Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cobourg > August 28th Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-12 5:50 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Cobourg > August 28th
Just wondering if anyone else is planning to race Cobourg? 

There aren't a lot of race reports on file.  I understand the bike is a hilly challenge but am curious about the run & swim. 

Also thinking about going without a wetsuit - anyone know anything about the swimming conditions?

Thanks in advance!
M.

2010-08-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3038786

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Cobourg > August 28th
Hi Marcia - I'll probably do the sprint in Cobourg.

I've done the Give-it-a-Tri in 2006 (my first tri) and I did the Sprint in 2007.
The swim is in Lake Ontarion so you can't really predict the conditions - in 2006 it was perfectly smooth and very easy, in 2007 it was windy and the waves were a factor. For the Give-it-a-Try the race officials offered a Duathlon and quite a few went for it.  The water temp can also shift from day to day depending on the waves and if the cold water layer 'turns over'. I'd bring my wetsuit with me just in case and decide on the morning of the race.

The Give it a try bike course is quite easy (one long, gentle climb and descent) but the longer distance bike rides have quite a few rolling hills. I had some problems with traffic and farm equipment riding on the road during the Sprint race but nothing too serious.

The run is on residential streets and quite flat.

The race location is great for kids - there are playgrounds, splashpad and a sandy beach for them to play on.

Cheers,
Mark

2010-08-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3038786

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Cobourg > August 28th
Sounds good Mark!  Thanks!  I'll be doing the oly on the Saturday - I think the sprint is the Sunday.  I'll let you know how the water is.  Good luck with it.  I'm praying for calm warm waters and itty bitty hills
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cobourg > August 28th Rss Feed