BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-04-11 7:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: bschulte mentor Group - Closed

Name:  bschulte / Brent
Story:  Started triathlons in 2004 after completing a marathon as a "what's next" and fell in love from the time the first race started.  Moved up in distance and did my first Ironman in 2006.
Family status:  Divorced with 3 kids
Current Training:  I train primarily via HR, utilizing periodizations of 4 weeks.  Raced IMFL last year 9:53:55.
This years races:  ING Georgia Marathon, 3:00:12 - 29th overall - 3rd Masters.
2009 Races:  A races - IMCDA, IMFL  B Races - Rock 'N Rollman Half, Augusta 70.3, C races 3 State 3 Mountain Century, Tuguloo Intl, Peachtree Intl.
Weight loss:  Lost 65 pounds since starting endurance sports
What will make you a good mentor:  I love helping people reach their personal fitness goals and am considered knowledgeable and passionate about training and racing triathlon. 

Edited by bschulte 2009-04-17 3:01 PM

2009-04-16 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2078550

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: bschulte mentor Group - Open
Name:  Ryan
Story:  I started triathlon in 2007 - have always been an athlete but never swam, biked, or ran consistently.  My sister has done IM FL and CdA and gave me her tri bike and got hooked.  I did really well in that first tri and have been hooked ever since.  I completed 2 olympic distance tris last year and finished 6th OA in my last one.  I am looking to compete well at the Oly distance and go sub-5hrs in my two HIM distance events this year.
Family status: Married in January and just a bought a house last Monday!!  This is especially exciting since it has a huge swimmable pond in the backyard, a Lake around the Block, and Lake Michigan 0.5 miles from my house with lots of run trails.
Current Training:  I train primarily via HR as well and train approx 8 hrs/wk currently and planning to peak at 12-14 hrs/wk.
This years races:  10 mile Race on Saturday - first of the year.
2009 Races:  Pokagon Park Oly, Johans Tri Fest Oly, Spirit of Racine HIM, Ludington Oly, Breakwater HIM, Marine Corp Marathon.
What will make you a good mentee:  I have been in the sport for only a short period of time and still have a lot to learn and love to suck up the knowledge from the people on this board.  It has already carried me a long way.  Brent - it looks like you are competing at an elite level and would love to gain from your knowledge of the sport and what got you to that 9:53 in FL!!
2009-04-16 1:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Hi Ryan,

Welcome!  Sounds like you have some great goals established this season.  I am hoping I will be able to help you realize them.  I'll take a look at your logs to get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses.  In the meantime, fire away with those questions.

Brent
2009-04-16 2:18 PM

User image

La Habra, CA
I would like to join you guys.  I will be the slow one of the group.

Name: Geoff
Story:  I watched the first IMAZ about four years ago.  Since then, I have wanted to do triathlons but I didn't really get into it.  At the end of last summer, I realized I was about 60 pounds over my ideal weight, so I started training.  I didn't get into it early enough to do any races last season, so my first will be a sprint in June.  I swam in high school.  I have biked off and on for the last couple years but nothing consistent.  I am new to running but I have been noticing a lot of progress with consistent running.
Current training:  Around six weeks ago I started the BT 20 week olympic run focus plan.  It has me do 3 runs, 2 swims, and 2 bikes a week.  Since I started the plan I have been much more consistent.  I am currently around 6 hours a week, going up to 8 the next couple of weeks.
This years races:  Sprint Tri in Brighton Mi in June.  Olympic in September, not sure which one yet.
Weight Loss:  Dropped from 230 to current 200 since last September
What will make you a good mentee: I am really excited about my first tri, and hope that someday in the future I will be able to do what Brent can do.

Thanks.

Geoff
2009-04-16 2:25 PM

User image

La Habra, CA
I forgot family status.

Family status:  Married.  One year old son.
2009-04-16 3:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Hi Geoff,

Welcome and congratulations on the 30 lbs, very impressive.  Not to worry about being slower, I truly believe it is just as hard for someone running an 11:00 mile to improve 10% as it is for someone running a 6:00 mile to improve 10%.  We are all her to improve.  As someone looking to do their very first tri, you will have hundreds of questions.  Just remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked, so ask away, we all have had the same thoughts somewhere along the journey.

