of 46

2009-12-12 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Experior (Michael)

STORY:

I'm an adult-onset athlete.  When I turned 40 in May of 2008, I realized how unhappy I was with how I looked and felt.  I quit drinking so much and started running, but quickly got injured.  Then I figured out that there are better and worse ways to train, and started to educate myself about training. I did my first marathon 6 months later and BQ'd (3:20), and from there I was hooked on endurance sport.  In the following year, I did a season of tris and running races at all distances from sprint to ironman.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 14 years, with three children aged 4, 6, and 8.

CURRENT TRAINING: Next year I aim to get fast(er).  I am especially focused on gaining speed in the water and on the bike.  Right now, I'm building volume as well in preparation for HIM training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2009 highlights for me were White Lake HIM (5:26), IMKY (12:05), and the South Carolina HIM (5:13).  I think that I still have a lot of speed to find, and I'm going to spend this year trying to find it, in preparation for another run at IM in 2011.

2010 RACES:  My main races this year are the new Charleston (SC) HIM and the Myrtle Beach HIM.  I'll be doing several sprints, and an Oly, in there as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 30lbs during the summer of 2008, and 10 more since.  I gained some weight after IMKY this year.  I thnk my ideal weight is 10lbs less than what I have now, so that's a goal for this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: 
l spend a lot of time learning as much as possible about training and racing.  I still have loads to learn, and I look forward to doing so.  I love learning as much as possible about S/B/R.  Let's learn together!

Edited by Experior 2009-12-15 2:13 PM

2009-12-12 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - OPEN

Michael,

I'd like to participate in your Mentor Group.  FYI...I was born in Summerville, SC and am the son of a Navel Office who was stationed in Charleston in the 70's.  I attended Hunley Park Elementary and lived in Hunley Park for about 4 years.  Also lived in Menriv Park prior to Hunley Park.  I Understand Hunley Park is no longer part of the Navel Housing since selling the Navel Base, but has been rebuilt. 

I am on BT daily and log my workouts regularly.

Anyway....

Story...  I am a 46 old Male who has lost 60 some lbs. in the last two years through Weight Watchers and still attend as Life Time Member.  Our WW leader challenged me to do some thing more than just watch what I was eating.  I didn't like to exercise just to exercise, but want it to go to something that I was working towards so I signed up for a Tri-It Triathlon and began a training program last March.  I have participated in Sports all the way through College.  I have been hooked since and am now training for a 10K in January.  My run is one of my goals to work on this winter as well as my bike fitness.  Do OK in the swim, at least comfortable with where I am at right now.  Belong to the local tri club and serve as the Website Tri Club Coordinator for our  Willamette Valley Tri Club. 

Family:  I am happily married for 23 years with an 8yr. old son and live in Salem, Oregon.  I am a big Oregon Duck Fan.  Hopefully you won't hold that against me.

Profession:  Work as a Public School Administrator Coordinating Special Programs/Classrooms for Students with Disabilities.

Current Training:  I have been training for a 10K in Jan. plus participate in weekly Indoor Cycling Class (2X's), do core strength training two times a week and try to swim at least once a week.  Will begin in Feb./March using an Olympic Distance Training Program in preparation for my first Sprint Race.

2009 Races:  Did two Tri-Its and one full sprint.  Medaled as a Clydesdale in my first full-sprint and last race of the year.  I will confess there was only two of us in the 40 over Clydesdale, however, going in I thought there would be at least three of us so raced knowing that.  Anyway I was proud of it none the less.

2010 Races:  Will race in 3 Sprints and hopefully 1 or 2 Olympic distance races with the idea of doing All Olympic distances in 2011 along with Boise 70.3 Ironman in 2011 or 2012.  At some point I want to work towards an Ironman Distance Race (Maybe for my 50th Birthday).

Weightloss:  Would like to get down to 190 lbs. again.  Right now I am about 203 - 205 range.  Very doable.  Just need to get after it.  Ever since I started training for Tris I have been hungry all the time, but eating the wrong foods.

