 10 and my daughter is 7, both have done kids' triathlons.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently coached by a local triathlete/coach. I previously coached myself but decided to go with a professional when I jumped up to the Half Iron distance in 2007.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2008 was a year of injury management I did race 3 sprints, 1 olympic and 1 half ironman, plus loads of metric century bicycle tours and a 10K.
2009 RACES: Tentative races for 2009 include Parris Island Sprint Tri, White Lake Half Ironman and not tentative, a definite go, the money is already down, Ironman Couer D'Alene in June!
WEIGHTLOSS: I started at 174 pounds in 2004 and am currently bobbing along at 145. I lost the brunt of my weight in 2005 using the Weight Watchers program.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have a strong swimming background and am a very good cyclist (for a girl ) Running is my weakness and I believe in training my limiters! I plan on touching base with my group via the mentor thread at least twice a week and popping into your training logs at least once a week. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner. I can share some things I've learned in my 5 years of triathlon as well as some tips my coach has shared with me. I LOVE this sport. Can't wait to share the passion with other new addicts

Edited by barqhead 2008-12-22 7:49 PM

2008-12-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - Open

Hi Pam, I would love to be part of your group, you were recommended by Sesh (Bill).

A little about me, I am 38, live in Brandon, MS and I am a 17 year veteran of the Law Enforcement community.  I just began training for my first triathlon about 2 1/2 months ago.  I have been trying to lay a solid base for the past couple months and have recently stepped up the training a bit.  In fact, I just completed my very first one (1) mile swim (non-stop) yesterday.....wooo hoooo!  I was stoked, seeing as I don't have a background in swimming, other than the Marines, and a month ago I struggled to get 200 yards.  I have a below average run ability, I am fairly comfortably running a 5K right now but have stretched it as far as 5 miles.  Biking, well, I just bought my first Tri bike about 2 weeks ago and due to weather haven't even taken it out for a test drive.  However, I am active in spin classes and can last the entire class (lots of hills and sprints) without passing out! lol

My goals for 2009:

I planned on doing my first Sprint tri in May 2009, but if all goes well, I may move it up and attempt one in March.  I would like to get 2-3 Sprints under my belt this year and at least 1 Oly.  I also want to complete my first Century bike ride.

So, that being said, if you have room, I would love to join your group.

Todd

2008-12-17 5:17 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Cool, Todd! Welcome aboard. I didn't even know you could peak here in the staging area! For all others who lurk out there, I am located in Greenville, SC, just in case you were wondering. If you are the least bit curious, feel free to ask questions.
2008-12-21 8:53 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Here is a little novel I wrote in 2007. It gives a lot more in depth background about me. Read if you want, skip if you're bored. I look forward to getting to know you in this mentor group!

I just kind of assume anybody reading this blog knows my background, but I'm going to go into a long-winded story, just to make sure. Read or skip it; the choice is yours! I did my first triathlon in 2004. I was a good swimmer because I swam competitively from the age of 10 til I was 18. I wasn't good enough to make it on to a college team. My weight hovered around 150 pounds and I wore a size 12. I thought that was ok since I'm 5'8". But I always wanted to be smaller. I was a typical college student. My exercise included walking to my classes, dancing at parties, and the occasional Jane Fonda tape. I graduated college, got married, worked full time and started to put on weight. I gave birth to my son at the age of 27. I weighed 216 pounds the week before he was born. I dropped to 180 pounds immediately after his birth. I stayed home, breastfed and managed to get down to 172 pounds. My weight once again passed the 200 pound mark during my second pregnancy. I topped out at 208 before the birth of my daughter. I was 30 years old and my weight held steady at 178 until September 11, 2001. I lost my appetite after the terrorist attacks and lost a whopping 6 pounds. So in 2004, when my friend convinced me to sign up for a sprint tri, I joined Weight Watchers and tried to train. I swam three times a week with some of my friends from the Y. I rode occasionaly with my husband on my mountain bike. I did run/walk loops around my neighborhood. I weighed 166 the day of my tri. I think my time was 1:29:??. This was a 300 yard swim, (which I swam in under 5 minutes) a 12.4 mile bike that I think took me about 50 minutes plus the 5K run that I did in 31 minutes. The rest of the time I was stretching and drinking and taking a gel in T1 and T2. I was 4th out of 5 in my age group and was something like 78th out of 86 overall. But I had fun. Over the summer of 2004, I had quit Weight Watchers, quit training and gained back all of the weight I had lost. So ithat fall, when my daughter went to preschool 3 days a week, I joined Weight Watchers again. My husband bought me a road bike (my Felt F70) for a surprise Christmas present. So in January, 2005, I started the couch to sprint program here on BT. I won my age group this time at the same tri I did in 2004. I still have that race report in my race log section. This is kind of a bittersweet tri because although I won my age group and was so happy, that is also the day that my friend who started me on this path committed suicide. I signed up for the Clemson tri because my friend had DNF'd in 2003 saying that the big hill at mile 3 on the bike kicked her butt and she just couldn't handle it. So I wanted to ride the hell out of that course in her memory. And that's what I did. It was my first top 10 bike placement. I was fourth in my age group. To this day, I believe my friend has given me her prowess on the bike. That was her favorite part of triathlons. She dearly loved to ride and we used to train together after I got my road bike. I do not believe it is a coincidence that my bike splits suddenly improved after her death. After Clemson, I bought Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible and devised training plans from it. I raced one more tri in 2005, the Greenville Sprint. After following Friel's advice, I won my age group and placed 10th overall even with a 2 minute penalty. Today I weigh around 145 pounds and wear a size 8, still struggle with my eating habits, and train with the help of Friel's book and all you BT'rs. I did that same sprint tri that started it all again this April. I won first place overall female. So if you managed to read through this whole, long tale, thanks for your time and I hope you got something out of it!
2008-12-21 11:16 AM

