Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-04-20 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: Benihana's Group - CLOSED
NAME: Benihana/Ben

STORY: I am a 32 yr old who wanted to stay active a few years ago and got hooked SEVERLY on this sport, which has now turned into a passion/obsession!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 9+ years, 1 Daughter, 2 yrs old

CURRENT TRAINING: I have just started working with a coach, and my training has become a lot more specific, and intense than anything I did on my own. Anytime that I am training now, I want there to be a specific reason, and goal in mind

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a total of 7 multisport races, and 1 half marathon, with the main focus being a 2 week stretch in late July that starts with our state championships, and ends with a HIM

2009 RACES: 2009 was a season that was mared by a nagging injury from running Twin Cities Marathon, so the race list is much shorter, and the results are not what I had hoped for

WEIGHTLOSS: I have already managed to loose a great deal of weight since October by really being mindful of what i am eating and making sure I get to the gym/train on a very regular basis. But if someone dangles candy/good food infront of my face, it is usually difficult for me to say no!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a great mentor becasuse I have been racing for 6+ years now and have a good understanding of what it is like when that first race comes around, and what needs to be done to either complete or compete in that race. I am a fun loving guy who regularly provides encouragement to others, and loves to see others succeed.

Let me know what your goals are, and I will do my best to help you find the resources that will get you on track. There are a lot of great features on BT, that once you understand how to use them, provide a lot of value add

Edited by benihana 2010-04-21 2:26 PM

2010-04-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2805877

Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - Open

Ben,

I would like to join your group.  I will write a more detailed post later, but I wanted to get my name in as these groups fill up fast.  I tried to get into the winter program but missed the cut-off. 

Thanks

Curtis

Okay...so I will edit my post here with some more info, following your format.

Name : Curtis

Story:  I am a 30 yr old who wanted to get into multisport as a way of staying in shape and pushing myself athletically. Live in Kirkland Wa, no wife, no kids but do have a reasonably demanding job (from a time perspective)

Current Training: I am currently using the 10 week Olympic program.  Since I really have no idea what I am doing with the exception of what I have read, I am still trying to figure out the best formula and what works best for my schedule

This Year: Currently signed up for a Sprint in June and an Olympic in August.  Considering an additional Sprint in July. Not sure about a first seasons number of races yet.

Weight loss: Don't really want to lose too many pounds but I would like to get the body fat % down.

Goals:  Still trying to figure out what some good goals are in terms of times etc.  Since this will be my first races my only goal at this point is to finish and learn as much as I can.  I am competitive so I am sure more goals will follow. I have been using the training log on BT for my activities. 

Edited by TriKirkland 2010-04-21 3:37 PM
2010-04-21 11:32 AM

Donostia-San Sebastián
Benihana,

I would love to be a part of your group. 

I am 33 years old and living in Spain.  I have been married for 9 years and have three daughters, ages 4, 3 and 3.  Since they came, I haven't had much time to spend exercising, but now that they are a little bit more independent, I am ready to get back into sports.

I was also looking for a way to connect with some of the locals here in Spain, and since the different disciplines of triathlon are all popular with my community, I thought it a great opportunity.  The province that I live in has its own duathlon/triathlon series, so I can get involved with locals, exercise, and practice my language all at the same time.

About 500 meters from my house in San Sebastián is the starting point for two triathlons in June, the first a sprint distance, and the second Olympic.  I hope to participate in each of these, and at least one more sprint distance this summer.

Thanks for hosting a group, and I look forward to learning a little bit and meeting a few people who, like me, are beginning with tri.
2010-04-21 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
I would like to join your group as well.  Will post more detail after lunch.
2010-04-21 1:34 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Benihana,

I would also like to be part of your group.

