BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-01-08 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
Name: Southwestmba/Andy Rosebrook
Story: Entering my 9th season doing Tris. Started to lose weight (lost 65 pounds) and get in shape but it has become a passion. I finished 6th to last my first sprint with a 9.8 mph bike split, but I was totally hooked. My second season I did an olympic, my third a Half Ironman, and at the end of my fourth I completed Ironman Florida. The next year I won a lottery spot and got to compete in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, HI. I have kept it up and done an Ironman each of the last five years (FL,HI,AZ,UK, Rev3 Cedar Point). Last year I cut back and only did the Rev 3 Series (Rev 3 Knoxville Olympic, Rev3 Quazzy Half and Olympic on the same weekend for my 40th birthday(The Revolution), and the Full Iron Distance REV3 at Cedar Point). While I have improved greatly since that first race, the most important thing for me is having a good time and enjoying training and the experience of racing. I have gotten the chance to compete in triathlons in 13 different states, 6 different times zones and two countries. This sport is so unique, I have met World Champions, (Andy Potts, Natash Badmana, Chrissie Wellington) and they are as down to earth and friendly as any triathete you would meet at a local race. Triathlon is a great sport and has helped my grow in many way and achieve many goals and a few lifelong dreams and I would love to help folks get into it and achieve their goals. I have reached two of my lifelong dreams in a 6 month period when I had the opportunty to compete at Kona and then run the Boston Marathon 6 month later. There is no greater feeling than realizing a dream, and if I could share that feeling it would be great. I have been a BT mentor the last two winters. BT is a great resource and has helped me a ton and I'd like to show folks

Family Status: Married with 2 boys (14 and 10).

Training Status: My two major races this year are currently Eagleman 70.3 in June where I hope to qualify for USAT Half-Max and Ironman Canada in late August. Planning on completing at most of the REV 3 triathlon series again 2011. An Olympic or HIM in Knoxville TN, a Olympic in Middleton , CT, the half in Cedar Point Ohio, and the initial HIM in Anderson, SC . I do a lot of base distance work and hills, not much emphasis on speed. I have a Computrainer and got two new interactive course (IM Canada and IM Lake Placid -both of which I hope do by 2012), so I see a lot of cycling in my future.

2010 Races: The full REV 3 triathlon series in 2010. An Olympic in Knoxville TN, an Olympic and HIM in Middleton , CT on back to back days (The Revolution), and a full Iron Distance in Cedar Point Ohio. Plus the Revolutionary Run at Valley Forge NP and a few local 5Ks

2011 Races Planned: My two major races this year are currently Eagleman 70.3 in June where I hope to qualify for USAT Half-Max and Ironman Canada in late August. Planning on completing at most of the REV 3 triathlon series again 2011. An Olympic or HIM in Knoxville TN, a Olympic in Middleton , CT, the half in Cedar Point Ohio, and the initial Rev 3 HIM in Anderson, SC. Also would like to do the Escape from Fort Deleware Olympic in May as well.

Weightloss: I lost about 55 pounds my first year from 230 to 175, and have maintained that weight until this year when I dropped another 5-10 pounds to help reduced the ponding on my knees.

Why a good mentor?: As I am starting my 9th season, having completed 5 Ironmans, 12 HIMS, 9 marathons, 18 half marathons, and over 50 Tris and DUs, I have learned a lot of things the hard way. I am self coached, have have to balance family, a demandding job with quite a bit of travel, but along the way have improved greatly (Bike splits from a 9.8 mph ave to 21+ mph, running from 9 min miles to 7 min miles, and swim from struggling to breath to 1:42/100 ave for an ironman swim). I am a MOPer, who has been able to do 5 ironmans keeping training volumes to 10-12 hour week max.

I was also selected the BTer of the Month for Nov 2009, so you can listen to the podcast to learn a little bit more about me. http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1850

I have also been fortunate to have been part of Team Trakkers the last two plus years which has given me an oppotunity to pick the brains of my pro teammates including Richie Cunningham, Michael and Amanda Lavato, Carole Sharpless, Dede Griesbauer, Jacqui Gordon, and Mary Beth Ellis. Plus our Team is being sponsored by Revolution 3, First Endurance Nutrition, Kestral Bicycles, Avia shoes, All3sport.com, and SBR sports which gives me access to alot of amzaing people and resources to help find answers and help to my group.

