J&A Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 8s
Overall Rank = 750/1033
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 18/29
Pre-race routine:

Did most of my prep the night before. Got up at 5am, made some oatmeal and headed over later than I planned. Parking was a problem. I ended up parking a few blocks away in a residential area and other people parked even farther than me. By the time I parked and set up my transition area, there was only about 15 minutes before they closed the transition area.
Event warmup:

I had 40 minutes from the start of the race to the start of my wave (the last wave). Because they were strict about closing off the transition area, I had no access to my bike or shoes and couldn't do a full warmup (I wasn't expecting this. Maybe I can plan for this next time by at least bringing an extra pair of shoes.) I set my wetsuit down and jogged up and down the park in my bare feet to warmup some. Then I started swimming out and back about 15 minutes before my wave began.
Swim
  • 31m 11s
  • 1250 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the first good swim I've had in a race. I just felt like everything clicked. I didn't get out of breath or feel too constricted by my wetsuit. I went "slow" and focused on my form and I ended up passing people from up to 2 waves before me but there were people passing me up as well. I veered to the right so I had to keep correcting and probably put in more than 1250m.
What would you do differently?:

Be stronger in my form -- pull harder. Swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Everything went well except it was a little difficult to get my bike shoes on. I didn't rush, but I didn't take my time either. Wetsuit off/helmet on went well. My neighbors had been careful not to knock my bike over so when I got there my helmet was still on my handlebars which was nice. I got a Bento box yesterday which was great! I had my gu and my gloves in there so I didn't have to put the gu into my jersey pockets or put my gloves on. This was also my first race with my new tri shorts. The pad is a little thin and I'm still getting used to that but it was great to not have to put bike shorts on in T1 or run with a large pad.

Move quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 48s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike is my best leg. I passed a bunch of people and only got passed by a handful. I think aerobars would have helped me today because most of the people who passed me had them and there was a pretty strong wind. That will probably be my next investment. The course was definitely painful but I didn't have any major problems. I ate 2 gu's and drank about 4oz of water and 20oz of Gatorade, which was just about right.

I still hate using bottles, but I think the camelback still may have been more trouble than it's worth. I may just have to get good at reaching down and using a bottle. I probably could have pushed harder in a few sections. Having someone ahead of me that I try to catch (I got almost all of them) is a good tool. I also need to bone up on the USAT rules because there were course officials and I didn't get caught but I was talking to one of them later and I broke at least a couple of rules.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

T2 seemed to go slow for some reason. Maybe it was just my perception. I put my shoes on then had everything in a pile and I just grabbed it all and started running. This time I was sure to put my shoes on top and the rest of the stuff (race belt, hydration belt, hat) underneath because that's the order that I access it. I didn't have the leaden leg feeling at all when running off the bike. It was just difficult because of the accumulated fatigue.

Move quicker. Visualize exactly what I'm going to do before I do it (either before the race or while on the bike) so there is no hesitation.
Run
  • 1h 01m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well considering what I had done just before it. I was holding onto 10+min miles until the final 1 or 2 miles. I pulled over at one point to take a leak behind a tree because I didn't use the port-a-potties in the transition area. Nobody screamed so I guess I was discreet enough. This leg was probably the most challenging. I had worried that this race would have been twice as hard because it was almost twice as long as a Sprint, but really it wasn't that much harder, just longer. This was exemplified on the run. I just kept on trudging along for what seemed like was a long time. The miles seemed longer than a mile. I had my amphipod belt with 3 bottles and I used 2.5 of them. I was glad that I had my own hydration and didn't have to rely on or stop for the race's. I drank an adequate amount. I did take water from most of the rest stops but just to pour over my head. They had a lot of stations and the water was COLD, which was great! I'm not sure how much harder I could have gone. I didn't feel totally wiped and I didn't puke at the end, so I guess I still had some left. I'm continually learning how to pace myself, which is another factor for me in becoming faster.

Use the port-a-potties in the transition area (a questionable change). Push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked right into and through the food line. I got there too late for any pizza to be left. After eating a little, I stretched for about 10 minutes. Then I went to my T-area, had my R4, then packed up and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running is probably my biggest limiter. Swimming is a limiter also but I think I'm closer to where I want to be with it than I am with running. Continuing to lose weight, and not cutting corners on my schedule will help me perform well at my next Oly in 6 weeks.

Event comments:

I felt like this course is matched well to my current ability. The post-race party was great -- lots of food and a live band. There were lots of people at this race, and a lot of really strong athletes. It was very well organized and the course was very nice (except the lake is kind of scummy). It's the biggest and most well organized and supported race I've done so far.

Last updated: 2005-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:11 | 1250 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/29
Overall: 854/1033
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S1 fullsuit
Course: The course was around the perimeter of the lake with bouys on the left (my good side -- yay!). As we came around the small lake toward the finish, we cut back to the center of the lake to add distance, then straight in to the swim finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:48 | 24.8 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/29
Overall: 601/1033
Wind:
Course: It was a loop course, not out and back, which was nice. There was one section that was out and back. Going out, there was a strong headwind. Coming back it turned into a strong tailwind, which was great. It was 15mph out and 25mph back. The infamous Bailey Ave hill was treacherous. I read race reports about it but no one really described how awful it was. I was going 6mph in my granny gear and passing people! Luckily it was less than a mile and then it was downhill or flat to the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:26 | 06.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/29
Overall: 859/1033
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the lake and river with one loop section around the satellite "pond". Mostly on an asphalt, paved bike trail, but with sections of dirt/gravel. There was also a dirt shoulder for most of the run course that I used to save my knees. There was a decent amount of shade on the course which helped because the sun was out by the time I started the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 12:46 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: San Jose International

2005-06-27 1:11 AM
in reply to: #184169

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: San Jose International

Good job on the race!  I heard that the headwind was really tough, but there was one great section where it pushed you along.

I didn't realize you were from CA too, good to "know" someone else in the N. Ca area...  what's the next Oly you're doing?

2005-06-27 5:36 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
great job and a very good report!

Ken
2005-06-27 9:55 AM
in reply to: #184178

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Mike,

Great job on your race!

Pam

2005-06-27 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Great Job, I can imagine the wind yesterday was not fun!!!
2005-06-27 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Mike, nice job with your race!!!

2005-06-27 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
hey mike -

i was out there w/you! that headwind was a killer. agree w/you that aerobars seem like a good choice for this event. i didn't have them either

awesome job! what's next?

kelly

Edited by kirby 2005-06-27 5:14 PM
2005-06-28 2:20 PM

User image

Mike - way to go on the Oly!!! Seeing Oly racers at my sprint last weekend gafve me a new respect for that distance.

Chris

2005-06-28 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
good race report. Didn't know a fellow Clydesdale was also a BT'er! Wave 11 unite!
2005-06-28 9:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Job!!  You were smoking on the bike even with the headwinds. Your training is really paying off. Just wait until your next Oly...you'll be doing even better. Your race report is terrific and makes me feel like I was there. Seems like in longer distances they are more picky about transitons...that happened in my 1/4 Ironman too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Jose International Rss Feed