New user
Hi Pam,
I'd like to join your group!

A little info about me...my name is Nicole, 27 years old, currently living in Baltimore, MD. I don't have a very impressive athletic background. A few years ago, I started working out more and began running 5ks. Last summer, I participated in my first sprint triathlon. I loved it, so I've signed up for another sprint triathlon and an olympic triathlon for 2009.

Over the next few months, I'd love to improve my endurance. I work crazy hours and don't have a set schedule, so unfortunately I don't have a set training program. I do as much as I can on my days off. Currently, I participate in spinning classes at the gym (while it's cold outside) and run about 15-20 miles/week. I WAS swimming a mile comfortably at the gym, but recently my right shoulder has been bothering me. So, I'm taking a break until after the new year to ice and strengthen my shoulder.

Your group sounds perfect...if there's room, I'd love to be a part of it.

Nicole
2008-12-21 11:48 AM

New user

Roosdaal

Hey Pam,

I'd like to join your group.

I am a 20 year old man who is fairly new(1,5month) to tri.
Strength: swimming, can't give you my average time yet but will post you my time tomorrow as my swimpractice is scheduled.

Weakness: running. Never liked it but trying to enjoy it now. Last Sunday i ran a 10K race and finished it in 46:45. I believe that is an acceptable time, but my goal of course is to get faster.

As for cycling, I have joined a local cyclingclub. We ride together on sundays(about 70km(43,7miles)). I intend to cycle at least 3 times a week.

Also i subscribed to the full ironman program.
Of course i am open to your suggestions.

So let me know what you think...

Greets,

Jonathan

BTW: I'm from Belgium,in case you wondered but from now on i will convert the km's to miles

2008-12-21 11:50 AM

colette,
I would love to join your group. I will post my bio tonight. I am on a strike for workouts(2 week break) untill after xmas but will be back and ready to train!! Tania
2008-12-21 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Hi Pam!

If you still have room I would like to join your Mentor's group.

NAME: Kevin - a 250 lb. Master Clydesdale (who has lost about 65 lbs. this year)

STORY: I live in Kernersville, NC - a little town nestled between Winston Salem and Greensboro.  One of the reasons I wanted to join your group is because you live not too far away and so weather conditions, available training resources, etc ... should be fairly common ...and perhaps there will be some races/events that would be common as well.

I started tri training just this August, officially on Aug 1st, 2008.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm a 43 yr old single father to my 21 yr old son and 20 yr old daughter - raised them myself since they were about 3 and 4 years old.  After seeing their old man compete in my first ever sprint tri back in September they are both thinking about training for a sprint tri themselves ... not only as a way to run them with me but as a way to get in shape as both are thinking about joining the military ... (college just doesn't seem to be working for them...)