Interesting things about me:  Looked up a a Elementary School friend last year who I knew in Hunley Park.  Goggled his name and it turns out he is an Architect who still lives in Charleston.  We have kept in touch via e-mail.

Look forward to a reply... Take Care.

2009-12-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2556128

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-12 11:44 PM

Michael,

I'd like to participate in your Mentor Group.  FYI...I was born in Summerville, SC and am the son of a Navel Office who was stationed in Charleston in the 70's.  I attended Hunley Park Elementary and lived in Hunley Park for about 4 years.  Also lived in Menriv Park prior to Hunley Park.  I Understand Hunley Park is no longer part of the Navel Housing since selling the Navel Base, but has been rebuilt. 

I am on BT daily and log my workouts regularly.

Anyway....

Story...  I am a 46 old Male who has lost 60 some lbs. in the last two years through Weight Watchers and still attend as Life Time Member.  Our WW leader challenged me to do some thing more than just watch what I was eating.  I didn't like to exercise just to exercise, but want it to go to something that I was working towards so I signed up for a Tri-It Triathlon and began a training program last March.  I have participated in Sports all the way through College.  I have been hooked since and am now training for a 10K in January.  My run is one of my goals to work on this winter as well as my bike fitness.  Do OK in the swim, at least comfortable with where I am at right now.  Belong to the local tri club and serve as the Website Tri Club Coordinator for our  Willamette Valley Tri Club. 

Family:  I am happily married for 23 years with an 8yr. old son and live in Salem, Oregon.  I am a big Oregon Duck Fan.  Hopefully you won't hold that against me.

Profession:  Work as a Public School Administrator Coordinating Special Programs/Classrooms for Students with Disabilities.

Current Training:  I have been training for a 10K in Jan. plus participate in weekly Indoor Cycling Class (2X's), do core strength training two times a week and try to swim at least once a week.  Will begin in Feb./March using an Olympic Distance Training Program in preparation for my first Sprint Race.

2009 Races:  Did two Tri-Its and one full sprint.  Medaled as a Clydesdale in my first full-sprint and last race of the year.  I will confess there was only two of us in the 40 over Clydesdale, however, going in I thought there would be at least three of us so raced knowing that.  Anyway I was proud of it none the less.

2010 Races:  Will race in 3 Sprints and hopefully 1 or 2 Olympic distance races with the idea of doing All Olympic distances in 2011 along with Boise 70.3 Ironman in 2011 or 2012.  At some point I want to work towards an Ironman Distance Race (Maybe for my 50th Birthday).

Weightloss:  Would like to get down to 190 lbs. again.  Right now I am about 203 - 205 range.  Very doable.  Just need to get after it.  Ever since I started training for Tris I have been hungry all the time, but eating the wrong foods.

Interesting things about me:  Looked up a a Elementary School friend last year who I knew in Hunley Park.  Goggled his name and it turns out he is an Architect who still lives in Charleston.  We have kept in touch via e-mail.

Look forward to a reply... Take Care.

Welcome!  That's a great story.  I'm also the son of a naval officer -- a pilot stationed in Pensacola, FL.  He's from your part of the woods -- Washington State, then Portland, OR, though now he lives here in SC. 

Together we can work on losing that last 10 lbs or so.
2009-12-14 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Michael,

This looks like the group for me... aging, slightly overweight family guys.  Safe on all fronts.  So, here comes the abridged story.