Edited by southwestmba 2011-05-02 11:12 PM

2011-04-25 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group
Is anybody out there?

I am battling my way through a bout of Plantar Faciatisis in my left foot. My first significant injury in the last 9 years, but after 5-6 week of limited running I am finally on the comeback trail. Got a night brace, heel cups, super whamidyne tape, a can of beef-a-roni, and a vodoo doll and it seems to be working. But it really stinks and reminds me I'm getting old. But that is part of life and part of the sport.

Andy
2011-04-26 8:41 PM

Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-OPEN

Id like to join your group.  Im a newby.  Im getting ready for a sprint tri June 12.  I have a borrowed 1980s era bike, sore knees, suspect swimming stroke, but lots of determination.  I havnt really followed any program other than doing at least one of the activivties each day, lots of times two. 

My swimming has improved a lot in the last few months.  I usually swim in the pool for 45 minutes or so.  Last weekend I swam in the lake and feel confident I can complete the 750m swim with no problems.  In the pool I can swim 750m in 19 min.  Goal in race is 20 min.

I try to ride my bike 17 miles 3 or so times a week.  This takes me around 1 hr and 10 min.  This is all in my neighborhood with a lot of slowing down for turns.  My goal is to do the 17 miles in 1 hr on race day.

Running is the hardest for me.  I can run 5k on the treadmill in 28-29 minutes.  Outside I have not been under 30 minutes yet.  Goal in the race is 30 minutes.

Goal for the event is 2 hrs.

I am 6'2" 220lb.  Weighed 255 18 months ago.  Ive lost 10 pounds or so this year and would like to loose 5 or so more in the next month.

I really havnt had any instruction, just doing what seems right.  What kind of training should I be doing 6 weeks away from a sprint tri?

Thanks, tuna

2011-04-26 8:44 PM

Oh, and I had planter fascitis last summer.  Got a boot and that didnt seem to help, just made it hard to sleep.  I rolled my foot on a golf ball and that seemed to help.  Took a while to get over, but it will get better.
2011-04-26 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about your PF.  I had it really bad back in 2008 before I started working out for triathlons.  Sounds like your doing some of the right things, but the key for me was going to a podiatrist who get me some arch supports and sent me to physical therapy.  I found a really good sports physical therapy practice that focuses on runners.  Besides about a dozen sessions, the key was doing the stretching and exercises on a daily basis.  I rarely have any PF pain now, and it enabled me going from being able to hardly walk on some days to completing 2 triathlons, several races and a half marathon the following year.

Good luck with Eagleman.  I'm planning on doing it next year, as well as my first Ironman in 2012.  I let the wheels come off in 2010, but I feel like I'm back on the path to success.  If you're running an active group, I'd like to join if you're looking for people.

Tom

2011-04-27 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hey Andy,
Do you have room for me???
I would love to have some people to talk to as I start ramping up for my second try at the IM distance. 
A little bit about me: 
I'm a 25 year old who has been tri'ing for I think 6 years now.  I'm a single, full time working (pediatric psych counselor) and part time nursing student who has to take a summer class this year   My time is spread between my family (thank goodness for free rent ) working, school and training.  I have a lot of supportive friends and co-workers, however, I only have a few close friends that have been through an IM and can be a sounding board or emotional support as I go through training again.
I started out with sprint distances all those years back, had a very bad second season where I burned out, came back the next year and did my first HIM, which was my signal to sign up for IM WI in 2009, had a good season leading up to IM, but burned out emotionally.  We had a warm day at IM WI in 2009 and I got dehydrated early on between the swim and bike.  I made the decision to DNF about 70 miles into the bike knowing I wasn't going to make the cutoff and not wanting to let them pull me from the race.  It was devastating!  But I learned so much from my experience.
I took last year to just bring the joy back to racing.  I ran my first marathon at Walt Disney World in Jan of 2010 and had a very full season between another marathon, a couple of half marathons, several triathlons and a HIM.  I went back to IM WI to volunteer in 2010 and then signed up again for IM WI 2011.
I have had a great training season so far and since my last marathon last fall I have dropped 35 pounds.  I have a marathon in 2.5 weeks and my training is picking up a bit.  IM WI is on 9/11 this year and I am certainly using that as motivation to be successful this year.  However with the success so far this year, I am getting some pretty bad DNF nightmares and dealing with the mental side of doing this again.  I would LOVE any advice anyone has!!!!
Thanks and look forward to chatting with everyone soon!!!!