Brent

2009-04-16 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hey Brent - Can you talk a little bit about your 4 week periodization periods and what you try to gain from each of the periods as you prepare for your 'A' events? 

Ryan

2009-04-16 4:28 PM

Brent,
      I would like to join your mentor group.  A little about myself.  I am 29 years old, Married with a 11 month old daughter.  I have always been athletic, basketball being my main sport but am super competitive in baseball, softball, volleyball, and swim team to name a few.  I am 6'6 and as of right now weigh about 250lbs.  Since January of this year I have lost 30lbs.  I live in Lakewood Washington and am stationed at Mcchord AFB.
      This will be my first year in triathlons.  There is an Army base that holds three tri's a year called the triple threat tri's.  Two are sprints and the last is an Olympic distance.  My goal this year is to complete all three.  Long term goal is to be an ironman.
      I train 5 days a week.  I usually ride my bike to work 3.5 miles, then at lunch I take the long way home 10miles, then I usually run 2-5 miles at the end of the day.  Sometimes I do this all week long and sometimes I can only fit in the run.  I go to the Y and get my swimming in.  Currently I got my 500meters time at 7min.  I try to do my swimming as much as possible but since this is my strongest of the three and the one that takes the longest (to get to the pool) I do it when I can.
      I hope there is room for me in this group as I would love to share my stories and ask my questions to someone who has accomplished the goals I have set for myself.  Thanks
~Roy

2009-04-16 5:17 PM

Brent,

Hope you're still open for takers!! My name is Cheryl...Live in PA 25 minutes outside of Philly, will be 41 in a few days, married 17 years w/ 2 beautiful children who drive me to the limit LOL!! I was a swimmer most of my life. Started running about 2 years ago and recently starting biking. Have always been in decent shape and love working out-great feeling of accomplishment! Could stand to lose a few pounds...and am working hard on it.

My sister, who completed her first Ironman in Aug 2008, has inspired me beyond belief!! Being there and the heart of everything just moved me! When she crossed the line the feeling I felt was nothing I have ever felt before....from that point on, I knew I wanted to feel that feeling of accomplishment that she felt.

Since I'm a newbie, I could use all the help and advice I can get! My first tri is July 12th-Philadelphia Womens Tri..I'm currently using a 12 wk training program from the "Training Plans for Mulitisport Athlehtes" and am following the "Total Immersion" program for swimming. Running is a different story..recently told (after I signed up for the tri) that I have arthritis in both hips and lower back so my running has been sporatic depending on the pain. I do the eliptical on the days I can't run. 

My goal is to cross the line and have a good time! Life's too short not to enjoy it!

Thanks!
Cheryl   Cool

2009-04-16 7:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Welcome Roy,

Great to have you aboard.  As another first season triathlete, like Geoff, I'm sure you guys will have a lot of the same questions.

If you are swimming 500 meters in 7 mins, don't worry if you are not making it to the pool too often.  A couple swims a week to maintain is fine.  Most of my training season I only swim twice a week and even now while ramping up training volume for Ironman Coeur d'Alene (IMCDA), I only swim 3 times per week.  focus on your weakness, the weakest link.  It's hard because that usually isn't the sport we like to do.  Rarely in a Tri will the winner have the top time in any of the 3 discipline....but will be consistently in the top 5 in all 3.

More later on that.

Brent
2009-04-16 7:33 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Hi Cheryl,

Welcome, welcome.  It's great that you picked a Women's Tri for your first one.  From what I understand that is the way to go.  I had a spin instructor from the gym I used to go to do her first Tri at a Women's Tri and she was very pleased she did.  I think she put it that it's the best way to get your feet wet (pun intended). 

It sounds like weight loss may be a common topic for discussions.  I can help with some of those questions as well.

Brent 

2009-04-16 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Hi Brent,

My real name is not baldbuyer, it is Lance.  I just happen to be a buyer who shaves his head.  Hopefully you have room for one more in your group, as I have pretty much been training for a while by myself and would like to be able to grab some knowledge from others involved in the sport.

Athletic bio:  I have always been a gym rat until my early 30's, when other responsibilities took their toll.  Last year in about Feb I started running again in an effort to get in reasonable shape to play indoor soccer and it took off from there.  I have dropped from a high of 229lbs to 183lbs currently.  I have been following BT's 20 week tri program for a HIM (I do business with a couple of vendors that are big sponsors of the 70.3 and full iron man events and they threw up a challenge to do the half with them, so here I am at the age of 42 trying to show that I am not too old yet.