My name is Justin and I am 34 years old, married, with 3 kids (girl - 7, boy - 3, boy - 1) and I started cross training as a way to lose weight.  I have done cardio off and on for years but something would always make me stop for a week or two (ex. injury, vacation, honey-do-lists, loss of motivation, etc...) and I would just never get back into it. until a few months later I'd start up again, just fatter the next time around.  I didn't want that to happen this time so since I was already running, swimming and cycling, I figured why not start doing Triathlons.  Once I committed to the sport, my focused completely changed and I haven't felt this kind of commitment since I played competitive tennis as a junior.  In any event, my first triathlon is in 3 days.  I will be doing the sprint event in the Memorial Herman Lonestar 70.3 in Galveston, TX.  I've been training since February and have a committed goal of 1:35 and personal goal of 1:30.

I'm 5'10" and I've gone from 214 lbs to 200 lbs since December.  Doesn't really matter cause I'm competing now, not losing weight.  But it's happening anyway.

My current training is a plan I derived from "The Triathlete's Training Bible" but I am thinking about switching over to a BT plan since they are so similar and I think it might simplify things for me and eliminate some question areas I have.  I have no instruction in running, swimming, or cycling, but I think I might need some.  My main focus in training is obviously going to be endurance, so I need help knowing how much speed work to work in if any.  First year I figure speed is pretty much a non-issue?  Only problem is that's how I'm setting my goals.  So what do I change, my training or my goals????  Is there another way to measure?

My goals are to 1) compete in the memorial herman lonestar and finish in 1:35  2) compete in the Houston Triathlon (olympic event) in September '10 and will calculate my goal time after this first one  3) compete in the Austin 70.3 (HIM event) in October '11.  Once I get there I will evaluate and establish new goals.

2010-04-21 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Thanks for opting into my group guys, I am looking forward to helping you meet your goals, and to have a great summer of racing. We are filling up fast and I would like to close the group at 5 individuals.

One thing that I neglected to mention is in order for me to be able to keep an eye on how your training is going, and for you ro be able to hold yourself accountable, I would appriciate it if everyone in the group logs their workouts in their training log here on BT. If you don't know how to get there, please let me know and I will help you out.

2010-04-21 2:19 PM

Athens

I would like to join this group if possible.

I am a 30 year old with a wife and 2 kids (5 year old daughter, 3 year old son) from Alabama.  I was an athlete in high school and love to compete in anything.  I played baseball, basketball, and golf in high school, but never was very high on running just to run.  I loved running if I was dribbling a basketball or chasing a baseball, but I really didn't understand running for the fun of it.  I am better at hand/eye sports than running/edurance sports. 

Last May I was challenged to run a marathon.  So in December I completed my first marathon at the St. Jude's marathon in Memphis.  It was amazing.  I didn't break any records but did complete the race before my 5 hour goal.

Since December I haven't made much time to exercise and I feel like I am missing something.

My goal is to complete the Sprint Triathlon in Huntsville, AL in August-5k run, 6 mile bike, 400 meter swim.  It is my first one and I plan to start training next week (4/26/10).  My weakess area would definitely be swimming. 

Thank you for considering me for your group.

Sincerely,
Chad

2010-04-21 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
you are defineately welcome to join the group. congrats on your marathon finish, and I look forward to helping you get across the finish line in August!

With that I will close the group. For the two guys that have yet to provide the group with a little more information about themselves, please do so as soon as you can.

Also, for those that have not yet done it, please make sure to register for your race(s) (registering brings accountability) and make sure to add them to your Race Log so I can be cognisant of the date and what we are shooting for

2010-04-21 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2807864

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
NAME:  Dustin

STORY:  I don’t have much of a story, but I have always been somewhat athletic, playing the major sports in high school and intramurals in college.  In 2006, I started lifting weights again and got pretty serious about it in 2007, doing a lot of powerlifting.  I’ve always been a thin guy 6’0 175 roughly.  Got up to 195, and injured my back during a deadlift set.  I lost about 17 lbs. and the will to lift heavy ever again.  I started running seriously at the end of 2008, Ran my first marathon in Dingle, Ireland in September ’09 and another at Disney on Jan. 10.  I took two months off from running for physical rehab on my hammies and hip alignment.  I am pushing toward an eventual ironman.
FAMILY STATUS: 
Happily Single

CURRENT TRAINING:  roughly 8 hours a week
2010 RACES: tentative schedule 

TBA, Sprint in June,  then an Olympic in July, then 1/2 Ironman in September or November…..

