BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-07-17 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2805877

Athens
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - CLOSED
I just saw my first triathlon (Wet Dog in Decatur, AL).  I went to try to get more of an idea of what it was like since my first sprint is scheduled around a month away.  I was really impressed by the people that were competing.  All ages, body types, and abilities were represented.  I was really impressed by one guy that was probably close to 400 lbs., but was gettin-r-dun. 

My times are still not great, but I'm really enjoying the training process.  However, I probably need to be a little more intense and consistent.

Today's training:  3 mile run (26:00), 6.1 mile bike (22:30), 400 yard swim (11:30).

2010-07-19 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2987055

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
That is good to hear that you went to a race and were able to see how everything ran, hopefully that gives you a better idea of what to expect come race day.

As far as your times and training intensity, I wouldn't worry too much about either. Just make sure to get the volume in, so that you can enjoy the race the first time around.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out

2010-07-23 2:02 PM

Athens
2010-08-06 9:11 AM

Athens
Is anyone doing anything?  updates?
2010-08-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3027168

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
cvining12 - 2010-08-06 9:11 AM Is anyone doing anything?  updates?

Well, for me it was good news and bad news.  I got a promo and am moving to Dallas.  The bad news is that I will miss the races that I had penciled in for this year.  I also won't be able to train properly the next couple of months with the move and all the travel.  But due to all the training so far, I'm pretty close to marathon shape already so I'm just going to put the triathlons off til next year.  I'm going to continue swimming and cycling as a XT supplement to my running.  I'm going to do the Denver half in October just for fun and Dallas White Rock full (A race)  in December.  Training is tough enough, but anybody done any races in the high heat lately?  If so, hats off to you.  102 with triple digit humidity is just brutal. 

Beni' - I'm about to get into some serious speedwork in a few weeks.  My training plan now calls for speedwork every other week in the form of mile repeats with half mile jogs.  Would you trim that down to 800 repeats and would you do speedwork once a week instead of every two weeks?  Marathon is 17 weeks away and I'm around 25 miles a week at the moment.  But I've been cycling a lot (did my first 70 miler two weeks ago). Longest recent run lately was 14 which was pretty easy.  I feel really good.  Recommendations??
2010-08-16 8:22 PM

Athens
Subject: First triathlon this Saturday
My first triathlon is coming up this Saturday.  3 mile run, 6 mile bike, 400 meter swim.  My goal is to do it in under an hour.  That's probably easily doable for most of you, but it will be a challenge for me.  My goal is to do the 3 mile run in 26 min., 6 mile bike in 21 min., swim in 10 min. 30 sec., and 2 min. in transition time.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

2010-08-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3027230

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-08-06 9:31 AM

Beni' - I'm about to get into some serious speedwork in a few weeks.  My training plan now calls for speedwork every other week in the form of mile repeats with half mile jogs.  Would you trim that down to 800 repeats and would you do speedwork once a week instead of every two weeks?  Marathon is 17 weeks away and I'm around 25 miles a week at the moment.  But I've been cycling a lot (did my first 70 miler two weeks ago). Longest recent run lately was 14 which was pretty easy.  I feel really good.  Recommendations??

Congrats on the new job!

You can start with Mile repeats, but since it is your first go at them, I would reccomend backing that down to either half or quarter mile repeats. Keep in mind when you do speedwork you want to give your body enough time to rest, but not enough time to recover completely. One great workout for marathoner's is called Yasso's. It is a series of 1/2 mile repeats (1/2 mile hard, equal time easy or half mile easy). The theory behind these is that if you want to run a 4:00:00 marathon, you would run 10x 4:00 1/2 mile repeats

As far as where you are at in your training, I would start with 5-6 half mile repeats, which would get you an 8-9 mile workout (2 mile warm up, 1 mile cool down) and progress from there

Best of luck!
2010-08-17 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3047169

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: First triathlon this Saturday
cvining12 - 2010-08-16 8:22 PM

My first triathlon is coming up this Saturday.  3 mile run, 6 mile bike, 400 meter swim.  My goal is to do it in under an hour.  That's probably easily doable for most of you, but it will be a challenge for me.  My goal is to do the 3 mile run in 26 min., 6 mile bike in 21 min., swim in 10 min. 30 sec., and 2 min. in transition time.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

I am sure you will do great! Let us know how it goes
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5