2011-04-27 7:40 PM

User image

Chandler, AZ
Andy,  I'd like to join your group if I may.  Do you still have room? 
2011-04-27 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Pam, Tom and Tuna

Glad to have you in the group. It's been a good week for me as my PF is responding well to the stretching and exercises and I've been able to run with almost no pain. That is such a relief after the past few weeks.

Hopefully everyone uses the logs here on BT. They are the reason I started using this site and now I have 5+ years of workout data in my logs. It really can be encouraging to be able to see how far you have come over the years and how your base has been built up.

For starters what does your early season schedules look like? I like to do a few road races (5K, 5 milers) early in the year to knock the rust off and get the feel of racing again. I did my first two last weekend a 5K in Norristown on Saturday and a 5 miler through Valley Forge National Park on Sunday. It was also a big test for my PF which I didn't completely pass as Sunday's race was certainly impacted but I did win my AG in the 5K on Saturday. My first triathlon of the season is the Rev3 HIM Triathlon in Knoxville, TN on May 15, 2011. I had a nasty bike wreck there last year so there is some redemption coming my way this year.

I'll leave you with a little philosophy from my blog http://andyrosebrook.blogspot.com/2011/03/winning-isnt-everything.h...

Talk to you soon
Andy

2011-04-27 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3470155

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tamaratom

Glad to have you in the group. Plenty of room! Tell us a little about your self and your goals for this year!

Andy
2011-04-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3470170

User image

Chandler, AZ

I am a newbie.  I raced in a sprint tri (a varsity boy scout tri) last weekend in Safford, AZ with four days of heading to the gym beforehand.  I did it with my son (who placed 27/1059...he's in much better shape than me).  Basically from couch to tri.  I had a borrowed road bike and ran/walked the 2.5 mile run...but I finished and I hadn't felt that exhilerated in a long time.  I absolutely loved it and I'm excited to give it another go.  I am looking to do the Camp Pendleton Tri August 6th.  I'm ready to train for this one .  I am in the market for a new tri bike so I'll take your advice on that if you have any (budgeting around 3k). 

I'm 41 years old, married with 4 kids (15, 13, 9, and 5).  Live in beautiful but hot Phoenix, AZ.  I work as an orthodontist and spend my day with my hands in peoples mouths.  It's fulfilling changing peoples lives by helping with their smile.  My wife is supportive but cautious ( I think she is thinking, "is he going through midlife crisis?").  I'm 6 foot and 205.  I'd like to get under the clydesdale group by August.  I'm busy with church responsibilities, kids, wife and running my business, but I'm giving this tri training some priority in there as well.  I'm looking at 5-7 hours/week to budget into my schedule. 

My goals for this year to compete in a tri (hopefully Camp Pendleton) and finish feeling stronger, lose 10 lbs. and gain some confidence that I can actually run more than 2 miles without feeling like I'm going to die.  I've always been active and athletics were a major part of my life for years.  Football and discus in high school.  Weight training  has always come naturally for me and I consider myself fairly strong.  Unfortunately, endurance has always been my nemesis.  I've never like running so that is my weakness.  Biking and swimming I feel a bit better at. 

So now, I'm just a sponge, trying to soak up there is to learn out there (theres a lot!!).  Thanks, Andy for your blog, your inspiration and your experience. 

2011-04-27 8:50 PM

Regular
I'd like to be part of your group, if there is an opening. I'm a newb, I have 2 indoor tri's and a 5k under my belt, but I am signing up and preparing for a beginner triathlon at Hawk Island near Lansing MI: Swim 437.45 yards Bike 9.94 miles Run 3.11 miles . It takes place June 5th.