CURRENT TRAINING: Except for the past week or so (the Holidays are killing me!) I go to the local YMCA just about every single night.  I'm mostly concentrating on the run as that is my weakest even and I think that if I can improve my fitness and cardio in the run it will also benefit the biking and to a lesser degree the swim.

My longest so far is a 7.5 mile treadmill run, and for the past 2 months now I try to get in at least one 7 mile outside run around Salem Lake here in Winston Salem.  Other nights I do anywhere from 3 to 5 or 6 miles on the treadmill.  Before the weather got bad and dark so soon I was running a 4.25 miles course through a nearby neighborhood with some really good hills and had the option of looping back through the last portion to make it a 5.5 mile run.

My longest swim is 1300 yards, and I avg around 2:30 min/100 yds when I swim long.

My longest bike is only about 18 miles ... I really need to concentrate more on biking ... but am pretty dis-satisifed with this Diamondback hybrid bike I bought back in August.  I thought it would be a good bike for both the tri's and for around the neighborhood ... but I had discovered that I really do't want or need a good "casual" bike anymore ... but want a more high-performance road bike.  I kinda feel any bike training I do now will just be wasted until I can get a real road bike and learn to ride that and train in an aero position.

PAST RACES: I ran the Angel's Race at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC back on Sept 14th, my first ever tri  - a short sprint.  I then ran another sprint on Oct 18th down in Huntersville, NC called the Take Flight triathlon.

PLANNED RACES: Can't remember the exact races and not sure which ones yet, but definitely want to run an Oly by sometime in April or May of 2009 .. several more Sprints ...and even thinking about trying to run a 1/2 Mary by the Fall of 2009.  If I can complete an Oly or two and a 1/2 Mary ... then shooting for a HIM in 2010 may not be out of the question ... and who knows ... if I ever complete a HIM ... then would it be totally insane to think IM one day???

2008-12-21 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Welcome Nicole, Todd and Jonathan and you too Tania if this is the group you like. I'm Pam and not Colette so you may have mis-posted. One of our group's mantras will be "WE LOVE RUNNING". Yes, I too have to practice this mantra over and over. But let's face it, that discipline gets us triathletes to the finish line!

Edited by barqhead 2008-12-21 3:41 PM
2008-12-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1865787

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
nicoley81 - 2008-12-21 12:16 PM

Hi Pam,
I'd like to join your group!

A little info about me...my name is Nicole, 27 years old, currently living in Baltimore, MD. I don't have a very impressive athletic background. A few years ago, I started working out more and began running 5ks. Last summer, I participated in my first sprint triathlon. I loved it, so I've signed up for another sprint triathlon and an olympic triathlon for 2009.

Over the next few months, I'd love to improve my endurance. I work crazy hours and don't have a set schedule, so unfortunately I don't have a set training program. I do as much as I can on my days off. Currently, I participate in spinning classes at the gym (while it's cold outside) and run about 15-20 miles/week. I WAS swimming a mile comfortably at the gym, but recently my right shoulder has been bothering me. So, I'm taking a break until after the new year to ice and strengthen my shoulder.

Your group sounds perfect...if there's room, I'd love to be a part of it.

Nicole

Hi Nicole! The key to improvement is consistency. How far ahead do you receive your work schedule? If you could "loosley" plan a workout in each disicpline with one full rest day a week, I think you'd see great gains. Not only in your fitness, but in making this a lifestyle
2008-12-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1865811

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Anonymous - 2008-12-21 12:48 PM

Hey Pam,

I'd like to join your group.

I am a 20 year old man who is fairly new(1,5month) to tri.
Strength: swimming, can't give you my average time yet but will post you my time tomorrow as my swimpractice is scheduled.

Weakness: running. Never liked it but trying to enjoy it now. Last Sunday i ran a 10K race and finished it in 46:45. I believe that is an acceptable time, but my goal of course is to get faster.

As for cycling, I have joined a local cyclingclub. We ride together on sundays(about 70km(43,7miles)). I intend to cycle at least 3 times a week.

Also i subscribed to the full ironman program.
Of course i am open to your suggestions.

So let me know what you think...

Greets,

Jonathan

BTW: I'm from Belgium,in case you wondered but from now on i will convert the km's to miles

Welcome Jonathan! Must say that you make me ill! My PR for a 10K is 51:04!!! If running is your weakness, I say you have a bright future in triathlon It would help me if you could post your planned workouts somewhere in your log. That we can compare notes. When is your Ironman?