Story:  I've been watching that darn Kona Ironman for years and it's always enthralled me.   Loved swimming and biking, but *HATED* running, so triathlons never made it to the front burner.  Fast forward 10 years or so and for the heck of it, I started running a bit with my father-in-law (who, at 75, is a force to be reckoned with).  Managed to work my way up to a half-marathon 3 years ago (still didn't particularly like running), did my first triathlon (a rather challenging sprint) and then the knee problems started.  After physical therapy, etc., I slowly worked my way back to 5Ks (albeit slower) and this year did a full season of running (several 10Ks and a 1/2 Mary) and triathlons (3 Sprints and 1 Olympic).  Finished the year with a 1/2 Mary at 2.01 which was 10 minutes faster than 3 years ago.  Hot damn!  So, here I sit, heading into the year of the big 5-0, still a Clydesdale (but down 30 pounds from my worst days) and thinking, maybe I could do a HIM.  So that's my whisper goal... and I saw that you did White Lake... which is an early possibility if spring training goes well... otherwise I will take aim at REV3 at Cedar Point with my Brother-In-Law... who is a way-too-fast Clydesdale.  A total animal.  But he's also just turning 40, so we'll see how he's doing in 10 years :-)

Family Status:  Married for 27 years with one daughter who is a senior in high school.  Empty nest, here we come.  My wife gets to the gym every now and then, is not a training partner, but generally supportive of my habits.

Current Training:  I've had a few down weeks.  I expect that will continue until the 2nd week of Jan when I plan to begin training in earnest.  Hope to focus more on the bike this year.  I think that is where I can improve the most.

2009 Season:  3 Sprints (Charlottesville, Richmond 3Sports, Culpeper), 1 Olympic (Giant Acorn), several 10Ks, Richmond 1/2 Mary.  I was really happy with this year.  Did more than I expected. 

2010 Races:
  Charlottesville 10 Miler (a local favorite), might try to sneak in a triathlon in Florida if I go down for a longer visit with my Mom.  Otherwise, 3 or 4 local sprint tris (Virginia Series), one Olympic, and then either White Lake or REV3 is the big goal.  But, the overarching objective is to be in good shape, have fun, and stay injury free.  And that all comes after family and work.

Weightloss:  Yep.  I'm 209 as of today.  Down from 240 several years back.  I'd like to exercise my way out of the Clydesdales.  Probably 190 is what I should be.  Lost 10 pounds between Jan 1 and April 1 last year and have been stuck between 207 and 212 since then.  Ack.

What will make me a good member of your group:
  I stumbled upon BT about a month ago and am really enjoying it.  I will plan on being an active poster in the group and share and exchange ideas.  I've had some real ups and downs when it comes to training, have learned patience the hard way, and am now much more reasonable about my goals.  I'll work hard at it, but I try to keep my priorities in line.  I tend to train solo, so I'm very much looking forward to being part of a group for mutual support and encouragement. 

Cheers,
Stu

2009-12-15 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stu,

Welcome!  Train solo with group support.  That's generally my style too.  White Lake is a well-run race.  The swim is gorgeous -- perfectly clear water to the bottom of the lake.
2009-12-15 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Hi Michael,

I'd also like to join your group if you're still taking participants.

Stone Cutter (Mike)

STORY:

I'm a 32 year old Chicagoan who, after living abroad and in DC for the better part of the past 6 years, has returned home. As nice as it is to be back, Chicago can be conducive to packing on some pounds: winters are harsh; the hot dogs, brats and polish are really tasty; and drinking beer ranks rather high among the most popular social activities.  I've also become rather lazy when it comes to physical exercise and as a result I'm a solid 25lbs overweight.

A family member recently swam the English Channel and this incredible achievement inspired me to get myself back into shape and to set some sort of challenging goal.  I swam competitively as a youth, raced road bikes in high school and have always been able to run, so the triathlon seemed like an obvious choice.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been with my wife, Nina, for 10 years; we were married in Costa Rica in 2006.  Much to my mother in-law's chagrin, no kids just yet. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently nursing some nasty shin splints brought about by running a half marathon on very little training (see my race report...)  Just starting to swim easy laps and am in the process getting an old road bike up and running.  I ride a bicycle here in Chicago for transportation and leisure so I am not starting entirely from scratch on the bike.