2011-04-28 12:01 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good evening everyone! I knocked out 90 minutes on the Computrainer tonight and had a great ride while watching some hockey (Bruins-Canadians to see who is up next for my Flyers). One of the folks in the group asked about bikes. While I'm not a bike expert, I have had some good luck. I started out doing Tris on a Target special (2 for $30) mountain bike which I used for my first 7 races. I upgraded to a Specialized Allez Elete road bike, aluminum frame. That was a huge difference in speed. My local bike shop also threw in free lifetime maintenance which was great. I used that bike for my first 4 Ironmans and still use it today as my trainer bike. I added clip on aerobars and clip in pedals. Great brand and a great and versitile bike. Last year I upgraded to my first Tri Bike, a Kestrel Tallon. Carbon Fiber frame, a great bike and fairly economical as tri bikes go in the $2000 range. I would highly recommend any of the Kestrel models,
2011-04-28 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hi Everyone!
Nice to see some newbies joining the groups!!!  From personal experience, tris can change your life.  I don't honestly remember my life without them!  However with how good they can be, they can also be that much harder on your life when things aren't going well.
My early training and racing season has been ruined by horrible weather up in Northeast WI.  We have had around 90 inches of snow this year with the last storm having happened a week ago Tuesday.  I have had to not start my first couple of races, which were a half marathon and a 5K.  My first race this season is in about 2 weeks and will be my 3rd marathon in my hometown of Green Bay WI.  It is quite cool to run through Lambeau Field especially after they won the Superbowl this year!
My month of June will be a lot of solid base training and distance building.  I am planning on getting on the IM course a few times this summer.  July brings my first tri of the year, a HIM and a spirit.
For those of you unfamiliar with the IM WI course, the bike is really hard!!  It is a stem with a 40 mile double loop.  The forty miles has very few actual flat straight stretches so you are constantly shifting turning, going up or down hill.  Lots of bike time for me this summer if I can ever get outside!

Andy, I can relate.  During my HIM last summer, it was rainy and I took a corner too sharp around mile 46 or so and went down really hard on my bike.  It stunned me but I got back on and kept going and still set a PR for the race.  It wasn't until I stopped and got to see how I really felt that I realized my knee was pretty banged up as well as my shoulder.  Make sense why every aid station on the run wanted me to stop and have them fix me up!  I also examined my helmet and realized I had a 2 inche crack on the side of my helmet.  DON'T EVER RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!  I learned the right way and don't even ride my bike down the driveway without it on!
Well I look forward to talking with everyone!  Off to do some training!!
2011-04-28 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Here's my story, sorry for the length, but I just got into long, slow, ramble mode.

In 2002, my oldest son got interested in triathlons, and did a couple of sprints, and usually managed a podium in the 15-19 age group.  What I liked was the combination of the sports, and more importantly, I liked the people that I met at these races.  I vowed that I would do one by the time I was 50.  Since I was only 42 at the time, there was plenty of time to get started, so it was back to the couch.

Fast forward to 2009, and I was getting fed up with my weight.  I felt there was no way I could do a triathlon by 50, but maybe while during my 50th year would count - more sliding.  However, I did start walking and watching what I ate.  2 months later, I was down 17 pounds, and I was feeling better.  I saw an advertisement for the Nation's Triathlon in September, and I decided that signing up for an Olympic triathlon and committing to the high entry fee was a challenge I needed to make for myself.  I had yet to run a step probably in 10 years.  The next day, I started a couch to 5k running plan.  I could barely managed 2 minutes, downhill.  I worked my way up. 1 mile! 2 miles!, 3.11miles!  I knew I could do it, and then I started the 20 weeks Beginner Olympic training plan here.  My oldest son came out for a visit that summer, and I thought it would be cool to do a triathlon with my inspiration.  I completed the NJ Sprint Triathlon in July after losing 60 pounds to date.  I learned a lot, but I still had a long way to go.  In September, I finished the Nation's Triathlon.  Goal met! 

After that, I had my sights on an Ironman someday, and I was feeling pretty fit.  I thought if I could do a triathlon, I could do a half marathon, and finished the Philly half in November 2009.  But then I fell into a trap of my own design.  While tracking my calories on Livestrong MyPlate, I was amazed by how many calories I was burning.  I also started reading the Paleo diet for Athlete's.  The trap I fell into was that since I was burning so many calories running 25+ miles/week, I could eat lots, and drink beer, even though my weight was creeping up, and not down towards my goal weight.  With the lack of cross training, I managed to strain my hamstrings.  Less training, and more weight.

