General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter--Not safe to run???!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-07 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter--Not safe to run???!!!

So, being all excited about our new baby, I bought a BOB Ironman stroller, and since she's still an infant I picked up the Infant Car Seat Adapter.

I get the stroller and install the adapter, and waaaaaaaay back on the last page of the manual is a warning statement that says,

"Do not run or jog when using the ICSA (infant car seat adapter) with
car seat installed. Doing so may result in serious injury or death."

WTF???!!! I buy an accessory for what's considered the premier running stroller on the market, and find out on the back page of the instructions that the accessory isn't even designed for RUNNING??!!

I've e-mailed the folks at BOB, but I'd be curious to know what others have done. Is this warning the product of overly-conservative product labeling and I'm really just fine running with a car seat on board, or should I really not be running with my baby? If it's really not usable for running, I'm headed back to exchange it for a Baby Jogger, whose car seat adapters carry no such warning...

Thanks for the input.

2009-03-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2003619

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter--Not safe to run???!!!

are you sure the warning applies to the baby?  it could apply to the runner and have been written by a couch potato. 

I'd be shocked if you called them and they said it was just an overly protective warning our lawyers made up write.  Rather, I would ask them WHY the warning is in there, maybe when running there is an increase chance of tipping over or something like that.

As for why they sell this, I've seen people use running strollers as regular strollers, so they can sell it as a regular use stroller as well as a running stroller.

2009-03-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2003637

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter--Not safe to run???!!!
condorman - 2009-03-07 11:58 AM

are you sure the warning applies to the baby?  it could apply to the runner and have been written by a couch potato. 

I'd be shocked if you called them and they said it was just an overly protective warning our lawyers made up write.  Rather, I would ask them WHY the warning is in there, maybe when running there is an increase chance of tipping over or something like that.

As for why they sell this, I've seen people use running strollers as regular strollers, so they can sell it as a regular use stroller as well as a running stroller.

Well, being the impatient person I am, I called a local running shop that sells the BOBs and I asked them. Basically the concern is not so much for tipping the stroller, but for vibrations/jostling that can happen if you're running on rough surfaces. And since BOB can't account for the amount of cradling/protection that every car seat provides, the warning is there. His guidance was to use common sense and not go running on unfavorable surfaces--stick to paved paths, avoid sidewalks, etc.

Feeling a little better about things, I took the stroller out for a 3-mile walk/run loop around our subdivision, and what I learned was that it's all about the surface. I used our Graco SnugRide car seat with the head support and a little extra padding around the head (as I learned in car seat class). On sidewalks or the beaten-up portions of the walk/run path, the ride was pretty bumpy. Nothing extreme, but there was some definite head movement. On the better-kept sections and parts of the streets that had an extra lane that was marked as a shoulder, it was smooth sailing regardless of whether I was walking or running.

Either way, I learned that 1. the surface you run on is key, 2. that I'm going to get quite a bit stronger on the hills now that I'm pushing my daughter around in the BOB, and 3. Whatever amount of vibration/bumps I encountered it wasn't enough to wake up my daughter.

2009-03-10 3:11 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

It's definitely about the surface, I was running with my 8 week old in the BOB without the car seat adapter, with Doctor approval of course.  It's also about your baby's head control.

As for getting stronger wait until you get the double BOB and your pushing a 4 and 3 year old, awesome.  My avatar is how I roll.

2009-03-10 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

yeah - there is something to the power of running with a stroller.

I did a 5K a few years ago with a hellacious half mile straight uphill climb.  I busted a nut getting to the hill, struggled up the hill and some dude pushing his son in a stroller goes flying by me up the hill.

Then again, HE was in shape (unlike me

2009-03-14 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
You guys rock!  I don't even have kids- yet, and can't wait to have a BOB!  I hope my husband will love it too!!

2009-03-14 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2007709

Champion
No excuses!
papson14 - 2009-03-10 4:11 AM

It's definitely about the surface, I was running with my 8 week old in the BOB without the car seat adapter, with Doctor approval of course.  It's also about your baby's head control.

As for getting stronger wait until you get the double BOB and your pushing a 4 and 3 year old, awesome.  My avatar is how I roll.

x2 that is the whole deal, once they have that head control you are good to go

2009-03-16 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Thanks so much for posting this.  We bought the BOB Ironman and the car seat adapter for the same car seat you use.  I'm excited about getting out for a run as soon as I can after having my baby in 3.5 weeks!  I'm glad to hear that it worked just fine on smoother surfaces.  I'll be looking for paths like that.

Congratulations on your baby and keep on running with her!!!

2009-03-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2020656

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
owl_girl - 2009-03-16 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for posting this.  We bought the BOB Ironman and the car seat adapter for the same car seat you use.  I'm excited about getting out for a run as soon as I can after having my baby in 3.5 weeks!  I'm glad to hear that it worked just fine on smoother surfaces.  I'll be looking for paths like that.

Congratulations on your baby and keep on running with her!!!

