Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-12-15 9:36 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: DJDavey's group - CLOSED

NAME: DJDavey/Dave

STORY: Former cross country/high school track coach turned powerlifter turned triathlete. Love the  sport of triathlon and honestly, there isnt a better group of athletes out there.  Time for me to give back some of what I have learned from others

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one son. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for the Gold Medal challenge (1/2 marathon on Saturday, full marathon on Sunday, both indoors)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did a couple of sprints, half irons, some 5Ks and a half marathon.....

2009 RACES:  Not sure what the upcoming season will bring!

WEIGHTLOSS: Just trying to stay fit and at a healthy weight.  my main thing isnt the number on a scale but rather how my clothes fit and how I feel.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Been there done that, been a FOP, been a MOP and also had a DNF in 2009......

Edited by djdavey 2009-12-19 1:47 PM

2009-12-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2559563

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: DJDavey's group - OPEN

NAME: hip82 (USNA 82 alumni) - Tom

STORY: Former soccer player, submarine vet who gave up running in 1982.  My son did a tri in 2002, and I thought the people were very cool, and I wanted to be a triathlete too someday.  Time and weight went on.  I set a goal of getting it done by the time i was 50.  Last year on 1/1 as I was approaching 49, and 260 pounds, I was excusing myself from the triathlon dream, but I started walking 2 times a week in an effort to lose weight due to some serious health issues beginning to show up.  The first priority was to get off the damn cPap machine for the sleep apnea I had been diagnosed with 2 months prior.  After walking for 2 months, I thought I can do the triathlon by 50 dream, and signed up for the Nation's Triathlon.  The following week, I did my first run, and managed to go for 2 minutes.  I was on my way!  NJ State sprint tri in June, The Nation's Tri in September, and the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November.  Oh, I managed to lose 60 pounds along the way (Bye Bye cPap and sleep apnea, but put back on 20 since the Nation's tri.  Got to get to that....

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with 3 sons, 2 have done triathlons.  The middle one with me the first time this year. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter Maintenance.  Will be doing Speed and Development in January to get faster. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Did a couple of 10k's,  a sprint, an oly and a half marathon.....

2010 RACES:  6 triathlons from April to November, which includes maybe ending the year with the B2b half iron.  A couple of 10k, and 10 milers.  Focus on getting slimmer, and faster.

2011 RACES:  Probably a lot like 2010, but depending where I am at come September, thinking of the IM Moo.

WEIGHTLOSS: Get back to the plan.  It's not easy, but I know what to do, and I like the results.  When I'm on the wagon, I use livestrong.com to track my eating, and it works great.  Maybe I need a minder.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I've seen "The Distance"  I want to be an honorary Donkee! 

2009-12-16 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2560909

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

hip82 - 2009-12-15 5:50 PM

NAME: hip82 (USNA 82 alumni) - Tom

STORY: Former soccer player, submarine vet who gave up running in 1982.  My son did a tri in 2002, and I thought the people were very cool, and I wanted to be a triathlete too someday.  Time and weight went on.  I set a goal of getting it done by the time i was 50.  Last year on 1/1 as I was approaching 49, and 260 pounds, I was excusing myself from the triathlon dream, but I started walking 2 times a week in an effort to lose weight due to some serious health issues beginning to show up.  The first priority was to get off the damn cPap machine for the sleep apnea I had been diagnosed with 2 months prior.  After walking for 2 months, I thought I can do the triathlon by 50 dream, and signed up for the Nation's Triathlon.  The following week, I did my first run, and managed to go for 2 minutes.  I was on my way!  NJ State sprint tri in June, The Nation's Tri in September, and the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November.  Oh, I managed to lose 60 pounds along the way (Bye Bye cPap and sleep apnea, but put back on 20 since the Nation's tri.  Got to get to that....

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with 3 sons, 2 have done triathlons.  The middle one with me the first time this year. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter Maintenance.  Will be doing Speed and Development in January to get faster. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Did a couple of 10k's,  a sprint, an oly and a half marathon.....

2010 RACES:  6 triathlons from April to November, which includes maybe ending the year with the B2b half iron.  A couple of 10k, and 10 milers.  Focus on getting slimmer, and faster.