In 2010, I attempted the Columbia Olympic Triathlon.  I was very complacent about my training, and did hardly any swimming.  First time using a wet suit, and the feeling of being constricted kind of freaked me out, and I couldn't find a decent rhythym on the swim, and had to be towed ashore.  A very humilating experience.  Then it was onto the DC tri in June. While my training was better, it was nowhere what it should have been.  It was a very hot day, and I had considerable difficulty finishing the race.  I still didn't get it and I continued to let the wheels fall off of my training and diet.  By now, I put on all the weight back on I had taken off.  Somehow I managed to run/walk the Parks half triathlon in September 2010, but at a cost to my hamstrings.  They were shot and I couldn't run for weeks.  For the next 6 months I had a lot of very significant and stressful family issues, and my training and diet suffered even more.

Finally, this month, I rediscovered my committment to triathlons.  A book I am reading is helping with one of the past mistakes I made - Weight Management for Triathletes.  My head is in a lot better spot about what I need to do, and what not to do.  I'm doing the DC Triathlon again in June, but I don't think I'll be ready for the Olympic, so I'll have to do the sprint.  Maybe another Tri over the summer, and then it's the Nation's Triathlon in September.  I have a goal of improving my time.  I'm using the BT beginner olympic plan again.

After that, my goals for 2012 include Eagleman.  I want to do WTC branded event, and that's the closest one to me.  I know it's a tough course, but the challenge motivates me to work hard on the bike.  After that, my plan is to do Ironman Wisconsin or Florida in 2012.  I know it's a lot harder than IMFL, but I'd really like to do Wisconsin because of the great crowds.  I also want to do Wisconsin for a little bit of a brag factor.  It's 2 weeks before my 30th college reunion, and I'd really like to show up as an Ironman.

I'm back to keeping my training logs up-to-date.  I like looking at Andy's logs.  I find his consistency to be pretty inspiring.  Someday, I hope to be able to join him on a run when I visit his office.

2011-04-28 4:27 PM

User image

Hi, I'd like you join the group if possible.

Last year I decided that I wanted to do something special when I turn 50 (this year) and decided a triathlon was something I would love to accomplish. I learned there were Sprints and did one last year - I'm hooked (and so is my wife now).

Swimming is my archilles heel, I'm on my 3rd coach, but this one is a triathlete and is helping with my balance through the Total Immersion methodology. It's frustrated because now I'm starting all over and trying to erase all my bad habits.

I'm a fair biker - recent Duathlon @ 17.7mph (18mile distance).

I ran alot of 5Ks until 9 yrs ago. I burnt out trying to run a sub 7min. pace, but achieved it. Recent Duathlon pace was 25:43 (5K), bike, 24:22 (5K).

joe

2011-04-28 8:49 PM

Regular

I guess I should introduce myself!

I just turned 48, I'm married with 3 kids and 4 grandchildren; yeah, the kids aren't really kids anymore.

I've been into working out since I was a teen, but nothing competitive. Like most lives, there have been ups and downs with respect to health and fitness, and some of the ups have been very 'up', in terms of fitness. The last time I was 'up' was about 10 years ago; I weighed 190-ish and I had boundless energy it seemed.

Last year I had a renaissance, and I am going back to an 'up'. What's really exciting is that I didn't think it was possible, I thought I was now too old to truly have an 'up', but late in the year the fitness center I belong to had an indoor triathlon, along with a pre-triathlon event that changed everything. Prior to that I just worked out kinda aimlessly, just pumping iron as I listened to my tunes, but suddenly, and for the first time in a long time...I was in a competition. As a kid I shied away from competition, it just wasn't me, but last year a light bulb went off. The pre-tri event awarded people who ran or biked or swam the most distances, and special awards for those that did all three, of which I was one of those. I couldn't believe how into the pre-event I was,  staying hours and hours at the gym logging miles in all three events, getting into decent shape. After that was the actual triathlon event, which seemed almost anticlimatic after the pre-tri, but I placed third in a field of mostly fitness center members, albeit some fit ones.

Since then I did another indoor tri, and a 5k; where once life was boring and 'over', it has bloomed and I am involved in something bordering on passion, something I haven't felt in a long time. 

I am entered in a 'real' triathlon early June, plan to run the Crim, a big road race here in Michigan, as well. I would like to do another Triathlon before the season ends. Ultimately, my goal is to graduate from sprints to Olympics to HIM's and ultimately an IM. An IM would be nice if it happened in my fiftieth year, I guess we'll see.

I was going to go this year on my own, really, but I do feel a tug for the comraderie of other triathletes, to belong TO something bigger than myself. To celebrate an event with those who 'get it'.