WEIGHTLOSS:  I sure hope not @165 now
Current Issues: Trying to keep the motivation through a long drought of progress.

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-04-21 2:41 PM
2010-04-21 6:07 PM

User image

New user

New York, NY
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - CLOSED
Hi Ben,

If you still have room in your group I would love to join!

-Simone

NAME: Simone

STORY: I am 26 year old female who played division I lacrosse and discovered triathlons 2 summers ago. I was unable to do any races last summer due to injury, but am fully healed now and am looking forward to more races.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: About 10 hours/week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: none so far 

2009 RACES: non due to injury

WEIGHTLOSS: not trying to lose any weight

GOALS: just become more knowledgable about the sport and compete as best as i can
2010-04-21 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Simone - If you feel this group is a good fit, than we can make room....welcome.....what are you looking to accomplish this year? Also, I see that you are newer to the site, do you know where to start logging your training in the "Training log" function? This way we can all help each other stay on track

2010-04-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2808794

User image

New user

New York, NY

Ben,
Thanks for making room! I see the "training log" function and will definitely take a closer look at it tonight and start logging. As of right now I'm signed up for a few sprint triathlons and 2 olympic tris this summer. I'm pretty strong at the running & swimming portions of the race, but my cycling isn't so good, so I definitely want to improve that.

Thanks again!

-Simone

2010-04-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2809853

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
slelchuk - 2010-04-22 10:10 AM

Ben,
Thanks for making room! I see the "training log" function and will definitely take a closer look at it tonight and start logging. As of right now I'm signed up for a few sprint triathlons and 2 olympic tris this summer. I'm pretty strong at the running & swimming portions of the race, but my cycling isn't so good, so I definitely want to improve that.

Thanks again!

-Simone

Simone, I see that you are in NYC, where do you train?  Is it all indoors?  Do you take trips upstate?  I spent some time up there a few years ago (couldn't pull the trigger to move permanently) but I don't remember thinking that it would be easy to train up there.  At the time I was fresh out of college and wasn't doing any real training.  I also had a gf in NYC so you can imagine where ALL my money went.  I'm in Alabama currently though I doubt I'm here much longer, and I complain about not having anywhere convenient to go train in the evenings.  Just curious how you do it.
2010-04-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2809853

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Ben,

Thanks again!

-Simone

No problem, glad to have you. What are the dates/distances of the races that you are registered for? Also, immediately to the right of the training log function at the top of all BT webpages, is the race log feature. Make sure to click on that, and add your races to the list so that they all appear on your training log/blog

As far as biking being your limiting factor, what can I help you with? Are you currently following a training plan? How often are you biking? What type/how old is the bike that you are riding? Did you get it new or used? Have you gotten professionally fit on it? Are there any races that you have competed in in the past that you can send me the overall results so I can take a look at your splits?

Everyone else, please let me know what I can help you with/what quesitons you have, so that we can make this spring/summer positive for all of you

Ben
2010-04-22 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2809937

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-04-22 10:29 AM

Ben,

Thanks again!

-Simone

No problem, glad to have you. What are the dates/distances of the races that you are registered for? Also, immediately to the right of the training log function at the top of all BT webpages, is the race log feature. Make sure to click on that, and add your races to the list so that they all appear on your training log/blog As far as biking being your limiting factor, what can I help you with? Are you currently following a training plan? How often are you biking? What type/how old is the bike that you are riding? Did you get it new or used? Have you gotten professionally fit on it? Are there any races that you have competed in in the past that you can send me the overall results so I can take a look at your splits? Everyone else, please let me know what I can help you with/what quesitons you have, so that we can make this spring/summer positive for all of you Ben

I'll be honest, I signed up for the mentor program back during the last session and our "mentor" lasted about a week before she disappeared.  It then became a group of about 3 randoms but I did get some encouragement and a few swimming tips (the other two were "good people").  