2009 RACES: I ran a half marathon in May (1:43+) and a half in September (1:39+). 

2010 RACES and GOALS:  I will be running another half marathon in early spring; I plan on participating in sprint and Olympic tris in late-spring and will race the 70.3 Racine in July.  My training over the next 7 months will focus on the 70.3, and it is my intention to break 5 hours.  Doing all of this without injuring myself is, I feel, the biggest challenge facing me for 2010.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 25lbs.  I'm currently tipping the scales at 180lbs but my frame was designed to carry about 155lbs max. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 
l am willing and able to research and learn about training safely and effectively, and am very eager to make strides towards losing weight and racing the 70.3.  I am committed to my fitness and racing goals and am looking forward to sharing this experience with others in the group.

2009-12-15 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Mike!  Sub 5hrs is also one of my goals for this year.

Swimming is a great way to get back into things after a rough race.  I used swimming to get back into training after a 1/2 marathon this fall that I got knocked out of -- literally! 

Speaking of which, I'm off to swim for lunch.  I'll check in on everybody tonight.

2009-12-15 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Hi guys, If there's room count me in:

Story...  I'm a 40 year old entering his third (or second and a half) tri season.  I did my first race, a sprint, 16 months ago on two days notice with zero open water swimming experience and a 20 year old mountain bike.  I began running a couple years ago after starting a business and beginning to put on weight .  A friend of mine who's a long time endurance athlete got me in to tri and has been a great training buddy.  Living here in South Florida is great for a endurance sports newbie since there's lots of folks to train with and the great weather means no real off-season.  I was never fast at anything, even as a kid, so I don't really have much of an athletic background to support this kind of training, but I'm working on it. 

Family:  I've been with my wife since '88 and married since '97.  We have 3 kids ages 9, 7 and 5.  Our newest addition is a 9 month old lab/german shepherd mix who is more work than the kids, but a better running partner.

Profession:  I have a wine shop just 5 blocks from home.  I've been in the wine biz since I was 19.

Current Training:  My last race was a HIM in November and I've been taking it easy ever since.  This is the busiest time of year for me so I won't really get back in to my routine until January.  My usual training load is somewhere between 5-10 hours a week.  I'm a slow swimmer and runner but a decent cyclist.

2009 Races:  I did 5 or six races last season.  We have a great Oli in Miami that draws a lot of pros and I'll do it again this year.  In summertime it's so hot that all the local races are sprints and I did 3 of those plus a couple 5Ks.  I finished last season with the MiamiMan HIM.

2010 Races:  I'm planning on doing the Miami International Tri in March like I did last year.  I'll probably do the Ironman branded 70.3 in October instead of MiamiMan because the course and location look great.  Aside from that I'm sure I'll do 2-3 sprints and hopefully another Oli in September as a tune up for the HIM.

Weightloss:  I'm 6'1" and I've gone from 240 down to about 210.  I could probably whittle my way down to maybe 195 by late Summer if I drop weight training, or get really good with the diet.  I weight trained and fought jiu jitsu for years and my walking around weight when I was in fighting shape was 195-200 with about 9-10% BF.

Goals: Last year was my first full tri season so I'm looking forward to improving this year now that I have some experience and a fitness base.  I'd like to use that March Oli and October HIM as A races and see how much time I can carve off the same races from 2009.  I'd really like to improve my running by building more intensity and speedwork in to my training.  I'd like to be a better swimmer too.  I'd love to get some coaching if the time and money to make it happen somehow converge.  There are no pools that fit my work/family schedule so I only OW swim in the ocean.  I do belong to a OW swim group so there is an opportunity to train with others 3x/week.

Thanks,

Pete 
2009-12-15 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior I would like to be counted in. Looks like I fit in best with your group.

Story...  49 and have been inactive for 15 years. I had chronic foot and ankle pain during that time because of a couple of failed ankle fusions. Found a Orthopedic surgeon just back from Iraq who fixed the foot deformity. I have an ankle and subtal fusion but was released to run. Triathlons seem to be a good fit for me because 2/3 of the activity is none weight bearing. 6/20 start at 298 and started running in early August. Currently down to 249.