2011 RACES:  Probably a lot like 2010, but depending where I am at come September, thinking of the IM Moo.

WEIGHTLOSS: Get back to the plan.  It's not easy, but I know what to do, and I like the results.  When I'm on the wagon, I use livestrong.com to track my eating, and it works great.  Maybe I need a minder.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I've seen "The Distance"  I want to be an honorary Donkee! 

welcome hip (Tom)!!! 

first, thank you for serving, awesome!!! 

great job on having the dream and getting it done, i remember sitting on the couch watchin the early days of espn and seeing mark allen winning the ironman in kona, said to myself........someday!!! 

great job on the weight loss...........sounds like we will be on similar paths for the next couple of years as i MIGHT be doing B2B full this coming year and WILL be hitting the IM MOO in 2011 as i have a score to settle with that bad boy now!!!

Glad to have on the team Tom!

2009-12-16 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That would be awesome!  I'll have to pick up the speed a little to make it competitive...

2009-12-17 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!

NAME: Sweetcorn (Sarah)

STORY: Grew up playing Softball. Started to run when I joined the AF. Ran in a few 5Ks over the years. The Hawaii 10 miler when I was TDY there in 99 was the farthest I had ever run. Started to run again in Iraq with my Husband and did the Army 10 miler there. I also competed in a Bodybuilding/Figure Competition while in Iraq and won my division. I did my first Tri in Minnesota in Aug 2008. It was a sprint that I completed with my step-mom’s Hybrid bike that had a bell and mirror (time = 2 hrs +). I ran 3 full marathons in the month of October 2008 when I turned 30. 2009 was my first “real” tri season in which I completed a tri at least twice a month through the summer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married - Newlywed

CURRENT TRAINING:   Winter Maintenance.

2009 RACES:
Jan 1 – Rotary Resolution 10K, Jan 17 – Adventure Race Sprint 8 Hour, Mar 3 – Disney Princess Half Mary,
Apr 26 – GWParkWay 5K, May 3 – Muddy Buddy, May 10 – Kinetic Sprint, May 15 - 5K at work, Jun 6 – MS Bike 60, Aug 9 – Pink Power Tri, Aug 23 - Cannonman Half Tri,  Sep 13 – Reston Oly Tri, Sep 20 -Make A Wish Foundation Sea Colony Triathlon, Oct  4 – Bassman Half, Nov 7 – B2B Full Iron

2010 RACES:  Nothing on the books yet

WEIGHTLOSS: toning…

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I need the motivation to get the workout in…but I am a great motivator too…

2009-12-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2562965

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

hip82 - 2009-12-16 2:58 PM

That would be awesome!  I'll have to pick up the speed a little to make it competitive...

not too much, i dont want to be left in the dust here!!!

2009-12-17 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2564101

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Sweetcorn - 2009-12-17 8:21 AM

NAME: Sweetcorn (Sarah)

STORY: Grew up playing Softball. Started to run when I joined the AF. Ran in a few 5Ks over the years. The Hawaii 10 miler when I was TDY there in 99 was the farthest I had ever run. Started to run again in Iraq with my Husband and did the Army 10 miler there. I also competed in a Bodybuilding/Figure Competition while in Iraq and won my division. I did my first Tri in Minnesota in Aug 2008. It was a sprint that I completed with my step-mom’s Hybrid bike that had a bell and mirror (time = 2 hrs +). I ran 3 full marathons in the month of October 2008 when I turned 30. 2009 was my first “real” tri season in which I completed a tri at least twice a month through the summer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married - Newlywed

CURRENT TRAINING:   Winter Maintenance.

2009 RACES:
Jan 1 – Rotary Resolution 10K, Jan 17 – Adventure Race Sprint 8 Hour, Mar 3 – Disney Princess Half Mary,
Apr 26 – GWParkWay 5K, May 3 – Muddy Buddy, May 10 – Kinetic Sprint, May 15 - 5K at work, Jun 6 – MS Bike 60, Aug 9 – Pink Power Tri, Aug 23 - Cannonman Half Tri,  Sep 13 – Reston Oly Tri, Sep 20 -Make A Wish Foundation Sea Colony Triathlon, Oct  4 – Bassman Half, Nov 7 – B2B Full Iron

2010 RACES:  Nothing on the books yet

WEIGHTLOSS: toning…

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I need the motivation to get the workout in…but I am a great motivator too…

glad to have you with the group sweet!!!!  or should i say "iron"sweet?