As for me, I think I'm in really good shape, have a nice base built (as far as training volume), and for the first time in a long time am injury free.  BUT, I really have no idea where to go from here.  Should I pay for one of the plans on BT?  If so, which one?  I start swim lessons next week and have just started on a new bike ( been doing spin bike on my own for a couple of months).  Also, I'm ready to ramp up my running, now that I've got some speed back.  Suggestions on where to start?
2010-04-22 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2809988

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-22 10:40 AM

I'll be honest, I signed up for the mentor program back during the last session and our "mentor" lasted about a week before she disappeared.  It then became a group of about 3 randoms but I did get some encouragement and a few swimming tips (the other two were "good people").  

As for me, I think I'm in really good shape, have a nice base built (as far as training volume), and for the first time in a long time am injury free.  BUT, I really have no idea where to go from here.  Should I pay for one of the plans on BT?  If so, which one?  I start swim lessons next week and have just started on a new bike ( been doing spin bike on my own for a couple of months).  Also, I'm ready to ramp up my running, now that I've got some speed back.  Suggestions on where to start?

That sucks to hear.....I have been called many things in my 32 years, but a quitter is not one, so I am here for the long haul!

Let's start here - When are the races you have planned on, and what distances are they? How far are you currently swiming/biking/running right now, and at what pace for each?

LMK and I can help point you in the right direction

2010-04-22 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2810003

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-04-22 10:44 AM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-22 10:40 AM I'll be honest, I signed up for the mentor program back during the last session and our "mentor" lasted about a week before she disappeared.  It then became a group of about 3 randoms but I did get some encouragement and a few swimming tips (the other two were "good people").  

That sucks to hear.....I have been called many things in my 32 years, but a quitter is not one, so I am here for the long haul! Let's start here - When are the races you have planned on, and what distances are they? How far are you currently swiming/biking/running right now, and at what pace for each? LMK and I can help point you in the right direction

After thinking for a minute, then scrolling up to check, and wondering who LMK was and what he was going to help me with, I realize I'm in dire need of a vacation.

Buster Britton sprint in mid June
Chattanooga oly in mid July,
1/2 Ironman in late September (Augusta 70.3) or early November (B2B in NC)

Swim - 3-4 times a week, usually a few short sets, a couple of kick sets, then a long set with a bouy, usually 1000-1500 yds at about 1:40 - 1:50/100 pace (trying to concentrate on form, but I know its hurting)  I can do about 200 yards without it before my breathing becomes gasping.  Swim lessons start Tuesday.  I was doing masters class 3 days a week, but I stopped because the coach wasn't helping the beginner lane at all and I spent most of the day trying to stay out of the way of everyone else.  Class was about 35 ppl most of which either swim competitively now or did in college.

Bike - 2 week in the morning for about 30 to 40 minutes, but that will be increased.  I've been going out early since new to biking + tri bike = bad balance = not good = not real comfortable in traffic.  I also get on the spin bike 1 or twice a week.

Run - 3-4 days a week did some rehab for hammies and hip alignment starting to extend the distance a bit.  Usually 2 - 5 miles at anywhere between 7:20 - 7:50 pace.

Cut back this week and last due to a combination of burn out, lack of progress, sick, out of town, etc. But really want to go full speed with a plan next week.

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-04-22 11:26 AM
2010-04-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2810123

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-22 11:22 AM

After thinking for a minute, then scrolling up to check, and wondering who LMK was and what he was going to help me with, I realize I'm in dire need of a vacation.