I asked to be in this group because I liked what I read in your history SWMBA, your weight loss, which I plan to emulate, as well as the improvements you made as a runner/swimmer; I can see myself doing that as well.

So...on with the show...what are the expectations of our 'group', are we supposed to do something or are you here to answer questions and give sage advice?

2011-04-28 10:22 PM

New user

Hi Andy,

I'd like to join your group. I'm Mary, and I'm brand new to the sport. I decided to try it to lose some weight ( 10 lbs)  and get back in shape.  I just started working out  in April and turned 51.  I'd like to try a Sprint race sometime next fall.

Background: I swam on the swim team in junior high, so that is coming back pretty quickly. Up to 800 yds across April.   Biking i've done on and off, but not much distance.  I find it fun and relaxing, just need to increase my time and distance.   Running is my biggest challenge.  I've played soccer in past years, but find running kind of boring with out the little ball to kick and run after. I'm going to play soccer again and then once I get back in shape see if I can convert to just straight running.

I do yoga most days and am nursing an Achilles tendon injury back to health.  I moved to Texas last fall and so will have find a way to keep training in the heat across the summer.

Family & Professional Status: Single with 2 grown Kids (26 & 20). Have a job that keeps me busy 50 hrs a week or so ( at a desk, though, so need to get out and exercise!).

Goals: lose 10 lbs, Finish a Sprint distance Triathlon, and not get InjuredCool.

2011-04-28 11:03 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Welcome to the group Joe, glad to have you. I have done the mentor program the last two years, typically during the winter where folks need an extra boost to stick with the training over the winter. Having a whole group of people following along with your progress can be some great motivation to get out the door when you really don't feel like it. I know Pam can relate up in Green Bay. This is the first time I've done the Spring mentor groups, where the challenge turns from motivating people to get thr the winter to getting ready to take on their first race, get their max effort on their A race, or survive their first Ironman. Everyone in the group has some insights they can bring to the table. For example I am battling through my first case of PF in my foot, and I got some advice from Tuna and Tom which helped alot.

Any topics you want to go into let me know.

Tonight I did one of my favorite workouts. A spinning class at the YMCA. Why? First off is balance. None of us are professional triathletes, we have jobs, families, kids, and other responsibilities which can make our time a premium. Somethings that means structuring a workout around my kids activities. Both my boys do karate at the local YMCA, and fortunately there are cycling classes at the same time, so we get a family trip to the Y. Second cycling is a great workout. I don't try and replace my biking milage with a cycling class but rather i look at the classes as a change of pace workout. Most of my rides are long steady tempo ride, where cycling class is an interval set. Short intense bursts of energy, sprints, hills, even jumps pump up the heart rate. One of the true tests of your fitness level is how fast you recover and interval sets force you to work on that if you give max effort. I also enjoy the fact that a group of people at totally different ages and fitness levels can get together and do the same workout. In cycling you follow the instructors lead but you control the pace and the resistance which allows you to dictate the effort. In a 45 min to and hour class I get a great workout, get to work on form, speed and hills, and get to listen to some music and enjoy the people in the class. Cycing classes have certainly helped my hill climbing skills and are a staple of my workout diet which I look forward to each week. It does help to have instructors who have an outdoor cycling background, vice one that wants to turn it into Zumba on a bike (had a class like that in NY... not pretty). I would not reccommedn you get the majority of your bike miles in a cycle class but an class a week can certainly enhance your riding. Best part is the YMCA offers the classes for free.

Andy
2011-04-28 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Welcome aboard Mary.
2011-04-29 2:51 PM

User image

New user

Shropshire

Hi Andy - can i call you that, its quicker than Southwestmba?

I'm in my first season of Tri and my second of running. I was not sporty at all prior to this.  I have done a few 5ks a few 10ks and 2 HMs.  I love racing.  I recently did my 1st sprint tri and LOVED it. Even though i fell of my bike and got road rash down one side of my face. I couldn't see by the tuesday due to the swelling - but i still finished it, running with a bloody face (and a really poor bike split).  I still smile thinking of how much fun it was.

I have my second sprint tri May 22nd, a 1500m sea swim in June then my BiG TRI the 'olympic sea swim tri' in July.  I'm crapping it - excuse my french!  I could use some good company as i train. I recently moved and know no one to train with and get support so virtual support would be great.

