BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-12-30 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED
NAME: konichiwa / Tim 

STORY: I'm just another guy doing triathlons.  33yo.  Got into triathlons after a close high school friend signed up for a race and loved it.  Ended up meeting my wife at our local bike shop.  We are a perfect match and both enjoy the sport tremendously.

FAMILY STATUS: Recently married to gymnutt03 / Laura

CURRENT TRAINING: When I am in full swing, I am doing 11-12 workouts a week totaling 12-20hrs.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I focus mainly on triathlons (duh) of all distance...sprint to IM.  I also do a couple of running races (5k to marathon) from time to time too.
2010 RACES:  Current schedule includes: May - Black Bear Oly;  June - Philadelphia sprint;  Sept - Syracuse 70.3;  Nov - IMAZ

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't worry about it.  It takes care of itself.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: 2010 will be my 6th year in triathlon.  I've made my share of mistakes and have learned from them.  After much research and self-education, I currently write training plans for myself and Laura as well as helping out with some friends.  As Laura can attest, I am a geek about this stuff.  Most importantly, I'll do what I can to help others.  This will be my second mentor group.
If you like what you read and you want to join the group, come on in the water is nice.  A little bit of background about yourself would be great (you can use the copy the headings above).
All the best,
-Tim

Edited by konichiwa 2009-12-30 8:44 PM

2009-12-30 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2583571

New user
Subject: RE: Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - OPEN
Hello,
  My name is Carol and I am seriously looking for a group to join.  I am 60 and very willing to d what it takes.  Will give more info have to go to work now, but may I please join your group  will check and leave more info when i get home from work  3-11
2009-12-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2584215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Glad to have you Carol!

2009-12-30 3:50 PM

User image

Hello,My name is Aileen and I'd like to join this group. A few months ago I decided to do a triathlon in (or around) November 2010. In October I completed a 2-day 100-mile bike ride for MS from Irvine to San diego. What a great sense of accomplishment, there's no better feeling than crossing the finish line. I am currently training for the Pasadena 1/2 marathon, which is on February 21. I run 5 days a week. I attended a great 2-day running class in November at a local running store and they created a personalized running/training schedule for me. So far, I have logged over 110 miles of running. Swimming is definitely my weakness and I need to work on it. In a few weeks I am going to try and combine cycling and running. I'll do the spin class for an hour then get on the treadmill right after and then hope to take that on the road after successfully doing that combination in the gym. Now I just need to find a way to strengthen my swimming. Oh, and I'm 41 years old.Right now I am reading an amazing book titled Transformed by Triathlon by Jane Booth and it's really motivating me!I need all the help and support I can get. My husband has definitely been very supportive, so it's been a great process. I am looking forward to being a part of this group. Thanks!Regards,Aileen
2009-12-30 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
NAME: Atlantia / Laura

STORY: Don't let the post-count fool you, I'm still a newbie! I'm 29, I've been on BT for a couple years, even have a mini and a sprint under my belt, but I've never really put my heart in it, and I've never stuck with it for long. I went back to being a couch potato during my separation/divorce, and I'd really like a group to be accountable to as I look towards doing a sprint or two this summer. I'm really slow at all the disciplines, but my weakness is the bike. I have very little bike knowledge and am terrified of riding on the road, something I'd like to fix this season.

FAMILY STATUS: Separated, just (joyously!) waiting for the divorce to go through.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm starting back from scratch, so building volume slowly is the name of the game.

2010 RACES: I'm eyeing a sprint in July and another in September

WEIGHTLOSS: I love cupcakes. I should probably eat fewer of them. Or run further!

So, do I get to play? I really love the idea of a group where we can all motivate each other and ask questions without judgement.
2009-12-30 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Hi,

My name is Ted. I'm 38 years old.  I have been a runner my whole life, but after trail running all summer, I wanted to mix it up and do something different.  My goal is to complete a sprint triathlon sometime in the summer of 2010. 

I will basically be starting from scratch with this Triathlon.  I am in the market for a bike and still have to find a location for swimming (the hometown YMCA hasn't finished their pool yet).

I would definitely be  interested in joining in to get advice and suggestions along the way.

Thanks!

2009-12-30 6:29 PM

User image

Hey, Tim
If you've still got room, I'd like to join your mentor group.   I'm a 50 year old male looking forward to doing a first triathlon in 2010.   I just did the New York marathon this past November so the running part is cool.   Just got back on the bike this past year and love every minute.   The swimming part, however, is a different story.   

Let me know,
Frank
2009-12-30 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2585136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aileen, Laura, Ted and Frank...welcome all!!!