2008-12-21 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hi Kevin! Welcome aboard! It is never too crazy to think of Ironman! Sounds like you have an excellent start to the season. Let me tell you about the Diamondback Hybrid. If you can train on that, you will SMOKE the bike leg when you get a roadie! Don't let heavy, slow equipment deter you. It will make you STRONGER! Do the best with what you have. And hats off to a 7.5 mile run on a dreadmill. Egads! Sounds like you have a strong will which is a fabulous asset in triathlon

2008-12-21 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Hey Pam~  It looks like you are pretty full, but wanted to see if you had any room for a fellow Upstate resident??

Chris

2008-12-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1866164

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Always room for a local! Come on in and tell us about yourself

2008-12-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1865814

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
tri4mom - 2008-12-21 12:50 PM

colette,
I would love to join your group. I will post my bio tonight. I am on a strike for workouts(2 week break) untill after xmas but will be back and ready to train!! Tania

Tania, I just figured it out. Maybe you saw my signature line and that's where you got Colette! Looking forward to hearing more about you!
2008-12-21 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Name:  Chris

I am a golf professional at a country club.  I work hours different from most people (meaning weekends).  It does not really interfere with my training.  It mainly limits me from group rides.  I can pretty much come and go as I please.

I have a complete sports background.  (I currently play in a men's ice hockey league.) My biking background is mainly in mountain biking.  I started about six years ago and have loved it ever since.  I have been "training" since late September and would say my strong point is swimming.  (I swam in high school and taught swimming in college.)  I can currently swim 3000m in around an hour.  My weakest areas are the other two, with running probably being the worst.  I have no running background but am working on it.  My father turned into a runner during his time living in Italy.  He lived there 14 mths and did the Kiawah Marathon when he returned.  Needless to say, I was inspired.

Current Physical Condition: 

Long swim:  2800m in 50 minutes

Long bike:  26 miles in 1hr. 20 min.

Long run:  9.25 miles in 1hr 30 min.

My past events include: 

2008 Xterra Uwharrie (Open division)

2008 Greenville Sprint Tri

Future events include:

Langley Pond Olympic Tri - April 

My goal for Langley is to break 2.5 hrs.  Tough, but with work I think I can do it.

Greenville YMCA Tri - June

Greenville Sprint Tri - August

Ironman Augusta 70.3 - September 

My goal for Augusta is under 6 hours.

2008-12-21 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Welcome Chris! I'd say your goals look very achievable. You joined the right group cuz WE LOVE RUNNING! The run is so tricky because in biking you can "ride lots" and improve. WIth running if you run lots, you increase your chances of injury. Believe me, this is a path you don't want to go down. It took me out of the majority of my late summer/fall races this year. So you've got to run smart. I think that's the subject we'll try to tackle first once the group closes.

Pam

2008-12-21 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1866344

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
So Pam, what's the difference between running smart and running hard?  I run...and that is hard...lol  I always thought the swimming would be the hardest part, but believe it or not, with only a month or so of training, I can swim a mile, not blazingly fast, but I get there.  The bike, well, that kicks my but, but not nearly as bad as the run.  Having started at 257 lbs the run has been my weakness.  I am down to 216 after only 3 months of training and very strict healthy eating.  I have plans of going all the way down to 185.  However, even though the run gets a little easier as the weight comes off, it is still hard no matter what!  So please give me some magical advice.....lol
2008-12-21 7:42 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Just a quick pop in to say y'all have a great time with Pam!! She and I grew a lot as triathletes in a mentor group together this past year, and I learned a lot from her! You're in good hands!
2008-12-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1866359

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
msfugitivehunter - 2008-12-21 8:31 PM

So Pam, what's the difference between running smart and running hard?  I run...and that is hard...lol  I always thought the swimming would be the hardest part, but believe it or not, with only a month or so of training, I can swim a mile, not blazingly fast, but I get there.  The bike, well, that kicks my but, but not nearly as bad as the run.  Having started at 257 lbs the run has been my weakness.  I am down to 216 after only 3 months of training and very strict healthy eating.  I have plans of going all the way down to 185.  However, even though the run gets a little easier as the weight comes off, it is still hard no matter what!  So please give me some magical advice.....lol

Ha ha ha. Believe me, if I had the magic running wand, I'd use it on myself! I haven't had a chance to load everyone as my friend on my blog here yet. That is what we need to do. Load each other as friends so we can see our training logs. The training logs on this site are our most valuable tool to smart training. We can see if we are upping our mileage too fast or if we are doing too many "hard" efforts without enough easy. Or if we are slacking on our least favorite discipline. The key to improvement is consistency.