Family Status:  Married with one child

Current Training:  Following the BT training plan (as close as possible) for the half, as well as playing indoor soccer

2009 Races:  Rev3 triathlon (HIM distance in June), Boulder Peak tri (Olympic in July), and Rattlesnake Tri (Olympic at end of August) as well as doing the full Denver marathon this year (I did the half in 2008).

Weight loss:  46 lbs since this time last year

Goals this year:  To finish the half in a decent time (if I do and like it, then the wife says we can talk carbon frameset for next year)

Things that I need help with:  Just basic info and a little motivation lift occasionally.  With the Rev3 being my first event as well as the longest distance I will do this year, I have a few small fears of the unknown.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks,

Lance
2009-04-16 8:45 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Hi Lance,

Welcome aboard!  Did I read that correct, your HIM will be your first Tri?  If so, I'm sure you will have additional questions, and if you don't ask them I will ask them for you.  A HIM as your first is a little non-typical, but not unheard of and certain can be done. 

Congrats on your 46 pounds and counting!

Brent
2009-04-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2089651

User image

Alpharetta, GA
rymac - 2009-04-16 4:21 PM

Hey Brent - Can you talk a little bit about your 4 week periodization periods and what you try to gain from each of the periods as you prepare for your 'A' events? 

Ryan

Great question Ryan.

This topic is one which can lead into the general discussion of which "school" of training you will subscribe to, which I won't take it there as it is confusing and in depth.  We can go there if folks want but for now, just some general stuff.

First, the thing most folks don't realize is that you actually get stronger during your rest periods between training session.  You break the muscle fibers down when you train and when they repair or rebuild, they rebuild stronger than before.  This is generalization, but an important point.

A periodization is a block of training, typically 4 weeks, which has some common elements.  These elements deal with intensity levels.  We can go into different intensity levels and their benefits a bit later.  For now I'll just list the different periodizations I use, which are Base, intensity, peak, and race.

The other characteristics of a is how the training durations progress.  Remember the rest statement above?  The periodization takes that into account.  You should never ramp up your volume (miles / mins) too quickly or you could risk injury.  Most experts agree 10-15% increase from period to period or year to year.  An example of this is my periodization.  My total monthly training volume, when looked at weekly falls out as the following percentages

week 1 23%
week 2 26%
week 3 29%
week 4 22%

See how the 4th week is a recovery week.  Then week 1 of the next periodization builds from there.   
2009-04-16 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2090336

User image

Veteran
Denver
Yeah, I know it seems a little bit much to do a HIM as a first event, but I have been doing some decent distance already in training.  I have spent most of my winter working on the swim (weakest link) and am now consistently doing 1.2-1.6 miles in the pool without stopping per workout (usually 3X per week).  Springtime in CO is a little squirrelly on the weather, so I have been using a spin bike and treadmill before work and at lunch to get my workouts in.  I am confident that I can finish the event, now it is just about all of the little nuances that can save me effort and time.  I look forward to your bits of wisdom.

Thanks,

Lance
2009-04-16 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I might as well start asking a couple of questions tonight....so here goes....

1.  Nutrition before the race and during a HIM, what do you use and find that works.  I happen to buy the nutrition supplements and other accessories for a national sporting goods chain, so I have been using myself as a guinea pig, but the thing that I wonder about most is the timing of when to use the GU and other energy/electrolyte items?
2.  Because I have heard horror stories about swimming in so much traffic, what are some of the tactics you would recommend  to a newbie to keep him from having a bad first experience?
3.  I have bought a wetsuit, but haven't tried swimming in it yet....what do I need to know about any chafing possibilities or what is does to my posture in the water?

I am sure that I will think of more, but I don't want to hog the time.

thanks

2009-04-17 2:16 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Can I join?

Here is my story:

I started toying with the idea of doing a triathlon last fall when I was looking for something to do at the gym besides bike. I started the Couch-to-5K program and it actually worked! I had seen Kona on tv (like a lot of people) and thought it looked like fun ... until they got to the "now run a marathon" part. So starting to run was the missing piece for me. Once, I started running, I remembered how much fun it all looked and found out about the Sprint distance. It all seemed very doable so I took the plunge.