Glad to have you all here. Quite the diverse group....we collectively have a couple triathlons completed along with a century and marathon. Fabulous!

We'll have a good time this spring.

Laura - Do you ride on the WO&D at all? My sister lives in Vienna and I my HS friend who got me into triathlon lives with his wife in Ashburn.

Talk to you all soon.
-Tim
2009-12-30 7:00 PM

User image

Hey Tim, I’d like to join too!  My name is Cavin and I hail from SoCal but currently live in Virginia- doing to government slug thing in downtown D.C.  Although 47, I used to swim AAU and race bikes as a kid.  For the past couple of years I have been running in half-marathons and just ran this year’s Marine Corps Marathon (yeah, I beat Oprah-lol!)

At 6’2” and 175-180 pounds, dieting isn’t really an issue for me and there are no-known medical complications.  Currently I workout 6 days a week and sometimes do multiples on the same day.  Because of the workouts, extreme days (10 hours at work plus a 5 hour commute), I currently take vitamin supplements, protein shakes, creatine, and try to eat moderate meals 5 times a day.

My training plan consists of building with a local (VA) sprint in March, an olympic in May, the Nation’s Marathon in September and the Superfrog in March/April 2011.  In between, I’ll probably do some more half-marathons and other tri events as I have a buddy that I’m trying to convince to compete with me.  Kind of a funny story there- one day he looked down at my Walmart sneakers and asked if I ran.  Next thing I knew, I was signed up for the Army 10-miler in 2007 and I haven’t stopped since then.

Internal support is pretty good and I have most equipment to include a Cervelo P3C and a Blue Seventy Helix wetsuit.  I also have a treadmill, Bowflex, and some of the hilliest countryside you can imagine.  In between weights, treadmill/road running, plyometrics, swimming and spinning (too cold most days to take the bike out) I hope I’m off to a good start but look forward to your, or anyone else’s, thoughts and comments.

Cheers!

2009-12-30 8:03 PM

Hello  My name is Jody, I'm 35 years old and have two children.  I'm a little late to the game so I didn't see any Mentors (that are left) that I felt I could identify with.  That said, I think that this group will work nicely for me.  The one thing that I know, from my long-ago days of athleticism, is that it's best to in training with those who make you reach.  This group will do that.  I feel like I have a lot working against me but want the challenge.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorsed with two kids.  I live with my BF and he has his three kids a few nights per week.  So, some days the house is quite full, some days it's just he and I.

CURRENT TRAINING: I do Martial Arts a couple of times a week.  (BF is a Master Black belt and we co-own a studio).   I just started the "couch to 5k" running program - because, frankly, I'd rather chew off a leg then run.  (I know, why do triathlons?  ...because FOR ONCE I want to accomplish something athletically that is hard for me.  In my "athlete days", sports came very easy for me so I never really pushed myself - because I never needed to).  I also do a mix of whatever suits my fancy that week - spinning, yoga, step.  I also do some weight training 3 days per week. 
2010 RACES: Hmmm... haven't decided what my first TRI will be.  I am going to do the Muddy Buddy (1st time) at the end of March so that is my primary focus.  Maybe something in May-ish.

WEIGHTLOSS: REALLY need to lose 40-50 pounds.  It's becoming a big problem in my martial arts and, well, in just about every other area of my life.  I'm not looking for coach/nutrition help but just an understanding that my body is a ways away from it's potential!

Edited by PowderPuff 2009-12-30 8:07 PM
2009-12-30 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Hello- Still room?

I'm a 39 year old mom who just had a year off from triathlons (2009) after my very first year of triathlons (2008) due to a devastating knee injury. 

I live in Lake Placid, NY -- home of IronMan (no, that's not my distance.)

I really loved tri training and racing and now that I'm back to running pain free, I'd love to join a great group like this!

Amy

2009-12-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2585267

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Cavin, Jody and Amy...welcome!!

The group is taking shape...awesome.

Cavin - Where in VA do you live that gives you such a looooong commute?

Jody - You are busy...b/t the kids, and business ...you got some commitments. We'll be sure to keep you motivated, even though it sounds like you are quite motivated already. BTW, I had a friend and her son do Muddy Buddy in VA a year or two ago..they had a blast!

Amy....I love Lake Placid! It's a great community...Laura and I have done a couple training wknds up there with friends and I also did my first IM there.
2009-12-30 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED

NAME: Laura / gymnutt03

FAMILY STATUS: Recently married to Tim / konichiwa. We have four kids (aka bikes) between us: Specialized Transition (Laura's tri); Cannondale Slice (Tim's tri); Specialized Roubaix (Laura's road); and Specialized Tarmac (Tim's road)

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now is my "off season," but as Tim can attest, its hard for me to take time off. Therefore, I'm still training anywhere from 5 to 6 days a week, SBR mostly with some added strength training and yoga mixed in there whenever possible. When I'm in season, I'm truly dedicated to putting in the time and have recently started focusing in on quality versus quantity (although I am often guilty of wanting to go longer, longer, longer). 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm currently training for my first standalone marathon, Ocean Drive (Cape May, NJ) on March 28.