There is no shame in wralking. Doing a run/walk interval is a great way to run smart if you are a beginner and especially if you are carrying extra weight or are recovering from injury. Every run should NOT be a gut-wrenching, balls-to-the-wall, I'm gonna run faster than I've ever run before kind of thing.

Your runs can be structured to do multiple things in one workout. For example, you can do a run as a 15 minute easy warm up, then maybe 3 x30 second hard efforts followed by 3 x1 minute recoveries (walking), then 3 minute medium effort steady run (or jog as fitness permits) with a 15 minute easy cool down. They key to this kind of workout is to make the hard efforts hard and the easy efforts easy. Do not worry about overall pace for the entire run. What you are doing is training your body to handle short burst of hard running while giving it plenty of time to recover. You run more relaxed and can give it more effort when you know you only have to go hard for a short period of time. Does this make sense?

2008-12-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1866021

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

barqhead - 2008-12-21 4:40 PM Hi Kevin! Welcome aboard! It is never too crazy to think of Ironman! Sounds like you have an excellent start to the season. Let me tell you about the Diamondback Hybrid. If you can train on that, you will SMOKE the bike leg when you get a roadie! Don't let heavy, slow equipment deter you. It will make you STRONGER! Do the best with what you have. And hats off to a 7.5 mile run on a dreadmill. Egads! Sounds like you have a strong will which is a fabulous asset in triathlon

Kewl! 

Thanks Pam!!

I'm not sure how we are supposed to use these Mentor fourms/threads yet ... do we just post to them like others, or are we just supposed to let you post and we read?

Until I know more, I'll go ahead and make another post and include a couple of links to some other posts I have made so that the team members can get to know me a little better.  I posted a couple of race reports/pics over on the Athena's and Clydesdales forum, here are a few:

My first ever tri, a sprint called The Angel's Race on Sept 14th, 2008 in Clemmons, NC.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83930&start=251#M1702471

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83930&start=251#M1702498

And a link and photo's from my 2nd sprint tri, the Take Flight in Huntersville, NC on Oct 18th, 2008:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83930&start=276#M1797947

Finally, I'd like to ask a followup to the biking question.  So Pam, you don't think doing more riding/training on the hybrid bike will ruin form or cause me to develop nearly irreversibe bad habits/technique for when I want to switch to a road bike?

It is a Marvista model, a 19" frame with 700cm size tires and 21 gears (which I think are too many - I don't need them all, they are too close in gearing, and it takes too much time and effort to shift through them ...) ... anyhow I was thrilled when I first got it - my first bike in like 25-30 years ... since I was a kid ... and glad to get one in time to train a couple of weeks before my first tri.

But now I want to do real training, learn how to ride in aero position for the majority of the distance, etc ... and really work the hamstrings more to save the quads because I want to go really heavy into some bike/run bricks .... I think I have my running to a point that I can do 10k with no problem ... BUT .... that is not coming off a bike ride .... my legs are total jello for running after I have been biking.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me join and Hello to the other team members.  Once the team is full I guess we are going to get together and decide on some goals or training methods or something, or how does this work.

I am so excited to finally be getting started fresh at the beginning of a full tri season - preparing and training from the very beginning ... and to be part of a team and some expert help ... when I first started I had just heard about tri's and sprint tri's in particular for the first time ever around some time like Sept 29th or something.

Within just a couple of days I made up my mind decided to go for it (after reading several articles right here on our very own BT website), and my tri training and first official tri year began Aug 1st, 2008.

Thanks!!

(P.S...  Whew!  finally I was able to correct the links above and they now point to the correct posts that I made in another forum...)

Edited by klowman 2008-12-21 9:35 PM

2008-12-21 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Please post away! I am by no means an expert, but I am thrilled to share what knowledge I have. And I can best do that if you post questions or even situations. Other members of the group, feel free to share with us workouts and tips that have worked for you re: questions on this thread. That way we can all learn something new. I tried to "visit" everyone's blogs tonight and it looks like everyone knows how to use them. Yay! Do y'all know how to add friends? If you do, add all of us. That way it's a bit easier to 'talk" to each other and see what we are up to.