Family:
  Married 28 years. 3 Kids. Daughter married. Son in college. Youngest son HS and very talented volleyball player. 6'6" middle attacker.

Profession:  
 Production manager.

Current Training:
 Doing the Higdon 1/2 marathon plan with cycling and swimming crosstraing. Have been logging my workouts.

2009 Races:  None

2010 Races:
  Go St. Louis 1/2 Marathon. 2-3 Sprints this summer

Weightloss:
  Immediate goal is to get down to 210 eventually 185.

Goals: 
 Because of some physical limitations I have no dreams of being an elite triathlete. I just want to have fun, get healthy and eventually do an Oly or HIM.

2009-12-15 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
I would like to join your group if it's still open.

Story:  52 year old female who impulsively signed up for IMAZ 2010.

Family Status:  Married almost 30 years, 6 children, 13, 15 and 18 year old sons still at home.

Profession:  Audiologist, I work 32 hours/week

2010 races:  tentatively,
Toyota Desert Tri Oly--March
Barb's Race !/2--July
IMAZ-November

I have done a half,  mostly oly's and a few marathons.  My endurance is pretty good however I am slow and worried about cut off times.

Current Training:  Quitting Diet Coke, losing 10 lbs and maintaining a base with spin classes and treadmill runs mostly.  I plan to start Oly plan after Christmas and bridge to half/full plan.

Thanks.

2009-12-15 12:42 PM

Hello,
       I would like to join this group. My name is Lina.

Story: I am 30 years old with no prior athletic background. Never did any racing or participated in any sports until this year. In 2008 I had gained a bit of weight, so decided to do something about it. I have a hard time doing anything without an end goal in mind. So was struggling a bit with working out. Then I saw a poster for an Indoor Tri at the gym. I was familiar with triathlons as my younger brother-in-law was into triathlons. So, decided to give it a shot and rest is history.

Family Status: Been married for almost 6 years. No kids.

Profession: Work as a Project Manager for a Non-for-Profit in MA.

2009 Racing Season: 1 indoor triathlon, 3 sprint triathlons (was the last female to finish in 2 of the 3 triathlons) and a few 5K's. My best time for a sprint was 2:07:30 at my last spring triathlon in September.

2010 Racing Plans: Would like to do 2 of the 3 spring triathlons I did this year, plus at least 1 oly distance. Also, would like to do a couple 5K's and at least 1 10K in March timeframe (not a runner really and am struggling after a couple of foot and knee injuries this year, so I don't know if any of this is realistic). I had too many injuries this year, so for the upcoming year, I would like to train in a more consistent and careful manner so that I can get stronger and faster without injuring myself.

I really have no athletic ability, so everything is a struggle. But am willing to push through it all. Seems like all of you guys have much more experience and tri background than I do, so let me know if I may not be a good fit. Otherwise, I would like to be a part of the team.

Thank you,
Lina.

2009-12-15 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Count me in if you have room.

I'm 41 and decided in the summer of 08 that I needed to make a change when I was gasping for air running a couple of hundred yards trying to teach my daughters to ride their bikes. Since then i've lost about 40 lbs  down to 170. I'm married with identical twin 8 yo girls and an insane   2.5 yo Vizsla.

for 09 I did a 5k and a duathlon.

for 10' i'm planning a couple of du's, 2 sprints and a Oly.

I'd still like to get down to 160 and i like the idea of some accountability as my training has been slipping lately.

2009-12-15 12:49 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Hey there, I'd like to join the program as well.

38 years old, will be competiing in my first sprint in March of 2010.
Current Residence: Greenville, SC

Just began training about a month ago.  Cycling has always been a strong point, so I am concentrating on the running and swimming.  Never really "swam" before 4 weeks ago, so that has been a struggle.  Am able to make a few laps, but still need work on technique and endurance.  I have hired a swim coach.
2009-12-15 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Name: Sylvain

I believe this is the group for me, can I join?