Stephanie

2011-04-29 4:31 PM

Orange County, CA

I would like to join your group if you still have openings.

A little about me...  I decided to get in shape with a New Year's resolution January 2008.  I weighed 189 and I am 5'7".  I lost about 15 lbs by doing the elliptical off and on.  I was only half committed to staying in shape and was struggling to be consistent with my exercise but still managed to hover around 175-180.  On a whim I joined a 5k turkey trot November 2009 and struggled to finish in 10 minute miles.  I could do an hour on the elliptical at a high resistance and maintain a good speed but I was embraced with my time on the 5k.  I couldn't handle seeing little kids that looked about 5 years old passing me while I was huffing and puffing my way to a slow 5k finish.  In January I signed up for a half marathon that was for May of 2010.  From that first half marathon last May I have been hooked.  I have now run 3 half marathons, 2 full marathons and another 5k.  While 2010 was a year to run I view 2011 as the year to get into triathlons.  I completed my first sprint distance in February and have my first Olympic distance on May 22.  I swam in high school so that portion has been somewhat easy for me and the run is not that scary to me at this point.  My biggest weakness is the bike as I have not owned a bike since high school. That is a little over 20 years without any biking.  I bought a nice used tri bike and have been biking as much as I can but I still feel a little lost here.

My ultimate goal is to do a HIM next April and eventually get up to a full IM.  I look forward to joining your group and getting some good advice from someone who has been there before.

Thank you.

Brad

2011-04-29 4:46 PM

Hey Andy,

I'd like to be a part of this group.

I'll keep this pretty short. Live in Fort Worth, TX. Swam in school. Ran 1 marathon and a couple halves in college, and tri just seemed to be the next thing to do. Basically no bike experience until this year. Currently have 2 sprints under my belt, with an oly next month and a HIM in June that I'm excited (but scared to death about). Goal is really just to finish it, but looking for a time of 6:30. Ultimate goal is to someday do a full IM, maybe next year.

Looking forward to learning from a seasoned vet.

Steven

2011-04-29 6:13 PM

User image

Chandler, AZ

Ok group,

I just completed my run according to my 16 week, balanced program.  It was my second run of the week but the first run with a HRM.  I calculated my 'estimated' MHR at 179.  According to my instructions for training, I am to train in zone I and II (70-75% MHR or 125-135).  I hit that heart rate with a very slow jog after about 30 seconds.  I split my jog into thirds with 2 min walking between the sets. It took about one minute to bring my HR back to zone II. 

Question:  Will this get better?  Should I jog slower? (I don't know if that is possible...I was already so slow).  My percieved exertion wasn't too high.  I didn't have any labored breathing nor was I feeling tired.  What do you suggest when my HR spikes so quickly?  Should i just train through it? 

Thank, in advance for you comments and suggestions!

2011-04-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3470879

Regular

Hi Crea!

Wow, sucks about the snow, that must really affect the biking, do you use snow tires? I know stupid, but I couldn't resist! Here in Michigan instead of the snow we've been getting rain. Unbelievable amounts of rain, like ark building rain. The grayness affected me most; I'm one of those SAD types for sure.

It's funny how adversity can bring out the best in you; during my first indoor tri I totally lost track of time between the swim and the run. Next thing I know someone is coming to get me in the locker room telling me they are about to start! I get it in gear, zip out of the locker room and head across the gym to the spin bike section; everyone had already started. I jumped on mine and BOOM I pedaled like there was no tomorrow. I imagined myself WAY behind but when the results were in I had the fastest bike time! Not that the others were world class spin bikers mind you, but I was pleasantly surprised. Smile

2011-04-29 7:54 PM

Regular

I did some swim training today; I follow one of the free BT programs and I was to swim 1150 yrds today. I broke up the distance however into swim 'sprints' of different distances; I started at 100 meters for a few, then 200 meters for a couple. Some 150's and 250's because I kept losing track of how far I went; I have ADD in the pool, anything over 100 (it's a 25 yard pool) and focus deteriorates. I ended up doing 1250 because of that, but no biggie.

My best time was a 1:52/100 yard average, based on a 150 yard swim. Progress; I was doing 2:10-ish a few weeks ago. I'm studying Terry Laughlin's TI techniques.

I guess the question that begs to be asked is should I have swam the whole distance in one shot or is it allowed to break it up?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14