I'm doing my first Sprint triathlon on Sunday. I feel very prepared and I'm excited and hope for a decent showing (i.e., running a good race, not placing or anything - I'm too slow for that).

Then I did something insane... I signed up for an Olympic Tri two weeks from now -- on a very hilly course! It was kind of like taking up this sport to start with. I just felt compelled to do it even though I knew it wasn't sensible.

I also have Sprint distance races scheduled for June and Aug. and I'm doing a 2 day bike ride in Sept.

At this point, I feel like my training has been going well, but it's too haphazard for me to move up to the next level. I'd like to do the longer distances some day and I need to maximize what I'm doing because my training time is limited. Plus I've been reading about all this equipment and all these training techniques and my head is reeling.

Hence the need for mentoring.
2009-04-17 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Hi Brent: Would love to join your group if there's room. Based on your history in tri I think you could be a great mentor for me where I am right now with my triathlon training;

Name: Michelle Burkhart
Story: Started doing tri's in 2007 after years of watching Ironman on TV, started with an Olympic distance, do alot of running races (mostly to qualify for the NYC Mary) and last year also completed my first Century and first HIM in October
Current Training: HR and whatever I can manage with my work schedule
This years races: 9 running races from 4M to 1/2 Mary, 3rd yr. NYC Olympic, HIM (maybe) and (gulp) IMFL in November

I have always used the BT training plans for my training. I'm pretty good at sticking to a plan but have sooo many questions about the full distance. It would be great to work with someone that has done this race and has some insight. I think I could be doing so many things that would make my races better but I'm just not sure what.
Thanks!Smile

Michelle

2009-04-17 7:01 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Good Morning Marie,

Welcome aboard.  I noticed you are not sharing your log data, assuming you keep log data.  I know it's hard at first to get past the "privacy" feelings with showing your training data, but that will be key for mentoring you.  Remember everyone is here to improve and it isn't about who can train the fastest, in fact for a majority of the training going fast is wrong.  What I'm saying is think about if you are comfortable showing your log data, it will be helpful.  This site has some great analysis tool to show your progress over time which is one reason folks who are no longer beginners stay here.  As you all know it's a great community.

Not much advice I can give for this weekends race other than to have fun and "take it all in".  You will always remember your first race.  You will probably have plenty of great questions after the race that the others in the group will benefit from.

Good luck!

Brent
2009-04-17 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2090550

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-04-16 11:44 PM I might as well start asking a couple of questions tonight....so here goes....

1.  Nutrition before the race and during a HIM, what do you use and find that works.  I happen to buy the nutrition supplements and other accessories for a national sporting goods chain, so I have been using myself as a guinea pig, but the thing that I wonder about most is the timing of when to use the GU and other energy/electrolyte items?
2.  Because I have heard horror stories about swimming in so much traffic, what are some of the tactics you would recommend  to a newbie to keep him from having a bad first experience?
3.  I have bought a wetsuit, but haven't tried swimming in it yet....what do I need to know about any chafing possibilities or what is does to my posture in the water?

I am sure that I will think of more, but I don't want to hog the time.

thanks

Lance,

Great questions.  I'll take them in order.

1.  Nutrition- So two areas here.  I like to call them macro-nutrition and micro-nutrition (just my words).  Macro refers to the bigger all around picture.  Like how you eat, breakdown of carbs to fat to protein, supplements, etc.  Micro refers to race day, which I think is your question, so I'll answer this one as micro.

First and foremost NEVER do anything on race day you haven't already tried at least once, but preferable several times.  You have to know how your body will react to different foods as well as timing of taking those foods in relation to racing.  So you are going to want to "practice" your morning eating, practice your nutrition, which I call "fuel" while training, preferably at the same exertion level as you will be racing.  Here is what I do (BTW I have lists for all of this stuff on my blackberry....I love lists

This is for HIM and IM racing so you may want to adjust to a little less breakfast for shorter distances, or maybe not

Breakfast 3 hrs before start

-2 oatmeal (dry mix packets)

-coffee (up to 2 cups)