Swim - 3-4 times a week, usually a few short sets, a couple of kick sets, then a long set with a bouy, usually 1000-1500 yds at about 1:40 - 1:50/100 pace (trying to concentrate on form, but I know its hurting)  I can do about 200 yards without it before my breathing becomes gasping.  Swim lessons start Tuesday.  I was doing masters class 3 days a week, but I stopped because the coach wasn't helping the beginner lane at all and I spent most of the day trying to stay out of the way of everyone else.  Class was about 35 ppl most of which either swim competitively now or did in college.

Bike - 2 week in the morning for about 30 to 40 minutes, but that will be increased.  I've been going out early since new to biking + tri bike = bad balance = not good = not real comfortable in traffic.  I also get on the spin bike 1 or twice a week.

Run - 3-4 days a week did some rehab for hammies and hip alignment starting to extend the distance a bit.  Usually 2 - 5 miles at anywhere between 7:20 - 7:50 pace.

Cut back this week and last due to a combination of burn out, lack of progress, sick, out of town, etc. But really want to go full speed with a plan next week.

I hear you on the vaction!

I am a HUGE proponent of doing more than the distance, this way you get extra fitness, and the knowledge that you are able to complete the distance with plenty to spare in the tank. For example, for my HIM, I will max out distance wise on the swim at about 3500 -4000 yards, about 75-80 miles on the bike, and about 16 miles on the run.

I took a look at your logs and noticed that the one thing that I see missing is a LSD (Long Slow Distance) Swim/Bike/ and run. For example on the bike, it looks like you are around the 20mph range for about 20 miles. I would reccomend bringing that up to 25 miles, but start off at a 17-18 mph pace, so that you do not burn yourself out after 20 miles. Once you get a couple of the 25 milers under your belt increase the ride to 30 miles, and so on. Do this with the running and swimming as well, and it will pay off huge.

As far as a training plan, I would reccomend using this one for you - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... And since there is about 11 weeks left until the Oly, I would reccomend starting in month 2, week 1. the only thing that you may struggle with is the time on the bike, but as long as you go at it a little slower than what you are doing for your 1 hour rides, you should be fine. Also, you will probably have to sign up for the bronze membership in order to have access to this plan. Then, we can get you set up with a Olympic to HIM bridge once the Oly is over

Here is a great tool for everyone to use when it comes to running - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

About halfway down the page there is a running calculator. Enter your best time for a specific distance, and it will bring you to a new page where it calculates "equivilent" performances at different distances, along with giving you the pacing for the long runs and recovery runs.

2010-04-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2810210

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-04-22 11:52 AM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-22 11:22 AM

I hear you on the vaction! I am a HUGE proponent of doing more than the distance, this way you get extra fitness, and the knowledge that you are able to complete the distance with plenty to spare in the tank. For example, for my HIM, I will max out distance wise on the swim at about 3500 -4000 yards, about 75-80 miles on the bike, and about 16 miles on the run. I took a look at your logs and noticed that the one thing that I see missing is a LSD (Long Slow Distance) Swim/Bike/ and run. For example on the bike, it looks like you are around the 20mph range for about 20 miles. I would reccomend bringing that up to 25 miles, but start off at a 17-18 mph pace, so that you do not burn yourself out after 20 miles. Once you get a couple of the 25 milers under your belt increase the ride to 30 miles, and so on. Do this with the running and swimming as well, and it will pay off huge. As far as a training plan, I would reccomend using this one for you - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... And since there is about 11 weeks left until the Oly, I would reccomend starting in month 2, week 1. the only thing that you may struggle with is the time on the bike, but as long as you go at it a little slower than what you are doing for your 1 hour rides, you should be fine. Also, you will probably have to sign up for the bronze membership in order to have access to this plan. Then, we can get you set up with a Olympic to HIM bridge once the Oly is over 

Thanks for all the advice!  In the first day, you've already surpassed the info my last mentor gave me.  Nothing against her, I just don't think she had the time to help.  She also didn't have access to the internet for the first 3 weeks. 