STORY: Had a very active lifestyle, then stopped all when had first child 5 years ago. For my standard I was in terrible shape and was starting to worry about keeping up with my daughter when she became a teen. I want her to be active also and she will need to learn from somewhere. One day I fell upon an article titled "Train like a triathlete to get in shape fast". I read the article and was hooked. Couple days later I started running in my yard (5 acres), 30 seconds run, 30 sec walk. I started searching for info on triathlon, found BT, sign up. Browsed around and found the couch to 5K program. This was in Aug/07. Not having access to Bike or pool, I stuck to running. Finnished my first Half Marathon in May/08, then first Marathon in September/08. Ran two Marathons in 2009, plus a 30K and 10K running race. Now, 2010, is the season I will race some Tri sprints. I found a gym that has all facilities for my indoor (winter) training (swim, bike (stationary & spin classes), treadmills, and equipment for core workouts). My ultimate goal is IM before I'm 45.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, with two children aged 5 and 2.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last four weeks I've not done any training, only played hockey once a week. Joining this group so I can get my legs moving again. I normaly don't need lot of pushing to train, but I'm hoping this will help me stay consistant.

2009 RACES: 30K around the Bay Hamilton, Canada - Ottawa Marathon Ottawa, Canada - 10K Oshawa Canada -Scotia Waterfront Marathon Toronto, Canada.

2010 RACES: 30K Around the Bay, Tri sprints - not decided yet so many to choose from.

WEIGHTLOSS: Nice to have but not wasting energy on it. Need my energy to SWIM, BIKE and RUN, oh! lets not forget some CORE workouts.
2009-12-15 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Guys! Can I join your group?

Story: I'm 41 year old who became interested in Tri's in 2008.  I had made several lifestyle changes that year, and was looking for new ways to push myself. Doing a Tri, seemed I did one sprint race that year, and was motivated to work harder in '09. I'm slow, but I have fun!

Family Status: Married for 8 years. 3 kids, age 19, 7 and 3. My husband has done 2 tri's with me, but hates the swim. So he isn't planning to do any more. My 7 year old loves watching and helping me train!

Current Training: My goals for the winter are to work up to a 10k. (chronic foot injuries have prevented this for the past several years.) And, to get stronger/faster on the bike.

2009 Races: Northern Columbia tri- which some one said should've been a "Sproly" the bike was 20 miles and the run was 4.5.
      The DACC Sprint, and the 2nd annual Home Tri (sprint).

2010 Races: Not sure- I want to repeat the 3 races from '09, and add an Oly.

Weightloss: Not a big issue for me, but around the holidays I struggle a little.

What will make me a good addition to the group: I participate frequently. I'm motivated to improve. I love the camraderie, and accounability of a group.

Thanks,
Heidi
2009-12-15 1:54 PM

User image

Regular

Is there room for one more?

Story
I, too, am an adult-onset athlete.  Quickly approaching 40, I've decided to start exercising with the goal of competing in triathlons starting this spring.  Over the past 3 years, I've gone from 230 to 174 with a goal of dropping another 10 pounds before the season starts.  I'm running 3x / week (currently 12 miles total) and biking for an hour 2x / week.  With my base fitness now at a reasonable level, I am planning on hitting the pool 3x / week after the holidays.

Family

I'm happily married for 12 years with 2 kids (8 / 6).

2010 Racing Goals

My goal is to complete 5 sprints in 2010 with a stretch goal of one additional Oly at the end of the season.

- Mark

2009-12-15 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi Michael and everyone else.... If there's still room, I'd like to join as well.

Name:  Matt, but please call me Scout.