2010 RACES:  Current schedule is the same as Tim's: May - Black Bear Oly;  June - Philadelphia sprint;  Sept - Syracuse 70.3;  Nov - IMAZ

WEIGHTLOSS: Its a constant "concern," but I don't necessarily diet. I used to weigh close to 180 pounds coming out of college (2003), and I'm currently 126-128. Given my previous weight, I think most people who have struggled with weightloss can understand why I am diligent with my workouts. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my fifth season of tris, fourth season of endurance tris. I'm a competitive age grouper when it comes to local races and I have hopes of qualifying for Kona, although I've got a lot of work to put in to make it that far. I'm not as "geeky" as Tim is about training plans and researching triathlon forums for information, but I do feel like I've learned a lot through him as well as trial and error on my part for what works for me as an individual. I've recently began mentoring my co-worker, who has since ran one half marathon, is training for her second, and has hopes of competing in a duathlon this year.

Welcome, everyone! 

2009-12-30 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2585165

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
konichiwa - 2009-12-30 7:51 PM

Laura - Do you ride on the WO&D at all? My sister lives in Vienna and I my HS friend who got me into triathlon lives with his wife in Ashburn.

I've run on it, but never ridden on it. That's because of my intense and completely ridiculous fear of riding my bike. I rode twice on the road before my triathlons, everything else was on the trainer. This year I'm going to conquer my fear on the bike.
2009-12-31 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Hello--

Thanks for letting me join just before the gates shut! Laughing

NAME: Amy/aquinn

FAMILY STATUS: I am 39 (just as of this week), and married with 2 sons who are 10 and 8. My husband owns a Mexican restaurant here in Lake Placid and I work as an attorney with for the State of NY court system.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Let me start by saying that I am so glad to be back to a place where I even CAN join a group like this. In early 2008, having been a runner for several years, I decided that I wanted to sign up for a triathlon. I joined a BT mentor group, got a swim coach, and loved it all. I did my first super sprint tri while on vacation in Clermont, Florida in April 2008, and placed first overall for females (seriously almost fell over when I saw the board, but to be true, it was a race of mostly beginners on a very flat course and I am used to the Adirondack mountains). I then raced in the Tupper Lake Tin Man sprint in June of that year and also had a great time (no winning or even showing up in age groups but lots of fun-- learned that I needed to spend a LOT more time training on my bike.) I then switched focus to marathon training- I had signed up for a charity team to benefit Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in the 2008 NYC Marathon. Spent all summer raising money and training for what was supposed to be my second marathon on November 2.  On October 1, 2008, I wrecked my knee, causing a shredded meniscus, a disintegrated ACL, a stress fracture, several pulled muscles and some nerve damage. Enter surgery, resulting hip issues on the alternate side and 12 months of PT. It was November 2009 before I was running pain free.  Of course I gained 15 pounds through all of this (which at least before the holiday eating week) I have finally lost!!  I am ready to get back on a training schedule, back to weight training, back to life as an athlete! Where we we live is very cold and mountainous- so winter sports (downhill skiing, x-c skiing and snowshoeing) are a big part of my winter. I have spent the fall on the stair master, running and expresso bike-- time to get back to my trainer and the pool.

2010 RACES: I'm currently registered for the NYC Marathon again-- was able to roll my race number over twice due to my awesome doctor--- and plan to do the Tin Man Sprint again in June. I'm looking forward to trying some races I have never done before and also doing some half marathons that I have enjoyed in the past. I'm feeling open minded about trying new stuff.

WEIGHT LOSS: Wow, it's a whole new game as you approach 40, huh? I have lost my injury weight (15 lbs) since Columbus Day (though I don't think I will weigh myself any time soon after a week of holiday company that finally departed yesterday), and that puts me at 150, or the very top of my healthy weight range. I have never weighed a lot less than that, but heretofore have been able to eat whatever (well, within healthy reason) while training and maintain that weight. Post-injury and staring down the barrel of 40, I have this fall really started watching my intake, and I'm hoping once I get back to training, that allows me to get down below 145.