2009-12-17 1:11 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

K, here we go!  we are "live" now people!!

2009-12-17 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Dave,

Can I get in on your group? I initially tried to join another mentor group, but there has been no communication from the mentor since he opened up hig group.  I recognized your name from The Distance DVD, andnoticed you were very responsive to the others who asked to join your group.  Here is my brief bio...

My name is Brian, I am coming off my 1st season of triathalon.  in 2009, I completed 3 sprint tri's, a 5K and 10K.  This year I am planing on running a Half Marathon, 2 olympics, a few local sprints and a 70.3 to close out the season in October.

A little about me.  I am married with a 3 year old son and a yellow lab.  I transitioned into triathalon from weightlifting last spring due to a shoulder injury.  I got into weightlifting and excercise in general for the sole purpose of weight loss/maitnance.  I am 5'10' and currently 204lbs.  I fluctuate like Oprah between 230 - 195.  It sucks, but I love food, when not doing triathalon, I compete in BBQ competitions! they are two difficult hobbies to balance! 

I have lofty goals for 2010 and I'd like to join a group of athletes to bounce ideas off of, vent and gain knowledge, share any knowledge I may have gained during my 1st season competing and mostly to be able to talk to people who can relate. 

I'd love to join your group, I hope you have some space for me. 

-Brian
2009-12-17 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2565044

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

mchubri` - 2009-12-17 1:27 PM Dave,

Can I get in on your group? I initially tried to join another mentor group, but there has been no communication from the mentor since he opened up hig group.  I recognized your name from The Distance DVD, andnoticed you were very responsive to the others who asked to join your group.  Here is my brief bio...

My name is Brian, I am coming off my 1st season of triathalon.  in 2009, I completed 3 sprint tri's, a 5K and 10K.  This year I am planing on running a Half Marathon, 2 olympics, a few local sprints and a 70.3 to close out the season in October.

A little about me.  I am married with a 3 year old son and a yellow lab.  I transitioned into triathalon from weightlifting last spring due to a shoulder injury.  I got into weightlifting and excercise in general for the sole purpose of weight loss/maitnance.  I am 5'10' and currently 204lbs.  I fluctuate like Oprah between 230 - 195.  It sucks, but I love food, when not doing triathalon, I compete in BBQ competitions! they are two difficult hobbies to balance! 

I have lofty goals for 2010 and I'd like to join a group of athletes to bounce ideas off of, vent and gain knowledge, share any knowledge I may have gained during my 1st season competing and mostly to be able to talk to people who can relate. 

I'd love to join your group, I hope you have some space for me. 

-Brian

welcome to your second choice brian!!!!!  take away the bbq comps and we have similar stories (well kinda........) i was big into lifing as well and also love food!!!  my little guy is now almost 18 months so much of what im going thru now you can relate to as well!

glad to have you aboard!!!

2009-12-17 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Thanks Dave!  I hope I didn't insult with the 2nd choice, the whole lack of response was a turnoff and I am hoping to be in a group that fosters open communication and obviously I'm in the right place!  18 mos is when things really start to get fun, enjoy it!  I'm looking forward to working with you. 

-B 

2009-12-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2564101

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job on your B2b Sarah!!  Nice to see another vet.  And I'll join with Davey in thanking you for your service.   I was also stationed in Hawaii, but from '85-86.  Hated to leave, but the next assignment in Colorado was nice.  I was in for 10 years.

DC was 29F and windy today, I don't know how you guys up in Wisconsin deal with it, but I wimped out and hit the treadmill today.  I'm still trying to figure out how not to overdress or underdress.