My Story:  I'm 41, a husband and father of a 9 year old boy.  I started running about 18 months ago to drop some weight, and to date have lost 40 lbs max, but I put a few back on since the weather got cold (my birthday and thanksgiving were killers).  I'm about 10 lbs over where I'd like to be.   I'm also the Den Leader and Cubmaster of my son's cub scout pack (hence the name Scout).  These two jobs are a huge time commitment, but I truly love every minute of it.  In fact, I sometimes think that I have more fun with scouts than my son does.

Current training:  I usually run between 25 and 30 miles a week, but will be looking to push this up a little over the winter.  With regards to running,  I want to focus on speed and endurance this off season.  Seems like a paradox I know, but I want to be able to comfortably finish a 1/2 marathon, as well as knock some significant time off of my 5K pr.  I'm swimming 2 or 3 days a week usually somewhere around 2000 yards at a time.   I did, however, just last week complete 2200 yards in the pool with no rest breaks - more on the significance of this in a bit...  Bike training will begin shortly.  I'm in the process of moving my group set from my old bike to a new frame.  I should be done with that in a week or so.  I've also discovered, that I can't 'wing it' when it comes to my training.  I need to have a plan down on paper that I can follow so I don't run hard too many times a week, or skip a speed workout.

2009 races:  My first two sprints.  The first was actually a long sprint...1/2 swim ~ 18 bike ~ 5K.  The run was my first trail run ever, and the bike was full of hills!  It was awesome!  The second was 1/4 swim ~ 12 bike ~ 5K.  I also ran a bunch of 5k's and my first 1/2 was the Philly distance run.  I wanted to break 2 hours, and I did...barely, but I did!

2010 races:  I'm just about to register for the Delaware 1/2 marathon in May, and I'm going to do my first 1/2 iron in October - Quakerman in the Philly burbs.  This is the significance of the 2200 yard swim.  2200 yards is 1.24 miles, which is just a hair over a 1/2 iron swim.  I'll also do a few sprints, and maybe an oly if I find one that is convenient.  And of course I'll continue with the 5k's.

Weightloss:  I'm about 30 lbs under where I was at my heaviest, but I still want to let go of another 10 lbs.  I just took the first step though...I started my food journal back up again.

2010 goals - to complete a 1/2 iron.  No question, this is the #1 goal of the year.  But in terms of less specific goals, I want to get much stronger on the bike, and I want to continue to improve my running.  I'm not too concerned with the swim.  I'm never going to swim like a fish, but I'm no longer sinking like a rock.  I want to continue to improve my endurance and efficiency.  But in a tri, my main focus is to get out of the water towards the MOP. 

Scout

Edited by scout21 2009-12-15 2:20 PM
2009-12-15 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
This looks like the group for me... aging, slightly overweight family guys. i think that i fit that bill perfectly.

wplummer (will)

STORY:
I'm a 47 year old live in the suburbs of Los Angeles. after many years of a desk job, bad eating habits, and more than a sedentary lifestyle i decided that something needed to be done. i looked myself in the mirror, wasnt happy with myself or the fact that i weighed 285 lbs. i started working out and lost 45 lbs. one day as i was crossing the street to get coffee i was struck by a car. thre surgeries later-elbow, shoulder, and in feb 09 i had part of my knee replaced.
i was back to training in may of 2009-my dr wasnt too happy. in july of 2009 i finally did my first tri- a sprint in carlsbad, ca. i finished, i survived, i was hooked.
no longer am i afraid of those cool morning since most of my running and swimming is done before 7 am. i have learned to love the beautiful star filled mornings in so cal.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a more than supportive wifr-as long as i am home by 9am on the weekends. i have two kids-14 and nin who play sports, are involved in music, and other activities that occupy alot of time.

CURRENT TRAINING: even with my recent knee surgery i am enjoying upping the running mileage every month. before tri training i HATED running. surprsingly that was one of the activities that helped me to loos thge weight. i try to get out 4-6 days a week to run and swim. my cycling volume has been lacking in 2009, but i am motivated to change that in 2010.