MY CHALLENGES: Well, for one, I'm starting over, really-- which in a way is kind of exciting. I have finally gotten past my anger and victimized feeling of being on the injured list! I also face the challenges of cold, darkness and lack of good pool hours. I tend to be a cardio junkie, and love that buzz, so I often neglect weight training-- though I've been very happy at times when I have made that part of my regular routine. Our pool is 20 minutes away and has HORRIBLE hours so a weekly swim is often the best that I can do (and I haven't done it in awhile.) Our gym does have an endless pool, but I haven't tried it because I think I would die of boredom. I need to find a training schedule that gets me working hard on my bike inside (realistically, I can't ride outside until early May due to road conditions and weather), and into the pool. I love to run outside when it's cold so I can usually fit that in without issue (though post-knee surgery, icy/snowy road conditions are a new fear). I want to incorporate weight training (I own P90X and haven't used it much-- but think it might be a nice addition to tri training) and when I can, also want to incorporate x-c skiing and snowshoeing into my training from now till March to make the most of the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG winters here.  

I am a good "poster" and like to keep track of what I have done in my log, so I hope I will be a good addition to what looks like a great group!
2009-12-31 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2585482

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Atlantia - 2009-12-30 10:50 PM

I've run on it, but never ridden on it. That's because of my intense and completely ridiculous fear of riding my bike. I rode twice on the road before my triathlons, everything else was on the trainer. This year I'm going to conquer my fear on the bike.

Once you get those first couple outdoor rides in this spring, I'll think you'll see that outdoor riding is so enjoyable. Is there anything particular about outdoor riding that scares you?

2009-12-31 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2585782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
aquinn - 2009-12-31 8:40 AM

Hello--

FAMILY STATUS: I am 39 (just as of this week), and married with 2 sons who are 10 and 8. My husband owns a Mexican restaurant here in Lake Placid and I work as an attorney with for the State of NY court system.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Let me start by saying that I am so glad to be back to a place where I even CAN join a group like this. In early 2008, having been a runner for several years, I decided that I wanted to sign up for a triathlon. I joined a BT mentor group, got a swim coach, and loved it all. I did my first super sprint tri while on vacation in Clermont, Florida in April 2008, and placed first overall for females (seriously almost fell over when I saw the board, but to be true, it was a race of mostly beginners on a very flat course and I am used to the Adirondack mountains). I then raced in the Tupper Lake Tin Man sprint in June of that year and also had a great time (no winning or even showing up in age groups but lots of fun-- learned that I needed to spend a LOT more time training on my bike.) I then switched focus to marathon training- I had signed up for a charity team to benefit Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in the 2008 NYC Marathon. Spent all summer raising money and training for what was supposed to be my second marathon on November 2.  On October 1, 2008, I wrecked my knee, causing a shredded meniscus, a disintegrated ACL, a stress fracture, several pulled muscles and some nerve damage. Enter surgery, resulting hip issues on the alternate side and 12 months of PT. It was November 2009 before I was running pain free.  Of course I gained 15 pounds through all of this (which at least before the holiday eating week) I have finally lost!!  I am ready to get back on a training schedule, back to weight training, back to life as an athlete! Where we we live is very cold and mountainous- so winter sports (downhill skiing, x-c skiing and snowshoeing) are a big part of my winter. I have spent the fall on the stair master, running and expresso bike-- time to get back to my trainer and the pool.

2010 RACES: I'm currently registered for the NYC Marathon again-- was able to roll my race number over twice due to my awesome doctor--- and plan to do the Tin Man Sprint again in June. I'm looking forward to trying some races I have never done before and also doing some half marathons that I have enjoyed in the past. I'm feeling open minded about trying new stuff.

WEIGHT LOSS: Wow, it's a whole new game as you approach 40, huh? I have lost my injury weight (15 lbs) since Columbus Day (though I don't think I will weigh myself any time soon after a week of holiday company that finally departed yesterday), and that puts me at 150, or the very top of my healthy weight range. I have never weighed a lot less than that, but heretofore have been able to eat whatever (well, within healthy reason) while training and maintain that weight. Post-injury and staring down the barrel of 40, I have this fall really started watching my intake, and I'm hoping once I get back to training, that allows me to get down below 145.

MY CHALLENGES: Well, for one, I'm starting over, really-- which in a way is kind of exciting. I have finally gotten past my anger and victimized feeling of being on the injured list! I also face the challenges of cold, darkness and lack of good pool hours. I tend to be a cardio junkie, and love that buzz, so I often neglect weight training-- though I've been very happy at times when I have made that part of my regular routine. Our pool is 20 minutes away and has HORRIBLE hours so a weekly swim is often the best that I can do (and I haven't done it in awhile.) Our gym does have an endless pool, but I haven't tried it because I think I would die of boredom. I need to find a training schedule that gets me working hard on my bike inside (realistically, I can't ride outside until early May due to road conditions and weather), and into the pool. I love to run outside when it's cold so I can usually fit that in without issue (though post-knee surgery, icy/snowy road conditions are a new fear). I want to incorporate weight training (I own P90X and haven't used it much-- but think it might be a nice addition to tri training) and when I can, also want to incorporate x-c skiing and snowshoeing into my training from now till March to make the most of the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG winters here.  