Do you think I would be ok using the 3x Olympic? I might struggle with some of the longer swims and bikes early on, but I think it would be that way anyway.   Also, I'm looking into getting a bike trainer since the only real bike trails with minimal traffic are a good ways away and I live in the city. -  Yes there is a city in Alabama, not much of one, but a city nonetheless.
2010-04-22 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Thanks....I am glad you find everything helpful. You can definately do the 3x olympic plan, just be careful of the volume as there is a lot more training. If nothing else, I would actually reccomend getting both of them, and then starting on the 2x version for the first couple weeks, and if it is not enough, move to the 3x. The last thing that you want is an overuse injury, so take your time and build slowly, and you will be ready come race day

Ben
2010-04-22 11:06 PM

Kirkland, WA
I want to say first off…thanks for volunteering.  I know this is going to take time for you to help us six and I just wanted to thank you for your generosity and benevolence.   You have asked a lot about goals and for me specifically…I guess my problem is that I don’t even know what good goals are.  I understand the “hey- just try to finish” mindset, and I am fine with that to a point.  I have been training fairly actively for about 2 months trying to build a base.  I have been using a heart rate monitor, mostly for the runs and completing most of my rides on a trainer (Kurt Kinetic).    We don’t have the nest weather up here, and rain + novice rider + traffic = potentially bad time.  When it’s nice I have ventured out, but I have to say the constant grind on the trainer seems to be a better workout J (I will concede that it does not build much in terms of skill).  I am eager to be faster etc but have been trying to build a base.  With little to no experience in any of the disciplines I am starting from scratch.   In terms of the run to keep my heart rate in the recommended zone (180-age method) I find myself running just under 10 min miles. I have always been fairly athletic, about 6’2’ 190 lbs and played football and basketball for a number of years so I feel like this is an incredibly slow pace.  I know building a base slow is kind of the idea…and I feel like I am getting faster ...but still.  Let me know if any of this makes sense or what questions you might have to give me some advice on what a rookie like me should expect, or shoot for in my first tri season.  Thanks agin.

2010-04-23 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2811552

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
TriKirkland - 2010-04-22 11:06 PM

I want to say first off…thanks for volunteering.  I know this is going to take time for you to help us six and I just wanted to thank you for your generosity and benevolence.   You have asked a lot about goals and for me specifically…I guess my problem is that I don’t even know what good goals are.  I understand the “hey- just try to finish” mindset, and I am fine with that to a point.  I have been training fairly actively for about 2 months trying to build a base.  I have been using a heart rate monitor, mostly for the runs and completing most of my rides on a trainer (Kurt Kinetic).    We don’t have the nest weather up here, and rain + novice rider + traffic = potentially bad time.  When it’s nice I have ventured out, but I have to say the constant grind on the trainer seems to be a better workout J (I will concede that it does not build much in terms of skill).  I am eager to be faster etc but have been trying to build a base.  With little to no experience in any of the disciplines I am starting from scratch.   In terms of the run to keep my heart rate in the recommended zone (180-age method) I find myself running just under 10 min miles. I have always been fairly athletic, about 6’2’ 190 lbs and played football and basketball for a number of years so I feel like this is an incredibly slow pace.  I know building a base slow is kind of the idea…and I feel like I am getting faster ...but still.  Let me know if any of this makes sense or what questions you might have to give me some advice on what a rookie like me should expect, or shoot for in my first tri season.  Thanks agin.