Well, after asking around a bit more and agonizing over the decision quite a bit, I arrived at a couple decisions-- First, I'll probably wait till at least 8 weeks to run with my daughter, just to be on the safe side. Second, I've actually returned the BOB in favor of a bit more tri-friendly option, the Chariot Cougar 1. It's a modular carrier that works as a trailer and a running stroller (or hiking carrier, or XC ski trailer!) and, unlike Burley's trailers, they look like someone actually thought about the design of the running kit. The cool red/white/silver will match my P2C nicely too.

Just a thought if you're a triathlete and looking around....

2009-03-16 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Hmmmm.  I might have to check that thing out.  I've been leary of buying something that is convertable between a bike carrier and running stroller.  I'm of the opinion that something has been left out in the conversion.  Let me know how it works!
2009-03-16 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I have the Burley D'Lite two seater bike trailer with the running adapters and love it as well.  Really lite but it is was not set up for an infant so I bought one when they got older and hook it up to my mountain bike.  Enjoy you family training.

2009-03-17 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I have the most ancient jogging stroller which I bough used for $75 when I was training for my first 20k nearly 2 years ago.  The thing weighs a ton - so this weekend, we took my 4 1/2 year old (she'll be 5 in July) out for our first family run of the warm-weather season and all bf & I could say was, Boy, she got heavy!  Have fun training w/the little one & be safe!
2009-03-17 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2020927

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC

owl_girl - 2009-03-16 2:10 PM Hmmmm.  I might have to check that thing out.  I've been leary of buying something that is convertable between a bike carrier and running stroller.  I'm of the opinion that something has been left out in the conversion.  Let me know how it works!

I definitely will. The advantage of the Chariot (in my mind and from the reviews I've read) for running, especially with an infant, is that 1. it's completely enclosed and the windows afford some UV protection, 2. The center of gravity is MUCH lower than the BOB w/car seat (assuming the use of the Chariot Infant Sling), 3. the 20" wheels and cushy suspension would make for a bit smoother ride, and 4. less clutter in the garage.

All the reviews I read seem to support the idea that Chariot is something of a gold standard when it comes to these things, so we'll see. I have yet to read anything bad at all about the running and cycling configurations.

The XC ski attachment, though made me wonder-- you could make a little catamaran that you could haul behind you while swimming....

Edited by DrPete 2009-03-17 8:15 AM
2009-04-06 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
We both a Chariot and Ironman BOB stroller.

I like the Chariot hands down, wife like the BOB better.

The Chariot can be had with an infant sling. It provides for head cradling and prevents the little one from bobbing their heads around. We waited till about 3 months and then started to bike and jog with the Chariot no problems. Once the little one was big enough, I passed on the infant sling to a buddy.

I find that the Chariot with a longer wheel base and bigger rear wheels tracks and rolls better than the BOB. Plus I do use the Chariot as a bike trailer quite a bit.

We used the BOB a lot with the car seat bar deal when our little one was very little. It was great for just pulling the seat out of the car and going out and about. For jogging I find it it has a high center of gravity, does not roll or track as well as the Chariot does. Wife likes the BOB because it's lighter, folds down super easy and she finds it easier to turn/maneuver.

Which one does the little one better? No idea. She seems about the same in both. The Chariot does give her more room for toys and things to keep her busy though. With the mesh screen up things can not come out either. We'll also bike or run to a local lake during the summer and picnic. The Chariot can haul a ton of stuff plus the little one.

Edited by magic 2009-04-06 11:43 PM
2009-06-23 2:04 AM

Hello friends.I think we should take the warnings in the manual seriously.I faced similar problem with BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter.I didn't even tried to run with my baby after seeing the warning in manual. So I immedaitely switched over to Icoo Pushchair.It is good to run with it using car seat adapter. I suggest all those who are suffering with this problem to switch over to other strollers.
2009-06-23 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
When my son was born (2.5 years ago) I also tried to buy a jogging stroller but was dissuaded - by my pediatrician - because the vibrations the babies receive have been known to cause disruption to their spinal development before they reach twelve months of age.

When my son turned one, we got the two-seater Chariot Cougar pictured above. I took my six-month old daughter for a run in it for the first time last week and felt pretty confident, but she's also really big (over 20lbs). I don't think I would feel comfortable running with an eight-week old, but that's just me. I suggest talking to your doctor instead of the LBS, but ultimately the decision is your own.

Good luck! The Chariot is really great - my son LOVES being in there.

2009-06-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2236132

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
trysprintolympic - 2009-06-23 7:37 AM When my son was born (2.5 years ago) I also tried to buy a jogging stroller but was dissuaded - by my pediatrician - because the vibrations the babies receive have been known to cause disruption to their spinal development before they reach twelve months of age.

When my son turned one, we got the two-seater Chariot Cougar pictured above. I took my six-month old daughter for a run in it for the first time last week and felt pretty confident, but she's also really big (over 20lbs). I don't think I would feel comfortable running with an eight-week old, but that's just me. I suggest talking to your doctor instead of the LBS, but ultimately the decision is your own.

Good luck! The Chariot is really great - my son LOVES being in there.

I did talk to my pediatrician, and using the chariot with the infant cradle he said we were fine starting at 8 weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BOB Ironman stroller with Infant Car Seat Adapter--Not safe to run???!!! Rss Feed