I also started the 100 pushup, sit-up and squat challenge this week.  I really need to build some core strength.  I'm just doing the 100 thingy until I decide what I really should be doing.  I like DJDavey's logs how he always manages to do "absandcoreandstuff"  pretty regularly.  I'm still struggling with what should be doing for some strength routines and how to factor that in.
2009-12-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2565044

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Brian,

I lived in NJ for 10 years (Pittsgrove, and Lacey).  I also did the NJ State Tri last year.  I thought it was a really well run.  I also stuggle with the weight like you due to food and beer, even when I'm not training.  At least I'm mostly maintaining, but once the holidays are over, back to the program.

I'm the old man here.  My kids are 22, 19, and 16, and a little grand-triathlete born in March.

2009-12-17 2:25 PM

User image

New user

Dave,
My name is Jesselyn and I would like to be a part of your mentoring group.  Im 26 years old and live in Northern Virginia, although I am currently spending my weekdays in NYC for work.

Just a quick bio now since Im at work, Ill write more later.  I swam in high school ran track in college and played soccer after graduation.  I blew out my knee playing on turf a couple years ago, had an unsuccessful surgery on my knee and a year later had to have it done again, and am working my way back to running as well as I would like to.  I still have problems with my knee (mostly because Im stubborn and run on it too much when it feels good, leading to it feeling lousy again).  So this winter, Im planning on spending most of my time in the pool and on the bike.  My "running" work will be on the elliptical for the most part as I continue to do my rehabbing exercises.

Last season, I did two sprint races on a mountain bike.  I was excited to race when I bought a road bike, and then had to travel for work, so that killed my training and I didnt get to use it in any races.  This season, Im doing a HIM aqua bike in July, an Olympic in August and September, and some sprints in the beginning of the season.  Im hoping that by August, my knee will be all set to run on.

Im hoping that this mentoring group can help me develop a solid training plan through the winter.  Im a pretty good swimmer, have the least experience on the bike, and am working back to form on my running.  This group will also help motivate me knowing that other people are looking in on me and keeping me on course.

Im looking forward to getting to know everyone.
2009-12-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2565225

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

jesselynleigh - 2009-12-17 2:25 PM Dave,
My name is Jesselyn and I would like to be a part of your mentoring group.  Im 26 years old and live in Northern Virginia, although I am currently spending my weekdays in NYC for work.

Just a quick bio now since Im at work, Ill write more later.  I swam in high school ran track in college and played soccer after graduation.  I blew out my knee playing on turf a couple years ago, had an unsuccessful surgery on my knee and a year later had to have it done again, and am working my way back to running as well as I would like to.  I still have problems with my knee (mostly because Im stubborn and run on it too much when it feels good, leading to it feeling lousy again).  So this winter, Im planning on spending most of my time in the pool and on the bike.  My "running" work will be on the elliptical for the most part as I continue to do my rehabbing exercises.

Last season, I did two sprint races on a mountain bike.  I was excited to race when I bought a road bike, and then had to travel for work, so that killed my training and I didnt get to use it in any races.  This season, Im doing a HIM aqua bike in July, an Olympic in August and September, and some sprints in the beginning of the season.  Im hoping that by August, my knee will be all set to run on.

Im hoping that this mentoring group can help me develop a solid training plan through the winter.  Im a pretty good swimmer, have the least experience on the bike, and am working back to form on my running.  This group will also help motivate me knowing that other people are looking in on me and keeping me on course.

Im looking forward to getting to know everyone.

awesome stuff jess!!!!  love the fact you come from a swimming background since you can all probably tell from the extreme LACK of purple on my graphs, i am not a strong swimmer!!!  but i am proof that if you put your mind to something, it can and will happen......just takes the discipline to do it!!  just like you with your knee jesselyn, just keep what you need to be doing with "big" picture thinking along the way and it will work out!!

welcome aboard!!!!!

2009-12-18 6:52 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

2009-12-18 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2566153

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

K GUYS!!!!

whats everyone got going on this weekend??  i have to get a long run in tomorrow (15-20ish) then have to take my son for his first haircut!!!  (any tips???)  after that wrap some gifts and make some cookies or something, not sure, lovely spouse hasnt informed me yet!!!

so whats up?