You are welcome....I enjoy helping others, and this is an easy way for me to give back. It sounds like you have a lot of tools already and have built a nice base, both are a positive. I live in Minnesota and can attest to the crappy weather in the spring, but for some reason, this year has been wonderful, but I have spent a lot of time on the traininer in the years past over the winter/spring, but please note, that while the trainer is a great tool, you will need to get out on the bike in order to get the appropriate handling skills, and confidence on your bike. So, I would reccomend when it is dry/low traffic (yes, even if it is windy) to get out, even if it is only for 15-20 minutes...it will help your feel on the bike

I looked at the last post you made, and it looks like the race you are prepping for is an Oly in August. At this point you have +/- 16 weeks to your race, so I would reccomend switching to the 16 week 2x Oly plan I reccomended for George a couple posts back, that way it will get your necessary volume up to what is needed for race day. The sprints in between now and the Oly should be used like hard training days/practivce sessions/run throughs to get an idea of what to expect come race day

As far as your running speed/HR, I would reccomend looking through this thread, and rethinking the use of the traditional 220-Age for a HR training zonesfollowing it to "reset" your HR zones

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2010-04-23 3:51 PM

Donostia-San Sebastián
Thanks for giving some of your time to help us out.  I am really looking forward to learning a few things. 

Like so many people, I don't live in a place that has perfect weather for cycling during the winter and spring.  It rains here nearly every day, and the days it doesn't always seem to be the days I don't have time to get out on my bike.  I live in a city, and as a novice cyclist, my confidence in traffic is as down there with my confidence on wet roads. 

I have a fair base in the other two disciplines.  I am not very fast in either, and I know I really need some guidance on my swim form, but I think I will be able to complete the distances on raceday.

I am using the Olympic 16 week training program, though I must admit I have not followed it as closely as I would like.  Travel and weather have really messed that up. 

2010-04-23 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2812952

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
strangebrou - 2010-04-23 3:51 PM

Thanks for giving some of your time to help us out.  I am really looking forward to learning a few things. 

Like so many people, I don't live in a place that has perfect weather for cycling during the winter and spring.  It rains here nearly every day, and the days it doesn't always seem to be the days I don't have time to get out on my bike.  I live in a city, and as a novice cyclist, my confidence in traffic is as down there with my confidence on wet roads. 

I have a fair base in the other two disciplines.  I am not very fast in either, and I know I really need some guidance on my swim form, but I think I will be able to complete the distances on raceday.

I am using the Olympic 16 week training program, though I must admit I have not followed it as closely as I would like.  Travel and weather have really messed that up. 

You are welcome....one thing that I have found that even while traveling, if you can squeeze in a run, even a short one (10-15 minutes) it will help greatly. As far as the weather, if you don't already have a trainer I would reccomend looking into one, they are a great tool to have when you can't get outside to ride. I am not sure on bike stores in Spain, but a great international internet site is www.probikekit.com, I believe they are based in the UK (???) and ship world wide, so you may be able to find a great price on a trainer (and other items) there

As far as riding in the city, even though you are still a little skiddish, I would reccomend getting out on your bike whenever you can, it will help your handling and overall confidence come race day. Another thing that I do quite often, is to throw my bike in the car and drive (sometimes up to 2 hours) to go ride different routes (mainly hills, as there are not many where I live), so that is something that you could do as well

Ben
2010-04-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2813147

Donostia-San Sebastián
benihana - 2010-04-23 6:31 PM
strangebrou - 2010-04-23 3:51 PM Thanks for giving some of your time to help us out.  I am really looking forward to learning a few things. 

You are welcome....one thing that I have found that even while traveling, if you can squeeze in a run, even a short one (10-15 minutes) it will help greatly. As far as the weather, if you don't already have a trainer I would reccomend looking into one, they are a great tool to have when you can't get outside to ride. I am not sure on bike stores in Spain, but a great international internet site is www.probikekit.com, I believe they are based in the UK (???) and ship world wide, so you may be able to find a great price on a trainer (and other items) there As far as riding in the city, even though you are still a little skiddish, I would reccomend getting out on your bike whenever you can, it will help your handling and overall confidence come race day. Another thing that I do quite often, is to throw my bike in the car and drive (sometimes up to 2 hours) to go ride different routes (mainly hills, as there are not many where I live), so that is something that you could do as well Ben

Thanks for the encouragement.  Today was beautiful here, so I went out for a ride and had my best one to date.  It was one of those routes that is uphill both ways, so it was tough, but great.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5