-bagel

-banana 30 minutes before

-gel 10 minutes before

I am one of those people that can do on a pretty full stomach so use the bagel to throttle the food back.  Again this is just an example.

during race nutrition:

This one is very individual.  For me, I have to have some solids in my stomach at some point for the longer races so I mix in some Cliff bars to get that.  You may no need that and can go with gels.  Most of this applies to HIM and IM racing, which you will need to know, as when you get to that race duration you have to supplement your glycogen stores with fuel as you just aren't going to make it without (we can get into this at some point if folks would like).  A couple concepts I employ are the bike is when you "get the fuel in".  Have a nutrition plan and try to stick to it like glue.  Last, practice your plan often.  The first, your body will be able to get fuel in on the bike much more so than the run, so use that time.  My watch has a countdown timer which runs in the background (in addition to the race time) which beeps at me every 15 mins.  This keeps me on my nutrition plan.  You would be amazed at how time can get away from you and next thing you know you missed your fueling step by 20 mins (that can be a disaster you may not be able to recover from).  Lastly, I follow my plan for every long bike ride (greater than 2 hrs) so I know my body knows how to deal with it and is comfortable.  I fuel every 15 mins, which I will share.  I do this so my blood sugar never dips.  If you eat a whole Cliff bar on the hour your blood sugar will drop that last 20 mins or so before you eat again and it's tough to race when that happens.  Also, it is tough for your stomach to take all the fuel in at one time.  So I cut the bars into 1/4's and just eat a 1/4 at a time every 15 mins.  Works great for me.  Here is my HIM plan:  BTW when I say gel after the race start I mean a hit from my gel flask (small bottle which holds up to 5 gels).  A hit is probably 2/3 of an actual gel packet)  Also, salt refers to salt tablets.  I'm a heavy sweater and I will experience leg cramps in the last have of the run if I don't supplement my salt with tablets.  You probably won't need this.

1/2 Ironman race nutrition

:30 gel post swim

:45 bar (1/4 cliff bar)

1:00 bar

1:15 gel

1:30 bar

1:40 salt tab (lava salt)

1:45 bar

2:00 gel

2:10 salt

2:15 bar

2:30 bar

2:40 salt

2:45 bar (extra bar to put something in stomach for run)

3:00 gel

3:05 salt (before getting off bike)

3:15 gel (about 2/3 of an actual gel)

3:30 gel

3:35 salt

3:45 gel

4:00 gel

4:05 salt

4:15 gel

4:30 gel

If hot, salt every 20 min. for 3 per hour

hydrate at each aid station, plus 1/4 fuelbelt bottle every mile

Need 4 gels in flask for bike, put in 5 to be safe, plus 1 at start

Need 7 1/4 cliff bars for bike, put in 8 to be safe

Need 4 gels in run flask, put in 5 to be safe

2.  Swim start.  For your first one, I would recommend staying toward the back and to the outside (opposite side the first turn buoy turns to).  As you've no doubt read the start is chaos.  Just stay clear of it.  It will only take about 1 min or less for this chaos to clear out, then you can start.  Because you will be swimming in "clearer" water you will probably do the swim faster this way.

3.  Wetsuit.  I would suggest you see if you can get a few open water swims in with it.  As far as chaffing.  Bodyglide is your best friend.  Apply it to the front and back of your elbows and knees, and extra on the back of your neck to avoid what is called a "wetsuit kiss".  Every time you look up and turn your head to breath it rubs there.  If you don't put BG there it will rub raw.  I have seen folks on the run who have bleeding wetsuit kisses, not fun.  Also apply some BG to your ankles to aid in getting it off.

Hope this all helps. 

2009-04-17 7:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Michelle,

Welcome!  I'd be happy to help with your IMFL prep.  I've done that race twice as well as the Gulf Coast HIM twice, which is pretty much the same course.  The discussion around HIM and IM racing may get a little off topic for the folks looking to race shorter races, but it is good stuff to know as if you catch the "what's next" bug and start considering a HIM or an IM in the future you will have some additional knowledge to build off of.

Brent

2009-04-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2090386

User image

La Habra, CA
bschulte - 2009-04-16 10:12 PM
rymac - 2009-04-16 4:21 PM

Ryan

Great question Ryan.

This topic is one which can lead into the general discussion of which "school" of training you will subscribe to, which I won't take it there as it is confusing and in depth.  We can go there if folks want but for now, just some general stuff.