OK Kevin. Back to the bike. Training on a hybrid is better than no training at all. The hybrid gearing is going to enable you to climb anything! It is also a great opportunity to spin a higher cadence. You are not going to ruin your cycling form. Do you ever watch the Tour De France? One of the leaders, Cadel Evans, was a pro mountain bike racer before he became a road racer. It certainly didn't hurt his form! Your bike is heavy and the gearing on it will make it hard to go super fast. But it is a great training tool. You will be stronger and will be able to push harder gears when you do get a road bike. It will be like instant speed. Don't stop training on it!

I know the holiday season is hectic and I'm not gonna rag anyone for being inconsistent on their workouts right now. Mine are going to be rather sporadic since my kids are out of school for 2 weeks and it will be "challenging" to try to get any cycling done (besides the dreaded trainer).

Just remember, this is still the off-season. Cross-training is fabulous. So take a yoga or pilates class, ski, hike, para-glide! If it involves some sort of strength or cardio, it is helping build base fitness. We don't always have to swim, bike, run. Until after the first of the year, anyway

2008-12-21 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Okay Pam!!

Thanks for the reply!  I got the links corrected in my post above - they now point correctly to some posts and photo's of my first 2 races.

Guess maybe I was looking for an excuse to not bike.... guess I gotta get out and brave the weather ... had spent a few sessions on the bike trainer in the YMCA .. but I guess that doesn't count for much ...

I'm gonna go for now ... daughter got an iPod/MP3 type player at a Xmas party and wants to load some music on it right now so she is going to use the computer for a while .... but I'll come back later to add the Friend links and some questions/goals that I have ...

See ya'll !!

2008-12-21 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Pam - I'd like to join if you still have room. This will be my 3rd attempt at having a FULL season - I have no problem starting strong with training - I have a problem with continiuing my training.

Name - John

Story - 42 yr old who found tri's 2 yrs ago. Fell in love with them but struggle to make them a lifestyle. Circumstances 2 yrs ago forced me to seek self employment - no regrets there but it has forced training to take 2nd priority more than once.

Family - Married for 18 yrs with 3 daughters. Wife & kids - though supportive - aren't very active themselves & see my tri fascination as a temporary attempt at clinging to a more youthful part of myself.

Current training - only train at the table currently. I have been thin & able to eat anything all my life without gaining weight until about 3-4 yrs ago. I ate as a necessity - now I eat for recreation - I have come to LOVE eating and it shows.

Last years races - I registered for a couple of races this year but completed none. I have completed a handful of 5k's and one sprint an Xterra. 

Races I'd like to make this year include - North Florida Oly - First Coast Off Road Xterra - Hammerhead Oly - AmeliaMan Oly. Being from WNC I have also eyed several races in Clemson - I have work ties and family vacation ties to Clemson/Seneca area. I also like the look of White Lake half - maybe in 2010.

While I am not really stronger in any one particular discipline - I'd rank them from strongest to weakest as - bike - run - swim.

What I need most is a good kick in !@# to keep me motivated. I am in awe of those who are able to keep this lifestyle continuous regardless of the fires and stress that life throws at them. If the kick doesn't work I am open to whatever motivator anyone can give me that works. (I do realize my loss of motivation hasn't been due to a lack of kicks - I was a member of a great mentor group last year and have had several more informal mentors from this site. My lack of comittment does NOT reflect on their lack of kicks

I'd also like the opportunity to meet members of this forum for a race or 2 over the coming year - I think this may help me stay on track. With a couple of you being in the Carolina's I thought this may be possible.

I plan on starting the Oly 16 week plan on Jan 1. Though I have done no training for probably 2 months now I may start slowly over the next week to get my feet wet agian.

I look forward to the new year and the support of this group. Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

2008-12-22 5:03 AM
in reply to: #1866014

New user

Roosdaal

Hey,

Still trying to figure out how to get my planned workouts online. But 'll do it asap.

Other important issue, my tibial fleece is inflammated(used online translater for this), so my shinbone hurts like hell when running. so i wont go for a run the next two weeks.
All the focus will be on biking and swimming.

And the ironman i want to compete in is the half ironman of antwerp in august

Thx for the help

I found out how to plan my workouts, so i've just put today's plan online.
Will put more plans on asap.

Greets

Edited by Anonymous 2008-12-22 5:59 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22