2009-12-18 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thinking about doing 8-10 tomorrow, but the weather calls for 1-3 inches of snow tonight, and a foot thru Sunday.  (That will cause havoc here!)  may have to reconsider and bike and run at the gym.

Oh, time to get a tree, and start thinking about shopping for Christmas, but not actually start yet...

2009-12-18 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran

The DC weather man is calling for BUCKETS and BUCKETS of snow....right now it’s about 30 and SUNNY out.... AND they are releasing us early due to the thought of bad weather.... For a Minnesota girl this is too funny! We never closed school or work for the THOUGHT of bad weather....

Anyways we want to SKI this fine snow that is coming! So Saturday we are looking at a nice snowy trail run, then meeting with the DC Tri group to watch KONA live in a Movie Theater they rented for their Christmas Party! Sunday is definitely SKIING!!!

2009-12-18 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2565193

User image

Veteran

hip82 - 2009-12-17 3:13 PM Nice job on your B2b Sarah!!  Nice to see another vet.  And I'll join with Davey in thanking you for your service.   I was also stationed in Hawaii, but from '85-86.  Hated to leave, but the next assignment in Colorado was nice.  I was in for 10 years.

DC was 29F and windy today, I don't know how you guys up in Wisconsin deal with it, but I wimped out and hit the treadmill today.  I'm still trying to figure out how not to overdress or underdress.

I also started the 100 pushup, sit-up and squat challenge this week.  I really need to build some core strength.  I'm just doing the 100 thingy until I decide what I really should be doing.  I like DJDavey's logs how he always manages to do "absandcoreandstuff"  pretty regularly.  I'm still struggling with what should be doing for some strength routines and how to factor that in.

Thanks!! It was a great race!! I smiled the whole time!!! It was an amazing day!

2009-12-18 11:19 AM

Looks like I will try and jump in to an active group here.
My name is Jacob. I have thought about being a triathlete for awhile, even through college. I have swam my entire life, through college and coach swimming now. I can ride the bike pretty decent but running is my downfall. It appears everyone here can run, so im hoping to learn a thing or 2 about running. I am 24 and have a 4 yr old daughter.

My goals for this summer are definitely shedding some pounds, doing a sprint, at least one oly, and then compete and complete the deer creek HIM.  I competed in a sprint when I was in college, but couldnt for the life of me tell you my time, we were just there to have a good time.

My current training has literally just started this week. I am going to be in a 5k on the 1st so I figured I better get to it. My bosses asked me if I would run with them, and I cant be shown up by 2 old guys lol. Im hoping to run under 30 mins.

Edited by jshiplet 2009-12-18 11:20 AM

2009-12-18 11:58 AM

User image

New user

My weekend training is definitely going to be inside due to the blizzard that they are calling for! I hope to get into the pool both days but we'll see if that happens.  Most likely a good amount of biking too.. I'm starting to get a little tired of the stationary bikes at the gym, how much better is it to be using a trainer on your own bike? I'm kind of hoping for a trainer for christmas but if not I may just have to treat myself after christmas..  haha
2009-12-18 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2566668

User image

New user

oh sounds fun! what is the DC tri group? my boyfriend and i just moved to the DC area (falls church) and may be interested in joining one..  any info would be great - thanks
2009-12-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2567053

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

jesselynleigh - 2009-12-18 11:58 AM My weekend training is definitely going to be inside due to the blizzard that they are calling for! I hope to get into the pool both days but we'll see if that happens.  Most likely a good amount of biking too.. I'm starting to get a little tired of the stationary bikes at the gym, how much better is it to be using a trainer on your own bike? I'm kind of hoping for a trainer for christmas but if not I may just have to treat myself after christmas..  haha

if you can get your hands on a trainer i would say go for it for sure!!!!  that way you can use your own bike which is fit to you (hopefully!).  i would recommend that once you get the trainer that you set it up in front of a TV so you can watch shows or movies.........as with all things tri related that take place inside, it can be BORING!!!  if no trainer becomes available, check out the local bike/tri shops by you and see if they sell any computrainer sessions.........could be a nice little break from the gym's stationarys!!

2009-12-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2566940

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

welcome to the fun jacob!!!!

and great(!!!) another swimmer!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DJDavey's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15