First, the thing most folks don't realize is that you actually get stronger during your rest periods between training session.  You break the muscle fibers down when you train and when they repair or rebuild, they rebuild stronger than before.  This is generalization, but an important point.

A periodization is a block of training, typically 4 weeks, which has some common elements.  These elements deal with intensity levels.  We can go into different intensity levels and their benefits a bit later.  For now I'll just list the different periodizations I use, which are Base, intensity, peak, and race.

The other characteristics of a is how the training durations progress.  Remember the rest statement above?  The periodization takes that into account.  You should never ramp up your volume (miles / mins) too quickly or you could risk injury.  Most experts agree 10-15% increase from period to period or year to year.  An example of this is my periodization.  My total monthly training volume, when looked at weekly falls out as the following percentages

week 1 23%
week 2 26%
week 3 29%
week 4 22%

See how the 4th week is a recovery week.  Then week 1 of the next periodization builds from there.   

I have a follow up question on the periodization.  In the BT plan I am following the rest week is every 4th week.  It goes:

Week 1: Base week
Week 2: +10%
Week 3: +10%
Week 4:  -40%

This week was my 4th week.  I didn't feel, however, that I needed a true rest week, except for my running.  It seemed odd to me to cut back on my swimming when I am swimming only twice a week.  Same thing with biking.  So this week I only cut back my running, and kind of cut back my biking.  Should I also have cut back my swimming?  Is this just evidence that I am not pushing my swimming and biking enough?  At this point my volume is still low so I will probably notice it more when my volume is higher.  Thanks.

Geoff
2009-04-17 8:57 AM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Hey Brent hope I can still join.

My name is Matt McElroy live in sunny Port Charlotte Florida. Was bit by the bug a while back but never did anything about it until I ran my first marthon. Time was nothing to brag about did the fatal mistake went out to fast. I have two brothers who train also one competes competitively in duathlons (cant swim) and the other is having fun in full tris. Always enjoyed exercising and having a blast mixing the trng up with the different exercising. Love to swim but trained by the military to do sidestroke can do it all day if I had too. LG at the pool just look at me sideways or is that me looking at them.

I am married to with two kids (13 and 6) both beautiful girls. I work as a Fireman down here and my wife is a teacher at a local Elementary school. Great schedule because I have two days off to get trng done.

Currently doing the BG tri for olympic distance 10 wk schedule had to shave a week off for the upcoming race.  Olympic distance May 9 "Sharkstri" in Sarasota which will be my first.

I have only done a few races Gasparilla Marathon 09, and a 5k last year with my wife. I enjoy training for a goal. It gives it some closure.  Upcoming races are Olympic Sharks tri, and Miami man half on Nov if  I get signed up for the thing. Maybe throw in another couple other races a sprint and olympic before the half. I hope to do a Full Iron next year. Just dont want to push myself to hard now so I dont get burned.

I have lost about 10 lbs since the first of the year problem is like others I like to eat. Been logging my meals so it makes me think about that bowl of cereal at night. I have been using the trn log which is a nice tool to keep track.  I stay on a set schedule pretty good. I may move the days around but will definitely get the time in. I feel like I am cheating if I dont stick to the schedule.

Hope I can get some help on some questions and read all these blogs. Thanks Matt
2009-04-17 9:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Welcome Matt,

I'll bet you are waiting until after your first race to sign up for the half   Sign up, you'll do fine.  Congrats on your marathon, that's quite an accomplishment, be proud and don't worry about the time, just getting it done is awesome!

Brent
2009-04-17 11:23 AM

Regular
Soutwest Florida

No not really I think I could do it now but dont want to make an azz out of myself and be hurting for a week afterwards. I want to train properly for it. That is one thing I realized to do if you put in the proper trng you can do it. Wish I would have started this sooner. Oh yeah and waiting til pay day to drop another $$$. Have to make the boss happy too. Smile She thinks I am crazy but she knows that is what she married.  Questions:

1. belts? For the longer distances to carry gel and hydration. I did for the marathon it drove me crazy or should I count on the race liquids.

2. Trng schedule if you read mine I mix things up I put in the distances required but probably not on the right days how important is that?

3. How long should I give myself to train for a HIM?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14