2009 RACES: carlsbad sprint.

2010 RACES and GOALS: i am considering a half mary in feb 2010, and possibly a full mary in june. i wanted to do the HIM in oceanside in march but that sold out before i could register. My training over the next 12 months will focus on the 70.3, and include lots of cycling.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 30lbs. I'm currently at 230-235 and would love to get down to around 200.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: l am new to tri's and i love to learn and research about training, and racing. i and am very eager to make strides towards losing weight and competing in a HIM. i am committed to my fitness and racing goals and am looking forward to sharing this experience with others in the group.

thats my story and i am sticking to it. thanks.
2009-12-15 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Alright, everyone, we are full and ready to roll.  First, a few more welcomes:

Pete:  Welcome!  Weight traiing and jiu jitsu, huh?  Remind not not to upset you.  I envy your 3x OWS per week.  I'm lucky to get 3 ocean swims per year.  I was at the beach last weekend, hoping to get in an OWS, but the waves were 8'+.  The surfers were having a grand time.  I gave it a miss.

Phil:  Welcome!  That's great to hear that you were able to get your ankle healed up enough to run.  And your initial weight loss is truly impressive.

grannygear:  Welcome! Impulsive IM -- you can do it!  You probably have the most time to gain on the bike.  So ride ride ride!  If you wish to share your first name, please feel free.  If not, we can refer to you as 'the gear I ride up that really big hill'.  Wink

Lina: Welcome!  Don't worry about lack of experience!  It looks like most of uf are relatively new to triathlon, and to athletic endeavors in general.  The point here is to learn from and encourage each other.

Ted:  Welcome!  We'll try to help you out with that accountability thing, if you do the same for us!

Adam:  Welcome!  I see you live right around the corner.  Maybe we'll meet up at a triathlon this season.  Hiring a swim coach was a great move.  Best triathlon money I ever spent.  Swimming is definitely tough at the start.  Keep at it!

Sylvain:  Welcome!  That's great that you've been able to add swim and bike to an impressive start.  30K around the bay sounds like a fun race.

Heidi:  Welcome!  Slow and fun is good!  Much better than fast and miserable.

Mark:  Welcome!  Another big weight loser.  That's awesome.  It sounds like you are definitely ready to jump into the pool.

Scout:  Welcome!  1/2 iron is a great goal.  I think it might be my favorite distance.  We'll do what we can to keep you on track for that!

Will:  Welcome!  Wow.  I applaud your perseverance.  I'm hoping to take some motivation from that myself.

OK, folks, that's it for now.  Welcome again to everyone.  I'll post again tonight.  Meanwhile, let's keep the questions and mutual motivation coming!

2009-12-15 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2560585

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA

Looking forward to some mentoring and group support!

Melinda

2009-12-15 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Is everyone going to use the training log here on BT?  My last mentoring group did that and it worked out pretty well in that we could all see what everyone else was up to.  I just updated my log with today's workouts and will try to remember to update here as well as sporttracks on my laptop.

Scout

2009-12-15 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Woah... I checked in before lunch and we were 3... it was a busy afternoon :-)  Looks like a fantastic group... looking forward to working out with all of you, in a virtual kind of way.  I'm on board with Scout's suggestion... just started using the logs recently and they've been very helpful (and an upgrade from my Excel spreadsheet!).  I'll also probably add you all on as friends... but if you'd rather I not add you, just pop me a note. 
-Stu
2009-12-15 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Works for me, I'll be more diligent logging on the website.
2009-12-15 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2560880

User image

Expert
Salem
Woah is right.  That was a fast fill-up.  Looking forward to being part of this group.  Need to go a do my core exercises before supper.  Talk at your later.  You the man Experior...lead the way. 
2009-12-15 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2560813

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
scout21 - 2009-12-15 4:26 PM Is everyone going to use the training log here on BT?  My last mentoring group did that and it worked out pretty well in that we could all see what everyone else was up to.  I just updated my log with today's workouts and will try to remember to update here as well as sporttracks on my laptop.

Scout

I'm logging.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46