I am a good "poster" and like to keep track of what I have done in my log, so I hope I will be a good addition to what looks like a great group!

Small world...we have a friend up in Albany who is an attorney and use to work for the AG's office...he's in the private sector now though.

So how did you wreck your knee? I was in a cycling accident in Sept '08...about six weeks before IMFL. I ended up breaking 3 bones in my R hand and had 2 surgeries to fix it all up. Outside of a deformed pinky, I'm all good though.

BTW, that's crazy that you won your first ever triathlon!!
2009-12-31 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2585343

User image

Tim,

Looking forward to the year and your advice.  I live south of Fredericksburg in Orange County.  The commute beings each day at 4:10am as I head out the door to the bus lot located in Fredericksburg.  From there its another 1h 45m commute to the office- yuk!  On a good day, I'm usually home by 7:15pm so I workout while at the office.
2009-12-31 2:07 PM

User image

Tim/Laura,

Hey, I have one question, beginning early next week a lot of the tri's I'd like to race in open for registration, however, some have a requirement for USAT membership.  Considering there are only three requiring this, a $30.00 hike in fees for the one day, and membership is $39.00, is it really worth the cost?

AirCav
2009-12-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2586701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
cjonestri - 2009-12-31 3:07 PM

Tim/Laura,

Hey, I have one question, beginning early next week a lot of the tri's I'd like to race in open for registration, however, some have a requirement for USAT membership.  Considering there are only three requiring this, a $30.00 hike in fees for the one day, and membership is $39.00, is it really worth the cost?

AirCav

I believe the one day license fee is $10 per race whereas the annual membership is $39. If you are going 4 or more USAT-sanctioned races, you'd be better off paying the money up front.
2009-12-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2585815

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
konichiwa - 2009-12-31 8:56 AM

Once you get those first couple outdoor rides in this spring, I'll think you'll see that outdoor riding is so enjoyable. Is there anything particular about outdoor riding that scares you?

It sounds so silly...
I can't seem to take my hands off the bars or turn my head very much to look around without toppling over. Very embarassing! I can shift fine, but when I go to reach for a water bottle or even just change position, down I go. I got mortified right before my race, falling over at a huge intersection, and I let it get in my head. Now its built up into this big boogie-man.

2009-12-31 4:29 PM

User image

I was looking into doing the LA Triathlon on October 3, 2010. When I read the description, I panicked. The swim is at Venice Beach, yikes open water. Maybe I should look into one where you swim in a lake. Maybe I should overcome my fear.I am not sure if I do a sprint or Olympic distance one. I did sign up for a Tri Intro class hosted by the Pasadena Tri Club, maybe that will help me overcome my fears. Your thoughts would be helpful and much appreciated.OK, and I put spaces between my paragraphs, but for some reason all my sentences are being lumped together. Sorry if it makes it hard to read.
2010-01-01 8:19 AM

User image

Hey, Tim and Laura

Just wanted to get the word out to anyone shopping for a helmet that I bought a new Giro Ionos helmet, normally $225.00 for $150 at www.bikebling.com.  If you enter REALDEAL in the coupon code box you'll get an extra 10% off so with shipping it was $150.81.

AirCav

Happy New Year!
2010-01-01 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2586774

User image

Atlantia,

Just wondering, but could your bars be in too close?  Maybe bringing them out just a bit, not too much or you'll increase drag, might help with stability.  Just a thought.

AirCav

Edited by cjonestri 2010-01-01 8:23 AM
2010-01-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2585856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
konichiwa - 2009-12-31 8:17 AM
aquinn - 2009-12-31 8:40 AM Hello--

Small world...we have a friend up in Albany who is an attorney and use to work for the AG's office...he's in the private sector now though. So how did you wreck your knee? I was in a cycling accident in Sept '08...about six weeks before IMFL. I ended up breaking 3 bones in my R hand and had 2 surgeries to fix it all up. Outside of a deformed pinky, I'm all good though. BTW, that's crazy that you won your first ever triathlon!!

Sadly, the knee was hurt jumping really high on a backyard trampoline...with my 2 nieces whose father had just died. I know trampolines aren't safe....but really they could have asked me to eat fire that day and I probably would have.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6